Bus Drivers Reported As Reckless By Passengers To Be Fined

webfact

Bus drivers reported as reckless by passengers to be fined

BANGKOK, 16 April 2013 (NNT) – The Land Transport Department will fine drivers of buses who were reported by passengers as reckless drivers.

As many as 12,000 calls were made to the department’s 1584 hotline for protection of public transport users, during the Songkran period. The calls were mostly made to inquire about bus routes, tourism sites and items left on public transports.

Complaints were lodged against taxi drivers that declined to pick up passengers and those who were offensive or who failed to let passengers get off at the agreed spot.

Complaints were also made against public van, bus and minibus drivers who drove recklessly, who did not stop at bus stops, and who displayed offensive behavior. Excess charging of fees were also reported.

The department will call in the drivers in question for interrogation, and then fine them.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-16 footer_n.gif

Last week i barely survived going downhill with an old Thai bus down the Kao Koh mountains...

A friend of mine experienced the same awhile back.

It's crazy and reckless and something needs to be done about it before more people get hurt.

• Like 2

Last week i barely survived going downhill with an old Thai bus down the Kao Koh mountains...

It's crazy and reckless and something needs to be done about it before more people get hurt.

I drive that stretch twice a month. It is a death trap for heavy vehicles

smile.png Route 12... The bit to Kohn Kean is not so bad as the Kao Koh bit..

smile.png Route 12... The bit to Kohn Kean is not so bad as the Kao Koh bit..

The kai koh hill is shocking. They even have the lanes wrong. Two down and one up as opposed to the other way.

More chin wagging and headline grabbing and useless dialogue. When they publish the numbers of people fined then I will believe it and only when compared to the number of complaints. Driving yesterday through the city I saw at least 10 taxis refuse passengers. Many were not wet or drunk and simply looking for a ride. I am sure the excuse was pay a flat fee and no meter which is what I experienced the day before. Many taxi are crooks and take advantage of the situation. And like all these complaints - the public transport division will be incapable of doing anything about it simply by sheer volume of complaints alone.

• Like 1

Fined.... but NOT taken off the road !!

The carnage will continue.. in the L.O.D (land of death)

Land of death? Isn't that just a bit melodramatic?

they smile afterwards ,,thats cynical and completely inappropriate but me still recovering from that massive hangover in about 4 hours

The department will call in the drivers in question for interrogation, and then fine them.

...was that just a pig, flying by my window?

And the company gets?

a tab on the shoulder and more privileges ?

Whilst I am all for passengers reporting reckless driving I fail to see how a driver can be prosecuted and fined merely on a passengers say so, a court will never accept heresay.

Exactly but it sounds good for public consumption. Note too the phrase " ... will be interrogated " rather than interviewed as interrogation is a military / security services term and has a sinister ring. Will any fines be the actual official tariff or of the usual " discounted " variety and no record kept that the driver was ever called in ? How many times will a driver be seen before he's sacked etc ? Just more official BS from a government that believes it can fool all of the people all of the time

Whilst I am all for passengers reporting reckless driving I fail to see how a driver can be prosecuted and fined merely on a passengers say so, a court will never accept heresay.

Agree, there must be a process which follows proper laws and appropriate investigation and is seen by all as balanced and fair.

Thailand already has very serious problems with lack of respect for the law and unbalanced application of laws and unbalanced application of punishments.

What we don't need is more kangaroo courts.

90% of the countries across the world have developed systems / laws / processes which have seriously reigned in bad drivers, etc.

There's no need to reinvent the wheel, what a pity the Thai authorities can't / won't get their heads out of the sand and take a look at what works and what doesn't work in other countries and adapt to the Thai scenario.

Edited by scorecard

Land of death? Isn't that just a bit melodramatic?

Not as melodramatic as you might want to believe.

No. It's melodramatic.

Called for interrogation... and then fine them.

Seems like there is no point for interrogation. Never mind what they might say during questioning, just fine them for tea money (and then let them go and continue to drive as usual) rolleyes.gif

Doubt they will be fined. Very wealthy people are behind these transport companies.

Not the companies who are being fined, the drivers. This is great news.