Extension Of Thai Rice-Pledging Scheme: Bad News

webfact

The law of Thailand has not changed Foreigners can not buy land in Thailand and you are wrong.

cry me a riverpassifier.gif The other paper has a few articles on the subject which prove you are the one who is wrong as usual

Another unverifiable claim to distract from the OP and topic.

You the harping on about it ad nauseam and diverting attention from the op,

Edited by waza

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The law of Thailand has not changed Foreigners can not buy land in Thailand and you are wrong.

cry me a riverpassifier.gif The other paper has a few articles on the subject which prove you are the one who is wrong as usual

You the harping on about it ad nauseam and diverting attention from the op, However, I think the fact that Thakisn sold agricultural land to his middle eastern friend and now they can sell their rice for top dollar through the rice pledging scheme is on topic.

You are making it up.

ry me a riverpassifier.gif The other paper has a few articles on the subject which prove you are the one who is wrong as usual

You the harping on about it ad nauseam and diverting attention from the op, However, I think the fact that Thakisn sold agricultural land to his middle eastern friend and now they can sell their rice for top dollar through the rice pledging scheme is on topic.

You are making it up.

coffee1.gif OMB I am really hurt by that cos I really respect your opinioncheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

You are making it up.

coffee1.gif OMB I am really hurt by that cos I really respect your opinioncheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is not my opinion. You have presented no evidence baking up your fantasy. The best you can do is attack me. The law in Thailand says foreigners can't buy land. Foreigners are not buying land and benefiting from the rice pledging scheme. That's the facts if you want to dispute them go ahead.

It is not my opinion. You have presented no evidence baking up your fantasy. The best you can do is attack me. The law in Thailand says foreigners can't buy land. Foreigners are not buying land and benefiting from the rice pledging scheme. That's the facts if you want to dispute them go ahead.

I think a lot of foreigners are benefiting from the rice scam scheme, look at the Vietnamese and the Indians for example.

• Like 1

To unravel this mess, I always just resort to my old standby for figuring out " mysterious Asia". Which of course is called follow the money. Umpteen billion baht are being poured into this mess. Since I do not see all the farmers now driving Mercedes Benz cars, I can assume the money is not going to them. So can anybody actually answer the issue of where this river of money is going??

I can assume the millers and the storage facilities certainly have their beak dipped in the river of money, but that would not explain the incredible amounts of money. There has to be some sort of trick book keeping going on, with the money simply being siphoned off. But I have a feeling we will not be seeing that story being broken anytime soon. :-)

Edited by EyesWideOpen

Thai Chinese Elite rules, the ethnic and original Thai people are getting screwed, ripped off, and tortured.

Thailand isn't a bad country, but it's rather ruled and administered by the wrong bunch of ethnic personalities that encourage cheating over ethics...

Could you please inform me who are the original Thai People? Do you mean the Lao and Khmer in isaan.

By my knowledge are the Mon the original people in Thailand, and they are.......... yeap Chinese.

Thai Chinese Elite rules, the ethnic and original Thai people are getting screwed, ripped off, and tortured.

Thailand isn't a bad country, but it's rather ruled and administered by the wrong bunch of ethnic personalities that encourage cheating over ethics...

Could you please inform me who are the original Thai People? Do you mean the Lao and Khmer in isaan.

By my knowledge are the Mon the original people in Thailand, and they are.......... yeap Chinese.

The people who we now call the Thai people are descendants of the Tai people from southern China who migrated to SEA to escape harassment from the Han Chinese ethnic group.

Edited by waza

whistling.gif The whole problem with this scheme is that the farmers are NOT getting a gaurenteed price.

It's the middlemen who are getting the pledged price from the government.

The middlemen are free to give a fair pledged price to the farmers, but they do not have to and the government is not forcing the middlemen to do so.

They can simply tell the farmer that his rice is not good enough for the pledged price .... and then buy that rice at a dicount price,

Once they have the rice, they simply tell the government they purchased it at the pledged price .... and the government pays the pledged rice to the middlemen.

It's a recipe for fraud .... and the government knows it ..... but the middlemen are solid voters for the government.

Instant profit for the middlemen .... and the government pays for the storage of that rice in addition.

An organised political scam, buying votes with the taxpayers money.

Ya, that's how I thought it worked.

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think that is the "whole problem". The rest of the problem is that the world import market for rice will not pay Thailand the prices that they must sell the rice for. They need to find a partner that will trade oil for rice, or something as ridiculous as that. They are not going to get cash at their prices. Maybe a "Buy Two, Get One Free" program? Maybe offer "Free Shipping". LOL

You made the claim that the rice pledging scheme is costing 4% of the GDP. I will believe you if you can support your initial claim. Until the time that you provide some kind of evidence that you are not making up numbers any other number is valid.

Except as an arguing point, what do the percentages matter? Billions of baht are being wasted on a corrupt scheme, funds could be used for better purposes than vote-buying. Meanwhile those running this wasteful scam cut taxes while planning to borrow trillions for infrastructure improvement.

Don't you see the basic flaw in that state of affairs?

• Like 1

Amazing this discussion on percentages, really amazing. Don't you guys realize that it doesn't matter?

If the Thai government decides to throw away THB 120 billion on rice pledging in 2011/2012 and is set to improve it's performance to THB 180 billion or more in 2012/2013 that's up to them. That's why we taxpayers pay taxes.

Amazing this discussion on percentages, really amazing. Don't you guys realize that it doesn't matter?

If the Thai government decides to throw away THB 120 billion on rice pledging in 2011/2012 and is set to improve it's performance to THB 180 billion or more in 2012/2013 that's up to them. That's why we taxpayers pay taxes.

Rubi wrote: Amazing this discussion on percentages, really amazing. Don't you guys realize that it doesn't matter?rolleyes.gif

Edited by dcutman

With all due respect... someone should knock you two guys' heads together. Very boring, go and drink a beer and mutter for a bit.

I agree with you. I can't get a simple answer. The guy said the rice pledging scheme is 4% of the GDP. I don't think it is. He has no facts to support his contention. End of discussion.

This scam cant last, it is already overstretching the Thai budget, the PTP will have to decide if they want to fund this scam or run the country. "A recent Senate report said public debt, which was 42.4% of GDP at the end of April, would rise by an average of 4% per year if the scheme continues, and the Prime Minister has already admitted as much". Another crack in Thaksin support, he better consolidate his total control before the hens come home to roost. Maybe the 2 trillion baht loan will extend this scam but sooner or laters the truth will come out. Another economic miracle from the PTP.

That "link" in your post 4% per year is not a valid link. I am getting tired of this round and round bickering fest. Is this the link to substantiate your claim: http://thediplomat.com/2012/11/10/rice-piles-how-thailand-lost-its-spot-as-worlds-top-rice-exporter/ ?

This scam cant last, it is already overstretching the Thai budget, the PTP will have to decide if they want to fund this scam or run the country. "A recent Senate report said public debt, which was 42.4% of GDP at the end of April, would rise by an average of 4% per year if the scheme continues, and the Prime Minister has already admitted as much". Another crack in Thaksin support, he better consolidate his total control before the hens come home to roost. Maybe the 2 trillion baht loan will extend this scam but sooner or laters the truth will come out. Another economic miracle from the PTP.

That "link" in your post 4% per year is not a valid link. I am getting tired of this round and round bickering fest. Is this the link to substantiate your claim: http://thediplomat.com/2012/11/10/rice-piles-how-thailand-lost-its-spot-as-worlds-top-rice-exporter/ ?

Looks good to me thanks.

Yes as clearly indicated in this post of yesterday........ http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625604-expert-predicts-thai-rice-pledging-scheme-to-drive-market-prices-up-soon/?p=6202226

Edited by waza

Yes as clearly indicated in this post of yesterday........ http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/625604-expert-predicts-thai-rice-pledging-scheme-to-drive-market-prices-up-soon/?p=6202226

Posted in another topic and not linked to in this topic until now.

I think a lot of foreigners are benefiting from the rice scam scheme, look at the Vietnamese and the Indians for example.

And Cambodia is doing very nicely too.

Hun Sen must be well pleased.