Harsh Judgment Of Thai People

muythai2013

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly not all Thai woman look like supermodels so if you care for looks it will take time to find the right one. Then you add the right personality to the looks and you end up with a near impossible event giggle.gif

Groups of people create their own prejudices, look at Israeli and Russian tourists who are the most annoying in the world. Look at the Dutch wearing rags as if they can't afford better and try to bargain on a 20b songteaw drive just cuz Lonely Planet told them 'you must try to bargain everywhere' (me have seen several of this funny types try to bargain on a songtaew ride, LOL) look at naïve Japanese who are easy victims for street scammers like fake police fining them. There are a lot of prejudices about Thai that are simply true, no need to deny, also no need to think they are all the sam because they aren't. Perhaps if you deal with certain groups, like Pattaya bargirls, Pukeket tuktukdrivers, all kinds op people working with tourists, unskilled workers who build your house, yes then there is a very big chance for repeating experiences, like everywhere on the world.

You complain about generalisations......

Then produce this comment...

"their certainly are a lot of people best avoided"

not at all a generalisation, nice try to pick another thread apart, i'm sure you looked hard for that one, probably resort to a spell check next.

Same are best avoided, by that I am obviously refering to those who are best avoided, but I am not judging all people as one, only those that have proven they are best avoided, not at all a generalisation now is it.

Groups of people create their own prejudices, look at Israeli and Russian tourists who are the most annoying in the world. Look at the Dutch wearing rags as if they can't afford better and try to bargain on a 20b songteaw drive just cuz Lonely Planet told them 'you must try to bargain everywhere' (me have seen several of this funny types try to bargain on a songtaew ride, LOL) look at naïve Japanese who are easy victims for street scammers like fake police fining them. There are a lot of prejudices about Thai that are simply true, no need to deny, also no need to think they are all the sam because they aren't. Perhaps if you deal with certain groups, like Pattaya bargirls, Pukeket tuktukdrivers, all kinds op people working with tourists, unskilled workers who build your house, yes then there is a very big chance for repeating experiences, like everywhere on the world.

so your saying their the same but their not, they are but they are not.

Unfortunately the kinds of people most visitors encounter in the kingdom are on average much lower down the scale of human values than normal Thai people.

This "first impression" factor colors the views of many of us forever after.

Learning the language and associating with a better "class" of Thais - in my case on a moral scale, not social/economic - will certainly improve the reality, but the perception can usually only be changed by conscious work on on our own frame of mind.

Which very few people bother to do, much easier to stick to the default heuristics acquired in the early stages.

But well worth the effort if you're going to stick around for a while and prefer to be surrounded by honest sincere and hardworking people - which the majority of Thais surely are.

I'm afraid I find your comments rather elitist and derogatory towards large proportions of Thais as well as visitors to the kingdom. While you make some valid points, the manner in which you have done so implies that you are elite, mixing with elite Thais, and the rest of us (both Thai and visitor) are merely members of the unwashed masses.

I live in Pattaya/Jomtiem - does that mean I'm mixing with lower "classes" (I hate that word by the way) because of where I live and because of the history of the place? Are you implying that by default, only low class Thais live and work here or is only visited by low class foreigners?

Elitism is in the same league as bigotry, which the OP is pointing out is not a valid point of view for most right thinking people in regard to Thailand and the Thai people.

Sadly not all Thai woman look like supermodels so if you care for looks it will take time to find the right one. Then you add the right personality to the looks and you end up with a near impossible event giggle.gif

why cant an attractive girl have a good personality, I know several girls who do.

would be proud If my daughters grew up to be like them, very nice girls, great personality.

• Like 1

Unfortunately the kinds of people most visitors encounter in the kingdom are on average much lower down the scale of human values than normal Thai people.

Learning the language and associating with a better "class" of Thais - in my case on a moral scale, not social/economic - will certainly improve the reality, but the perception can usually only be changed by conscious work on on our own frame of mind.

Which very few people bother to do, much easier to stick to the default heuristics acquired in the early stages.

But well worth the effort if you're going to stick around for a while and prefer to be surrounded by honest sincere and hardworking people - which the majority of Thais surely are.

I'm afraid I find your comments rather elitist and derogatory towards large proportions of Thais as well as visitors to the kingdom. While you make some valid points, the manner in which you have done so implies that you are elite, mixing with elite Thais, and the rest of us (both Thai and visitor) are merely members of the unwashed masses.

I live in Pattaya/Jomtiem - does that mean I'm mixing with lower "classes" (I hate that word by the way) because of where I live and because of the history of the place? Are you implying that by default, only low class Thais live and work here or is only visited by low class foreigners?

Elitism is in the same league as bigotry, which the OP is pointing out is not a valid point of view for most right thinking people in regard to Thailand and the Thai people.

I agree in parts with the OP..

There are always going to be insecure people that accuse anyone who lives outside the major tourist areas, with nice hardworking and honest Thais, as being elitist.

Living in Pattaya means you are living with a much higher ratio of people looking to relieve you of your money, through whichever means they can. Doesn't mean they are 'lower class', some high class con artists too.

Also, living outside these areas doesn't mean 'high class' just more people doing an honest days work, with a solid upbringing.

Obviously there are always bad apples everywhere but you can decide whether you want to live in the barrel or the orchard (that didn't make sense but I'm sticking with it)

Ok, I'm ready for the backlash... Bring it on

• Like 2

eMISSION Impossible ?

pattaya and jomtien are heavily bashed, I have met people in jomtien who were lovely people.

met good and bad there like everywhere.

Yes it does take time, but if you're limiting yourself to just those two factors - even adding youth to the beauty part - it's actually not difficult.

For affordability you need to look for less experienced country lasses, which of course requires the seeker to have Thai language skills.

Those trying to also add requirements like English language skills, higher levels of education and international-standard general background knowledge - much less the ability to hold a stimulating conversation on abstract topics - are the ones setting themselves up to fail.

The latter traits are certainly available, although not widely, just not in combination with the former ones.

Some even claim to find all the above as well as from a wealthy family not requiring any financial support. Which is of course in theory possible, but I personally am not going to waste my time chasing unicorns.

But yes it does take time, if you don't enjoy the search for its own sake best just to settle for the low-hanging fruit and live with the result.

Edited by PalMan

Whether you like it not there are certain cultural traits in Thailand which, while alien to most foreigners, are par for the course here.

I find those that accept them for what they are and work around them to be far happier and less grumpy than those that can't accept them and carp about them incessantly.

For example, I rarely go into an average Thai eatery and expect the food to arrive in the same order or fashion as I would in the UK, but it doesn't bother me at all.

For some long term Thai expats, its an excuse to launch into a pathetic tirade of Thai (not always fluent), and I laugh my socks off watching such people get themselves all worked up over nothing.

And some people are always banging on about how slowly things happen in Thailand. Take a book and some snacks with you. Getting all peeved about it isn't going to get you anywhere.

• Like 2

not at all a generalisation, nice try to pick another thread apart, i'm sure you looked hard for that one, probably resort to a spell check next.

Same are best avoided, by that I am obviously refering to those who are best avoided, but I am not judging all people as one, only those that have proven they are best avoided, not at all a generalisation now is it.

"A lot of people"........is just about as broad a generalisation/criticism as you can get.....not my fault if you are caught out guilty of the same action you condemn......I also deliberately did not correct your phrase as I just don't do that...but feel free to think I would, if it suits you.......note how you have corrected youself "some are best avoided"......comes across rather softer and not so all encompassing

Seems from reading your post you are trying to convince yourself that your thoughts/observations about Thai,s are correct-your not having any doubts are you whistling.gif

having doubts about your ability to read things as they are written rather then trying to read between the lines when there is nothing there.

"A lot of people"........is just about as broad a generalisation/criticism as you can get.....not my fault if you are caught out guilty of the same action you condemn......I also deliberately did not correct your phrase as I just don't do that...but feel free to think I would, if it suits you.......note how you have corrected youself "some are best avoided"......comes across rather softer and not so all encompassing

really are drawing at straws now.

are you bored, it's a simple post don't complicate it, everyone else seems to understand it.

There are always going to be insecure people that accuse anyone who lives outside the major tourist areas, with nice hardworking and honest Thais, as being elitist.

Living in Pattaya means you are living with a much higher ratio of people looking to relieve you of your money, through whichever means they can. Doesn't mean they are 'lower class', some high class con artists too.

Also, living outside these areas doesn't mean 'high class' just more people doing an honest days work, with a solid upbringing.

Obviously there are always bad apples everywhere but you can decide whether you want to live in the barrel or the orchard (that didn't make sense but I'm sticking with it)

I'd love to counter your argument but unfortunately have to help my wife prepare for a celebratory party at home this evening. Running through the guest list which is 70% Thai, I find myself trying to categorise them as to class - nope, can't do it. They're all hard working honest people who have become good friends and have helped me tremendously. Must be the only 20 or so honest Thais in Pattaya. whistling.gif

I'd love to counter your argument but unfortunately have to help my wife prepare for a celebratory party at home this evening. Running through the guest list which is 70% Thai, I find myself trying to categorise them as to class - nope, can't do it. They're all hard working honest people who have become good friends and have helped me tremendously. Must be the only 20 or so honest Thais in Pattaya. whistling.gif

And as usual you will be called a liar shortly, wait for it.

enjoy the party hope you have a great time.

really are drawing at straws now.

are you bored, it's a simple post don't complicate it, everyone else seems to understand it.

One of the most impressive qualities of Thai people for me is that the majority of them have the ability to know at what point to let things go......smile.png

• Like 1

You are the only one who bought class into this discussion.

No-one else has said anything about all people anywhere being the same, as I never said all Thais in Pattaya were con artists. Lots of Farang stealing your money there too..

Enjoy your party

-

The fact that I used the word "class" in quotes along with "on a moral scale, not social/economic" should have shown that we think the same way on that issue.

I freely admit to being "elitist" in that I prefer to associate with people that are sincere, honest, kind etc in word and deed.

IMO most Thais are such, but in the popular-with-tourist areas Thais, especially those that speak English, have a higher proportion of lying scammers just trying to extract money from the tourists.

Therefore I avoid those areas and those people to increase the odds of my meeting the "better class" which I prefer, (sincere, honest, kind etc in word and deed).

Is that clear enough?

Regarding the correlation of social/economic class and my "elite" criteria, I happen to think that the poor country peasants here are of a much better class (in my sense) than the wealthy city folk.

But that may well be my own prejudice, since I prefer to be the wealthiest person in my community and can't compete with the super-rich Thais.

• Like 1

Just about every well known country in the world has/does have its citizens sterotyped by others. Without posting the specific uncomplentary comments I have heard, I will instead post a few of the countries/nationalities I have heard negative comments directed at.

Poland, Russia. USA, England Scotland, Ireland, German, French, Italy, Greece, India, All southeast asia countries, Japan, Korea, Mexico, Central America countries, Canada, Baltic countries,, Greenland, and least we forget Australia.and this is not an attemprt to recall all of them.

I think many people read way more into off the cuff comments that was not intended, either due to a chip on their own shoulder, or they like to start arguments on Thai Visa.

-

Actually it does make a lot of sense, great metaphor!

I like picking my fruit straight from the tree where it's freshest, not buying it shrink-wrapped in the supermarket, most likely having first been drenched in poisonous chemicals, sitting on the shelf a long time, maybe even rotten to the core no matter how nice it seems on the outside.

Works for me. . .

• Like 1

I have spent time in a slum in Klong toey for a while, was not even room to stretch out, lovely family however.

Have known some nice rich Thais.

Have known good and bad from all walks of life, all i'm saying is judge them by their actions and never pre judge them as though a thai can never be trusted.

That does not mean being foolish with your level of trust but treat them as you would treat anyone.

Still fair to say if you're approaching a popular tourist spot like the Grand Palace, and a friendly-looking well-dressed Thai speaking decent English approaches you offering assistance you're better off looking right through him and keep heading where your feet are pointed not even breaking stride.

What do you think the odds are he's a sincere honest fellow and following his advice will lead you to fairly priced experience in the LoS?

Or getting into a taxi parked outside a place frequented by tourists where the police only allow certain taxis to stop?

Or a tuk-tuk driver with a friend who owns a great jewelry shop?

Some of these generalizations are fair enough, you're very unlikely to miss out on experiencing wonderful relationships with sincere honest Thais by following them. . .

But of course I shouldn't have to say this doesn't reflect on the society as a whole, just different contexts based on collective experience that help us increase the odds of meeting the better "class" of Thais.