Alcohol Laws To Be Strictly Enforced During Songkran

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There will be no alcohol sales, the cops will enforce laws, and there will no longer be people driving around on the back of trucks. I think there is a better chance of every one $hiting gold for three days.....

May be in Loei

I don't drink anymore, only on special occasions like somebodies birthday or whatever, but it would not be hard to stock up on drinks now and then just get drunk before you go out.. Even after you have gone out, it wouldn't be hard to find a place selling it, I guess it depends where you live. Where I do there is a 7/11 that sells alcohol all day every day and has done for the last 3 years. Family marts don't give a rats ass and they are called, 'Family Mart' hehehe. There are going to be some restaurants and bars serving without a doubt, this is just another way for the government to try and look good and them in fact being totally unrealistic.

In the big village there are about 5 shops selling alcohol all the time they are open and the restauranr will certainly be selling alcohol as that is where the cops and Puu Yai eat.

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

Here in Pattaya we are all on edge for the first incidence of someone throwing muddy iced water all over them..... then we can say how long it will be, finishes 19th, or is it 20th, or 21st?.

Edited by jacko45k

Why not 'strictly enforce' laws against the stupid people that throw water on motorbikes causing them to crash???

Why not limit the Songkran holiday to the three days that it's meant to be celebrated on?mad.gif

Duh.

I guess it varies based on where you live, I have friends in Chaing Mai that say it's a 1-2 week event, BKK 2-3 days, down here in Phuket water is only thrown on 1 day.

On the calendar it's marked as April 13-15. Why should it be different dates depending on where you live?

In Pattaya it goes up until the 19th, in Rayong it's the 21st and so on.........it's ridiculous!!

And they wonder why so many people die.

Do you think Thais care about how many people die during Songcran? No chance, they have never cared, and they never will.

Sorry if just a little off topic, but many years ago, perhaps as long as 12 years now, the son of my next door neighbour was out playing songkran. A policeman, if you can call them that, told him not to throw water on him as he had just bought a new phone, he threw water anyway. The brown shirt pulled his gun and shot him, he died later in hospital.

These are the scum bags that are supposing to be enforcing laws.

• Like 1

Will see , so this law is only charged during Songkrang festival !!??

There is no implication that the law is any different at other times. During the festival alcohol related problems are exacerbated and there is to be an effort made to deal with this. See? smile.png

the police stay out of the way of the water i cannot see police getting wet plus smeared with white furnature filler powder in order to make an arrest . and if there was an arrest in progress there may well be people against the police . taking there own action by showering the police and shouting abuse .so i think the police will turn a blind eye.

As usual this decision will bother me and the normal people who want to buy and enjoy a beer or a drink freely ,during a meal or along the day.The alcoolic one won't give a shit,will make provision before and will get pissed dead as usual anyway.THIS WONT WORK!

it is not only the alcool police has to stop on the road for sonkran or a special day...it is all old chit cars,trucks full 4 meters high,overwheited ,cars full of people, motorbikes with 4/5 people and the dog on it, side cars with food or whatever invading the roads ,people overtaking, making a turn like stupid or driving on the right side at 40 km an hour ,stopping all the traffic jam and there is more and more to say...blink.png

This country is a mess on the road,totally unsafe and you need to drive the eyes well oppened because an amazing thailand surprise is allready crossing your way and could create a fatal accident.hit-the-fan.gif

I would like to draw attention to the farce that surrounds the check points that are set up in every village, tumbon, etc during such periods.I could relate many stories regarding this in our local area.It is like the blind leading the blind when all they do is man the posts so as to get financing from the government Doesn't take much to work out what they do to pass the time.Hopefully there are some check points that do the right thing but I personally haven't witnessed that phenomenon

Edited by Ron19

Duh.

On the calendar it's marked as April 13-15. Why should it be different dates depending on where you live?

In Pattaya it goes up until the 19th, in Rayong it's the 21st and so on.........it's ridiculous!!

And they wonder why so many people die.

In the part of Rayong where I live (city) the water splashing/throwing is only one day and it's the 13th. Has been for many years.

Ban Chang is later, 18th or 19th I think, but do not know where it is the 21st.

the police stay out of the way of the water i cannot see police getting wet plus smeared with white furnature filler powder in order to make an arrest . and if there was an arrest in progress there may well be people against the police . taking there own action by showering the police and shouting abuse .so i think the police will turn a blind eye.

nice lady picturecrazy.gif but you are wrong it is the other way round.burp.gifsorry.gif

As usual this decision will bother me and the normal people who want to buy and enjoy a beer or a drink freely ,during a meal or along the day.....THIS WONT WORK!

Don't get ya knickers in a knot. You can still buy your booze during normal alcohol trading times. The laws aren't being "changed", they are just being "strictly enforced" (allegedly) Edited by Fullstop

Does the Royal Thai Police know how to "strictly enforce a law"? As they haven't tried yet it surely is going to be a first time experience for them.

Or it simply means that "tea money will be strictly enforced" to look the other way.

you mean do they know what the laws are?

They don't have to. The Chief of Police will announce the law of the day to be enforced.

"According to the laws, the sale of alcoholic beverages during restricted hours and to intoxicated person as well as to minor under 20 years of age is prohibited. Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law."

Alcohol laws to be strictly enforced during Songkran! Well I’m sure it will be, in all high profile locations, large stores and chains, like 7/11. As there is no incentive
for the sales staff to break the law. ‘Moms and pops’ stores….Business as usual.

I do find it a little strange that some people have still to find a local shop to them that sells alcohol though out there opening hours…….Think small, think
back street, think Moms and Pops!

• Like 1

"According to the laws, the sale of alcoholic beverages during restricted hours and to intoxicated person as well as to minor under 20 years of age is prohibited. Violatos will be prosecuted to the full extent of law."

I caught my 15 yr-old son and his friends drinking beer at the German restaurant on Soi 11. I thought alcohol was only sold to minors at Khao San road or by the mobile sidewalk bars! I wish the laws in Thailand would be reinforced!

I caught my 15 yr-old son and his friends drinking beer at the German restaurant on Soi 11. I thought alcohol was only sold to minors at Khao San road or by the mobile sidewalk bars! I wish the laws in Thailand would be reinforced!

Well, all is not lost. Trying beer at 15 is not a terrible thing. In my country it (was) normal to drink/try at that age. Looking back 13 years now, nobody became alcoholics because of that.

Anyway... don't trying to teach you how to raise your kid, but I still remember being a kid... and keeping kids on their toes is good, but don't overdo it.

Good thing you didn't caught him 100 meters down the road, in hillary. :)

It is amazing that the majority of posters here would be screaming if the liquor law hours were enforced daily. Now they are upset that they are not. Be careful what you ask for. Oh, I forgot, this site is used by many just to bash Thailand. Sorry to interfere.

• Like 1