How's Your Ipstar ?

Gary A

Just applied for a phone line with TOT for ADSL in Maprachan, Pattaya.

TOT has not enough lines in the area and they highly recommended IP Star as an alternative. I told that TOT guy that I read a lot about it on the internet and as it seems it is by far not as good as he just told me.

He was a bit buffled about me knowing more than I'm supposed to (informed customers are really a pain in the lower neck...) and admitted to problems in March and September when they reposition the sattelite. Also clouds can impair the connection.

Good to have you guys! :o

SNIP

sattelite. Also clouds can impair the connection.

Yep I would have thought so as well but I have had my system working a treat in driving rain and thunderclouds over the house, conversly sometimes when the sun comes out it goes to sleep. Don't ask, I haven't a clue! It must be just another of those strange things to do with living in Thailand. :D

Well these are my latest figures for IPSTAR express 2

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...79entry709079

It seems to me that the main downtime:-

Is not bad weather I've seen it continue running in heavy rain and wind.

Is not the satellite modem, if it is sufficiently cooled, I fixed this a couple of months ago although it does seem to be rather fragile.

The remaining issue which does cause the huge downtimes appears to be downtime at the

IPSTAR/CSLOXINFO facilities if these be environmental or, as I suspect from timing, inept and blundering maintenance.

As to repositioning the satellite I don't know as there is never a mail sent with any explanation of downtime.

I'm using IPSTAR because I have no other good choice, it is expensive and for a premium price provides a subpremium service.

Mine is the best it has been for the past couple of months. That means it is working more often than not. Before it was down more than up. It is still a FAR cry from being as advertised. I would normally say it stinks but now it just has an unpleasant odor.

Just applied for a phone line with TOT for ADSL in Maprachan, Pattaya.

TOT has not enough lines in the area and they highly recommended IP Star as an alternative. I told that TOT guy that I read a lot about it on the internet and as it seems it is by far not as good as he just told me.

He was a bit buffled about me knowing more than I'm supposed to (informed customers are really a pain in the lower neck...) and admitted to problems in March and September when they reposition the sattelite. Also clouds can impair the connection.

Just as an aside, I also applied at TOT and TT&T for land lines in the Mabprachan area last year. To cut a long story short ( and has been recounted elsewhere on this forum) TOT were no go at all, but I managed to get a TT& T line from another subscriber nearby, but when the engineer came to install, he also offered me a brand new line at a fraction of the price I had paid to 'buy' the first one. I am now the proud owner of two lines. So I think you have more chance with TT&T than TOT, but you have to find a way through to the 'right' people.

Although I can't use the lines for ADSL as I'm too far out, I can use them for dial up, which is often as good as Ipstar. I'm hoping that eventually I'll be able to use the land lines for ADSL.

In the meantime, Gary A and Rimmer, my Ipstar has been much better of late, but still has an annoying habit of crashing when I least expect it. :D

BTW, nothing to do with clouds, rain, thunder, passing pigeons, dogs barking or the wife heaving rocks at the dish. It just crashes when it feels like it. :D

Better now than it has been for a long while :o It still goes to sleep occasionaly but I think that is a bandwidth bottleneck, don't think it's the feed out of Thailand because the GF can be logged on to her Thai Newspaper (she likes to check the winning numbers) and it will go to sleep at the same as my feed to BBC or Thaivisa.com (which I think are both overseas sites)

As a matter of interest I just got a credit note for 418 baht for the black week last month when nothing worked. Don't think that even covered the cost of my blood pressure tabs but it's a gesture.