Farm Photos

shaggy1969

Bookman.....I think that whelk is the correct name (if not then maybe one of you guy's can give me the correct name)

They are a fresh water snail like thing(photo bottom left)...and they taste like fishy old boots bah.gif

P1010122-001.JPG

@ David.....these were the small shrimps nets that I was talking about before,only about 1.5 ft in depth.

In Europe they would be called winkles ('cause you need to "winkle" them out of their shells with a pin)

Whelks would be their much larger marine cousins.

Regards.

• Like 1

What is a 'whelk' shaggy?

It's a Welsh Elk Bookman. The Druids (Shaggy's tribe) chop them up and boil them and pretend they are sea food.:) Not really. Please tell me you guessed.:rolleyes:

Regards.

Bookman.....I think that whelk is the correct name (if not then maybe one of you guy's can give me the correct name)

They are a fresh water snail like thing(photo bottom left)...and they taste like fishy old boots :bah:

P1010122-001.JPG

@ David.....these were the small shrimps nets that I was talking about before,only about 1.5 ft in depth.

Your "Whelk" is more known under the name "Water Morning Glory", you can Wiki it for pictures and more information.

In the picture where they cook it over a charcoal fire it's cooked for the pigs (mixed with rice). For human consumption

they sell it raw and it ends mostly as "Pad Pak Bung Fai Daeng" - yummy.

The snail is mostly feed to...,yes, you guessed right... Ducks, protein power food to the extreme-

gives the eggs a nice orange yolk ( a lot of work bec all snails have to be de-shelled first ); people eating it? Yeah right,

it's a great starter combined with a swill of sisib as aperitif...

The small shrimps in your picture are more a cocktail of baby shrimp and baby fish ideally still alive while eating, the Esan

equivalent to pop rocks...

Have a good night, I love Farm Photos!

• Like 2

In Europe they would be called winkles ('cause you need to "winkle" them out of their shells with a pin)

Whelks would be their much larger marine cousins.

Regards.

Winkles....that takes me back to my childhood.

I can remember many a day winkle picking as a boy.

If we didn't come back with at least half a carrier bag full,then it was a bad day.

The only bad side was crunching on the odd bit of sand when eating them.bah.gif

They also gave name to a style of shoe....winkle pickers.

The long pointed pointed tip of the shoe was supposed to resemble the picker used for extracting the winkles.

• Like 1

Hi Chonburiram and thanks for dropping by thumbsup.gif

You are correct about the plant being called water morning glory or water spinach.

Also about the small fish and shrimp can be eaten raw...the fish were a bit boney for my liking though and I like my shrimps pink.smile.png

We also used to give the pigs and ducks the roes and innards,the white meat was sold at market or used as a replacement in the som tam.

I would like to share Shaggy will be going to his farm-home, very soon and I'd like to wish him all the best and all the love.

Thanks DAL and right back at ya !!!!

Only a week to go now thumbsup.gif

I hope that you guy's will bare with me until the weekend with the photos.

I still have some that I would like to post....so you might be getting a bit of a barrage over the next few days blink.png

Some Garden pictures; yes in my opinion the habaneros are just as cute as the ducklings.

The yellow dragon fruit comes from Columbia; when growing you better not touch it; when ripe you can just magically wipe a way the needles !!

Picture%2520853.jpg

Picture%2520856.jpg

Picture%2520857.jpg

Picture%2520860.jpg

Picture%2520861.jpg

Picture%2520865.jpg

Have you got any cuttings of the yellow dragon fruit?

Some Garden pictures; yes in my opinion the habaneros are just as cute as the ducklings.

The yellow dragon fruit comes from Columbia; when growing you better not touch it; when ripe you can just magically wipe a way the needles !!

Have you got any cuttings of the yellow dragon fruit?

I import most of this things; to translate it into baht, it would be a ridiculous amount by Thai standards.

I do it for fun not profit; if you have some exotic fruit you can trade, I will be happy to exchange with you.

Poy-Sian

attachicon.gifIMG_1540.jpg

The indistinguishable Dom-dom.

I would like to share Shaggy will be going to his farm-home, very soon and I'd like to wish him all the best and all the love.

Poy-Sian... Is a translation from Chinese Hokkien dialect Poy meaning the numeric 8, Sian meaning fairy. The product was original made by Thai Chinese. Poy-Sian - 8 Fairies.

Further reading The Eight Immortals

Addictive smile.png

Edited by RedBullHorn

You see limes in Tesco for about 2 baht each sometimes, it really make you wonder if they would be worth anyone growing commercially sad.png

Speaking of limes, I got my old neighbour kid to do some air layering this afternoon... I accidentally chopped some baby lime plants with my new neighbour w00t.gifso promised I would replace wink.png

IMG_3464.JPG

IMG_3465.JPG

The secret ingredient ! painted on to the wound...

IMG_3481.JPG

Bags filled with soil....(not coconut fiber) that surprised me, but he assures me it will work.... and knowing this kid, it will.thumbsup.gif

IMG_3502.JPG

Tied securely to the stem! with a torn up T shirt!

IMG_3502.JPG

One of four he did five months ago... already has a fruit thumbsup.gif

IMG_3512.JPG

He says ready in one month... we'll see!

If you have your plantation and your own Manow stall, they fetch ฿5 EACH at peak season (super low supply and super high demand)

Charlie Boom Town !!!

When i was managing bars in Singapore, Lemon cost S$0.50/each and a pack of lime the size of a golf ball, 7 in a pack filmed styrofoam cost S$2.20 Imported !!! Do the math per slice for Vodka Lime and Margarita pouring @ at least 150 jugs and 5 cartons of Tequila per night ! facepalm.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1