Vanessa Mae Aims To Ski For Thailand At The Winter Olympics

webfact

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess the reason she is not competing on the British ski team is due to the world class ski facilities, training and coaches that the Thailand winter olympics team has?

exactly - can't get in the British team so takes advantage of the passport

What specific event(s) is she planning to compete in? For most events, she would need to meet int'l qualification standards. However, for downhill skiing and/or giang slalom, I believe that every country has the option to enter a competitor. Maybe that's changed now, but in a prior W. Olympics, not long ago, I recall seeing a man from Chad or Mali competing in downhill. He and another similarly challenged competitor had to 'snowplow' all the way down.

The violinist is a British citizen but she also holds a Thai passport. She was born in Singapore to a Chinese mother and a Thai father but she was brought up in England.

I like Tom Yum Goom and have been to Koh Samui twice. Can I enter the luge team ? cheesy.gif

• Like 1

The violinist is a British citizen but she also holds a Thai passport. She was born in Singapore to a Chinese mother and a Thai father but she was brought up in England.

I like Tom Yum Goom and have been to Koh Samui twice. Can I enter the luge team ? cheesy.gif

Sure! if you are delugenal.

This is hilarious. I hear the second choice candidate is a hostess who slipped on an ice cube. biggrin.png

Why is it hilarious? She's been skiing since she was 4. She lives in a ski field. I would guess that she's a pretty good skier.

There's good and there's Olympic standard. I know people who've played football from age 4 and they wont be in the World Cup any time soon.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know what are the current requierements to qualify for olympics. I remember the Albertville's olympics where there was an african skier who finished a giant slalom a few minutes behind everybody, it was an embarrasment for morocco. How did he manage to get there?

Well if they have tightened the requirement since then, I think her chances to qualify are close to null, competition is just too harsh!

Anyway, good luck to her, this woman seems really awesome.