The Word 'farang"

george

Is it derogatory to be called "farang"?  

129 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get the impression that they call us farang like we call them Asian. Obviously we wouldnt call a friend we knew by name "Asian".... i think thats how it works... if they know you they will call you by name... if not... they might refer to you as farang like we refer to an Asian.... anyone agree???

The term farang being derogatory or racist?

You are looking to far ...

80 percent of the thais have no idea about the concept of racism.

Nor do they have an idea of respectfull distance in certain places. (banks for example)

Nor do they have an idea about cutting in lines in front of other people is being unpolite.

They totally have no idea of respect for others in this sense, no idea that they might hurt the feelings of other people when they say stuff like farang.

Most asian have this property.

I recently watched a talk show on Hongkong TV " why are chinese so unrespectfull"

they talked about spitting, blowing your nose in your hands , standing in the full subway with newspapers , ect..; in short no respect for others...

How many times have you gotten out of an elevator in thailand without some people outside trying to get in first ???

I'm 120 kg so after a while i just decided to WALK OVER THEM when i get out if they come near me.

Suddennly you get e very schocked thai realizing that maybe his actions weren't the best idea !!

So don't start thinking to much in western principles. They just don't know the difference.

For them it's just another word.

B

Agree 100% !!

How about " see-dar" as opposed to farang , both are names for the Guava , white meat inside instead of the African fruit with red meat.

Had a few kids pointing and shouting this at me in Dan aramit funfair in Bkk , when my half Thai/Uk son popped out they changed it to "Look Krung".

I applauded them on their powers of observation , they lost interest when wifey flung a few "Bok Hah mong alai 's" their way.....bless her :o

My wife has been calling me farang kenoke for years, but never in front of anyone.

her way of being funny.

but she told me that it is not nice and I should not use it, as I have a habit of repeating her .

her explaination

farang kenoke hok bia salung

white as bird sh*t 6 for a penny

Thai humor!

As always you were correct in your synopsis Doc , I have a small mouse underneath my left eye as a result. Yes she misheard me and insisted on buying a pet rodent for my face.....hic......daytime drinking? :D

Domestic violence huh. There should be a law against it. :o

As always you were correct in your synopsis Doc , I have a small mouse underneath my left eye as a result. Yes she misheard me and insisted on buying a pet rodent for my face.....hic......daytime drinking?  :D

Yeah, it's called "celibacy". :D

As always you were correct in your synopsis Doc , I have a small mouse underneath my left eye as a result. Yes she misheard me and insisted on buying a pet rodent for my face.....hic......daytime drinking?   :D

It sounds rather like a disease doesn't it ?

As always you were correct in your synopsis Doc , I have a small mouse underneath my left eye as a result. Yes she misheard me and insisted on buying a pet rodent for my face.....hic......daytime drinking?   :D

Yes it does - but those afflicted aren't complaining! :D

Are you a Catholic priest Mega ?

A eunuch perchance? :D

Yes and I'm ready to hear your confessions!

A eunuch  perchance? :D

If I say I'm not, would you still be my friend CB? :D

I don't mind if you won't let me join your club, but let's be friends at least!

:o

Absolutley Mega ! The good news is that the operation is reversable ( according to Mrvietnam2001)....... :D