Where To Find Quality Expats In Thailand

andrew

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranong has another reputation. It's more lawless than Huayyai (google it).

Hua Hin? All fur coat and no underwear IMHO.

Bangkok? Talented expat managers? Missed that, sorry. Loads of boilermen and farang 'pretties' thinking the are making it large though.

TEFL'ers? Leave 'em alone. They are more to be pitied than scorned after all.

Phuket has it's farang Muay Thai students... those that aren't banged up that is.

We have the OP quoting other people's opinion of Udon Thani and the expats that reside there. Then we have the author of the thread that the OP based his arbitrary classification on saying that he didn't come across much he liked in Udon Thani. He also mentions the Day Night bar complex, also known as 'The Cowshed' to the suave and sophisticated farangs in Udon Thani. These are the guys that DO NOT come in from Nakhon Nowhere on a songtaew to get blootered at The Cowshed or other places along Soi Sampan either. Labeling Udon Thani's typical farang this way is just the same as those that paint all the Pattaya farangs with the same brush.

BTW, I am leaving Udon Thani after 6 years of the good, country life... and moving back to Pattaya. But there's a nice bit of southern Nakhon Ratchasima province called Wangnamkeow. Some call it Thailand's 'Little Switzerland'. I just hope there's no bloody Swiss there!

Leaving Udon Thani for Pattaya,I don't know whether to laugh or cry?sad.png

Sorry to hear you are undecided. We can help.

Here's an easier one for you.

What's your opinion on 'Where to find quality expats in Thailand?'

And just for giggles, where are you presently and why is it so much better?

I must have been lucky...met a few really decent down to earth expats in Thailand.

To all those others I havent met...I would like to meet a couple of "bored, lonely, end of their teather" retired Expats, with engineering background, to help carry on with a project for the "foundation"...any takers????

you can count me in , if you come here to live a good live then shouldnt we try to help some poor unforunate children?

• Like 1

Quality-Expats hang around Golf-Courses and play polo with a rented horse in Pattaya. In Bangkok they own the Golf-Course including the horses. You may want to relocate.

- Thai's consider "Quality-Expats" as people in excess of 15 Million US-Dollars (not Thai-Baht) net worth.

All others are here on an eternal Tourist-VIsa, that have to be Re-Approved on an annual basis.

In the final analysis, you will have to be approved by "Quality-Thai-People in Power" to turn yourself into a "Quality-Expat" as you describe it. They will research your background..

I hope you can qualify as an "Quality-Expat". If not, who cares?

Cheers.

Trust a Swiss to reduce the argument to one about money!

• Like 2

Quality expats?blink.png

You mean shaggable?

Shaggable by you ... or shaggable by me?

We might have different preferences ... biggrin.png

I've always liked the slimmer folk.

Thank you, Thank you, Dave and Jingthing. You have just proved that 'Quality' of any Expat will depend on the a) Valuer; B) Market; c) Supply&demand; etc.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

Where is the big pot that needs stirring? It's always more of the same here... Put down everyone else who doesn't have the same life style as yourself.

It is easy to pick out the dregs of society. They are everywhere and in every country. Who knows what went on in their lives to place them in that situation. All anyone needs to know is how to make your own life happy. For every unhappy loser in Pattaya there are probably 2 or 3 that are enjoying themselves more in Pats than anywhere else they might choose to be. I can't speak for Udon Thani because I've never been there. But, There are lots of places in my home country of Canada that would also bore me silly if I couldn't get out and travel.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifthumbsup.gif

Ranong has another reputation. It's more lawless than Huayyai (google it).

Hua Hin? All fur coat and no underwear IMHO.

Bangkok? Talented expat managers? Missed that, sorry. Loads of boilermen and farang 'pretties' thinking the are making it large though.

TEFL'ers? Leave 'em alone. They are more to be pitied than scorned after all.

Phuket has it's farang Muay Thai students... those that aren't banged up that is.

We have the OP quoting other people's opinion of Udon Thani and the expats that reside there. Then we have the author of the thread that the OP based his arbitrary classification on saying that he didn't come across much he liked in Udon Thani. He also mentions the Day Night bar complex, also known as 'The Cowshed' to the suave and sophisticated farangs in Udon Thani. These are the guys that DO NOT come in from Nakhon Nowhere on a songtaew to get blootered at The Cowshed or other places along Soi Sampan either. Labeling Udon Thani's typical farang this way is just the same as those that paint all the Pattaya farangs with the same brush.

BTW, I am leaving Udon Thani after 6 years of the good, country life... and moving back to Pattaya. But there's a nice bit of southern Nakhon Ratchasima province called Wangnamkeow. Some call it Thailand's 'Little Switzerland'. I just hope there's no bloody Swiss there!

Leaving Udon Thani for Pattaya,I don't know whether to laugh or cry?sad.png

Sorry to hear you are undecided. We can help.

Here's an easier one for you.

What's your opinion on 'Where to find quality expats in Thailand?'

And just for giggles, where are you presently and why is it so much better?

As posted earlier,Chiang Mai and I live in Bangkok but I don't really like the Big Mango much unfortunately!sad.png

Ranong is the wealthiest province in Thailand? That's news to me. I would imagine that most of the wealth in Thailand would be concentrated in Bangkok. Wikipedia says Ranong has the lowest population of any province in Thailand. Is it mainly the super rich that live there?

Read my comments above. I wrote RANONG when actually I meant RAYONG.

This was my mistake and I apologize again for the confusion.

Hmmm, I am living in Pattaya and love it here. I have a masters degree and 5 teaching licenses from Minnesota. Like every place in the world you will find different types of people all with their own stories. I have met many interesting people in Pattaya and have made many new friends. The nice thing about living where I do in Pattaya, I can walk to everything I need and I am close to the beach. Also I'm only a 2 hour and 130 baht bus ride to BKK where I also have friends. The new hospital is just opening in Soi Buakhao which will give us 4 hospitals in the town. Interesting to know I am apparently the bottom of the barrel.

• Like 1

Back home we have specific phrases that easily define if a man is of quality (as judged by his peers, his associates, and the wider community) and worthy of being associated with, or not.

A man of quality, irrespective of wealth, education, status, or job is called a "good bastard" or a "good keen bloke". The opposite to a good bastard or a good keen bloke is a "<deleted>".

Good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads come from all walks of life, are rich or poor, highly educated or left school at 15, went to a private or a public school, and may have a highly paid job or be unemployed.

The same applies in Thailand. The place is full of good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads - regardless of where in the country they live, what they do, how old or rich they are.

" Do you come from a land down under.......? "

• Like 1

Ranong is wealthier than Bangkok, Chonburi and Samut Prakan ? You learn something new everyday.

Hua Hin is mostly full of skint pensioners nursing a pension or skint girly bar owners/pimps , but many would like you to think it's the classiest place in Thailand.

There I've helped your wind up. .

Skint, what does that mean?

Sorry am going to have to agree with the original thought, that Udon expats are the bottom of the barrel. I have been through there many times, and each time that concept is reinforced.. Was in a small bar beer the last time , at the Day and Night bar beer center. There was a farang passed out stone cold in the corner of the bar. A pleasant Thai woman was there with her 1 year old child. When I asked her who the passed out guy was, she said it was her husband.....

Side note: Have also been to Ranong many times, do not recall seeing any Japanese expats in large numbers. Regarding respect for Japanese men, do some research on the comfort women and Unit 731 in China, and tell me if you feel the same way about Japanese men.

Wait, have you confused Ranong and Rayong ? That is a bit of a newcomer mistake.....

Otherside note:: I am doubtful if the Japanese men of Unit 731 retired to Thailand. But it is just possible that there are some retirees from a different nation, who in their younger days napalmed villages full of women and children . . . . who sprayed Agent Orange indiscriminately on village people resulting in foetal abnormalities. All in the course of doing their Duty. We cannot win the future peace by refighting old wars.

(BTW.. it is interesting to note that the members of Unit 731 captured by US forces were not put on trial, whereas those captured by the Russians faced a war-crimes court )

Edited by attento
  • Like 2

It is wrong to judge someone based only on where they live. Almost as wrong as judging someone based on the color of their skin, accent, or choice of drink. How about judging everyone based on how they act and their character?

“As one judge said to another judge: be just. And if you can’t be just, be arbitrary”

― William S. Burroughs

Back home we have specific phrases that easily define if a man is of quality (as judged by his peers, his associates, and the wider community) and worthy of being associated with, or not.

A man of quality, irrespective of wealth, education, status, or job is called a "good bastard" or a "good keen bloke". The opposite to a good bastard or a good keen bloke is a "<deleted>".

Good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads come from all walks of life, are rich or poor, highly educated or left school at 15, went to a private or a public school, and may have a highly paid job or be unemployed.

The same applies in Thailand. The place is full of good bastards, good keen blokes, and dickheads - regardless of where in the country they live, what they do, how old or rich they are.

Good aussie quotes

I don't get this superficial judging of people by where they live here in LOS. Gees, what's next the color of their skin? Their religion? I thought the remark about the expats in Udon based on a couple of days hanging around bars was particularly ignorant and it now grows into a bigger post. I guess I just don't judge like some do. I think I could be happy anywhere here. I live in Phuket and have hundreds of acquaintances and a few friends and for the most part I like everybody. I think most places are like this in LOS. Well...except for Pattaya.

• Like 2

"...and Japanese expat managers rule. I have immense respect for the Japanese. Here in Thailand, there is no such thing as Japanese scum."

Except that in Japanese culture, after mummy and daddy have made little babies, they then sleep in separate rooms and never have sex EVER again, because that would be too shocking for the whole community and the family to imagine (they think like children evidently)

So while mummy goes slowly crazy in quiet desperation at home, daddy goes off to get wasted on whisky at bars where they get to shine torches in the dark at ladies private parts. Then when they come for their 1 week "business break" in Thailand, they literally have to be pulled off the prostitutes as they proceed to beat the living shit out of them for all those years of pent up sexual frustration and rage.

Here in Thailand, there is no such thing as Japanese scum." - he said, puffing on his cigar on the golf course... puff puff puff... puff puff puff....

• Like 1

I don't know what the big deal is. As someone pointed out I don't believe the OP who, while stating he is a millionaire also stated he took a bus to Udon. Right. I always charter a private jet to take me, and wait for me until I'm ready to return. cheesy.gif

What's the big deal about quality of expats? All I need is a couple of good friends and we let the rest of the world go by. That's the same in my home country except being longer I have more friends.

There are nice people everywhere, and axxholes mixed in with all upper class pretenders.

Your country is long?

Is it Chile?

Can remember many years ago Ted Moult being asked on TV, BBC,

What is your definition of a gentleman.

His reply was classic.

A man who gets out of the bath to use the toilet.

Ask your friends.!!!!!

Tried to add this to my last post but edit and search seem to be a bit wonky at the moment

• Like 1