Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

Seriously, how many of your players would get into our side, the one that played on sunday?

ok i'll bite. reina, kelly, johnson, enrique, agger (if fit), gerrard, kuyt, suarez.

reina

kelly/johnson, king, agger, enrique

parker modric

kuyt gerrard suarez

adebayor

you could debate bale ahead of kuyt but you could also debate lucas ahead of parker really.

You might be biting but i'm half serious because i think its interesting actually just how close a match we are. i would argue a strong case for Walker at right back and i don't think you can leave out Bale.

Either way. i think its going to run close, injuries playing a big factor, and what happens in the jan window. Both sides should be looking strong at christmas. I don't want to count out Arsenal yet but do you think he can sort out that defense before the gap gets too big? I'm not sure he can.

oh i agree, don't get me wrong - i think we're the two main teams fighting it out for the fourth CL spot really. we're still very much in transition and rebuilding and we've not the confidence of a settled team yet. you lot are trying to bounce back after last season's disappointing finish. we're both much stronger than arsenal though.

Seriously, how many of your players would get into our side, the one that played on sunday?

ok i'll bite. reina, kelly, johnson, enrique, agger (if fit), gerrard, kuyt, suarez.

reina

kelly/johnson, king, agger, enrique

parker modric

kuyt gerrard suarez

adebayor

you could debate bale ahead of kuyt but you could also debate lucas ahead of parker really.

You might be biting but i'm half serious because i think its interesting actually just how close a match we are. i would argue a strong case for Walker at right back and i don't think you can leave out Bale.

Either way. i think its going to run close, injuries playing a big factor, and what happens in the jan window. Both sides should be looking strong at christmas. I don't want to count out Arsenal yet but do you think he can sort out that defense before the gap gets too big? I'm not sure he can.

oh i agree, don't get me wrong - i think we're the two main teams fighting it out for the fourth CL spot really. we're still very much in transition and rebuilding and we've not the confidence of a settled team yet. you lot are trying to bounce back after last season's disappointing finish. we're both much stronger than arsenal though.

So your no longer challenging Chelsea for 3rd spot then :o

i have to say, Andre Villas-Boas has settled in very quickly and during the part of their Bolton game i saw they looked very efficient. Mindyou, it could also have been a reflection on just how poor Bolton are.

Do Chelsea look that great on paper? Not really.

Edited by carmine

yeah bolton were awful, but chelsea still have a really strong squad. they're the team that will lose most players to the african cup of nations in the new year i think though aren't they?

Yep thats right. However, if you look at the squad, how many of those players are key players at the moment? Essien, once superb is now longterm crocked, Drogba becoming less important as Sturridge continues to impress, Obi Mikel often on the bech and relatively crap anyway.

He's impressing already is AVB and i reckon he'll get Torres back on song to form a potentially very good partnership with Sturridge.

Edited by carmine

My theory on Chelsea is that they are underrated by that I mean I would think it more likely that they would beat United or City than one of the other 'three' will beat them. My reasoning is this....

(1) If we go to the end of the last January window and look at the performance until the end of the season (15 games), Chelsea scored the most points in the league. In many respects this was quite an achievement because they were playing effectively with 10 1/2 men. By that I mean that Torres wasnt scoring any goals and generally speaking when Torres isnt scoring any goals he doesnt do a lot else. So Torres is all upside for Chelsea this year, either he will come good or else he is likely to play less and they have plenty of strikers to take his place.

(2) During the summer the top 3 teams all spent a net spend of roughly the same. Well I think that City spent 20m more but arguably they have lost Tevez without actually selling him. Mata looks like a good acquisition that will help the quality of the team. So there is no big reason to think that Chelsea have slipped. (And it would be highly optimistic to think that say Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool who have much lower net spend would overtake them.) (Ok Liverpool's net spend wasnt much lower but they finished the season 14 points behind.)

(3) I would agree that the loss of Essien is a major problem for which Chelsea had the obvious answer in Modric. And my view would be more on the lines that if Chelsea had Modric they would have everything on paper to challenge United and City for the title especially if Torres came good.

(4) As an aside I think that there are two myths about Chelsea. One is that they are no longer a big spender - when over the last two windows their net spend has been the highest in the league (without even including the 40m they were happy to splash on Modric). Secondly I think there is a tendency to begin to write off older players early if they are no longer at their peak. John Terry,for instance, had an exceptional year last season.

I've noticed that there dosen't seem to be any mention of the behaviour of the Everton fans on saturday,too busy spouting their vile hatred,Hillsborough songs/gestures and bitterness to notce their team was 0-1 down with ten men at home and actually in need of some support. If you get behind them, you can sometimes win with ten men, like us last time out.

Not to mention the coins/bottles thrown at bellamy and suarez to name a few.

Disgrace to the city.

PST.

Possibly no mention because the ''vile hatred'' was the chanting of murderers, relating to Hysel not Hillsborough.

Bellamy is a nob anyway, Suarez wants shagging for throwing himself, likewise Lucas for agitating for the red card.

Yes disgrace etc (yawn)

I've noticed that there dosen't seem to be any mention of the behaviour of the Everton fans on saturday,too busy spouting their vile hatred,Hillsborough songs/gestures and bitterness to notce their team was 0-1 down with ten men at home and actually in need of some support. If you get behind them, you can sometimes win with ten men, like us last time out.

Disgrace to the city.

PST.

Possibly no mention because the ''vile hatred'' was the chanting of murderers, relating to Hysel not Hillsborough.

Bellamy is a nob anyway, Suarez wants shagging for throwing himself, likewise Lucas for agitating for the red card.

Yes disgrace etc (yawn)

Far more than the murderers chants,which by the way i'm clearly aware was relating to Heysel.

You could hear quite clearly what was being sung,no need to go into it,it's been mentioned in the press.

Have you met Craig Bellamy?,why's he a nob?,is he nob when he does Charity work?.

Did you go on Saturday?.

PST.

Disgrace to the city.

PST.

Yes disgrace etc (yawn)

wasn't 'just' murderers.

what wants doing to hibbert for trying to break adam's leg out of interest?

Edited by StevieH

Disgrace to the city.

PST.

Yes disgrace etc (yawn)

Far more than the murderers chants,which by the way i'm clearly aware was relating to Heysel.

You could hear quite clearly what was being sung,no need to go into it,it's been mentioned in the press.

Have you met Craig Bellamy?,why's he a nob?,is he nob when he does Charity work?.

Did you go on Saturday?.

PST.

i thought everyone knew Bellamy was a nob! :rolleyes:

gerrard looking increasingly likely to start against the glams this weekend. wonder if we can encourage rooney into getting sent off two games on the bounce? can't imagine for a moment there'll be any chants or banners about his old man. . .

gerrard looking increasingly likely to start against the glams this weekend. wonder if we can encourage rooney into getting sent off two games on the bounce? can't imagine for a moment there'll be any chants or banners about his old man. . .

I must stick a pony on that then. biggrin.gif

well i was rather right about atkinson wasn't i james? made the game all about him as he usually does.

marriner's not a showman like atkinson. he's just not particularly good is all.

if we play a 4-2-3-1 and look to boss the midfield then i think we'll beat you. if we play a more open 4-4-2 and concede too much space to your wide players then i think we'll struggle.

well i was rather right about atkinson wasn't i james? made the game all about him as he usually does.

if we play a 4-2-3-1 and look to boss the midfield then i think we'll beat you. if we play a more open 4-4-2 and concede too much space to your wide players then i think we'll struggle.

come on stevie, i think you were going on and on about atkinson being a major worry for you ;)

anyways, you dont seem to like any refs? maybe a top 3 in your books?

Looking forward to the match, hope Suarez stays on his feet.

come on stevie, i think you were going on and on about atkinson being a major worry for you ;)

Do you think Nani will stay on his feet?

depends if skyrtel or adam are in the vacinity mate ;)

depends if skyrtel or adam are in the vacinity mate ;)

I don't actually think Adam is a dirty player. He's just hopelessly slow.

Edited by carmine

I see your managing director has been quite outspoken with his views on the future TV deals and City's stadium naming issue!

Another step towards the European super league created and run by the top 20 clubs in Europe.

Did not know that City have until 2013 until the stadium deal can be looked into rolleyes.gif plenty of time there then.

Liverpool owner John W Henry admits he knew 'virtually nothing' about the club or English football before completing a takeover in October 2010.

His Fenway Sports Group (FSG) helped to oust fellow Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks from the Anfield boardroom last year.

Their arrival was greeted with much fanfare in the red half of Merseyside, with it felt that changes at the top were vital if the club were to move forward on and off the field.

FSG are set to celebrate their one-year anniversary as Liverpool owners on Saturday and believe they have made progress during that time.

New players have been drafted in, Kenny Dalglish has returned as manager and results have started to improve.

Henry is pleased with how his first 12 months at Anfield have unfolded, especially as he came into the post virtually blind to the challenge he was taking on.

Task

He has, however, been a success in his homeland with the Boston Red Sox baseball team and believes parallels can be drawn between his two sporting enterprises.

Henry believes he can help revive Liverpool's fortunes both at home and abroad, but concedes that he knew little of the financial difficulties and the size of the task facing him when he arrived.

"We knew virtually nothing about Liverpool Football Club nor EPL (the Barclays Premier League)." He told The Guardian.

Tom Werner, who is now Liverpool's chairman, also had limited knowledge of the Reds, but claims to have been aware that FSG were buying into a global brand.

"I had been in sports so I was aware of the EPL and its strength globally," Werner said.

whistling.gif"But I didn't know the inner workings of it. I certainly knew about Manchester United."

I was slightly surprised to see a survey that placed Liverpool 4th in terms of support of a global fan base in the EPL with 71m fans behind Man U (354m), Chelsea (135m), Arsenal (113m) and 7th globally behind Real, Barcelona and Milan. Living in Thailand I have always rather felt that Liverpool were the number 2 best supported team and of course they may well be. But Thailand hardly constitutes the world and things could be very different in China or India.

I notice on facebook that Livevpool, Chelsea and Arsenal are pretty close.

Utd - 19,925,432 likes

Arsenal - 7,730,787 likes

Chelsea - 7,392,831 likes

Liverpool - 7,221,447 likes

Man City - 1,101,715 likes

Spurs - 826,098 likes

I was slightly surprised to see a survey that placed Liverpool 4th in terms of support of a global fan base in the EPL with 71m fans behind Man U (354m), Chelsea (135m), Arsenal (113m) and 7th globally behind Real, Barcelona and Milan. Living in Thailand I have always rather felt that Liverpool were the number 2 best supported team and of course they may well be. But Thailand hardly constitutes the world and things could be very different in China or India.

if that's from that times article is't absolute horseshit. as if chelsea have twice as many fans around the world than liverpool do.