I Can Pour My Own Beer Thank You.

GuestHouse

I hope that the rest of my life has no more important problems than a pretty girl pouring my drink for me.

Some people need to get out more.

Probably the reverse..... OP might do better to stay in a darkened room, and open/pour his own drinks to his particular satisfaction. Perish the thought that someone might try to show him consideration. coffee1.gif

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm with the OP on this one. No problem with anyone pouring me a beer proving it doesn't look like an ice-cream or cappuccino at the end of it.

But easily fixed by preventing the premier beer event.

Pouring beer is a personal thing as this post shows by the passionate comments. If I was paying $8-$10 a beer (or SGD 17 at Killaney post office after 8pm) I'd get a bit more into the topic. But at a few baht a bottle can't get too excited.

Is it raining soon?

• Like 1

The only time I had too much to drink on my recent trip to Thialand was when the hostess kept filling up my glass from the large bottles of Leo that our group had ordered. Because we were eating, drinking and talking I didn't take much notice how much I was drinking myself. It wasn't until I stood up that I felt a little wobbly. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense because I seldom drink more than one small bottle of beer.

Oh! Poor baby! I hope you are fine now!?

They are trained and required to do this by management, and consider it good service.

But if they want to max their tips, they would do well to communicate. If you own a bar, just a few words of english would help the staff develop rapport.

Pet hate is when you sit down and next thing you know is a fan parked beside you, full on. "Like fan?" with a smile would help a lot. Same as 'more beer?'

Will chefs ever learn that f'lungs like to eat starters together, mains together, deserts together? Has anyone found where they get this right?

-

You are assuming much more higher levels of rational thought and motivation here than actually exist 99.9% of the time.

These people are on automatic pilot, learn everything by rote and that's the way they'll do their job until they day they drop.

Don't even bother trying to change them, you're just banging your head against a wall.

Now spare a thought for the farang bar-owners who actually try to change the way their staff do things! Now there's a farang I'll pity, but not you whingers, just relax and enjoy yourselves a bit accepting the way things are will you?

Are you saying that whatever service you get, you are happy?

BS.

I wasn't whinging, I was suggesting to bar staff (who will never read these posts) or to their bosses (who might) you they might increase their tips and also have more f'lungs return if they don't treat customers as objects, therefore less risk of not surviving the slow season.

Might even work for Thai customers, as well.

Try to teach a Thai how to pour a Guinness. Come to that very few people know how to pour a beer these days, sigh. I have been known to go behind the bar and show them, they don't want to know, I think some would shake a bottle of Champagne before opening if you didn't stand pn their foot beforehand.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

I always got perfect poured Guinness in Thailand....But it was always in Irish pubs.....

How to pour a beer? Do you put the ice before or after the beer?? whistling.gif

Try to teach a Thai how to pour a Guinness. Come to that very few people know how to pour a beer these days, sigh. I have been known to go behind the bar and show them, they don't want to know, I think some would shake a bottle of Champagne before opening if you didn't stand pn their foot beforehand.

At first, I thought this was all a bit petty, but after thinking about it I agree completely with your comments. If you aren't a beer guzzler and enjoy your beer then you don't want people messing with your beer. I don't like ice in my beer and even a moderate connoisseur would never consider that. And heavens sake don't waste beer even if it's hot. Thais don't know how to pour beer and frankly I don't think they could care less.

I do like the beer in the ice bucket idea. Better than ice in the beer. After my years here, I have settled in on Singha beer. It's not great but for the price it not too bad. I am used to micro brewed beer in the States which I miss dearly. So in short, don't mess with my beer even if it's just average beer.

The place where the wife and I go to eat occasionally has the service down pat. A Chang (for me) and Leo (for the missus) are brought to the table, the Chang goes in the ice bucket and the Leo gets poured with ice in the glass. I only had to explain once that I liked a cold (or cool in practice unfortunately!) beer but didn't like ice in my beer. All good.

Edited by Mudcrab

Never heard of anyone going to a place of sanook and bitching about lithe young pretties fussing and fawning over them, still thats the beauty of TV some members never fail to dissapoint.

rgs, you are entirely correct - there is absolutely no mention of 'Pretties' in my OP - once again ...... all in your own head.

Off on one of your tangents again... nothing much changes.

Well IF they were uglies I feel your pain.

At the moment I have better things to do than engage in a spat of keyboard masterbation with you, dont take it personally.

rgs, you still don't get it.

You've not been engaging me in a spat, you've been ranting against things I never said, things you imagined.

I could not have said it better... "keyboard masturbation'.

Serving alcohol correctly is a very serious issue much more so than the Thai Baht, Sonkran, the BIB, Thai Politics, Thai roads and driving and all other such minor items when compared to pouring a beer, serving a spirit and a bottle of wine.To coin a famous football manager statement, correctly serving alcohol is not a matter of life or death it is much more serious than that.cheesy.gif It is the same all over the world, bar staff are shown how to get behind the bar and in those few steps they have completely learned the trade. In the UK it makes me cringe, certain beers need to be poured through a gooseneck with a sparkler to be served at their best. The glass should be help up as high as possible until it touches the start of the neck and the long neck is in the glass and held there while the the beer is being poured. The sparkler give the correct amount of life to the beer. Do you see this happening in most pubs, in my experience seldom. The sparkler is removed and discarded, the bottom of the neck is held above the beer insead of being in it. As for pouring a Guiness forget it. In Germany most beer is poured correctly as required by their type of beer. I always order the next one when I am hafway through the first to avoid the wait. I like my red wine to be served at room temeprature and NO ice. White wine to be chilled and served in a ice bucket. Here in Thailand wine is very expensive so I want it served correctly, it is not cheap plonk! I take my wiskey with a drop of water, I just hate it drowned. I want to put in my own water as I want to pour my own beer. In a strange place, well not really strange about the same as me really, I use a smile and a friendly approach to get what I want and in the main I am successful. Do they think I am a pain in the ass, probably. However when they get their tip the are very happy and usually remember that "the difficult customer" is not so bad after all. I find that most staff really want to serve as the customer requires so a little explaining and everybody is happy. Just a moment please while I dismount from my high horse. Thats better, another Chang please, yes I will pour myself. Thank you. Would you like a drink?burp.gif Yes? You are welcomeani.gif

• Like 2

I don't like it with beer. I tell them when I first order to leave the bottle on the cart close by or on the table and not to pour or open a new bottle without asking. It really really annoys me when a restaurant only offers extremely expensive bottled water and then tops up glasses and opens new bottles without asking. I've known people to end up with water charges of more than 1000 baht.

In many places if you do not want the new bottle that they have opened, let them know, they will take it back and replace the cap. No charge.

That's your wife's/gf's job to counter that stuff.

If you have one at the time.

Do it yourself if you don't. Not too hard.

• Like 1

Its a minor grate but when I go for a beer I like to relax and take my time drinking it. I tell the server I'll pour my own beer thank you, but unless I'm watching my glass like a hawk, one of the other staff will invariable sneak up on me and top my glass up.

As I said, a minor annoyance when I'm drinking alone or with a small group, but it gets dangerous at large gatherings where its impossible to keep an eye/count of the bottles stacking up at the end of table.

A challenge for the saffron tinted spectacle brigade.
Point out exactly where the above in anyway disparages Thais or Thailand ...... point out where Thailand or Thais are directly referred to.... the gender, age, looks of the server? Who gets/dodges the bill? The type of establishment the beer is being consumed in?
We've seen how sensitive your raw nerves are, show us what it is that causes offence (try to keep to the recorded text and not start making things up to suit your argument).

They are trained and required to do this by management, and consider it good service.

If you are gracious you will let it be as it is, and control your rate of drinking as you see fit by how often you choose to raise your glass to your lips rather than by the level of the liquid in your glass.

Or simply hold the bottle in your hand?

Or have a quiet word give the server a little tip asking them to please not pour your drink for your? Of course in most places this will simply lead to panic and confusion but give it a go. . .

Indeed, they are "trained" and ordered, not required to do this.

Likewise they are trained to pour the beer in the glass without any head, the bottle will be empty earlier.

You think it is "service". but it is to sell as much beer as possible to you.

Just remember what is done when your bottle is empty: "Another one, sir?"

Maybe, just maybe, the staff silently hope to get a tip from you also.

So, the barowner wants to sell you more beer and the waitress, or waiter wants a tip.

NOTE" ZThis is not a slur on Thailand.

Happens everywhere in the world

But, it seems to be more obvious here.

Edited by hansnl

I use 2 glasses. It confuses them. If they can keep up with my scam, I'll switch to 3 glasses. By that time most of them give in and bugger off, mumbling something about:"Falang Bah, kin beer jag sam geau"....Bah Bah Buh Buh"!!!!! Muahahah........

We did this once as an experiment on Kho Samui. We were 3 guys with a total of 11 glasses among us. At the beginning they would always refill the glass they have served you in the first place. and they could always somehow track that one with sufficient accuracy.

At the end they just served the bottles, didn't even bother for the ice no more.

• Like 1

They are trained to do it to sell beer I think a very good business ploy, if your in the bar game. Plus the staff see it as a service to prompt you to leave a tip. in the UK you will stand there all night while the bar maid sends texts to her mates & she is invariably not as pretty as the one serving you here.

When was the last time you got service in an english pub ????

Frequently in my local where they bring the beer to me if I ask them to or if they're really busy and have to ask me to wait - it's "sit down and wait please".

But then it IS my local.......thumbsup.gif

Edited by VBF

This thread is a joke...right?......Please?

IT'S A SERVICE! If you don't like it, just tell them politely "Mai Pen Rai Khrap"/Hand over your glass or "xx chin nahm keng, khrap" (how ever you might like it...a squeese of lime maybe?).

Jesus, the things cranky old geezers can complain about in here blink.png

I have never visited a restaurant in Thailand, where the drink "pouring/top-up service" wasn't meant as a SERVICE!

The only place ever, where it wasn't a service, was a shitty karaoke bar in CM - two sentences in Thai explaining that i knew what they where trying to do, and that they could keep the tab, at the table - put a stop to it immediately!

I think i'm getting to know why some Thai people resent even us youngsters her, until they get to know us....the rudeness of some bitter old men - i lack words to describe how sorry i feel for you guys, you must be living in hell if you distrust the world around you like this.

And/or things meant as a service, ruin your day so much that you have to complain about it, in a internet forum?!?

I think the old phrase "Get a life..." is most suited for this.

• Like 1

IT'S A SERVICE! If you don't like it, just tell them politely "Mai Pen Rai Khrap"/Hand over your glass or "xx chin nahm keng, khrap" (how ever you might like it...a squeese of lime maybe?).

I have never visited a restaurant in Thailand, where the drink "pouring/top-up service" wasn't meant as a SERVICE!

The only place ever, where it wasn't a service, was a shitty karaoke bar in CM - two sentences in Thai explaining that i knew what they where trying to do, and that they could keep the tab, at the table - put a stop to it immediately!

I think i'm getting to know why some Thai people resent even us youngsters her, until they get to know us....the rudeness of some bitter old men - i lack words to describe how sorry i feel for you guys, you must be living in hell if you distrust the world around you like this.

And/or things meant as a service, ruin your day so much that you have to complain about it, in a internet forum?!?

Not only the beer needs to be chilled, methinks! whistling.gif

• Like 1

Not only the beer needs to be chilled, methinks! whistling.gif

Sorry to disappoint you - but I like my whiskey, straight and at room temperature rolleyes.gif

My own particular reply was based on a lifetime's experience ( I worked as a part time barman for a few years): stick the bottle into the glass vertically, you get too much (only) foam, and the poor girl has to wait 5 minutes to finish her job. Trickling it down the side of a tilted glass let's you control how much foam you get, I think a little foam is the sign of a well poured beer, up to the individual customer. This isn't a Thai problem, I have seen it in the UK, Switzerland, Marocco, etc etc.

This thread is about trying to do a job as well as you can, and that's what the Thais do. They don't get any three years cocktail barman schooling, they just do what there co workers do.

I certainly have no problems in my local (20 Km from here) since the time I got down on my knees and begged in broken Thai, please no more ice, please no more foamy beer. They only hide the bottle when the authorised drinking times are not applicable, apart from that most of my beer is consumed at home.

I like it when I get to the point were my head tilts backwards naturally, they can then pour directly into my mouth.

When you get to that point in some of these places the service can be so good that they'll just skip this pouring part all together and add it to your tab.

The, um, "training" thing again.

Ok please put us out of our misery, where did this take place?

So what 6 people go to a bar, 36 bottles are consumed, each person pays for 6 bottles, whats the problem.

Where in farangland can I get a personal servant to add ice and beer?

Usually where I drink its based on eye movement, never mind yet another thinly veiled anti Thai rant, good old GH so predicatable.

rgs2001UK off again on one of his rants against whats going on in his own head.

1. I don't regard the fact that I have not told you where I drink as placing you in misery - I'd hate to deny you the pleasure of coming to your own baseless conclusions.

2. Whats this reference to paying for beers? I have not mentioned paying for beers - paying for beers is not the subject under discussion in this thread - It might be a discussion going on in your own head, but it has nothing to do with my OP.

3. Plenty of places in 'Farangland' will have staff top up your drinks for you - usually up market places where the staff have actually been trained how to poor a drink.

4. 'Thinly veiled anti-Thai rant' - Here we go again, TVF's own special form of McCarthyism' - stalking the board looking for the slight indication that members are not wearing the saffron tinted spectacles YOU have decided must be worn.

I suggest you stop dreaming up the style of life others live and address what ever it is that motivates you to do so... it might not be an easy journey, but you will feel better once you get to the root of the problem.

Classic GH reply, absolute classic, at his sanctimonious best.

Way too many assumptions, suggest you re read your pyschology for dummies.

Never heard of anyone going to a place of sanook and bitching about lithe young pretties fussing and fawning over them, still thats the beauty of TV some members never fail to dissapoint.

This is a classic case.

I find that by avoiding most guys whose major concern in life is to monitor the price of beer, I can avoid (at least in person, from fellow bar patrons) the tedious madder-forkers that wander in here to correct my "impressions" of this country.

Cheers y'all

This thread almost perfectly demonstrates the Mccarthyism to be found here on TVF.

My observation relates to a particular form of service which I do not appreciate - AS THE CUSTOMER I am allowed I trust to determine what meets my own expectations of good service where I am the recipient.

But no, this is TVF.

The usuals suspects respond with that mixture of imagined circumstances (well they need to imagine the circumstances in order to fit their own preconceived ideas).

The term 'Thai Bashing' is dragged out.

I must be drinking in a clip joint.

I must be miserable.

The gender, age and looks of the server need to be imagined.

But hang on a moment, there is nothing disparaging in my OP.

There's a number of others who have responded confirming they too don't like to have waiting staff pouring their beer for them, or indeed adding ice.... well surely up to the customer?

Not good enough for the Keyboard Warriors - a simple statement regarding a unwanted service is taken as a deep insult to Thailand.

There seem to be a lot of raw nerves and fragile egos out there.

Nah nah Guesthouse...........we're just sick of your High Horse trolling. coffee1.gif

Jesus, the things cranky old geezers can complain about in here

Next time you're passing through, try any of the Oriental's Bamboo Bar where (for the price of a beer in a go-go) you can have a local beer and you can pour it yourself. Same goes for any other none beer-jam venue.

Thais laugh tip-begging.

This thread almost perfectly demonstrates the Mccarthyism to be found here on TVF.

My observation relates to a particular form of service which I do not appreciate - AS THE CUSTOMER I am allowed I trust to determine what meets my own expectations of good service where I am the recipient.

But no, this is TVF.

The usuals suspects respond with that mixture of imagined circumstances (well they need to imagine the circumstances in order to fit their own preconceived ideas).

The term 'Thai Bashing' is dragged out.

I must be drinking in a clip joint.

I must be miserable.

The gender, age and looks of the server need to be imagined.

But hang on a moment, there is nothing disparaging in my OP.

There's a number of others who have responded confirming they too don't like to have waiting staff pouring their beer for them, or indeed adding ice.... well surely up to the customer?

Not good enough for the Keyboard Warriors - a simple statement regarding a unwanted service is taken as a deep insult to Thailand.

There seem to be a lot of raw nerves and fragile egos out there.

Nah nah Guesthouse...........we're just sick of your High Horse trolling.

@ blether

Surely, the "high horse trolling" of which you speak is coming from the farang pensioners who've had to "re-patriate" for extended stays back 'ome in their children's garages.

Just sayin'

Jesus, the things cranky old geezers can complain about in here

Next time you're passing through, try any of the Oriental's Bamboo Bar where (for the price of a beer in a go-go) you can have a local beer and you can pour it yourself. Same goes for any other none beer-jam venue.

Thais laugh tip-begging.

I don't get you post?!? - yes I frequent Bamboo bar, as i also quite frequently eat at Le Normandie - and I like that the Hotel was originally build by a fellow countryman.

I'm almost a 100% certain, that i'm at Bamboo bar more often than you as my office is in Silom, and as i mentioned that my nationality has a "thing" with this Hotel, because of the history. (Plus i know the previous manager at Le Normandie, which also made me come often - though he is now at restaurant Water Library in Thong Lor, i still like Le Normandie for a french dinner and the good view over the river)

But what the hell, does it have to do with thread?

I do think we all know, we are not discussing western-style hotel bars right now?

Edited by KhunMoo

At first, I thought this was all a bit petty, but after thinking about it I agree completely with your comments. If you aren't a beer guzzler and enjoy your beer then you don't want people messing with your beer. I don't like ice in my beer and even a moderate connoisseur would never consider that. And heavens sake don't waste beer even if it's hot. Thais don't know how to pour beer and frankly I don't think they could care less.

I do like the beer in the ice bucket idea. Better than ice in the beer. After my years here, I have settled in on Singha beer. It's not great but for the price it not too bad. I am used to micro brewed beer in the States which I miss dearly. So in short, don't mess with my beer even if it's just average beer.

The place where the wife and I go to eat occasionally has the service down pat. A Chang (for me) and Leo (for the missus) are brought to the table, the Chang goes in the ice bucket and the Leo gets poured with ice in the glass. I only had to explain once that I liked a cold (or cool in practice unfortunately!) beer but didn't like ice in my beer. All good.

Nice. That would be great to create something like that.