Fish Farming ... When It Goes Belly Up

David48

My maintenance people can not be here before Monday. I will start working on the aeration system then. In the meantime all I can do is pray. So far no deaths.

As an athiest I would put more faith in a begged,borrowed or stolen 3 inch petrol pump than the prayer.biggrin.png

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poachers were my first thought as well, I instantly got woted down by the wife. Of sourse she would watch them steal and swear it never happened. If they moved we will know when pump the big pond, that would be the only place they could go.

The brother in law is toughening up now, he sleeps out there.

Funny my brother in law jumped the gun today on fish sales. Agreed to deliver ten kilos. These fish have to be caught by pole. So we fished all day, not exactly work. Power was off at the house so better at the farm. We got ten kilos each fish 300 to 400 grams. The buyer wanted the price dropped to 60 baht a kilo. Before he was paying he would have done it and then tried to justify it to me. Now he is paying for the food he got the 70 baht, blamed it on me. That's OK he held his price.

Much different approach now that the money is coming out of his pocket. He needs to wait to do ten kilos they simply are not big enough yet. But, he put an extra 700 baht in his pocket today beyond the Pla Room sales.

He is being a real cheap charlie with the fish food, so I think it could be several months before we get to a Kilo size. Sadly he has screwed up my experiment with the Pla Mor underfeeding. My plan was to begin harvest in November not so sure is that is going to happen now. That one bothers me a bit. I had aleady bought all the food needed. He just needs to feed them.

I have tried to help him not make the mistakes I did. But, the truth is he just doesn't listen. The difference I had the money to recover from my mistakes. He doesn't I'm not putting any more money in it. So he will succeed or fail. He had 2,700 baht saved last week. Asked him today five days later he has 3K baht. If he continues like that he will fail. He has earned a minimum of 600 baht day in that five days.The next plamoor buy is 12,000 baht. They should be in place right now. I could double his income if I watered. But, I trained him befoer I gave it to him. I bailed him out by watering for a week. He simply doesn't listen. So it goes where it goes.

The way i look at that is it was meant for the family. I did my part.

He did something I thought was pretty smart, he put a fish pellet on the hook and used that for bait.

If there were poachers I know who they were I caught I them at it before. Of course my wife said they were not stealing. We will know in March.

There is netting around the litle pond now, where the pla mor are. I added oxygen to the pond, So when catch little buggers they go in there. Trying to get as many out the way as posible.

That wall on the outside guys is eight feet high, so it would be over the gate. If I can do it so can someone else.

Edited by ray23

Donald just a gentle hint the oxygen cost less then fish we lost. If you hav gas water pump, easy pumoping form the pond and pumping back into it creates agiataion if you spray the surface i wil create oxygen. But, wih sze of your ponds going to tak more then a water hose.

Tha is an expensive way to go, But, it will ge you buy until you get a proper system in. In speaking with Dom, night time is worse. Our are simple small oxygen pumps low volatage that run 7/24. I have added more since last april when we lost 21,000 baht in fish.

So the bottom line is you will pay one way or another. One way you get a total loss, the other way you get some money back. We have already had our first floater in this weather. We would have had a lot more had we not had the oxygen supply. Where normal ponds really don't need it. Our ponds are crammed with fish. Mkaes a bif difference. The Pla Moa and cat fish it's not as critical. But any type of Pla Nin it is.

The other thing I learned last year is to pay close attention to water quality.

So if you have pump like that, that you would normally use to transfer spray the surface of the water. It's not a long term solution. But, it will help. It's not the amount of water this tiem of year, it's oxygen.

The weather has changed but still over cast. Looks like I have dodged the bullet and no dead fish. Monday I will put for spray heads on poles in the water evenly distributed and driven by a 3 horse motor. I appreciate everyones concern and your recommended quick fixes.

Ray: Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to buy an 8 hp gasoline pump next week that has 4 inch inlets and outlets. I need the pump for water change and can also use it for aeration. I like the idea of several smaller air pumps with stones attached to them. They are easy to move about and use little electricity. I have one now that I used in a big aquarium and will probably buy a few more. They can run 24/7 especially at night. My big concern now will be March and April. The 3 hp pump with 4 water plumes is expensive to operate.

We have had this pump working 7/24 for three years now and not one problem, it uses very little power. It will hook to a garden hose, so you can set the oxygen where you want it turn you hook the garden hose to a 1/2 inch PVC pipe drill a ton of small holes in the PVC. Place a weight on the pipe. Give it about 12 inches so it will stay down. But, off the bottom.
It is inexpensive to operate and works great, as big as your pond is you wil probably need more then one. I will recommend this because I know it works.
We could actually find them here in Udon at a tropical fish shop. Below is the inforamtion on the shop in Bangkok that stocks them and wil ship to you. They are actually cheaper at the fish shop here in Udon. Sorry it's in Thai. A google search for the pump in Bangkok should fine the site.
In the three years we have done this we have not even cleaned the holes in the PVC still working fine. You do need an elctric out let where you are going to place the pump. Since the connection to the garden hose gives flexibiltiy, you dontl have to have the pump next to the pond. I alos suggest puting a lenth of rope at the end of the PVC so you can move it a you wish.
Maybe someone else can tell yuo how many pumps you will need for your pond. The pump puts our enough power that it will flaot the PVC holes aer not. That is why yuo need to wait it. We used a concrete block. Doesnl;t have to be fancy hust has to work
Yamano 180 pump
รหัสสินค้า: 000292
ราคา 3,500.00 บาท
รายละเอียด:
ปั้มลมลูกสูบให้กำลังลมแรง สามารถต่อออกหัวทรายใช้กับตู้ปลาได้ประมาณ 120 หัวกำลังไฟ 420 W

แรงลม 250 ลิตร/นาที

น้ำหนัก 8.8 กก.

แรงดันลม 0.038 Mpa

02/07/2550 (update 02/05/2554)

Ray: Many thanks this sure sounds like a simple less electricity solution. I will look for one on Monday.

Donald,I am at a loss to follow your logic,The pump Ray is referring to has an output of 250 L/M at 420 watts and may be ok for his little pond but is nowhere sufficient for a pond your size.

The pump ring blower (fan type) I recommended has an output of 620 L/M @370 watts at about the same price and as I use them on my 1 rai ponds I am well aware of their capabilities.

Ring blowers are used pretty much exclusively in most commercial set-ups.

Still as the ladies used to say to me "Up to You"biggrin.png

You don't need a 8 HP coupled with 4'' inlet/outlet. The Honda (genuine) engine coupled with 4'' inlet/outlet is sufficient. You just need to know where to place it. smile.png

The 4inch-8 hp combi I have seen around the shops is Chinese made, strange thing I noticed is that the pumping capacity is the same as the Honda and Kubota 3 inch combo with 5.5 and 6 hp.

Ozzy, they wouldn't admit it's MIC. They'll tell you MIT... Made in Taiwanxhappy.png.pagespeed.ic.w4JpNxlSQh.png !

For warranty convenient, get the MiT...Made in Thailand (genuine) with registration numbers engraved...

I've 6 engines (GX200 - 6.5HP), last me till now...5 years and counting...

Edited by RedBullHorn

What do the Thais do when this happens?

By cooking ... huh.png

post-104736-0-33298700-1382215488_thumb. post-104736-0-24090500-1382215491_thumb.

.. .. .. .. .. They turn this .. ... .. ....... .. .. . . .. into this ...

To remove and viruses etc ... then feed it back to the fish.

As for the smell ... I could not even begin to describe the smell ... sick.gif

The Thai Farmer ... some tough nuts ... nothing is wasted.

We have used the a 6 HP chinese pump for three years, changed the spark plug twice. We use it for transfer water from a very long ditance so far it has woked just fine. without a 800 meters pipe to run though I assure you it will spray one heck of a lot of water on the pond surface.

It's noisey as can be and you uses a good amount of gas.

These days I don't know what is cheaper gas or electricity.

Dom where can Donald find the system you use?

Somewhere back in my mind you made your using a deisel engine and and a air compressor from a bus. Has that changed?.

After my experience last April I do have more then just the 180 in the small pond now. I aready had them, so I just put them to work in one pond instaed of two. I Not so sure I really need them right now. But I know I will in april even after changing the water

That bucket of fish would not even come close to holding what I lost. The sad part beautiful Kilo size fish.

Gettign the information from you guys on water management, really helped a lot. Had I know I mght have saved them. But a lesson learned. I gave as many as possible to the local Thail's who dried them. who ate them that way no one died so I gurss they knew what they were doing. The balance I burned as quickly as possible

Edited by ray23

We have used the a 6 HP chinese pump for three years, changed the spark plug twice. We use it for transfer water from a very long ditance so far it has woked just fine. without a 800 meters pipe to run though I assure you it will spray one heck of a lot of water on the pond surface.

It's noisey as can be and you uses a good amount of gas.

These days I don't know what is cheaper gas or electricity.

Dom where can Donald find the system you use?

Any decent fish and aquarium shop will order them if they dont have the particular one you want in stock.

The shop in Wattana Nuwong Rd. near the Karen Hotel supply mine.

Starting tomorrow I will start working on my aeration system using existing 3 hp pumps. Will also look into buying a large air pump. Decided that a couple of small air pumps to go with the one I have will also be useful. If I can find the big air pump then I think I will be better off.

For the 8 hp Chinese pump I need it to move water from one lake to the other when I start drain and sein. Could also be a back up aireator.

I think that I am in for a sad awakening when I harvest the pla tab tem. When I count what is on the surface I don't see more than 200 or so. I put in 2000 at 3 different times fingerlings.Not sure where they went. Put in 1000 the first time and 1000 the second time RBH mentioned that he does not think there are 2000 in the pond.

Somewhere back in my mind you made your using a deisel engine and and a air compressor from a bus. Has that changed?.

Ray, the Rootes type supercharger is powered by 4hp electric and is piped to all the ponds which it aerates well through 4 inch commercial stones, but when used 24/7 it runs to about 8000 baht month,so it is now my standby system.

I installed the 370w ring blower I recommended to Donald and it caters well for 2 ponds of 1 rai each and 6000 Pla Nin.

The outlet of that pump is 11/4 inch so I installed a junction and floating 1inch pvc diagnally across two adjoining ponds.

Each line goes corner to corner of each pond with small stones on 20 inch droppers at 2 metre spacings,giving 30 stones in each pond.

Each 4 metre length of 1" pvc has a 2.5 litre bleach bottle affixed in the middle for flotation and each pipe length is joined by clear flexi tube and hose clamps,this allows the pipework to swing with the breeze if it wants as it only needs fixing to a stake each end.

This method of instalation makes it a cinch to disassemble for removal when pond is emptied for maintenance.

This type of pump is extremely quiet and vibration free so needs no fixing down(mine just sit on a concrete block).

I still use a small piston type like yours to supply air to the sales fish holding net as that net has to hold 50 kg of fish during busy times.

Starting tomorrow I will start working on my aeration system using existing 3 hp pumps. Will also look into buying a large air pump. Decided that a couple of small air pumps to go with the one I have will also be useful. If I can find the big air pump then I think I will be better off.

For the 8 hp Chinese pump I need it to move water from one lake to the other when I start drain and sein. Could also be a back up aireator.

I think that I am in for a sad awakening when I harvest the pla tab tem. When I count what is on the surface I don't see more than 200 or so. I put in 2000 at 3 different times fingerlings.Not sure where they went. Put in 1000 the first time and 1000 the second time RBH mentioned that he does not think there are 2000 in the pond.

Donald, The firm in Bangkok that supplied Rays pump also have the Ring type blowers,you could arrange to have one delivered EMS to Chiang Rai if the locals cant or wont do it.

Tomorrow is my big shopping day. Hoping that I can find the 370w ring blower. Upper lake feeding seems to be back to normal. I am going to try to negotiate for 20 bags o f feed today. Maybe another 10 Baht off each bag. Two months from now I will switch to the CP 9933 16.5%. So far I feel that the growth has been a little slow because I got started slow.

Ray, the Rootes type supercharger is powered by 4hp electric and is piped to all the ponds which it aerates well through 4 inch commercial stones, but when used 24/7 it runs to about 8000 baht month,so it is now my standby system.

I installed the 370w ring blower I recommended to Donald and it caters well for 2 ponds of 1 rai each and 6000 Pla Nin.

The outlet of that pump is 11/4 inch so I installed a junction and floating 1inch pvc diagnally across two adjoining ponds.

Each line goes corner to corner of each pond with small stones on 20 inch droppers at 2 metre spacings,giving 30 stones in each pond.

Each 4 metre length of 1" pvc has a 2.5 litre bleach bottle affixed in the middle for flotation and each pipe length is joined by clear flexi tube and hose clamps,this allows the pipework to swing with the breeze if it wants as it only needs fixing to a stake each end.

This method of instalation makes it a cinch to disassemble for removal when pond is emptied for maintenance.

This type of pump is extremely quiet and vibration free so needs no fixing down(mine just sit on a concrete block).

I still use a small piston type like yours to supply air to the sales fish holding net as that net has to hold 50 kg of fish during busy times.

I might just switch to that, after I clean the pond. Are you running that one 7/24. If so what do you estimate the cost at. Rigth now I'm running a 700 baht electric bill each month with all the pumps. Going 7/24 That includes the pump from the pond water the Plaroom

Edited by ray23

Were there any catfish in the pond when you introduced the Tab Tim.

If you bought fry as opposed to fingerlings ,catfish would make a big dent in them.

There were no catfish in the lake when I introdudced the tab tem but maybe 3 or 4 pla chon. I drained and seined at it set for 2 months. I could not get 100 of the water out but little was left as it comes the ground spring.

If anyone can give me the name of the company in Bangkok and phone number that sells the 370W ring blower I can contact them Probably better than paying a profit to the locals. Not sure I can find locally but start to look tomorrow.

Donald, The firm in Bangkok that supplied Rays pump also have the Ring type blowers,you could arrange to have one delivered EMS to Chiang Rai if the locals cant or wont do it.

or you could have it courier by Nim See Seng Logistic. Express in just 2 days...฿200.-

Their operations & warehouse location is behind Central Plaza Chiang Rai, along the stretch of road just before the converge bridge.

More read.

Edited by RedBullHorn