After 22years Big Bill says good-bye to Patong&Phuket

TheWizardofRnR

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ Colonel_Mustard

There are many factors, I'll name just a few.

Since 2008, the Global Financial Crisis, many retirees took a big hit to their pensions. Since then, the British Pound, Euro and US Dollar are all down, and the the baht has become stronger. These are facts.

Now, for my speculation. As "money go down - put price up" comes into play on Phuket, which already has the highest prices in Thailand, I can see how the rising cost of living, and the shrinking pensions and currencies, will start to knock a few off the island.

So, while some will leave because they are fed up with the place, others will have to leave, as they can no longer afford to stay here and maintain the lifestyle they have become a custom to. They will move to a similar place, Eg. Pattaya - where they can maintain a similar lifestyle at more affordable prices.

Not only is Phuket outpricing itself in the tourist market, but also for expats.

@ Colonel_Mustard

Since 2008, the Global Financial Crisis, many retirees took a big hit to their pensions. Since then, the British Pound, Euro and US Dollar are all down, and the the baht has become stronger. These are facts.

Now, for my speculation. As "money go down - put price up" comes into play on Phuket, which already has the highest prices in Thailand, I can see how the rising cost of living, and the shrinking pensions and currencies, will start to knock a few off the island.

So, while some will leave because they are fed up with the place, others will have to leave, as they can no longer afford to stay here and maintain the lifestyle they have become a custom to. They will move to a similar place, Eg. Pattaya - where they can maintain a similar lifestyle at more affordable prices.

Not only is Phuket outpricing itself in the tourist market, but also for expats.

Ok I get it now thanks.

The few expats I know who have left, or are planning on leaving, are doing so primarily because they can't really afford to stay here. Some go, others come. Some get disaffected with the place, while others prefer it now to before. I have no idea on total number of resident expats but the numbers of kids in the international schools I know seem to increase year on year.

I'm also not really sure that Phuket is outpricing itself for tourists. The tourist numbers would appear to go up still each year (though with a different demographic). It probably is outpricing the budget traveller but that seems to be TAT policy anyway.

The beauty of Thailand is that you have the choice. Right now for me Phuket still remains the best option. When it no longer does, I'll move elsewhere.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

How on earth did you stick it in that dump for so long, only Pattaya is worse. Anywhere other than these two places has to be a move in the right direction. Went once in 1998 never again, just a rip off all around.

How on earth did you stick it in that dump for so long, only Pattaya is worse. Anywhere other than these two places has to be a move in the right direction. Went once in 1998 never again, just a rip off all around.

Thanks for sharing your wisdom gleaned from 1 trip 15 years ago.

For the benefit of those thinking of leaving, perhaps you could share with us the name of the wonderful paradise that you have found.

@ Colonel_Mustard

Ok I get it now thanks.

The few expats I know who have left, or are planning on leaving, are doing so primarily because they can't really afford to stay here. Some go, others come. Some get disaffected with the place, while others prefer it now to before. I have no idea on total number of resident expats but the numbers of kids in the international schools I know seem to increase year on year.

I'm also not really sure that Phuket is outpricing itself for tourists. The tourist numbers would appear to go up still each year (though with a different demographic). It probably is outpricing the budget traveller but that seems to be TAT policy anyway.

The beauty of Thailand is that you have the choice. Right now for me Phuket still remains the best option. When it no longer does, I'll move elsewhere.

If the tourist numbers have actually gone up, as the TAT proclaims, the numbers come from Chinese and Russians.

When's the last time, if ever, you have been along side a Chinese or Russian tourist in a bar, cafe or restaurant? I've seen plenty in 7/11, Family Mart and Big C.

So, while the tourist numbers are up, businesses are hurting, and the local economy is suffering.

The tourists Phuket once attracted, have now shunned the place, due to Phuket becoming disfunctional for the tourist, and it outpricing itself, and, in my opinion, the "influential people" are starting to feel it in the pocket, and in the monthly envelopes.

If you posted about this a few years ago, you were branded a "dooms dayer." Yet, here we are. It's happening now.

The question is, just how low will the "influential people" allow Phuket to slide, because, in my opinion, the local economy is heading for a recession.

There is nothing to blame this year. No Tsunami, Bangkok Floods, Yellow shirt protests, Red shirt protests, Bird Flu, Swine Flu etc etc.

• Like 1

Thanks for sharing your wisdom gleaned from 1 trip 15 years ago.

For the benefit of those thinking of leaving, perhaps you could share with us the name of the wonderful paradise that you have found.

+1

@NKM

I believe you are correct that some businesses are hurting but where I differ is that I believe others are booming. The change in demographic to Russian and Chinese tourists has probably hit the typical Western hang outs in Patong/Kata/Karon but other businesses catering to those nationalities are doing extremely well.

I might be wrong but I suspect the average Russian spends as much in Phuket as did the average Brit/Aussie/American, they just spend it on different products in different places. Same with the Korean tourists.

I see no signs of an imminent recession here but if it would wake up the powers that be into tackling some of the island's problems, then that might not be such a bad thing.

Hey Bill, I bet your surprised to find out that there where this many people around who remember you! Too bad they never came to eat at your deli? A great Deli will be missing from Patong

Well , Im surprised at the number of views , and a few old timers and guys I knew at Derby King when I was in BKK! Yes , a real shame, that People who always are lookin' for places to eat wouldn't come because"we don't go to Patong much anymore" and as I wrote in earlier post , that was a poor excuse to miss what we were cookin' up. So , they can enjoy Subway now.....excuse me while I barf!

I always said at BBD we didn't BS the customer with fancy breads , we went with quality and quite tasty meats . Our Turkados , Rubens ,Pastrami ,Veal Parm Heros and Philly Cheese Steaks were as spot on as if I was back in NYC ....I mean it was so much better then the Derby King days! And people loved the DB !

@NKM

I believe you are correct that some businesses are hurting but where I differ is that I believe others are booming. The change in demographic to Russian and Chinese tourists has probably hit the typical Western hang outs in Patong/Kata/Karon but other businesses catering to those nationalities are doing extremely well.

I might be wrong but I suspect the average Russian spends as much in Phuket as did the average Brit/Aussie/American, they just spend it on different products in different places. Same with the Korean tourists.

I see no signs of an imminent recession here but if it would wake up the powers that be into tackling some of the island's problems, then that might not be such a bad thing.

I would be happy to hear where the Chinese and Russians are spending their money on Phuket and what businesses are booming.

@NKM

I would be happy to hear where the Chinese and Russians are spending their money on Phuket and what businesses are booming.

Drive past the large jewellery shop on the bypass road and count the tour busses. Never seen as many before as in the last couple of years. Hotels and restaurants in the North West of the island are full of Russians and Koreans. Tour companies that offer the day trips. Go to Central and you'll see loads of them in the restaurants and walking around with plenty of shopping bags. Fantasea, Siam Niramit etc. Plenty are doing fine out of the Russians especially.

Some are buying real estate and quite a few are now becoming expats too. The number of Russian kids in Phuket's international schools is growing quite quickly. Judging from the numbers of Chinese/Koreans we get stuck behind every round, I'm guessing Blue Canton and the other golf courses are doing just fine too smile.png

There has obviously been a significant drop in Western tourists but I personally believe that has far more to do with the economies in their own country than it does with them being our priced/put off Phuket. It'll be interesting to see when their economies recover whether they'll start coming back in greater numbers again or not.

Hey Bill, I bet your surprised to find out that there where this many people around who remember you! Too bad they never came to eat at your deli? A great Deli will be missing from Patong

Well , Im surprised at the number of views , and a few old timers and guys I knew at Derby King when I was in BKK! Yes , a real shame, that People who always are lookin' for places to eat wouldn't come because"we don't go to Patong much anymore" and as I wrote in earlier post , that was a poor excuse to miss what we were cookin' up. So , they can enjoy Subway now.....excuse me while I barf!

I always said at BBD we didn't BS the customer with fancy breads , we went with quality and quite tasty meats . Our Turkados , Rubens ,Pastrami ,Veal Parm Heros and Philly Cheese Steaks were as spot on as if I was back in NYC ....I mean it was so much better then the Derby King days! And people loved the DB !

Sorry Bill, but as I said I moved from Patong eight years ago and really have no reason to go there again. I just don't like the place! I will rarely even drive to Kata. But I will drive to Prompan and Phuket Town when I need to for certain items. I don't think I would ever drive to Patong for a sandwich from Rawai. Yet I am one of the few Americans still around left around here. Good thing I know how to cook! Best wishes~ Maybe you should just move down to Rawai!

Sorry Bill, but as I said I moved from Patong eight years ago and really have no reason to go there again. I just don't like the place! I will rarely even drive to Kata. But I will drive to Prompan and Phuket Town when I need to for certain items. I don't think I would ever drive to Patong for a sandwich from Rawai. Yet I am one of the few Americans still around left around here. Good thing I know how to cook! Best wishes~ Maybe you should just move down to Rawai!

Believe me , I wanted to find a place , house or shophouse 10k or less , I haven't been to Rawaii since 1985 , when it didn't look a think like today. I stayed at Phuket Island Resort....which is now time share? I never saw a beach with that many flies , I hadn't seen that many flies except around a horses ass I remarked to a friend swatting a fly ! My friend asks

"are u callin me a horse's assBB? I said no I'm not , but you can't fool them flies !

So , any body reading this knows of a place in Phuket at 10k or less , Flower will go look, but can't do Deli again unless find a working partner.I believe our Pickles and Frozen foods would sell great at Villa Markets , I knew the Boss in my Bkk era days but always missed him in Phuket VM. I really believe it would work in Pattaya well and so do some friends but needed a investor to move and improve.Was impossible to find good or even ok help , 2 bad ones 1gone in 2 days ,1 lasted 2 weeks and third was Burmese who was great til she got offered double our salary she got! Now ladies here only come to work in bars to find husbands , just like back home,in a way? At one time I had enuff money to do it without a partner but 3 hospital admittance's wiped that possibility out! So , never found 200,000 to move the Deli out of Patong, but then people would use that that was too far. A guy I thought was my Bro , who I started the Breakfast Club at The Expat Hotel Bar & Rest.many years back , he never came in once and he only lived in Kathu . Go figure!

Believe me , I wanted to find a place , house or shophouse 10k or less , I haven't been to Rawaii since 1985 , when it didn't look a think like today. I stayed at Phuket Island Resort....which is now time share? I never saw a beach with that many flies , I hadn't seen that many flies except around a horses ass I remarked to a friend swatting a fly ! My friend asks

"are u callin me a horse's assBB? I said no I'm not , but you can't fool them flies !

So , any body reading this knows of a place in Phuket at 10k or less , Flower will go look, but can't do Deli again unless find a working partner.I believe our Pickles and Frozen foods would sell great at Villa Markets , I knew the Boss in my Bkk era days but always missed him in Phuket VM. I really believe it would work in Pattaya well and so do some friends but needed a investor to move and improve.Was impossible to find good or even ok help , 2 bad ones 1gone in 2 days ,1 lasted 2 weeks and third was Burmese who was great til she got offered double our salary she got! Now ladies here only come to work in bars to find husbands , just like back home,in a way? At one time I had enuff money to do it without a partner but 3 hospital admittance's wiped that possibility out! So , never found 200,000 to move the Deli out of Patong, but then people would use that that was too far. A guy I thought was my Bro , who I started the Breakfast Club at The Expat Hotel Bar & Rest.many years back , he never came in once and he only lived in Kathu . Go figure!

so I take it from there, you don't want to leave and you are still inspired to stay. Disappointed yes, underrated yes but you have learned that the hard way. Can you find a place to live stay and run biz by yourself?

Just a handful of cash you need or what's the point. Easy motto - show what you can and people will find you. Same same and no difference.

I know of a house in your price range, but it would not suit your needs as it has too many stairs. There may be others around, but I haven't been looking. But there may be some places available around, especially at this time of year. And as you know and I have learned; health is our only real wealth... Take care and again. I wish you all the best wherever you choose to live!

Looks like most of you guys have been here quiet a long time. I arrived in Phuket in April 2006 so even being here 7 years I'm more or less a newbie compared to most. After spending 4 great years in Phuket (Kata/Karon) we decided that cost of living was getting out of hand along with a slowly accelerating crime rate and we also wanted to buy some land and build a home and with the land prices in Phuket (for us) it was not possible. Have visited Pattaya didn't think as nice as Phuket. We jumped on our Phantom and started driving towards Bangkok checking out all the places in between. We found the Cha Am Hua Hin area the best for cost of living land prices Farang community and a very nice beach. We bought a small bit of land built (local man who built home did a fantastic job cheaply) our very nice 1650 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath home for 1 million baht. We settled in Tha Yang area 40K north of Cha Am 65K north of Hua Hin.

I would suggest to anyone seriously thinking of leaving Phuket but remaining in Thailand to spend a few days in Cha Am/Hua Hin area. Where ever you go, good luck

That's exactly where I'm looking right now ..

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Cha Am is the one place I would and still am considering moving too, it has awesome fishing!!

Looks like most of you guys have been here quiet a long time. I arrived in Phuket in April 2006 so even being here 7 years I'm more or less a newbie compared to most. After spending 4 great years in Phuket (Kata/Karon) we decided that cost of living was getting out of hand along with a slowly accelerating crime rate and we also wanted to buy some land and build a home and with the land prices in Phuket (for us) it was not possible. Have visited Pattaya didn't think as nice as Phuket. We jumped on our Phantom and started driving towards Bangkok checking out all the places in between. We found the Cha Am Hua Hin area the best for cost of living land prices Farang community and a very nice beach. We bought a small bit of land built (local man who built home did a fantastic job cheaply) our very nice 1650 sq ft 3 bdrm 2 bath home for 1 million baht. We settled in Tha Yang area 40K north of Cha Am 65K north of Hua Hin.

I would suggest to anyone seriously thinking of leaving Phuket but remaining in Thailand to spend a few days in Cha Am/Hua Hin area. Where ever you go, good luck

Cha Am is the one place I would and still am considering moving too, it has awesome fishing!!

Iceland has awesome fishing too, I dont see too many moving there. And if you mean fishing out of a man made lake then it isnt exactly a sport. If you are talking about the Gulf of Thailand its been systematically raped for the last 1000 years. There is no mountainous rainforests or jungle just flat and brown, there is hardly anyone there... Cha-am is crap!

• Like 1

Iceland has awesome fishing too, I dont see too many moving there. And if you mean fishing out of a man made lake then it isnt exactly a sport. If you are talking about the Gulf of Thailand its been systematically raped for the last 1000 years. There is no mountainous rainforests or jungle just flat and brown, there is hardly anyone there... Cha-am is crap!

Its like a wasteland. Beaches are filth from the backwash of Bangkok that flows out the Chao praya river from industrial estates.

I will never swim in the gulf of Thailand again.

The whole coastline from Prachuap Kiri Kan to Hua Hin is a giant toilet. I personally think Phuket has it all, and I wouldnt dream of leaving, Ive been here a year now but my opinion might change after my 2nd year

• Like 1

Pattaya is still cheaper than Phuket.

So is Iraq, doesnt make it better. But if you like hanging around the wheelchair army and feel at home amongst geriatrics. By all means move to Pattaya.

I agree with some of the other posters, some people just cant cope with change.

The whole coastline from Prachuap Kiri Kan to Hua Hin is a giant toilet. I personally think Phuket has it all, and I wouldnt dream of leaving, Ive been here a year now but my opinion might change after my 2nd year

The whole gulfs coastline is a toilet.

From the Cambodian border and all the way to Surat thani.

I must admit there is not a lot to do in Cha Am other than the fishing park(this is the Thai owned fishing park not the Farang owned mega expensive one, yes it's man made and it is sport, it's the most reasonable priced big fish venue in Thailand which is why I like to make the long trip every now and then, there is nothing on Phuket which comes close to the northern fisheries, my mate lives up in Udon Thani, god there is absolutely nothing there other than rice fields, been to Pattaya I would never go back, all in all Phuket is the best place to be with everything you could ever need close to hand.

• Like 1

Hello OP. Just wondering if your restaurant "Cheeseburger in Paradise" is affiliated with the chain in the US? I recall the name as being originated by Jimmy Buffett and that Buffett sued the chain in Maui, Hawaii who was using that same name. They settled and the Maui store remains, but they just couldn't expand. Anyways, how did you come up with that name?

The question is, just how low will the "influential people" allow Phuket to slide, because, in my opinion, the local economy is heading for a recession.

There is nothing to blame this year. No Tsunami, Bangkok Floods, Yellow shirt protests, Red shirt protests, Bird Flu, Swine Flu etc etc.

Just keep hanging in there a bit... tongue.png

If nothing else comes along, I'm sure the national government will manage to make/let something happen to fit the need.

There always ends up being something else to blame because, God forbit, the locals would deign to take responsibility for the messes they've created, and that includes Phuket.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

The whole gulfs coastline is a toilet.

From the Cambodian border and all the way to Surat thani.

Don't you think Phuket's beaches and sea is heading that way - and quite quickly.