US Supreme Court in historic rulings on gay marriage

webfact

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can't start a new thread on world news, and as it's not Thai related can't start one on a different forum.

That's rough. Gay Americans still can't get married in 38 of 50 states.

Hmmmmm. looks like a majority of the population don't agree.

As the % of homosexuals in the US is probably under 3% I don't get why it is such a huge media deal. Perhaps someone can explain that.

• Like 1

He can't start a new thread on world news, and as it's not Thai related can't start one on a different forum.

As the % of homosexuals in the US is probably under 3% I don't get why it is such a huge media deal. Perhaps someone can explain that.

That's a simplistic assumption. National polls now show majority support gay marriage equality but most of the state laws don't yet reflect that. That's the fight for now and as long as it takes, which might be another generation. You will likely see many more states turn towards civil rights in the next 5 or 10 years but there are always going to be hopeless states like Alabama that are just not going to change quickly (unless forced to by the supreme court which is of course another possibility).

Edited by Jingthing

* Does it look like that? Please show us how.

* I am hesitant to call you a liar but I'm afraid I don't believe you are as clueless as you'd have to be to not recognize why this is a big story. Of course, it wouldn't be as big a story if it weren't for people like yourself who can't accept this aspect of social progress. Oh, wait...are you one of those who claims that it's no big deal and you don't care - despite repeated and somewhat vehement arguments against it?

• Like 2

Most recent poll conducted by Princeton Survey Research Associates shows only 2 major US demographic groups opposing gay marriage by more than 50%. Republicans at 68% and people over 65 (51%) are the 2 groups.

This court ruling is basically pushing against an open door re public opinion and underlines the radical shift of opinion in the last 10 years.

Basically most people now regard this as a non-issue and the more savvy Republican politicians are moving to the electable side of the argument.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2013/07/01/poll-supreme-court-gay-marriage-affirmative-action-voting-rights/2479541/

Edited by folium
  • Like 1

This topic is about gay marriage. That is the topic and it has been publicly stated before that polygamy or any other subject other than gay marriage is off-topic.

Stay on topic please.

• Like 2

Justice Kennedy Swats Down Proposition 8 Again

http://www.politicususa.com/2013/07/01/justice-kennedy-swats-proposition-8.html

Justice Anthony Kennedy refused to vacate a stay of a decision Friday by the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit based in San Francisco.

Proposition 8′s backers argued that the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals acted improperly when it allowed same-sex marriages to resume on Friday. Despite their lack of standing, they appealed to stop the process, applying to the Supreme Court to issue “an immediate order vacating” the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals’ decision.

The Supreme Court ruling and the affirmation of the ruling by Justice Kennedy is another victory for marriage equality without further delay, hindrance or nullification.

Justice Kennedy is the U.S. Supreme Court justice who determines urgent requests affecting the 9th Circuit of the U.S. Judiciary, which oversees nine states to include California.. Justice Kennedy was successfully nominated to the Supreme Court by Prez Ronald Reagan in 1987.

• Like 1

Of course it is historic, but it's not the final chapter.

Nobody really expected this court to go all the way at this stage.

From little things big things grow. Archie Roach

*deleted post edited out*

Not everyone is pleased when civil rights advances for minority groups are made. That's part of the territory.

Edited by Scott

* I am hesitant to call you a liar but I'm afraid I don't believe you are as clueless as you'd have to be to not recognize why this is a big story. Of course, it wouldn't be as big a story if it weren't for people like yourself who can't accept this aspect of social progress. Oh, wait...are you one of those who claims that it's no big deal and you don't care - despite repeated and somewhat vehement arguments against it?

Please give me a quote where I have said I'm against homosexual marriage. If you can't, I will be reporting you to the mods.

I really don't care if homosexuals want to get married as marriage ( unless having children- to save them from being bastards ) is, IMO, just a con nowadays to give lawyers a huge income as about 50% of marriages fail in the west ( unlike in Thailand where it costs a few baht to get divorced, without a lawyer being required ) .

Please give me a quote where I have said I'm against homosexual marriage. If you can't, I will be reporting you to the mods.

I really don't care if homosexuals want to get married as marriage ( unless having children- to save them from being bastards ) is, IMO, just a con nowadays to give lawyers a huge income as about 50% of marriages fail in the west ( unlike in Thailand where it costs a few baht to get divorced, without a lawyer being required ) .

I have no idea whether I could find such a quote or not. I have absolutely no intention of trying to.

Report me.

• Like 1

If you think for a moment that moderators primary job is to babysit, you are wrong.

Misuse of the report function will result in a suspension.

Stay on topic and drop the personal remarks.

• 2 months later...

The Supreme Court is at the most only several years away from a gay equivalent of the famous Roe v Wade ruling which said abortion is a private matter to decide, protected by the Constitution as a matter of individual and personal privacy, and that therefore no state can deny a woman's constitutional right to an abortion..

The states that have laws or constitutional amendments in force that prohibit gay marriage will have those statutes and constitutional provisions overturned by the Supreme Court in the same kind of ruling in respect to gay marriage.

Legal scholars and gay activists agree on this occurring and occurring soon. It's strictly a matter of the equal protection of the laws, i.e., the Fourteenth Amendment.

The recent Supreme Court ruling is only the first half of the whole of the issue. The second half, equal protection of the laws, is already in process.

Marriage equality will soon exist in all 50 states.