Liverpool F.c.

scousemouse

carroll looked really good as well again, linking up with gerrard and suarez. be a different story this season if we'd been able to field those three together on a more regular basis.

enjoyable that. everton wives no doubt still at this moment running for their lives.

Yeah he did play well, very pleased for the lad. Hes certainly been working on other parts to his game and dare I say starting to look like a Liverpool player bit by bit.

Ok he's not scoring goals but you notice if his first few touches in a game are good and he wins a few Ariel battles he seems to loosen up and get involved much more. Whats impressed me when he has played of late is how effective he can be when he wins the first header and flicks it on to a team mate. And players now seem to support more with runs anticipating he will win the header and look for the knock down. Where as before I felt some of our midfield were guilty of not making a run of him.

Spearing impressed me again. I still think he can be our main CDM even when Lucas is back. When Jay keeps it simple it gives Gerrard freedom to push forward to deadly effect.

"Bastion of Invincibility" Liverpool Football Club.

Sorry dev but Lucas is in a different league to Spearing.

Haha wasn't saying Jay was better than Lucas or same type of player...

I see Lucas developing as a midfielder more into a box to box than just a CDM, ( needs to work on his shooting) if you recall going back to end of last season when we went on a very good run both Lucas and Spearing played together, Lucas got forward more with Jay holding and at the start of this year Lucas surprised a few people with his forward runs and penetrating passes but partnered Adam.

Lucas is very good in the air defensively which is Jays biggest weakness but it was no coincidence why Gerrard got forward more last night with Spearing holding compared to when Adam plays with Gerrard.

Anyway what I want to see is Gerrard more forward for certain games. I tell you what - I can't think of a more complete midfielder as Gerrard in the modern game. The sad fact is we are not going to get a lot of games out of Gerrard over the next few seasons so I see Spearing and Lucas partnership being used more going forward.

Good point that about pushing Johnson up and including Kelly.

We discussed a similar scenio at Spurs pushing up Kyle Walker when Lennons injured and we could include our England U21 right back who's name i can't remember at this time or the morning.

Mindyou, Redknapps won't fathom something like that.

The return of Gerard is a God send for Suarez. Get Lucas and Agger back to fitness, keep the excellent Enrique fit and theres the nucleus of a very good side.

If i were a red as i said before i'd be very disappointed in Downing and Henderson but as a bonus is i can't see a starting place for Adam.

All in all you should be looking forward to a strong season coming up.

I've edited to say that the major is probably whether Suarez will stay and i reckon he and gerard would be very very good in complimenting each other but with the likes of PSG and the British media it could be difficult to keep him

Edited by carmine

A lot is going to depend on whether Kenny thinks Kelly is ready to step up and basically takeover from Johnson. If he is, I think another possibility is that Johnson may well be sold in the summer. Johnson will be 28 which is a good age to sell a player and Kelly is 21. It would provide funds to make up for deficiencies elsewhere in the squad. I dont see us getting a huge 'war chest' to spend in the summer so it will be about trying to improve the efficiency in the squad. So selling a player (even a very good one) who is beginning to age but has a ready made younger replacement makes sense. Of course if the view is that Johnson is still in a different league than Kelly it clearly does not.

Good win, two very good goals ( Suarez and Downing)

Always hard against Stoke but in the end I thought we looked comfortable. There was the obvious bombardment of balls into the box but thought we coped well for most of it.

Wembley again this year? This Kenny guy hasn't a clue has he ;)

Always hard against Stoke but in the end I thought we looked comfortable. There was the obvious bombardment of balls into the box but thought we coped well for most of it.

Wembley again this year? This Kenny guy hasn't a clue has he wink.png

You beat Stoke. Well done. But best look at you league position. Whilst i've already said he should be given until christmas to be properly judged i think baring in mind also how much has been spent and the style of play over this season most would say he has an aweful lot to prove this time round. However i know i'm talking about KK on a Liverpool thread so i expect little rationale.

Lets be honest dev, even when you've played like a pub team hardly ant of you will point a finger of blame on KK but simply find anyone else to blame.

isn't that just about 100% correct?

You beat Stoke. Well done. But best look at you league position. Whilst i've already said he should be given until christmas to be properly judged i think baring in mind also how much has been spent and the style of play over this season most would say he has an aweful lot to prove this time round. However i know i'm talking about KK on a Liverpool thread so i expect little rationale.

Lets be honest dev, even when you've played like a pub team hardly ant of you will point a finger of blame on KK but simply find anyone else to blame.

I cant really say we have played like a pub team Carmine - been about 3-4 bad performances all season the rest we have attacked teams,created lots of chances and played some nice football - now taking chances thats another subject ! And yes I think a few of us have been dissapointed tha part of ourt game hasnt been adressed in the league!

Now if Spurs dont finish in the top 4 - is that a disaster becuase that is looking increasingly likely more and more !!!

If Liverpool dont finish top 4 - thats a certaintly now - I dont see that as a disaster but just disspaointing as we want to be top 4 but a 5-6th finsih is to be expected now.

If we win the FA Cup - and thats if we do... then surley our season and Kenny's have has been very good - no?

Edited by Devil

I am one of the few supporters who doesn't think Kenny is always right. I question his substitutions (especially the late ones---no impact) and his juggling players just to get the new signings on the pitch. I believe that if a few results had gone our way then we would be much closer to a champions league spot. This is genuinely not trying to gloss over things as I know we are nowhere near the finished article I want to see, but we have played really well in a couple of games that we should have won but didn't. I don't think those results were Kenny's fault just bad luck (I know bad luck again)

I cant really say we have played like a pub team Carmine - been about 3-4 bad performances all season the rest we have attacked teams,created lots of chances and played some nice football - now taking chances thats another subject ! And yes I think a few of us have been dissapointed tha part of ourt game hasnt been adressed in the league!

Now if Spurs dont finish in the top 4 - is that a disaster becuase that is looking increasingly likely more and more !!!

If Liverpool dont finish top 4 - thats a certaintly now - I dont see that as a disaster but just disspaointing as we want to be top 4 but a 5-6th finsih is to be expected now.

If we win the FA Cup - and thats if we do... then surley our season and Kenny's have has been very good - no?

Edited by carmine

So...do you reckon you can win all of your remaining games?

No... But I see us winning the FA Cup Semi either Everton or Sunderland at Wembley. And I think we will finish above Newcastle in the league - based on remaining fixtures.

No... But I see us winning the FA Cup Semi either Everton or Sunderland at Wembley. And I think we will finish above Newcastle in the league - based on remaining fixtures.

Aree with that Dev. 6th in the league, the carling and in the FA cup final.

Now this is when it get amusing. he's the scenario. You lose in that final ok so it the wothless cup and 7th in the league and again no CL football.

Kenny as manager

A Well you've spent millions and we;re still so far behind the other five clubs we supposed to be challenging but we've won a small trophy. Frankly siappointing really.

OR

B Things are looking great for the future. Won a cup and made up for Kenny

Woy as manger

A Well you ain't had hardly anything to spend but regardless you are a reviled piece of sh*te to be abused reviled and undermined and that cup is a worthless joke. You deserve to be in the dock with Ratko Mladic and all of that Liverpudlian melodrama.

OR

B Well done Woy, nought to spend but we won something and made europa.

Over to you Dev mate! biggrin.png

Edited by carmine

Aree with that Dev. 6th in the league, the carling and in the FA cup final.

Now this is when it get amusing. he's the scenario. You lose in that final ok so it the wothless cup and 7th in the league and again no CL football.

Kenny as manager

A Well you've spent millions and we;re still so far behind the other five clubs we supposed to be challenging but we've won a small trophy. Frankly siappointing really.

OR

B Things are looking great for the future. Won a cup and made up for Kenny

Woy as manger

A Well you ain't had hardly anything to spend but regardless you are a reviled piece of sh*te to be abused reviled and undermined and that cup is a worthless joke. You deserve to be in the dock with Ratko Mladic and all of that Liverpudlian melodrama.

OR

B Well done Woy, nought to spend but we won something and made europa.

Over to you Dev mate! biggrin.png

Paul Konchelsky - need I say more :)

Carroll, Henderson, Adam....need I say more? biggrin.png

Exactly smokie exactly. Konchelsky was an aweful buy but compared to the clusterf*ck of spending since it pales into insignificance.

And did you notice Dev couldn't answer the question honestly could he!! he ducked it. Incidentally smokes do you think that Woy was quite as evil and poisonous as they thought as they were abusing and undermining him" If you asked the other 19 football managers in the league about him they'd say he was doing rather a good job.

Dev ducked my question because you can't defend the indefensible and he knows i'm right smile.png

As Ferguson said recently, Woy never had a chance, and fair enough if the man love thing went with rafa and they wanted the return of a club legend but why the appalling vitriol and undermining of your own manager and team?

Edited by carmine

Exactly smokie exactly. Konchelsky was an aweful buy but compared to the clusterf*ck of spending since it pales into insignificance.

And did you notice Dev couldn't answer the question honestly could he!! he ducked it. Incidentally smokes do you think that Woy was quite as evil and poisonous as they thought as they were abusing and undermining him" If you asked the other 19 football managers in the league about him they'd say he was doing rather a good job.

Reason is he knows i'm right. smile.png

Oh they know its true alright. Sure he had no money to spend but he got on and made the best of a bad situation. Then of course the fans decided he was part of their "evil" regime and had to go.

In the fashion world it would be akin to "airbrushing" I believe.

King Kenny has a cheeky grin so its OK to finish seventh....if their board don't cough up more dosh in the summer the fans will give him another season...and another..ad nauseum...

Reason is he knows i'm right. smile.png

Oh they know its true alright. Sure he had no money to spend but he got on and made the best of a bad situation. Then of course the fans decided he was part of their "evil" regime and had to go.

In the fashion world it would be akin to "airbrushing" I believe.

King Kenny has a cheeky grin so its OK to finish seventh....if their board don't cough up more dosh in the summer the fans will give him another season...and another..ad nauseum...

They'd be delighted for Kenny if they just missed relegationcoffee1.gif

Look you are rewriting history to claim that Hodgson was doing a good job. Every single player he bought was subsequently sold or sent out on loan. His record 25 points from 20 games was disastrous. You can easily argue that he should have been given more time but, I, for one am glad he wasnt.

As far as Kenny goes, when a plan doesnt go as well as expected especially if you are hit by crucial injuries, it is often better to stick with the plan than come up with a new one. We are not inherently like Chelsea who like to sack their manager every 18 months. It is not the route to long term success. We have dominated a lot of games without winning them because of a lack of creativity and finishing in the final 3rd. That needs to be resolved rather than canning the manager. It reminds me of a quote from John Henry.

It’s important to have a plan, remain disciplined in executing that plan, and pay attention to what is actually happening rather than what you expect to happen. We try to be as objective as possible in our analyses… It’s not always easy for people who are involved every day to stay with a plan when misfortune occurs for a time. You always encounter the unexpected and this can push discipline right out of the way in the name of prudence. But prudence almost always dictates staying with the approach that has made you successful. I see that as one of my primary roles. I often encourage everyone during difficult days to remain patient. I don’t blame people for the unexpected.

Look you are rewriting history to claim that Hodgson was doing a good job. Every single player he bought was subsequently sold or sent out on loan. His record 25 points from 20 games was disastrous. You can easily argue that he should have been given more time but, I, for one am glad he wasnt.

As far as Kenny goes, when a plan doesnt go as well as expected especially if you are hit by crucial injuries, it is often better to stick with the plan than come up with a new one. We are not inherently like Chelsea who like to sack their manager every 18 months. It is not the route to long term success. We have dominated a lot of games without winning them because of a lack of creativity and finishing in the final 3rd. That needs to be resolved rather than canning the manager. It reminds me of a quote from John Henry.

It’s important to have a plan, remain disciplined in executing that plan, and pay attention to what is actually happening rather than what you expect to happen. We try to be as objective as possible in our analyses… It’s not always easy for people who are involved every day to stay with a plan when misfortune occurs for a time. You always encounter the unexpected and this can push discipline right out of the way in the name of prudence. But prudence almost always dictates staying with the approach that has made you successful. I see that as one of my primary roles. I often encourage everyone during difficult days to remain patient. I don’t blame people for the unexpected.

Yes but Carroll, Henderson AND Adam...all duff buys...and all within the same year. Must be something fundamentally wrong there surely?

Yes but Carroll, Henderson AND Adam...all duff buys...and all within the same year. Must be something fundamentally wrong there surely?

Well personally I dont think Henderson will prove a duff buy in the long run.

And on the plus side Suarez, Enrique, Coates and Bellamy.

Henderson is going to come good, I have no doubt, not yet though, Charlie Adam was bought as a squad player, and as that he will do fine for us (assuming he remembers how to kick the ball properly) Carroll is still a mystery to me, but I live in hope

No ones rewriting history books adrak. Most would say 25 points from 20 games was a remarkable achievement baring in mind the way he and the team were undermined. So lets just make that loud and clear what most supporters from other teams think. Least the ones that i know think. How on earth would you expect anything other than failure the way he was treated. and the team for that matter. Now read smokies post regarding the purchases since Woy went to the hague to face charges for crimes against anfield. laugh.png

• Like 1

Ignore them mate they have spent too long in the past defending these arguments and have become experts in manipulating words to sound like sense. After 1 1/2 seasons in the limelight they are drunk with it. Pity them when harry leaves, followed by 1/2 a squad, and 1/2 a stadium.clap2.gif

Ignore them mate they have spent too long in the past defending these arguments and have become experts in manipulating words to sound like sense. After 1 1/2 seasons in the limelight they are drunk with it. Pity them when harry leaves, followed by 1/2 a squad, and 1/2 a stadium.clap2.gif

thats right pal thats right. We'll be in dreamland if srcotum face leaves believe me. Have you any idea how much we long for a 4-4-2?!! As for our stadium i have a greater trust in Daniel levy than i do your disparaging comments. smile.png btw, Downings <deleted> aswell. hides in the big games that lad

Edited by carmine

No ones rewriting history books adrak. Most would say 25 points from 20 games was a remarkable achievement baring in mind the way he and the team were undermined. So lets just make that loud and clear what most supporters from other teams think. Least the ones that i know think. How on earth would you expect anything other than failure the way he was treated. and the team for that matter. Now read smokies post regarding the purchases since Woy went to the hague to face charges for crimes against anfield. laugh.png

Well I certainly sympathize with your view that he didnt really stand a chance from the start. He was a very badly thought appointment, appointed for the wrong amount of time. The resulting commotion it caused was sort of inevitable. I do notice that your attempts to criticize and undermine your manager over the last couple of years dont seem to have made a blind bit of difference though. Speaking of which I notice that Jurgen Klinsman is now the bookies faborite for the post.

Well I certainly sympathize with your view that he didnt really stand a chance from the start. He was a very badly thought appointment, appointed for the wrong amount of time. The resulting commotion it caused was sort of inevitable. I do notice that your attempts to criticize and undermine your manager over the last couple of years dont seem to have made a blind bit of difference though. Speaking of which I notice that Jurgen Klinsman is now the bookies faborite for the post.

How have i undermined Redknapp? Do you presume i have the ear of Levy and a hotline straight to his desk phone? i live in Thailand and express my views on the forum.

Stop putting up naff arguements. Undermining is all about verbal abuse at matches and the disgusting vitriol which damaged yours teams performances and their confidence. That and all the Rafa manlove crap we all watched before open mouthed! biggrin.png

How have i undermined Redknapp? Do you presume i have the ear of Levy and a hotline straight to his desk phone? i live in Thailand and express my views on the forum.

Stop putting up naff arguements. Undermining is all about verbal abuse at matches and the disgusting vitriol which damaged yours teams performances and their confidence. That and all the Rafa manlove crap we all watched before open mouthed! biggrin.png

Yes we all remember the latter days of Rafa's team....boot it up to Torres to run on to. Its those tactics and lack of support that caused the lad's confidence to shatter in the first place.

Man love...oh yeah. He inherits a team which luckily for him went on to win the CL...then completely f*cks it up.

Yes we all remember the latter days of Rafa's team....boot it up to Torres to run on to. Its those tactics and lack of support that caused the lad's confidence to shatter in the first place.

Man love...oh yeah. He inherits a team which luckily for him went on to win the CL...then completely f*cks it up.

Oh come on....in 08/09 the team were second with 87 points. Then the financial plug was pulled. It was bound to go downhill (Benitez is always fairly resource heavy). Hodgson was supposed to steady the ship but it simply sank further.

Looks like Kenny is turning out to be resource heavy as well, doesn't it?

Problem with the team is too many years out of the CL and a bit of a reputation for chewing up and spitting out players at all levels. It has been a multi decadal problem

was one thing i didnt really gel with rafa for instance, at times it was like a sausage factory and he failed to adapt when the financial supply line was cut off. Is one thing Redknapp did well when levy told him he couldnt spend last summer, he begged, borrowed and stole with loan deals and smart budget purchases

something that eluded both rafa [after a good start, his reord slumped post 2008 in the market] and Roy Hodgson by the end. Surely we could have found some loan deals or part exchange options rather than some of this dross we got like Degen, jovanovic, Voronin, all paid more per week than say Van Der Vaart and Modric?

as for kenny, I also think he is undermined a bit by the lack of clarity and vision in the senior scouting team. Another problem which has dogged the club for many years. Its like between a rock and a hard place, you dont want to pay the big wages, but you are also unable to find the gems and diamonds in the rough, so you end up signing rather too many average players. You get stuck between looking after the present by bringing in enough quality and looking after the future by blooding younger players and we kind of ended up over the last few years doing neither very well, for one reason or another

I do though like Kenny's desire for the team to compete in every competition they enter. It is a balancing act but trophies do help to foster belief in an otherwise workaday squad and keep things bubbling along a bit in this present era of mediocrity

Edited by RichBKK