Bad Customer Service At Movie Theater

Ohyesuare

Tried to go see Life of Pi tonight in 3D, paid about 500 baht for two regular tickets and about a 1/4 of the way through the movie it shuts off. After waiting about 10 minutes, it comes back on for another few minutes and then shuts off again. Eventually everyone starts leaving and there are no apologies or offers of refunds or another ticket. They are just waiting to collect the stupid glasses and that's it. Not sure if I can name the hotel or not but I think it is obvious which one.

I went to see that last week.

if you're talking about the same cinema that I went to on level number 6 of the shopping centre it's your own fault if you and everyone else that you say got up and simpy left didn't go and seek out management at the earliest opportunity and report what happened and insist that you either get a refund or a replacement ticket to go back when they sorted out their problems?

blink.png

Edited by Asiantravel
  • Like 2

if you're talking about the same cinema that I went to on level number 6 of the shopping centre it's your own fault if you and everyone else that you say got up and simpy left didn't go and seek out management at the earliest opportunity and report what happened and insist that you either get a refund or a replacement ticket to go back when they sorted out their problems?

blink.png

A little pro activeness on the part of the Management and Staff in preparation for these 'little issues' would not have gone amiss.

In the absence of a better alternative (i.e. a quick on-site fix) the next best thing is either a refund or a voucher for the cost of the tickets - Its not difficult to provide customer service in Thailand or anywhere else. In this case the management should've been well aware of what was going on and instead of being proactive possibly hid from complaint.

In many situations in Thailand I see the most common course of action to an issue is no action whatsoever. No one wants to take responsibility no one is proactive in dealing with an issue. I feel the Op has a valid gripe but also agree that with this being Thailand we know what the issues are and he could've done more to direct a solution more to his liking... i.e. refund or voucher.

blink.png

A little pro activeness on the part of the Management and Staff in preparation for these 'little issues' would not have gone amiss.

In the absence of a better alternative (i.e. a quick on-site fix) the next best thing is either a refund or a voucher for the cost of the tickets - Its not difficult to provide customer service in Thailand or anywhere else. In this case the management should've been well aware of what was going on and instead of being proactive possibly hid from complaint.

In many situations in Thailand I see the most common course of action to an issue is no action whatsoever. No one wants to take responsibility no one is proactive in dealing with an issue. I feel the Op has a valid gripe but also agree that with this being Thailand we know what the issues are and he could've done more to direct a solution more to his liking... i.e. refund or voucher.

Look it always amazes me how reticent the Thai people are to complain in situations like this even when they would be perfectly justified to do so. But in any case, foreigners are not in that situation and I am like Jingthing and I would have been the first one back at the ticket counter! You pay your money and you expect to get what you paid for.

Because everyone simply got up and left, which wasn't very wise, maybe they have now lost the opportunity to complain or seek a refund. But this still wouldn't put me off doing what the walking man suggests which is to write a letter and address to the senior management of the company in Bangkok describing exactly what happened. It's a big company and in any case it wouldn't cost them anything to compensate OP ? In the letter he should express his disappointment at having missed out on seeing the movie which he had been looking forward to for a long time but say that he would be happy to overlook the incident upon receiving replacement tickets. I know I was looking forward to seeing it for a long time and if I had been in this situation, there is no way I would have let them off!

Edited by Asiantravel

Sure I would have accepted a voucher but I wouldn't have left there with nothing. I find something a little fishy about this report. Are we supposed to believe the entire audience accepted being ripped off that way?

that is exactly what i thought !!thumbsup.gif

Edited by Asiantravel

Sure I would have accepted a voucher but I wouldn't have left there with nothing. I find something a little fishy about this report. Are we supposed to believe the entire audience accepted being ripped off that way?

Everyone was complaining to the staff but they just said what can we do? Then everyone just gave the glasses back and left.

Everyone was complaining to the staff but they just said what can we do? Then everyone just gave the glasses back and left.

That's the way it is in Thailand. You don't argue with someone who's wearing a uniform, even if it's from a cleaning company.

• Like 1

This is hard to believe.

Went to the cinema at BIG C to see an Adam Sandler film. Paid with CHIP and PIN using my credit card. Whilst watching the film the staff crawled up next to me and tried to get me to sign the receipt on which was written 'No Signature Required'. They wouldn't stop badgering me and the film was utter rubbish anyway. So I asked for my money back....and they gave me a full refund.

Went to the cinema at BIG C to see an Adam Sandler film. Paid with CHIP and PIN using my credit card. Whilst watching the film the staff crawled up next to me and tried to get me to sign the receipt on which was written 'No Signature Required'. They wouldn't stop badgering me and the film was utter rubbish anyway. So I asked for my money back....and they gave me a full refund.

Adam Sandler?, bad movie?..really? I find that hard to believe!

op cant believe you just let it slide.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Yeah op is not sure how much the tickets cost and then mentions it was at a hotel, something fishy with this one for sure.

Edited by Spoonman

This is hard to believe.

No it's not.

I left BKK on a "blue" inter-provincial bus in a rainstorm on a 450-km. trip. About 100 km out of BKK, the bus broke down. We were told to get off and wait for a replacement bus to come. We got off in the downpour, and the bus revved up its motor and took off. But we were told it broke down?

In about an hour, another bus came, but it was from another company. After boarding, the guy riding shotgun came down the aisles and charged everyone the full fare (BKK to destination) again! I didn't hear a peep from anyone.

Yes, in this case, the entire "audience" accepted their apparent bad karma--standing like sheep in the driving rain, and then meekly paying the double fare. I was new in Thailand, watching them for cues of how I should respond, and yes, I did get my cue. Just accept your fate.

As long as the unwashed masses act like this, customer service will never rise above a third-world level.

Edited by Fookhaht
  • Like 2

My wife hates it when I drag her round the stores seeking a refund or repair on some latest bit of household appliance (made under supervision of Thais in Thailand) that has broken down in its guarantee period. It's a good game guessing how many barriers will be put up in your way and how many locations within and outside the store you will be pushed on to. I love the look of shock/uncertainty that comes over customers service girls faces when faced with someone who has not adopted the Thai-fate approach to quality issues.

I havent failed to get things fixed or refunded (rare) yet, but the game is over as I soon learned to buy made in Japan/Korea etc or at least branded/supervised by a proper manufacturer.

• Like 2

This is hard to believe.

No it's not.

I left BKK on a "blue" inter-provincial bus in a rainstorm on a 450-km. trip. About 100 km out of BKK, the bus broke down. We were told to get off and wait for a replacement bus to come. We got off in the downpour, and the bus revved up its motor and took off. But we were told it broke down?

In about an hour, another bus came, but it was from another company. After boarding, the guy riding shotgun came down the aisles and charged everyone the full fare (BKK to destination) again! I didn't hear a peep from anyone.

Yes, in this case, the entire "audience" accepted their apparent bad karma--standing like sheep in the driving rain, and then meekly paying the double fare. I was new in Thailand, watching them for cues of how I should respond, and yes, I did get my cue. Just accept your fate.

As long as the unwashed masses act like this, customer service will never rise above a third-world level.

That was a bus. This was in a modern movie theater in a luxury shopping mall dominated by international customers. I don't believe if the movie really wasn't shown that many people didn't attempt to get refunds or vouchers. I can believe the glasses collecting people were not communicative though. The place to complain was at the ticket desk.

I don't believe for one minute that the whole cinema just left and said nothing. The Op also never says if he bothered to ask for a refund. It annoys me that people always expect the OTHER person to complain. Grow a pair a do it yourself. This myth that Thais never complain and always accept when there is a problem is complete crap. I am married to a thai and she nor any of her family and friends have a problem pointing out when things are not up to standard.

Oh and as someone already mentioned, what the hell is the op talking about when he says hotel?

• Like 1

Writing Hotel was a typo, meant to say under a hotel. The staff were ignoring me when I asked for a manager, the lineup at the ticket counter was really long as well and my Thai GF was saying there was no way we would get a refund so I believed her and accepted the loss. It wasn't worth it to me anyway lining up and trying to beg for a refund of 480 baht only to possibly hear cannot.

The topic is bad customer service anyway not about getting a refund. When something similar happened in my home country the manager was outside the theater apologizing and handing out free ticket vouchers. This was in a theater that wasn't half as nice as the one here.

Those who are saying it is fishy, I didn't register yesterday and just wanted to warn anyone who might go to the theater that if something goes wrong what to expect. What do I have to gain from making it up or embellishing the facts?Ridiculous.

• Like 2

It's not what you said before; it's what you didn't say about how you didn't even bother to seek a refund. I say there is no way you couldn't have gotten a refund if you had pursued it. I agree there should have been an announcement in the theater but not at all surprised that there wasn't.

You say there is no way I wouldn't have gotten a refund, what do you base your assumption on? I would believe my Thai girlfriend who goes to watch many movies, has had a similar experience before and is no pushover, over you sorry. Trust me she was pissed and making it known, if a refund was possible she would be first in line.

Anyway still bad customer service like I have come to expect in many places in pattaya. I am over it and won't be going back there, wouldn't have gone in the first place if Major was showing it in 3D. I won't be back to this thread either but carry on defending them if you wish and saying I am fishy and making stuff up. If at least one person heeded my warning it was worth it for me.

I just wanted to add my own experience at this very same theater not that long ago. I bought 2 tickets for a premium movie and was inside watching it when I received a call from my wife that someone had hit our car in the parking lot. I left the theater to join her in the lot to see what was going on. While we were waiting for the insurance guy to turn up and take pictures I went back inside the theater and asked for the manager. I explained I was just watching a movie but had to leave as we had other matters to deal with and asked for a pass to come back and see the movie again at a later date. The manager gave me his personal cell number and wrote on my tickets to allow me to view a movie at another time. A few weeks later I had time for a movie so I called him prior to heading down and he said all is clear and sure enough I was able to see a movie (2 tickets) without the need to pay again.

Now, this was no fault of the theater that I couldn't sit through the original movie I paid for. Just asking the manager was all it took to come up with a completely acceptable solution.

Lesson here is, just ask or you'll never know the answer. That said, it is a bit disappointing that the employees (manager) at the theater doesn't make an effort to be proactive in handing out free vouchers in case of a situation like mentioned in the OP. A little forethought goes a long way indeed. I'm sure that no one that actually took the time to address this with management was refused a refund or a voucher to come see the movie at a later date. Blame the staff for not being proactive. Blame yourself for not being reactive.

Edited by Jayman

Lesson here is, just ask or you'll never know the answer. That said, it is a bit disappointing that the employees (manager) at the theater doesn't make an effort to be proactive in handing out free vouchers in case of a situation like mentioned in the OP. A little forethought goes a long way indeed. I'm sure that no one that actually took the time to address this with management was refused a refund or a voucher to come see the movie at a later date. Blame the staff for not being proactive. Blame yourself for not being reactive.

... and especially at a cinema where the majority of the seats are empty at most sessions. The cinema would lose nothing by giving out vouchers to watch the movie at another time... but they lose a lot of goodwill by not offering them.

Writing Hotel was a typo, meant to say under a hotel. The staff were ignoring me when I asked for a manager, the lineup at the ticket counter was really long as well and my Thai GF was saying there was no way we would get a refund so I believed her and accepted the loss. It wasn't worth it to me anyway lining up and trying to beg for a refund of 480 baht only to possibly hear cannot.

The topic is bad customer service anyway not about getting a refund. When something similar happened in my home country the manager was outside the theater apologizing and handing out free ticket vouchers. This was in a theater that wasn't half as nice as the one here.

Those who are saying it is fishy, I didn't register yesterday and just wanted to warn anyone who might go to the theater that if something goes wrong what to expect. What do I have to gain from making it up or embellishing the facts?Ridiculous.

So you didn't bother to ask for a refund or comps because your Thai GF basically didn't want to hang around? Sorry mate but why would she when it's not her cash. As to there being no manager waiting to greet you baring gifts gimme a break. Did you even stop to think that maybe he was balls deep in projector problems in the booth. I speak from experience BTW.