Islands Off Sri Racha - Koh Khangkao, Koh Kam Yai Etc

Sheryl

Nothing at all in the travel forum and very slim pickings via google....

I have to go to Sri Racha for other reasons and would like to take the opportunity to get in some snorkeling, rumor has it there is some reasonable snorkeling to be had in some of the islands around Ko Si chang e.g. Koh Khang Kao (Bat Island), Ko Kam Yai etc but I can't find any info on how to get there. Also rumor has it that Koh Khang Kao has a resort on it but ditto.

Anyone have any contact indo or details on these places, or other advice on how to get in a nice snorkeling trip short of having to go down to Pattaya and leave from there?

Thanks!

there is a big jetty (collapsed last year) type construction on the seafront at S"acha it has a few tourist attractions and pool with big turtles that you can feed but more importantly there is a ferry goes from there out to the Islands, I've never seen any falangs on the ferry but I don't think there would be a problem - if you manage to make a trip come back and let us know how it went

A few years ago I went to Ko Si Chang via Sri Racha ferry. I was able to rent a motobike and drove every road on the island.

There are limited hotels and resturants and a few temples etc. On the far side from the pier is a resort and beach access etc. Dont remember what the conditions would be there for snorkeling. Maybe as clean as its going to get.

Clean water is what you might be interested in. On the pier side to the mainland is where the large ships anchor. Some spilled STUFF in that area.

• 2 weeks later...

Update;

Well as it was looking like nothing could be arranged or ascertained without first going to Ko Sichang and my time was limited I didn't try it (though I would someday like to hunt down the elusive resort on Bat Island). Instead went down to Sattahip and went to Koh Kham. Not the easiest place to get to but was possible to track down the details in advance at least. Well worth the trip, lovely unspoiled beach you can snorkel right off of (Navy doing some coral restoration there).

For anyone interested in going, be advised there is a rule that you must be accompanied by a Thai (area is all under the Navy) and they don't follow the official schedule very exactly so need to be sure to call ahead to make sure there's a boat going out, and be prepared that the last boat returning may be earlier than the official time listed. Hence worth trying to make the first boat. Allow time for getting lost finding the departure point, which is not on the water (they take you in a pickup truck to the pier). It is 50 - 100 meters inside a naval base that is due west of Samaesan village but still easy to get lost as the place is lousy with naval bases, I went into several before finding the right one (and then got lost in that as well...).

• Like 1