Thai Immigration Police foil Colombian gang of thieves

webfact

Police foil Colombian gang of thieves
The Nation

30208655-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- Immigration Police yesterday announced the arrest of four Colombian nationals for burglary, and a Chinese man in a separate case of fraud.

Immigrant police commander Pol Lt-Gen Panu Kerdlappol said that two Colombian men were alleged gang leader John Jairo Escobar Alonso, 44, and Omar Rodolfo Rodrigez Colorado, 45, while the two Colombian women arrested with the men, were Marisol Forero Guarin, 41, and Gloria Esperanza Ruano Az Urdia, 38.

They were arrested at an apartment parking lot in Bangkok's Chatuchak district on Monday, along with stolen valuables, three fake passports with fake tourist visas, a cell phone signal-scrambling device and some burglary tools.

Police investigators also discovered that the gang entered Thailand via Satun in southern Thailand. They are accused of breaking into residential properties in Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom.

The gang was charged with passport forgery, using fake passports and fake immigration visa stamps.

In a separate case, Immigration Police arrested Chinese man Liu Benyue, 55, on Tuesday at Phuket International Airport.

Wanted for fraud by Chinese authorities, Liu is accused of setting up a clothing company to import cheap clothing products from Cambodia and then failing to deliver the goods to customers. He is thought to have swindled customers out of approximately Bt30 million.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-06-20

They are accused of breaking into residential properties in Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom.

The gang was charged with passport forgery, using fake passports and fake immigration visa stamps.

At one stage does one become charged with a crime after you're accused of it?

I'm always suprised that more Hispanics, folks from Latin American countries, don't vist/live in Thailand. If its personal disposable income, it sure doesn't stop the Nigerians smile.png

Probably the same reason they don't have a lot of Cambodian and Burmese maids in Guatemala and Belize.

What's Thailand got that they can't find within an hour or three airplane flight?

What were the normal police doing all this time.

Why does it need immigration police to solve this/

I know a prominent businessman in Chiang Mai that only ever calls the Immigration Police when he has a problem. He has the same disdain for the regular police that many of us have.

• Like 1

Hi. Probably immigration had a tip off from Columbian officials so they take over same in a number of countries if something iffy about entry ect immigration over rules police but the police assist them.

• Like 1

Do they come to Thailand/Malaysia as coke mules and then need to find a new source of income when they've spent their delivery payment, or do they actually come here to burgle ?

Would imagine it would be different CV's for smuggling and burglary, could be wrong about that though.....................tongue.png

Definitely different job descriptions............wink.png

Somehow doesn´t hold water to me. Apart from the question whether there is there enough to burglar to make a living, burglary is a specific trade with rules such that you basically will have to stay in your own country, or at least in an environment where you are inconspicous. After you burglar things, you have to basically sell them, and for this you will need access to a dealer network. I cannot imagine these four having that. A Russian in Pattaya is relatively inconspicous, but four colombians...? There must be something else...

• Like 1

Somehow doesn´t hold water to me. Apart from the question whether there is there enough to burglar to make a living, burglary is a specific trade with rules such that you basically will have to stay in your own country, or at least in an environment where you are inconspicous. After you burglar things, you have to basically sell them, and for this you will need access to a dealer network. I cannot imagine these four having that. A Russian in Pattaya is relatively inconspicous, but four colombians...? There must be something else...

freud said once .....sometimes a cigar is just a cigar ......take it for what it is ...a gang of crims from sth america branching out .....and good that they got caught ......

• Like 1

Dealer network ……. errrmmmmm…. you never noticed all the phone shops, com shops etc, selling used goods ? coffee1.gif

• Like 1

This isn't the first time South American burglary gangs have been busted here. Several years ago both a Colombian gang and a Salvadorian gang were arrested in Pattaya doing the same thing...breaking into upscale homes and taking everything in sight. The Colombians actually had a warehouse where they stored the booty and had already made arrangements for a container to ship it all back.

Apparently, most luxury and electronic retail goods are so heavily taxed in S.A. that there is a thriving black market for used items. It's worth their while to come to countries like Thailand that have soft law enforcement and lax controls on shipping.

• Like 1

Somehow doesn´t hold water to me. Apart from the question whether there is there enough to burglar to make a living, burglary is a specific trade with rules such that you basically will have to stay in your own country, or at least in an environment where you are inconspicuous. After you burglar things, you have to basically sell them, and for this you will need to a dealer network. I cannot imagine these four having that. A Russian in Pattaya is relatively inconspicous, but four colombians...? There must be something else...

Very strange indeed. Didn't enter Thailand through the normal tourist way. They are up to something much more sinister. This needs to be investigated more thoroughly. I bet the DEA and FBI would be very interested in talking to this gang.

a Cell Phone Signal Scrambling Device !!! Guess these Guys are no beginners, usually those devices are used by big Drug Dealers and obviously prof. Burglars

More than likely it was just a frequency scanner.

Edited by KRS1

Note to immigration police - stop all south Americans and nigerians at the borders and let every European and north American into Sliam without delay, including the pedophiles,vagrants that overstay by years, the ones wanted by Interpol, the meth manufacturers, the ex convicts and so on.

Four colombians arrested at a car park and the racially superior and folks from all the best lands are all out to protect Thailand.

When the Thais do this, they whine unending.

I'm always suprised that more Hispanics, folks from Latin American countries, don't vist/live in Thailand. If its personal disposable income, it sure doesn't stop the Nigerians smile.png

The average wage for most latins living in Central and South America is roughly the same as in SEA. Meaning, most latins don't have the $$$ to travel abroad, unless it is for work or they are wealthy.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't the first time South American burglary gangs have been busted here. Several years ago both a Colombian gang and a Salvadorian gang were arrested in Pattaya doing the same thing...breaking into upscale homes and taking everything in sight. The Colombians actually had a warehouse where they stored the booty and had already made arrangements for a container to ship it all back.

Apparently, most luxury and electronic retail goods are so heavily taxed in S.A. that there is a thriving black market for used items. It's worth their while to come to countries like Thailand that have soft law enforcement and lax controls on shipping.

In Europe we have the same problems with gangs from Chile, Colombia and other South Americans. They come and burglar houses and when they have enough to fill a container they ship it back home. This is a small problem though compared to the

pickpocketers that graduate from their p.p. universitys. Especially colombians are famous for that. A wealthy sponsor sends them abroad for a big cut of their earnings.

They are accused of breaking into residential properties in Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani and Nakhon Pathom.

At one stage does one become charged with a crime after you're accused of it?

When evidence has been collected, such as admissions of guilt, fingerprints, dna, officially IDed from witnesses etc.

Immigrants with fake passports and fake visa stamps.