British Ambassador Announces New Honorary Consul For Pattaya

Rimmer

British Ambassador announces new Honorary Consul for Pattaya

PATTAYA:--British Ambassador Mark Kent announced on 28 February 2013 that Mr Bert Elson had been appointed Honorary Consul to Pattaya.

Mark Kent said, ‘I would like to congratulate Bert on his appointment and I am delighted to welcome him to the team. All of us at the Embassy are looking forward very much to working with Bert in the coming months and years. A few weeks ago it was announced that Bert had been awarded the British Empire Medal in the New Year’s Honours list; well deserved recognition of the excellent work that Bert already does amongst the British community in Pattaya with the Royal British Legion.’

Mr Elson will be offering emergency assistance to British nationals in Pattaya, as part of the Embassy consular response coordinated by the Consular Team in Bangkok – in the same way as the Honorary Consuls in Koh Samui and Phuket. The Consular Team in Bangkok will continue to handle the day to day consular business in Pattaya, such as hospitalisations, arrests and prison visiting. Mr Elson will not be carrying out any documentary or notarial duties.

If you are a British national who needs help, please contact the British Embassy in Bangkok in the first instance. For more information about our services, please click here and to find out how to contact the British Embassy in Bangkok,

Source:http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=PressR&id=860116582

--UK in THAILAND 2013-02-28

British Embassy appoint new Honorary Consul for Pattaya

bert-2.jpg
PATTAYA:--Popular ex-pat, businessman and Royal British Legion Thailand Secretary and Welfare Chairman, Mr. Bert Elson BEM has been appointed as the new British Honorary Consul for Pattaya. The announcement was made today by the British Embassy.

Their choice is expected to be a popular one amongst the British Community in Pattaya. Mr. Elson has extensive experience in dealing with British ex-servicemen who experience welfare issues and is well-known by the local authorities and the Embassy who he has worked with over the years in some often complex welfare cases involving elderly and often vulnerable ex-servicemen.

Mr. Elson is taking on the challenging role after the recent closure of the British Consulate in Pattaya and only weeks after he received the British Empire Medal in the Queen’s New Years Honours List.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/76932/british-embassy-appoint-honorary-consul-pattaya/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-02-28

Congratulations.

Just a shame he wont be able to offer normal expats/tourists the kind of help that he can with his Royal British Legion hat on. Sad situation when a charity will look after you better abroad than your own government.

• Like 2

Congratulations.

Just a shame he wont be able to offer normal expats/tourists the kind of help that he can with his Royal British Legion hat on. Sad situation when a charity will look after you better abroad than your own government.

- or than your own family, perhaps...

• Like 1

Ive lived in Pattaya 23 years .--I don't know him. Maybe because I never needed help from the Uk government or ever needed to get out of jail or had visa trouble. Ive never heard of the Royal British legion, what the hell is that.

Could we be issued with some more information. Where is the RBL, Im not in the army, is it for ex service men.

• Like 1

Congratulations.

Yes I was wondering the same myself. For all the good they do here in Chiang Mai it is just an honorary position.

To the best of my knowledge all they do is verify income for immigration.

Funny you should mention charity. We had a fellow in real bad shape here with nothing and no one. We tried to get help from the British Consulate and zilch nada go sleep in the street. Fortunately there was a member of a Christian organization who stepped in and helped him get back to England.

Ive never heard of the Royal British legion, what the hell is that.

The Royal British Legion performs two main functions:

1.. The RBL is the UK's largest ex-servicemen's organisation, with over 800,000 members in over 3,000 branches worldwide, concentrating on ex-servicemen's welfare - the RBL Scotland is a separate and autonomous prganisation. The RBL organises and administers the poppy appeal each year prior to Remembrance Day, with the income going to ex-servicemen's welfare.

2. RBL local branches are also social clubs designed primarily for ex-servicemen who served in the ranks - while officers are not technically excluded from membership they do not customarily join the RBL unless they had extensive service in the ranks prior to commissioning; their welfare comes under a similar but separate organisation to the RBL, the Officers' Association, which receives a proportion of the Poppy appeal and similar donations. RBL membership was originally only open to ex-servicemen and their wives and female dependents, but relatively recently membership has been extended to include anyone who supports the RBL's aims, although it is still very much an ex-servicemen's club.

The RBL branch in Thailand was established in Pattaya five years ago by Bert Elson at his bar, Tropical Bert's, a year after he opened. There are some 200 local members and, unlike other traditional RBL local branches, a large number of members have no prior connection with the military and such membership is actively encouraged.

Bert Elson served in the Coldstream Guards for 22 years, reaching the rank of Lance Corporal.

Congratulations.

Yes I was wondering the same myself. For all the good they do here in Chiang Mai it is just an honorary position.

To the best of my knowledge all they do is verify income for immigration.

Funny you should mention charity. We had a fellow in real bad shape here with nothing and no one. We tried to get help from the British Consulate and zilch nada go sleep in the street. Fortunately there was a member of a Christian organization who stepped in and helped him get back to England.

Yes in many cases it far far cheaper to get them an air ticket than to let them fester and then need hospitalization i Bangkok Pattaya. Far cheaper

Ive never heard of the Royal British legion, what the hell is that.

The Royal British Legion performs two main functions:

1.. The RBL is the UK's largest ex-servicemen's organisation, with over 800,000 members in over 3,000 branches worldwide, concentrating on ex-servicemen's welfare - the RBL Scotland is a separate and autonomous prganisation. The RBL organises and administers the poppy appeal each year prior to Remembrance Day, with the income going to ex-servicemen's welfare.

2. RBL local branches are also social clubs designed primarily for ex-servicemen who served in the ranks - while officers are not technically excluded from membership they do not customarily join the RBL unless they had extensive service in the ranks prior to commissioning; their welfare comes under a similar but separate organisation to the RBL, the Officers' Association, which receives a proportion of the Poppy appeal and similar donations. RBL membership was originally only open to ex-servicemen and their wives and female dependents, but relatively recently membership has been extended to include anyone who supports the RBL's aims, although it is still very much an ex-servicemen's club.

The RBL branch in Thailand was established in Pattaya five years ago by Bert Elson at his bar, Tropical Bert's, a year after he opened. There are some 200 local members and, unlike other traditional RBL local branches, a large number of members have no prior connection with the military and such membership is actively encouraged.

Bert Elson served in the Coldstream Guards for 22 years, reaching the rank of Lance Corporal.

Great news that a man of relatively humble origins has been given this very challenging honarary post. You must be mad and all best wishes!

"Mr Elson will be offering emergency assistance to British nationals in Pattaya, as part of the Embassy consular response coordinated by the Consular Team in Bangkok – in the same way as the Honorary Consuls in Koh Samui and Phuket. The Consular Team in Bangkok will continue to handle the day to day consular business in Pattaya, such as hospitalisations, arrests and prison visiting. Mr Elson will not be carrying out any documentary or notarial duties."

So more like a Warden than an Honourary Consul then?

So what qualities does he have that make him suitable for the position of Honorary Consulate?

We've already had one failed appointment, I hope this guy will be more fortunate.

Isn't his bar one the nortorious Soi 6?

No top of so 6/1 and nothing like soi 6 bar scene. No doubt he will be dealing with the people who come here to frequent soi 6. Not an enviable job but good luck, nice chap.

So what qualities does he have that make him suitable for the position of Honorary Consulate?

We've already had one failed appointment, I hope this guy will be more fortunate.

No, not at all. Tropical Berts is an excellent English pub in the soi before soi 6. Several thaivisa gettogethers were held there in the past. Highly recommended.

No, not at all. Tropical Berts is an excellent English pub in the soi before soi 6. Several thaivisa gettogethers were held there in the past. Highly recommended.

Is it a BNP hangout?

Pity there is no notarial service.I posted my pension info [must be original] to the British Embassy in Bangkok. After 3 weeks I phoned the embassy and they said it had been posted EMS.

They gave me the tracking number which showed that it had gone to Banglaming ...Card at my address 23 January.5 days in Banglamung.Sent back to Prakhanong.and then on its way to Naklua and back to the embassy.

I was at home all day 23 January and no postman came to my home and I had been checking my mailbox daily since posting to the Emnassy.

I went to Banglamung where I saw the manager who checked the tracking then sent a man to see me who insisted that the postman HAD carded my mailbox.

I live in a secure village and my house is at the end of a soi where nobody walks.

I eventually collected my mail from an Embassy official at Pattaya remand prison where he was visiting.

The envelope from the Embassy was clearly addressed in black felt tip pen on a large brown packet.

I have been in touch with the head post office in Bangkok who asked for ,and received, a photo of the envelope from the embassy.

They have been very prompt [bangkok] and informed me 2 weeks ago that they have given all relevant details to Banglamung office who have yet to get in touch with me .