Blackout Of 2 Hours Imminent On April 5 If Energy Supply Is Critical: Thailand

webfact

Blackout of 2 hours imminent on April 5 if energy supply is critical

BANGKOK, 5 March 2013 (NNT)-Thailand’s three major electricity providers may resort to power cut in some parts of Bangkok and other provinces on April 5th for a period of less than 2 hours, to save energy for domestic consumption.

Myanmar has already announced that it will temporarily stop supplying natural gas to Thailand from April 5-13 to carry out maintenance work on the Yadana gas field. The news has prompted the Thai government and the electricity providers to find solutions to prevent blackouts fast.

The Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), the Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) and the Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA) met today to discuss solutions.

They have reportedly come up with 4 plans where the measure in the worst-case scenario would be to cut power supply in 30% of Bangkok and 70% in the rest of the country for no longer than 2 hours. However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage.

Three other approaches expected to be taken also include asking the industrial sector to lower their activities during peak hours, which last from 1-5 p.m., encouraging people to spend less energy and dispatching mobile electricity generators to help the public in case of emergency.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-03-05 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage.

That's nice. Low voltage causes compressors and motors to malfunction, over heat and burn out. Unbelievable.

Wow....... Think I will turn off my computer on the 5th.... :-)
  • Like 2

However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage.That's nice. Low voltage causes compressors and motors to malfunction, over heat and burn out. Unbelievable.

Not a bad idea to run it on the battery. If the voltage drops low enough it will burn out the transformer in the charger. If you see the lights going dim unplug your charger. And also unplug the ice box. Edited by Pimay1

"However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage."

Really ? I wonder who writes these "News" ... did they actually finish high-school ?

I love Thailand !!!

Thailand Number One !!!

luudee

Ban all worthless, needless, mobile devices for a week. Not only would that save enuf lekky, saddos with "smart" phones and dumb brains could have time to attempt to get their personalities back.

Luddite !

totster laugh.png

• Like 2

'Blackout of two hours imminent on April 5th if energy supply is critical'........!

Who writes this stuff, the same people who ask the questions for the pollsters?

And wasn't it 'Blackout of less than 2 hours' also?.........the accuracy gets lower as it's direct proportionally to the potential power ;)

-mel.

• Like 1

However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage.That's nice. Low voltage causes compressors and motors to malfunction, over heat and burn out. Unbelievable.

Not a bad idea to run it on the battery. If the voltage drops low enough it will burn out the transformer in the charger. If you see the lights going dim unplug your charger. And also unplug the ice box.
which is nonsense....we often have low voltage...some computer work, some not but non burn out the transformer.
  • Like 2

Not a bad idea to run it on the battery. If the voltage drops low enough it will burn out the transformer in the charger. If you see the lights going dim unplug your charger. And also unplug the ice box.
which is nonsense....we often have low voltage...some computer work, some not but non burn out the transformer.
Google is your friend. Or a friend to some...

http://www.ehow.com/info_8564304_effects-low-voltage-computers.html

"Most PCs are powered by a standard 110V wall socket. This single power source is responsible for delivering enough current for the entire system. If a fault exists with the outlet or the supporting power grid, most often you will experience a sudden and total loss of power without warning. This will immediately shut off your computer, and may create lost clusters or bad sectors to appear on your hard drive. In some rare instances, a sudden loss of power can cause sensitive electronic components such as RAM modules to short out and become unusable."

'Blackout of two hours imminent on April 5th if energy supply is critical'........!

And wasn't it 'Blackout of less than 2 hours' also?.........the accuracy gets lower as it's direct proportionally to the potential power wink.png

-mel.

I think the people that write this rubbish are from the Cultural Ministry......pretty much things as usual...no-one has a clue what's going on!

Flooding imminent, if it rains too much.

Egat can't make an accurate guesstimate? I would guess if they asked the whole country to empty and unplug their fridge for one day, it would be enough.

Throw in, making the day a half day for the factories and asking everyone to turn their ac up to 28c, and they could sell the surplus back to burma.

Up to you. If a power brick is rated at 110/220 volts and the volts drop to below 90 volts for an extended period of time the brick can not sustain it.

close all shopping malls during the whole day on the 5th April would be a better option. I am sure people can survive without going to any malls for one day.

I'm sure people can survive without malls, but why should retailers bear the brunt of the cuts? Any cuts should be shared equally.

• Like 1

However, if the energy supply does not reach the critical level, they will just consider lowering general voltage.

That's nice. Low voltage causes compressors and motors to malfunction, over heat and burn out. Unbelievable.

Lowering the voltage doesn't mean they will make it low. Lower is not the same as low.

If they had said, "April 1" , they would have had more credibility.rolleyes.gif

Given the unstable nature of the power source, i would strongly recommend a power down when your PC is not in use until the gas supplies stabilize. Rapid on/off sequences like those that may happen during a power glitch is murder on electronics. Whats worse is the power spikes that could accompany the glitches. Very nasty, esp with a 220 system.

Lowering the voltage doesn't mean they will make it low. Lower is not the same as low.

If I were you I would delete this post my friend.

cheesy.gif

totster whistling.gif

• Like 1

If I were you I would delete this post my friend.

Oh! 'Tis from the Welshman, Dave Jones, and he is seeing it from a sheep's perspective, so there may be some truth in his way of seeing things. .. ?

( In jest, Davey, before you get your sheep in a twist... ;) )

-mel.

And wasn't it 'Blackout of less than 2 hours' also?.........the accuracy gets lower as it's direct proportionally to the potential power wink.png

-mel.

They also told us we would only get a little water once upon a time...........................However 7 weeks later we did only have a "little water"

Start in Issan with all the red villages and blame the PTP government and not the Democrats for a change.

Now THAT is a good idea. But, of course, will never happen. Bangkok now is probably the primary target for power cuts, seeing as how PT lost the governers race. Time for payback.

Before it shuts down anyway whether you like it not not?

As soon as I hear the rumble of thunder I switch off and turn on the TV waiting for that screen to go blank too.