One of those "I don't believe it" moments.

thaibeachlovers

Was passing through Mae Rim and the traffic was horrendeous. Came up to a gap in the median for turns into a road on the right, and it had a sign banning U turns. However, a truck driver was doing a U turn, and right next to him was a policeman that completely ignored him!!!!!!!

To say I was boggled would be an understatement.

Typical farang baa. You think it's the police's job in Thailand to just enforce the law when it doesn't benefit them personally? Been here long?

Maybe he knew the driver or the company.

Maybe he was on his way somewhere, better things to do.

Maybe he knew at that time a Uturn at that location wasn't actually dangerous, using common sense as per the quote above - although I admit that's unlikely.

Anything is possible, but unlikeliest of all here is a public official actually working for the public interest.

Edited by boosta

Typical farang baa. You think it's the police's job in Thailand to just enforce the law when it doesn't benefit them personally? Been here long?

Maybe he knew the driver or the company.

Maybe he was on his way somewhere, better things to do.

Maybe he knew at that time a Uturn at that location wasn't actually dangerous, using common sense as per the quote above - although I admit that's unlikely.

Anything is possible, but unlikeliest of all here is a public official actually working for the public interest.

If you read my OP, I mentioned the traffic was horrendeous ( nose to tail in all 4 lanes ). To make it worse, the median is only 2 feet wide, so the truck was blocking traffic in the inside lanes in both directions.

Agree with your last sentence.

OK ... I don't know where everyone lives however ...

The Farm where I live when I'm in Thailand is not far from Old Sukhumvit Road.

It's 6 lanes wide with a meridian strip, sometimes a drainage strip between the two sets of flowing traffic.

post-104736-0-82488800-1371715373_thumb.

It is quite common to see a Coach/Bus start in the middle lane on the left and then progress to complete a U-Turn across 4 or 5 lanes, depending on the turning circle of the vehicle.

Everyone stops or slows and allows what needs to be done.

Such is driving in Thailand .. like it or not.

I don't think it's better or worse* then where I live in the West.

Driving in Thailand is what it is.

*Ok ... maybe we could show them a thing or two ... but they'd never listen, hence I'm not about to bust my balls in a vain attempt to education ... except the pretties ... biggrin.png

• Like 2

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." - Douglas Bader

I would expect such drivel from a politician and pioneer of the OIL industry.......
-

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Edited by boosta

Actually I enjoy their lack of enforcement (on some things, not all). The West is over regulated and over policed in my opinion. I agree with a very busy road it could be different but in reality the guy was doing what many others wished they could do. Does it make your blood boil, yes, until it is you who needs to make a sudden u-turn on a busy street in front of the police and wham-o not only do you not get a ticket he stops traffic for you to go.

Most road rules are just guidelines for those that are not capable of making a decision....for the rest of us, freedom!

Actually I enjoy their lack of enforcement (on some things, not all). The West is over regulated and over policed in my opinion. I agree with a very busy road it could be different but in reality the guy was doing what many others wished they could do. Does it make your blood boil, yes, until it is you who needs to make a sudden u-turn on a busy street in front of the police and wham-o not only do you not get a ticket he stops traffic for you to go.

Most road rules are just guidelines for those that are not capable of making a decision....for the rest of us, freedom!

-

My theory is the main purpose for laws in Thailand is to make sure that everyone's always breaking some of them so the BiB and other "public servants" don't have to work too hard to extract their pounds of flesh when they need pocket money.

I totally disagree, Thailand could be a much better place if some rules were enforced. Road congestion and deaths would be way down. Freedom is nice as long as your not bothering others and that is clearly not the case on the road the idiots don't only kill themselves but take others with them. The idiots also block traffic for others and make it a total mess.

I agree about the police not caring in many cases as there is nothing in it for them, that is part of the problem.

As for the west being over regulated, I do agree but Thailand is under regulated somewhere in the middle would be nice.

• Like 1

"Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." - Douglas Bader

I would expect such drivel from a politician and pioneer of the OIL industry.......
-

He who has the gold makes the rules.

Until it is taken from him and his head is put on a stake; just ask Robespierrethumbsup.gif

I can't quite work this comment out,do you actually know who Douglas Bader was,the war hero?

It seems to me it's very refreshing not to have some jobsworth civil servant muppet standing by waiting to jump on any wrongdoing whatsoever quoting a ridiculous rule book,remembering the US of A has something like 90,000 pages of laws on their statute.meaning at any one time everyone is breaking the law in some way!

I can't quite work this comment out,do you actually know who Douglas Bader was,the war hero?

Yes, he lost his legs in the war;because he was shot by his own men. When he returned, he dedicated his life to politics and oil.

Edited by Kilgore Trout

Yes, he lost his legs in the war;because he was shot by his own men. When he returned, he dedicated his life to politics and oil.

Classic touché ccomeback. clap2.gif

We see this all the time here in Pattaya. The bus companies, baht buses, scooter taxis, etc, are all protected and won't be stopped by the police. Corruption at it's worst.

-

Actually police, local government closely involved and complicit, it's all interconnected mafias working together.