Another Possible Red Flag About Eating Too Much Red Meat?

Well, this is one of those not conclusive yet studies but it certainly is interesting. Most people are well aware of the cholesterol and fat issues of red meat, but here's something new:

The substance is called carnitine, and as bacteria in the gut breaks it
down, it turns into a compound known to harden arteries, according to a
study published Sunday in Nature Medicine.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/fat-and-cholesterol-arent-only-heart-dangers-of-red-meat/2013/04/07/c9aa7fde-9fc2-11e2-82bc-511538ae90a4_story.html

I put this here because I associate heavy red meat diets with western diets.

Edited by Jingthing

It is an unproven theory at the moment.

As far as I am concerned most of these scientists/doctors/whatever come up with stuff like this and a few years later somebody else proves them wrong.

I am 68 and if I had listened and took note of all the things that people who don't know me, have never met me but are concerned for "my" welfare I would probably have never made it past 25.

EVERYBODY will die. That is the only proven fact over the years.

Enjoy life (it is the only one you have) and do as you wish with your body. After all it is yours to do as you wish with and nobody can tell you otherwise.

If you are lucky you will live a long and happy life. If not, then not.

• Like 1

I agree. There is nothing final or definitive about this information. However, we already know there are health issues with eating too much red meat and ESPECIALLY processed red meat, so I don't think there is anything wrong with adding this possibility to the mix of information people have to make the best food choices they can.

Indeed we all have to make our own decisions in our lives. I have drunk coffee all my life, all through phases where it was bad for you, then it was good for you, then it was bad for, then it was good for you, whatever, I NEED my coffee!

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

It is an unproven theory at the moment.

As far as I am concerned most of these scientists/doctors/whatever come up with stuff like this and a few years later somebody else proves them wrong.

I am 68 and if I had listened and took note of all the things that people who don't know me, have never met me but are concerned for "my" welfare I would probably have never made it past 25.

EVERYBODY will die. That is the only proven fact over the years.

Enjoy life (it is the only one you have) and do as you wish with your body. After all it is yours to do as you wish with and nobody can tell you otherwise.

If you are lucky you will live a long and happy life. If not, then not.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

• Like 1

To much research is carried out blind. Another theory is that a lot of protein eaten in combination with a lot of sugar and other simple carbohydrates (white rice, noodles, potatoes, bread, etc.) is the real culprit. I, personally, had a through the roof cholesterol count. I cut out all simple carbs completely (no more beer) assiduously avoid sugar in all its forms, greatly increased my meat and fat intake, accompanied by copious amounts of green vegetables and salads, and my cholesterol dropped precipitously. Go figure. It goes against all the "orthodoxies." By the way, with never cutting the amount of my food intake, I also lost a lot of weight on this diet. I have made it a permanent lifestyle and it has been working great for me.

While we will all die, the important thing is the quality of life while we live. If you are 50 kilos overweight you may be enjoying life today, but the day of reckoning will come. So yeah, enjoy life, but do it in a way that will leave its quality intact in the future.

Edited by Ticketmaster

So many red flags about eating any shxt meat actually !

Since I started thinking on my own and quit following what our BS western civilization and countries wanted us to do (buy meat, eat meat) I feel a lot better.

Incredible that most of the people do not even think that they eat meat just because governments wanted us to eat more meat and pretended that it was an improvement..

Exactly similar to people who have a religion and believe in this shxt just because they are from a family that believes, without even thinking that they would believe in any other BS if they were from another family.

Quit eating meat that you don't need and avoid you future troubles.

So many red flags about eating any shxt meat actually !

Since I started thinking on my own and quit following what our BS western civilization and countries wanted us to do (buy meat, eat meat) I feel a lot better.

Incredible that most of the people do not even think that they eat meat just because governments wanted us to eat more meat and pretended that it was an improvement..

Exactly similar to people who have a religion and believe in this shxt just because they are from a family that believes, without even thinking that they would believe in any other BS if they were from another family.

Quit eating meat that you don't need and avoid you future troubles.

Now, where is my f"%(ing t-bone!

• Like 1

The ancient Chines and Japanese believed that red meat creates alot of heat in the system, and would create discomfort during the warmest months of the year. Therefore they would limit maximum meat consumption to the colder months. Same goes for pork. I have found this to be the case. This time of year it is simply alot more comfortable when avoiding much meat. The body seems to run alot cooler.

Mike Macarelli

Chaiyaphum, Thailand

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Looks like you've never been to a Moo Katha buffet? ohmy.png

Yes, but those are hardly everyday affairs for many.

Actually as I wanted to post this item, I had to put it somewhere as such diet related news items are not allowed on the health forum.

Looks like you've never been to a Moo Katha buffet?

Yes, but those are hardly everyday affairs for many.

Actually as I wanted to post this item, I had to put it somewhere as such diet related news items are not allowed on the health forum.

Agree with you about red meat JT. Just one thing however, the local moo katha trend is to go there once a week and fill up for a months worth. :)

i am sure my mother fed me red meat mash through a straw as a baby,so for 62yrs.i managed a cow a week till the arteries blocked double by pass 2007 so its down to one cow a month[and not the one's in patts]tongue.png