The Future Has Arrived.......in Malaysia

ExpatOilWorker

Just arrived at a remote corner of Malaysia and the staff house had the below little wonder for Internet. Just plug it to a power socket and you have your own instant bubble of Wifi, anywhere, anytime, or at least where there is mobile coverage.

Limitation is 1 Mbps download speed and 20 GB/month, but good enough for normal Internet usage. (http://www.p1.com.my/forhome/?focus=plan)

Most people are now paying both for a TOT fixed line and TRUE Internet, but this WiMAX could replace both.

I guess there is no CAT to stop the business mouse being innovative in Malaysia.

post-119133-0-30944600-1360024695_thumb.

Huh? This is like subscribing to TOT, getting their modem, plugging a wifi box into it and you got wifi anywhere, anytime!

what don't I understand?

There is no need to plug in a phone cable, ONLY connect power and you have wifi. You could bring it to a resort, road trip, second home, etc.....it connect through the mobile network.

On their website I did not see WiMax metioned. Maybe this is using HSPA for mobile connection?

Ah.. friend just posted this. This is what LTE looks like.. I wish to have one :)

2470624561.png

On their website I did not see WiMax metioned. Maybe this is using HSPA for mobile connection?

Ah.. friend just posted this. This is what LTE looks like.. I wish to have one smile.png

2470624561.png

Amazing speed in Finland. They do mention WiMAX in the FAQ section:

• 1. What is P1 4G?
    P1 is one of the pioneers to launch WiMAX services (called P1 4G) on the 2.3 GHz band in the world, and the FIRST in Malaysia, to bring WiMAX to your doorstep!

Ah.. friend just posted this. This is what LTE looks like.. I wish to have one smile.png

2470624561.png

That's his/her local speed within Finland.

Ask him/her to do an international test to Parsippany using DSLreports: http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1

• 1. What is P1 4G?
    P1 is one of the pioneers to launch WiMAX services (called P1 4G) on the 2.3 GHz band in the world, and the FIRST in Malaysia, to bring WiMAX to your doorstep!

Ok, thanks. I was a bit surprised that WiMAX is coming back again. It was supposed to be just an temporary solution before LTE / 4G comes.

2470624561.png

That's his/her local speed within Finland.

Ask him/her to do an international test to Parsippany using DSLreports: http://www.dslreport...eedtest?flash=1

That's irrelevant in this case as we talk about technology (last link), not the international speeds.

Anyway the internaltional links are pretty good in Finland. Furthermore google has setup their data center in the country, so I expect for example youtube to be pretty fast.

I was looking at living in KL and researched all the internet options and discovered that many people were unhappy with wimax due to unreliability.. Best deal for high speed & high usage, as I remember, was Time Fibre (also resold by Astro.) This was a couple of years back but packet1 was already well launched... I think they had/ have had problems recouping their investment or something.

Edited by RandomSand

It is just a mobile hotspot with a SIM card - not see what is so special about this beside it is very big, my mobile hotspot is just the size a package of sigarettes.

Yeap, many, many smartphones, like my 9000 baht Samsung Ace 2 phone, comes with Hotspot capability which I use periodically in allowing my Wifi-only tablet to tap into my smartphone's 3G data plan/internet. But when staying in a hotel, etc., it's nice for the staff to hand you a hotspot device allowing your smartphones/tablets/laptops to tap into the internet.