Wooden Fence Posts

oldmajor

Haha. Nooo....This plant is really another type of Box hedge. Most nurseries sell it right beside the Box.(The Box is a dark green and this plant is light green} Used to be 2 or 3 Baht per plant. Plant it in a zigzag pattern, 6 inches (15 cms) apart. The flowers come when the rains start. (March and July for us in Khao Yai) Another amazing thing with this plant is that it attracts bees which are the exact same colour as the flowers, lilac.
Not sure if the bees are this colour all year, or just when this plant is flowering. I'll post some pics.

Regards.

The pink plant (smile.png i'm not one for names) would need permanent posts but you can keep it in that flowering state permanently with feeding and watering.

The last pic shows the two plants. Box (dark green) in the foreground and the lighter green in the background.

The first pic shows the plant after it's first cut, 6 months from planting (6 inches high).

post-25023-0-53805900-1367323404_thumb.j

post-25023-0-39951600-1367323489_thumb.j

post-25023-0-52842000-1367324341_thumb.j

• Like 1

I know you guys are mostly in the north (sometimes when it comes to plants to grow I wish I was too)wink.png I know this is all a bit off topic from the OP's question but could all be an alternative to wood posts...

But a plant I use down here, for hedging, is Hibiscus (Shaba, in Thai) they are very easy to make cutting from ... just use pencil thick stems about 12 to 18" long and stick em in the ground 12" to 18" apart.

Other than the common red flowered one there are a number of other types which grow quickly ~

Here is one I like...there is a red form of this type too... so if one knows of sources of a mother plant (s) easy to do... As teletiger says best just before rainy season... I have had cuttings reach 6 to 8 feet within a year... with a bit of fertilizer and TLC.... shear out top once in a while to get them to bush out and be dense!

Garden%25252520May%2525252009_09.JPG

The pink vine Teletiger mentions (cannot think of name at moment either! wink.png ) but from my experience all vines need good support posts (I use galvanized metal posts) and wire to train along...

Rangon creeper another pink/red vine would be good for this too!

Bougainvillea can be a bit of a "bitch" to prune back, it's so prickly! w00t.gif but would act as a deterrent for stopping anything getting through...wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy
  • Like 1

25 baht will get you plants that stand about 60 cms (2 ft) If you plant your own "grazed" sticks it will take an extra year. The photo in the previous post was my neighbour's hedge in Khao Yai.

3 years old and he had just let it go. Trim it back in mid October (before the rains finish) just to shape it and wait for the Jan/Feb/March spectacular. The wicked spines on them prohibit most animals. Grown through a tree they will reach 15 metres.

Do some research. There is also a vibrant green "box" type hedge that gives a wonderful display of lilac flowers twice a year. Can't think of the name right now.

regards

That practically makes us neighbours...smile.png

We just moved to Chiang Mai. We were in Pong Talong, on the road to Wang Nam Keow.

Regards.

Allright, check, thanks anyway. CM? of all places..

We could make a very long fence, then we'll still be neighbours..

Haha. Nooo....This plant is really another type of Box hedge. Most nurseries sell it right beside the Box.(The Box is a dark green and this plant is light green} Used to be 2 or 3 Baht per plant. Plant it in a zigzag pattern, 6 inches (15 cms) apart. The flowers come when the rains start. (March and July for us in Khao Yai) Another amazing thing with this plant is that it attracts bees which are the exact same colour as the flowers, lilac.

Not sure if the bees are this colour all year, or just when this plant is flowering. I'll post some pics.

Regards.

The pink plant (smile.png i'm not one for names) would need permanent posts but you can keep it in that flowering state permanently with feeding and watering.

The last pic shows the two plants. Box (dark green) in the foreground and the lighter green in the background.

The first pic shows the plant after it's first cut, 6 months from planting (6 inches high).

The pink plant seems like it would be too much work but I do like the other two. Could I expect the box hedges to be sturdy enough to provide a good barrier from most animals / ne'er-do-wells?

I know you guys are mostly in the north (sometimes when it comes to plants to grow I wish I was too)wink.png I know this is all a bit off topic from the OP's question but could all be an alternative to wood posts...

But a plant I use down here, for hedging, is Hibiscus (Shaba, in Thai) they are very easy to make cutting from ... just use pencil thick stems about 12 to 18" long and stick em in the ground 12" to 18" apart.

Other than the common red flowered one there are a number of other types which grow quickly ~

Here is one I like...there is a red form of this type too... so if one knows of sources of a mother plant (s) easy to do... As teletiger says best just before rainy season... I have had cuttings reach 6 to 8 feet within a year... with a bit of fertilizer and TLC.... shear out top once in a while to get them to bush out and be dense!

Garden%25252520May%2525252009_09.JPG

The pink vine Teletiger mentions (cannot think of name at moment either! wink.png ) but from my experience all vines need good support posts (I use galvanized metal posts) and wire to train along...

Bougainvillea can be a bit of a "bitch" to prune back, it's so prickly! w00t.gif but would act as a deterrent for stopping anything getting through...wink.png

You mention that the Bougainvillea can be a bitch to prune back... Can I "prune" it with the hedgecutters?

I know you guys are mostly in the north (sometimes when it comes to plants to grow I wish I was too) I know this is all a bit off topic from the OP's question but could all be an alternative to wood posts...

The pink vine Teletiger mentions (cannot think of name at moment either! ) but from my experience all vines need good support posts (I use galvanized metal posts) and wire to train along...

Bougainvillea can be a bit of a "bitch" to prune back, it's so prickly! but would act as a deterrent for stopping anything getting through...

You mention that the Bougainvillea can be a bitch to prune back... Can I "prune" it with the hedgecutters?

No problem if you plan on pruning 3-4 times a year. Electrical hedge cutters are the way to, but you can't expect a Thai to use these correctly/not break/cut through the cable.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Edited by cooked

Bougainvillea hybride, or papper flower, inThai เฝื้องฟ้า ,my misses got some say's it will make a good hedge, she has had the same idea herself.

Creosote, I wish I could get some never seen it in Thailand, to an old farm fitter I knew said use old sump oil mixed with some diessel, I used road tar on the bottom 2 foot on eucalyptus posts to no effect post still rotted out in 2 years, at ground level where all the problems are.

Yours Reg

KS

Well as Cooked says if you do regularly.... you should be OK ..thumbsup.gif.. if you are like me an attempt a once in a blue moon shearing...(i.e.once a year or so ) it becomes a real chore! w00t.gif

Getting in to larger branches and pulling them out... will require a saw or larger pruners, one can expect to be jabbed more than once ! (or if you hire some to do, it might not be met with a lot of enthusiasm sad.pngwink.png )

I have not seen attachments for multi-head weed whackers here, in Thailand, that would certainly be easier that an electric hedge trimmer .. the wires very easy, to accidentally cut whistling.gifhit-the-fan.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

I put up some pictures a few years ago of a trimmed Bougainvillea. Obviously done with a hedge trimmer, perfectly square and smothered in colour. If you only cut it once a year you might need a chain saw!smile.png Use a motorized trimmer. No wires to cut.whistling.gif

You can get saw attachments for a weed whacker.

The Box wont keep much out, but a well put in Bougainvillea will keep everything out.

Regards.

• Like 1

Well as Cooked says if you do regularly.... you should be OK ..thumbsup.gif.. if you are like me an attempt a once in a blue moon shearing...(i.e.once a year or so ) it becomes a real chore! w00t.gif

Getting in to larger branches and pulling them out... will require a saw or larger pruners, one can expect to be jabbed more than once ! (or if you hire some to do, it might not be met with a lot of enthusiasm sad.pngwink.png )

I have not seen attachments for multi-head weed whackers here, in Thailand, that would certainly be easier that an electric hedge trimmer .. the wires very easy, to accidentally cut whistling.gifhit-the-fan.gif

Aha! You and Cooked where in the same business before retirementsmile.png

I put up some pictures a few years ago of a trimmed Bougainvillea. Obviously done with a hedge trimmer, perfectly square and smothered in colour. If you only cut it once a year you might need a chain saw!smile.png Use a motorized trimmer. No wires to cut.whistling.gif

You can get saw attachments for a weed whacker.

The Box wont keep much out, but a well put in Bougainvillea will keep everything out.

Regards.

Oh interesting you have found saw or trimmer attachments for trimmers...here in Thailand, not reached Samui yet.... wink.pngsad.png