Poll: Foreigners In Thailand: When You're Here, Do You Consider Yourself A "guest" Of Thailand?

Jingthing

The semantics of the word GUEST  

305 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! 11 pages of opinions ranging from brilliant thoughts to plain gibberish! Let me summarize the overall impression.

Guest - I was never invited. I was never welcomed. I am made feeling insecure both by the Gov't, by Legal status, by Rules that can be changed overnight and by Thai Culture different to mine.

Freedom - I am free to the next 90 days. To support my Thai wife. To educate her children. To provide their Social Security otherwise denied them by their Gov't. To buy my own accommodation but maybe not live in it.

I am free to leave, but for a re-entrance Visa. I am free to travel, but for a multiple re-entrance Visa. I am free to label myself here on TV, otherwise I am labeled as Alien. I am free from Medical Care unless I buy it.

Dignity - I am lucky to have my own. But to others I am Farang, which is different from my understanding of a foreigner. This attitude is ingrained in Thai Culture forever, for as long as I live! A foreigner in my country may be considered having different culture or customs. Farang here either accepts Thai Culture and customs or has none. Even illegal immigrants in my country get amnesty after a certain period. Here - Never! And never mind the contributions to local people, economy, education etc. It is not my habit of labeling such attitudes - pick your own.

And yet, I choose to live here. I like living in this country. Checked out Malaysia with its Home Away from Home very friendly policy. Not for me, thanks...

But the fact that I like Thailand does not mean that I have to like the above absurd shameful Farang treatment by their policies. wai2.gif

We like Thailand. Why Thailand doesn't like us? From this viewpoint how we consider ourselves is not as important as how we are considered by Thais!

One advantage of being a Farang is calling a spade - 'spade'.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1

When i visit thailand, i consider myself to be a guest of the family i stay with and as such respect their culture.

But i dont consider myself to be a guest of thailand in general

Yet you have to ask Thailands permission to visit the family you visit? Even if you consider it your family. And you still have to report for 90 days. Sorry, mate...

Rules are rules... but attitudes are not right...

Edited by ABCer

• 4 weeks later...

when I was in China I was described as an alien. that is exactly how I felt ( or maybe that is how they made me feel.)

I have home, wife, kids in Thailand. I don't feel like a 'guest' here.

But I am in their country.