Samsung Galaxy S4

I did seem SGS4's in shops in MBK over the weekend; in a Jaymart shop I was told that they would have units on/by/before 16 May.

21,900 is the confirmed local MSRP.

I think that was also the S3 MSRP when if first came out....I guess Samsung likes that 21,900 MSRP for their top end phone...maintains a good profit margin; but I doubt as good as Apple's profit margin for its IPhone5 top end phone.

Strange really, quite a bit cheaper than the UK which isn't usually the case. I wonder if it's the quad core version, though that's the one in the UK and it's at least 10,000 dearer.

I think the Thailland/this part of the world version is the octa-core (4+4) version. See this Samsung Thailand Link (Google translate is you friend at this site).

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I did seem SGS4's in shops in MBK over the weekend; in a Jaymart shop I was told that they would have units on/by/before 16 May.

I think that was also the S3 MSRP when if first came out....I guess Samsung likes that 21,900 MSRP for their top end phone...maintains a good profit margin; but I doubt as good as Apple's profit margin for its IPhone5 top end phone.

Strange really, quite a bit cheaper than the UK which isn't usually the case. I wonder if it's the quad core version, though that's the one in the UK and it's at least 10,000 dearer.

My experience is the opposite so it doesn't surprise me... It's roughly US$700 here which is also roughly the price I'd expect it to be in the US (off contract).

Stuff that's $700 in the US I'd expect it to be £600 in the UK. As a very general rule of thumb, that is...

I was looking at hard drives recently. One was ~100 bucks on Newegg and ~80 quid on overclockers.co.uk. It's just the way it's been as long as I can remember...

I think the Thailland/this part of the world version is the octa-core (4+4) version. See this Samsung Thailand Link (Google translate is you friend at this site).

The world really has gone mad, Thailand gets octa core while the uk gets quad core for £200 more.

Just done some googling and the US gets a quad core as well as apparently the octa core can't handle lte, strange eh?

The world really has gone mad, Thailand gets octa core while the uk gets quad core for £200 more.

Just done some googling and the US gets a quad core as well as apparently the octa core can't handle lte, strange eh?

Dammit... that's just the i9500 with the Exynos 5 Octa... I was hoping Th would be getting the i9502 (same but dual sim)...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Actually i bought my wife a note 8 and for 15,000 i think they are outstanding as well. Prefer it to my note 10.1 but can't get my hands on it.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I played with an SGS4 briefly, I like the styling/form factor/feel, better than the SGS3 and it is noticeably thinner than my GN4. The screen, both size and 'crispness' is pretty amazing. I could do without a lot of the Samsung bloatware but some of it may be innovative and useful on a daily basis; I'd need more time with the unit. I honestly forgot to verify Android version.

post-9615-0-77447200-1368067482_thumb.jp

Just checked in the UK the S4 is pricing on pay as you go at around £550.

So 3500 Baht cheaper in Thailand.

Is that cash price for Handset only.?.Ive seen that 550 price on the H.P and connected. Someone told me the handset was only about 150GBP.

Is that cash price for Handset only.?.Ive seen that 550 price on the H.P and connected. Someone told me the handset was only about 150GBP.

Apologies....the S4 is not available on PAYG in the UK when I checked the other day.

Will look again and reply later today hopefully. Obviously they want to sign up as many as possible to expensive contracts before simply selling the phone on its own.

That price is taken from a store website.

• Like 1

I think somebody got it backwards. 150 quid on contract and 550 without contract is far more likely. Edited by bobl

Apologies....the S4 is not available on PAYG in the UK when I checked the other day.

Will look again and reply later today hopefully. Obviously they want to sign up as many as possible to expensive contracts before simply selling the phone on its own.

That price is taken from a store website.

£550 PAYG on 3

Well, today I bought two S4's today at a DTAC Service Center for the wife and me...yes, full/final price of 21,900 Baht (which includes the VAT) per phone. Since the S4 uses a microSIM and our Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 phones used miniSIMs, DTAC provided microSIMs at no charge and they do it immediately on the spot...only takes them about a minute. Now we already have DTAC postpaid smartphone plans, but we switched to a new one which cost 539 baht plus 7% VAT = 577 baht ( approx. $19.25) which includes 550 voice minutes and unlimited 3G 2GB data per month and unlimited Wifi...however, the mobile data speed is throttled back to 384Kb (not 64Kb) speed after exceeding 2GB/month...then at the start of your next billing cycle you are unthrottled/back to full speed. So, even if I happen to use up the 2GB (I don't even use 1GB now) at speeds up to the theoretical 42Mb 3G advertised speed, I already know from USB Aircard usage during the 2011 flood and when using my previous plan in low speed areas that 384Kb is good enough for basic browsing, emailing, etc.

It's a postpaid plan named Unlimited Super which guarantees the 539 baht plan for 18 months but you can cancel/change plans after 3 months. After the 18 months the price will jump to 999 baht/month, but we would no doubt change plans before then. The Thai wife and I made sure with two sales reps, both of which also spoke fair English, the 539 baht/month price wasn't just a promotion for 3 months and then jumped up to 999 baht after that. We had one rep write down the monthly price...he wrote months 1-18 @ 539 baht/mo and months 19 and above 999 baht/mo. SMSs are extra a 1 baht per SMS, but we hardly send any SMSs. I was already in another DTAC voice/data plan which was for 18 months with a reduced price for months 1-6 and then a higher price for months 7-18....I had just started into the 7th month, but they cancelled that plan with no questions and no penalty in switching to this new "cheaper" plan which gives me significantly more voice minutes and 3G speed data per month. Good deal....more for less. Postpaid plans sure have underwent big changes over just the last few months as the Thai mobile carriers role out new plans under the new rules set by the govt where they were suppose to reduce prices by 15-20%. On the DTAC web site their pages/promotions have changed greatly from just a few weeks ago and their brochures have a big bunch of postpaid plans--almost too many to choose from.

Edited by Pib

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/device/samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S4.html

If you use 550 minutes, or even ~ 150, that's a great promotional package, especially given that there really was no premium on the phone. 550 minutes is 499 baht, and while there is no 2 GB add-on that I can see, estimating it might be 525 baht, even at 999 baht it's a slight discount.

The SGS4 is a fantastic phone; the screen is just incredible. There are are a ton of features; be sure to check out the universal remote which comes in handy, even if only to goof on friends/family. ;)

I'm paying 529 baht (~ 570 with VAT) for only 1.5 GB (FuP 64 Kbps) and only 250 minutes, but I had just purchased a GN4 (~ 11,500 baht/$384.80) so couldn't justify a new phone.

Was there any mention of 2100 MHz? Are you, or will you be automatically, part of that system, or will you have to port out/port in next month?

I was told my account was switched already, but no way to be absolutely sure at this point.

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/device/samsung/Samsung-Galaxy-S4.html

If you use 550 minutes, or even ~ 150, that's a great promotional package, especially given that there really was no premium on the phone. 550 minutes is 499 baht, and while there is no 2 GB add-on that I can see, estimating it might be 525 baht, even at 999 baht it's a slight discount.

The SGS4 is a fantastic phone; the screen is just incredible. There are are a ton of features; be sure to check out the universal remote which comes in handy, even if only to goof on friends/family. wink.png

I'm paying 529 baht (~ 570 with VAT) for only 1.5 GB (FuP 64 Kbps) and only 250 minutes, but I had just purchased a GN4 (~ 11,500 baht/$384.80) so couldn't justify a new phone.

Was there any mention of 2100 MHz? Are you, or will you be automatically, part of that system, or will you have to port out/port in next month?

I was told my account was switched already, but no way to be absolutely sure at this point.

Yes, your link above is the Smartphone package I got. I thought it was an awesome package also. When the wife and I originally went in I had been researching the DTAC web site for their latest voice/data postpaid promotions and I had pretty much resigned myself to choosing a B529 package which would provide me 250 voice minutes and Unlimited 1.5GB 3G (over 1.5GB is throttled to 64Kb)...see this DTAC Link where you can pick and choose the number of minutes and data amount that best fits a person. I even handled the DTAC rep a printout of the plan I wanted to switch to and they were very empathetic they had a better deal.

That's when they explained the plan in your link above. I almost thought it was too good to be true...and that is when I asked them over and over (and my Thai wife did also) regarding the time period of deal...that is, to ensure the price didn't jump after a 3 to 6 months promotional period, etc...they made it clear the price was for an 18 month period...and after 3 months I could cancel/change the contract if desired. And when one of the reps wrote out the plan's core details and English and showed me and the Thai wife where it said that on the plan brochure in Thai I was pretty much satisfied I was getting a good deal and could even cancel after 3 months if desired. The plan I was on until switched was a DTAC postpaid plan I signed up for in Nov 12 and it gave 350 voice minutes/1GB data (FUP throttled to 384Kb speed after 1GB usage) for B499 for months 1-6 and then B699 months 7-18. While that plan was one of DTAC's better postpaid plans back in Nov 12, oh, what a difference a few months can make with the 3G competition between DTAC/True/AIS and the govt requiring some lower tariff packages under the 3G auction rules/regulations. Yea, I'm pretty pleased with the price of my new B539 package which provides me 550 voice minutes and 2GB (FUP throttled to 384Kb speed at 2GB usage)...more than I need in both voice and data but since I was getting more minutes and data at a lower price in comparison to my current package I definitely had to switch....and like I mentioned...I was able to switch contracts with no questions asked.

I'm also really, really pleased with my S4 although I've only played with it for 3-4 hours in checking out its capability and features....I've got zero to gripe about so far....the 5 inch retina display is awesome. While it initially felt BIG to me in comparison to my 3.8 inch Samsung Ace 2 display, it seem the S4 has shrunk 20% over the last 24 hours as I get use to it...but for a man pants pocket it does pretty much fill up the pocket but I'm quickly getting use to that also. The S4 boots up really fast....much faster...probably three times faster than my Samsung Galaxy Ace 2 (and the Ace 2 boots up as fast as my other friends' smartphones in the mid price range say around B10,000). And my Antutu benchmark score is 28,029 for the S4.

And today when the wife and I visited the MIL out in the province where I could only get Edge speed of around 200Kb (per Speedtest App) on the Ace 2, with the S4 I get H and H+ speed indicators on the phone and a little over 2Mb running Speedtest. The MIL lives back in the sticks several kilometers from a major highway that has plenty of cell phone towers running along it where I could 5Mb plus speeds no problem. So, unless DTAC has upgraded the their towers/transmitters in the MIL's village just over the last month or so since I last checked signal speed on my Ace 2, I guess I would have to say the S4 has better 3G "reception" capability. And I have no gripes about the S4's Wifi reception capability/range.

Another 3G test I'm interested in is on Sathorn Rd in Bangkok (for those who don't know there are many high rise businesses, condos, commercial buildings, embassies, etc., on this main drag). About once a week I will drive the entire length of Sathorn Rd...with my Ace 2 the speed indicator would jump around from E, to 3G, to H indictors with E showing up the majority of the time with some slow Speedtest results....usually 200 to 300Kb...and there were a few times where there were dead spots/no signal of a 100 meters or so. But just as soon as I crossed the river back into western Bangkok/Thonburi area my data speed would jump back up to the H indication/3-5Mb. I've seem numerous other posts of people complaining about 3G reception/speed on Sathorn. Will be interesting how my S4 works in that area...I have a gut feeling its going to work fine due to a better data transmitter/receiver in the phone. And at the writing of this post on a Sunday afternoon over here in my western Bangkok home I got a H+ indicator and get a 3G download speed result of 6.745Mb...I'll run more Speedtests later. On earlier tests from my home using my Ace 2 I would get similar Speedtest results of a little over 8Mb...as mentioned, I'll run my speedtests using my S4 over the coming day, but I expect (hope based on the S4's price) that the S4 has got 3G circuitry that should be better than the circuitry in my mid price Samsung Ace 2...and I have a gut feeling based on the test in my MIL village the S4 works very well with low signal strength 3G signals. Don't get me wrong about my Ace 2 phone...I was very happy with it...good phone....but I got urge to go high end with an S4 as its specs are indeed impressive.

I can't answer the 2100Mhz question yet, but about a week ago I did register for the DTAC Trinet service which would include the 2100Mhz and got back DTAC's little SMS basically saying thanks....standby to stanby...more info to come. I'll register again since I'm now on the new plan just to play it safe.

In closing, before buying the two S4's yesterday and while the wife was buying some groceries in the Tops store, I went up to the DTAC Service Center and played with the S4...then after the wife finished buying the groceries I took her up to the DTAC store so we could both play with the S4 in trying to make our final buying decision. Well, I got confused at the phone display counter and started playing with a Samsung Galaxy Grand which looks almost identical to the S4 and even has a 5 inch display although much lower resolution. When playing with Grand (which I thought was the S4) and showing the wife some stuff I told the wife the phone is operating slower than before and the screen looks less sharp for some reason (still looked good but not a sharp/clear as the S4)....at that time the pretty DTAC sales lady overhead me and said that's the Grand I'm playing with and the S4 was the next phone over. Embarrassed I was a little but just that short period of playing with a Grand and then an S4 finalized my buying decision. Normally, I'm the kind of consumer that will buy the mid-range/priced product like the Grand or Ace 2, but yesterday I decided I would go high end which will hopefully satisfy me smartphone-wise for at least several years since the S4 does cost B21,900 retail.

Is it your impression that the "DTAC Smartphone Best Deal 539" is only available with the purchase of an SGS4? Or do you think that plan is available to any customer?

DTAC do offer this same promotional plan on several other hardware models: Xperia TX, Nokia Lumia 820, LG Optimus 4x HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 2,

Is it your impression that the "DTAC Smartphone Best Deal 539" is only available with the purchase of an SGS4? Or do you think that plan is available to any customer?

DTAC do offer this same promotional plan on several other hardware models: Xperia TX, Nokia Lumia 820, LG Optimus 4x HD, Samsung Galaxy Note 2,

I couldn't say for sure, but from the wife reading a note (in Thai) on a brochure which listed many different plans and phones for sale it says the "Best Deal 539 is available for phones which cost 5000 baht and up" which would be most smartphones now days. However, on the DTAC web page promoting the S4 it lists specific phones the plan could apply to and I couldn't find any note talking about a minimum price for a phone. And like you mentioned DTAC lists the same plan for other manufacturer's phones also.

So, if I had to guess I would guess the plan would only apply to phones you buy directly from DTAC which cost at least 5000 baht and/or specific phones. I guess that would give a customer an incentive to buy directly from DTAC. However, if you walked in with your current phone just looking for a new plan it may not be available to a person. But like I said, I'm guessing.

If I was in the market for a new plan and had decided on a carrier (i.e., DTAC, True, and AIS) I would check both their web site and at a service center/shop, especially since web sites can have dated info. Preaching to the choir I know.

A little more info about the S4 Wifi/3G circuitry. Switching from Wifi to a mobile data connection (and vice versa)--it does the switch and makes a connection seemingly immediately...almost like flipping a light switch. Like when I switch from Wifi to mobile data I see the little arrows under the H+ indicator blinking immediately....with my Ace 2 there was always several seconds lag. And realizing just blinking arrows may not mean a complete connection just yet, when using Speedtest.net if I do a test under Wifi and then turn Wifi off and then press the Speedtest "Restart Test" button just as fast as I can the S4 already has the 3G connection and running the speedtest on the 3G connection. Really fast switching which might come in handy for some VOIP/Messaging type Apps. Just did another Speedtest to a Bangkok server setting here at my dining room table in western Bangkok (real close to the Outer Ring Road) and got a 8.652Mb download & 2.667Mb upload speed result....ping time less than 50ms.

Consumer Reports rates the Samsung S4 the top phone. The previous list-topper was the Optimus G from LG that held Consumer Reports' No. 1 spot for several months. The Optimus G is now ranked as the No. 2 smartphone, followed by the HTC One, the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the Apple iPhone 5. See more info at this Link.

I did not read all 6 pages of post so excuse me if this question has been answered already... are there any package plan deals similiar to the ones posted for folks like me who are forced to use pre-paid? DTAC refuses to give me a monthly plan because I have a retirement visa....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I did not read all 6 pages of post so excuse me if this question has been answered already... are there any package plan deals similiar to the ones posted for folks like me who are forced to use pre-paid? DTAC refuses to give me a monthly plan because I have a retirement visa....

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

A retirement visa is all I have...and my post paid DTAC account is in my name. Sounds kinda like how some bank branches make it hard to sign up for a bank account...but walk down the street to the next branch and no problem. Just be sure to stress the point you live in Thailand full time, have a long term visa, etc.

You should be able to get a post-paid plan with DTAC; I did (one-year, multiple entry non-imm B )

dtac Postpaid

If you are staying in Thailand longer than 90 days, then get a postpaid account. It's never been easier.

dtac postpaid registration is easy

No work permit required to register for dtac postpaid mobile service. With your passport and any credit card (VISA or Master Card), you can get your own postpaid mobile service with monthly invoice.*

dtac has the best selection of basic plans that fits all lifestyles. Click the postpaid menu on the top to see more information

- Manage your service online via our website

- Mobile internet access nationwide

- Quality international calls

- 24-hour English call center support

http://www.dtac.co.th/en/postpaid/services/Long-Stay-Visitors.html

Edited by lomatopo