Australian Falls To His Death From 21St Floor Jomtien Condominium

Rimmer

Australian falls to his death from 21st Floor Jomtien Condominium

australia-3.jpg

PATTAYA:--A 45 year old Australian reportedly fell from a 21st floor apartment in Jomtien early on Tuesday Morning. Police are unsure if he committed suicide or fell due to his alleged intoxicated state.

Police and rescue services were called to the base of View Talay Condominium 5 on Jomtien Beach Road just after 5am. Lying on the ground was the body of Mr. Mark Anthony Woodward. The level of trauma suggested a fall from a high-floor apartment and it was confirmed that Mr. Woodward resided in a 21st floor apartment which was later inspected by Police.
Full story:http://www.pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/85344/australian-falls-death-21st-floor-jomtien-condominium/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2013-04-30

Aussie’s Fatal Fall May Have Been Accident
A 45-year-old Australian fell to his death from the 21st floor of his rented Jomtien condo. Medication for depression was found in his room. But police said he may have lost his balance while standing on a chair to take photos from his balcony.

PATTAYA – April 30, 2013 [PDN]; At 4:30 a.m., a report of a foreign man falling from a building and dying immediately was received by Pol. Lt. Kwanchai Numkhanisorn, investigation police on duty, Pattaya police station, Dongtarn curve sub-branch. The rescue officers of Sawangboribultharmmasatharn Pattaya foundation were dispatched to the scene along with the detective police team.
Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/04/30/aussie%E2%80%99s-fatal-fall-may-have-been-accident/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-04-30

there are too many falls from balconys here in thailand, maybe they should make the railings a little higher !

Stayed in a hotel in Jomtien a few weeks ago. They had added a stainless rail about 10" higher than the existing balcony wall. (Obvious afterthought bolt-on, sturdy but not too pretty) Looked at several hotels around me and they had mostly done something similar. Gotta give them credit for trying.

But some of them had not added the height.

At my apartment in BKK, I was leaning out to look at the ground and realized my center of gravity was way too high for the railing height. Had my feet slipped on wet terrazzo, I would have gone over. Made me a believer that not all balcony falls are deliberate or the work of nefarious forces.

Edited by impulse

But police said he may have lost his balance while standing on a chair to take photos from his balcony. What at 4:30 a.m?

R.I.P. if justice is deserved I hope it comes......

This seems to be a big topic in the UK. There are a lot of alerts to foreigners abroad about the dangers of falling off balconies, but the only thing is that the focus is on teenagers on spring break and children.

The statistics make me wonder at the abnormally large number of foreigners in Pattaya who fall off balconies. They do not mesh with international statistics and by age group.

Some say, make the railings higher. But i cannot see why they need balconies at all on such high buildings. They should be banned, what is their purpose, one can see just as much from a sealed window.

Yes, but you cant sit outside a sealed window

• Like 1

Aussie’s Fatal Fall May Have Been Accident

A 45-year-old Australian fell to his death from the 21st floor of his rented Jomtien condo. Medication for depression was found in his room. But police said he may have lost his balance while standing on a chair to take photos from his balcony.

PATTAYA – April 30, 2013 [PDN]; At 4:30 a.m., a report of a foreign man falling from a building and dying immediately was received by Pol. Lt. Kwanchai Numkhanisorn, investigation police on duty, Pattaya police station, Dongtarn curve sub-branch. The rescue officers of Sawangboribultharmmasatharn Pattaya foundation were dispatched to the scene along with the detective police team.

Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/04/30/aussie%E2%80%99s-fatal-fall-may-have-been-accident/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS 2013-04-30

21st. floor isn't that high. That's why the chair for better view, make sense.

Some say, make the railings higher. But i cannot see why they need balconies at all on such high buildings. They should be banned, what is their purpose, one can see just as much from a sealed window.

Instead, just ban high buildings..Huh??? coffee1.gif

"Police are unsure if he committed suicide or fell due to his alleged intoxicated state." Seriously, these are the only two theories they could think of?

What's your suggestion bearing in mind he returned home alone, and apparently drunk?

Maybe they do have other theories though, they just slipped up by not informing you of them.

But police said he may have lost his balance while standing on a chair to take photos from his balcony. What at 4:30 a.m?

R.I.P. if justice is deserved I hope it comes......

Why not, are there designated photography hours?

Are you reallyy askibng a serious question here?

Have you tried taking a picture at 4.30am from a 20 odd floor condo? Its kinda dark and the camera flash isnt going to do a lot.

there are too many falls from balconys here in thailand, maybe they should make the railings a little higher !

Mate, in most cases these are suicides. They want to jump! Making the railing a bit higher won't change anything. You'd have to put a proper floor-to-ceiling mesh on it, but then there's always roofs, overflies, bridges etc.!

• Like 1

The railings I have seen in VT5 are plenty high enough to protect against most accidental falls/slips by persons of normal hight, but no railing will protect against someone standing on a chair and leaning out. Only a floor-to-ceiling grille would protect against that, and most people would probably prefer not to have that over their view.

I've seen air-con technicians stand on rickety step-ladders or boxes next to the same railings without attaching themselves at all. It's all fine until you slip.

I certainly have no qualms at all about the railings on my balcony, but still I would treat them with the respect they deserve at all times.

Railings in VT buildings are quite high amd it would take a lot of effort to go over. BTW- I like sitting outside on my balcony. Something I can't do at home in the winter. If I want to sit behind windows I can do that in Siberia.