Experiences With Polycarbonate / Plastic Roofing

We're looking at putting a verandah around the house. Already checked pricing using the same ceramic tiles (Seepac - not sure of spelling) as on upper main roof (with all steel frame work / would not consider wood) but the first overall price we got was 352,000Baht which included gypsum board ceiling all round. Overall footprint of the house perhaps about 20% bigger than average house size. Verandah would extend about 1.2 metres around half of the house and 1.8 metres around the other half of the house.

352,000Baht way beyond our budget. Two more quotes coming in next 48 hours.

Also asked the builder for a price using old Thai style ceramic tiles but builder says they are very expensive and would jack the price up about 15% more. Not sure I believe this and we will do our own research in the next couple of days re prices for the old Thai style tiles and comparison of pricing for the modern tiles.

Also considering polycarbonate sheeting for the roof. I've done some googling, manufacturers websites all of course paint a good picture about UV protection etc., but difficult to get any real answers on the overall life of polycarbonate sheets.

I did pick up that:

- Some manufacturers only produce poor quality,

- Some only produce 'premium' quality and others have a range of 'quality'.

I'm located in Chiang Mai, however would appreciate:

- Any comments from TV members, who have used polycarbonate roofing sheets, product / brand names would be appreciated if you've had a positive experience

- Especially comments on the overall life expectancy of polycarbonate roofing sheets

- Any suggestions of other alternatives.

Thanks.

Edited by scorecard

polycarbonate roofing sheets,don't last very long with the sun shineing on them every day after a couple of years they get brittle and crack very easy. plus they loss there color

try the aluminum roofing with the undercoat(its new) it cuts out a lot of noise when it rains

should be a lot cheaper

Edited by happynthailand

Thai Watsadu DIY Superstore is a good place to have a look..lots of different types of roofing...... Do you have one up there ? www.thaiwatsadu.com/index.html

The old Thai style ceramic tiles are very heavy, so not a good idea on a lean to....

The clear or coloured sheets, yes the colour goes and they get a crackle finish, mine are still good 10 years on but look more like frosted sheets of fibreglass.. built like a shed myself a few years ago out of the shelving steel and these sheets in the garden at the rear of the house.

The roofing sheet, noticed on Saturday in Thai Watsadu were 26 baht each, they had all the colours, these are un-painted treated on the bottom side, 1m 20 long by 60 wide., I have like a lean to, frame made of steel, and these sheets, total size is 12 meters x 3.7 meters... also built some 10 years ago, but asked a builder a couple of months ago about re-roofing this area + adding 2 meters more on the length so more steel needed as well.. total price was 8,000 baht. he and his son did it all in the day.

Also look at Colourbond steel roof or similar.. with the insulation glued on.. it's lighter than tiles so less steel for the frame and stronger than the poly.

the picture below just shows how little steel is required..

post-62652-0-78392000-1366680928_thumb.j

Also look at Colourbond steel roof or similar.. with the insulation glued on.. it's lighter than tiles so less steel for the frame and stronger than the poly.

attachicon.giffile_show_image.jpg

thaicbr,

Thanks for your response, can you please advise if Colourbond is an overall type of product or is it an actual brand name, and do you know, please where it's stocked in CM?

Any information you could please share appreciated, thanks.

file_show_image.jpg

thaicbr,

Thanks for your response, can you please advise if Colourbond is an overall type of product or is it an actual brand name, and do you know, please where it's stocked in CM?

Any information you could please share appreciated, thanks.

Colourbond is a brand name. Manufactured in Rayong. But you can probably get similar locally. Have a Google for colourbond to get an idea of what to look for. It is basically a steel/zinc sheet.

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE Q6

Google cool roof - look into coating the roof and walls for lower temperature inside.

Have a Thai get the bids - sometimes they see a farang coming and the price skyrockets.

Thanks.

Yes, well aware of 'farang price':

- First quote 352,000Baht (builder came several times for measurements etc., saw me several times)

- Second quote , received today 190,000Baht (builder never saw me, I was lecturing in Bkk)

- Third quote, received today 165,000Baht (builder never saw me, I was lecturing in Bkk) .... close to half the first quote.