Why can't Thai's give/follow travel directions?

Tiger7Moth

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found out years ago that most appear to follow landmarks or building, so people from a different area maybe will give a different landmark so the new to that area may not know that landmark,

I bought a Map, very good one, only problem could not find anyone that could read a map.. or had any idea on a map where they/we were, so not a lot of help..

OK is years ago now, Driving alone in my car, but was given detailed landmark instruction to find a place I had never been to, all went well for the 1st 30 odd km's until the last few km's, I was on the correct road, but the instruction was Turn left after the Large Glass House, is 1km from there... I simply could not find any glass building anywhere, many km and many U-turns, I found it, I even asked in a Petrol Station, yes you have passed it by 3 km !! ALL the turns up to this point had been buildings, on my 5 th time along the same road I did find it, but NOT what I was looking for, it was a wooden building with the name 'The Large Glass House' set well back off the road...

So locals to an area have different landmarks....... also find some people will give directions even write down and do a drawing of the way to go, via a main road, when it is far easier to go though some Villages to the same point...

I've never understood this either. When we are upcountry and ask for directions, locals always just point and say that way. When I ask the missus how far?? she says "you know these are country people, they don't know distance"

This topic amuses me because it is so true. It really surprised me when I showed a tuk-tuk driver a map written in Thai, and I knew exactly where I wanted to go, but didn't want to walk. The driver didn't have a clue how to read a simple map, even when written in Thai. Eventually I just had to tell him somewhere that I knew was close to where I wanted to go and I just walked from there.

I've drawn a simple map to show Thai friends where I live and they didn't understand. Obviously, rural Thais are not taught about maps in school and when they move to the city they still don't understand. That does not mean they are dumb. They just haven't learned the concept. It is like a farang raised in a city being put in the wilderness and expecting them to survive.

• Like 1

I've never understood this either. When we are upcountry and ask for directions, locals always just point and say that way. When I ask the missus how far?? she says "you know these are country people, they don't know distance"

Not only upcountry....... few weeks ago went to my Dentist with bad pain, only to find he was closed for 4 days, drove home walked across the road and asked a neighbour, she said go to the Hospital across the road......... ?? never seen any hospital been here 10 years....... she called her Husband, so out of Village go left, over bridge and right is on left....... easy asked how far answer about 1 km... Funny is only a small road 2 cars can just pass, truck and car cannot, go that way often... 3 km down this road looking to turn around thinking must have missed it, coming towards me was a Hospital Mini Bus that turned up a dirt track, so I followed, people working in the rice fields both side, at the end of the dirt track was a 5 story building = Hospital, !!! out in the fields, no houses anywhere near... NO sign anywhere even on the building to say it was a Hospital.

To a Thai, Just up or down the road can be many km's away

Yup, they can't read a simple map but they can get on a series of the cheapest busses, and travel 20 hours or more, to go from one end of Thailand to another... and get where they wanted to go.

• Like 1

Same in China. Taxi drivers can't read a map, but if you ask them to take you to any landmark or building, they'll get you there.

Best to forget street addresses here and ask them to take you "100 meters west of the XYZ Hotel"

Just a different way of learning to get around.

IMO, having lived here for decades, it is indeed true that most Thais cannot give directions, either verbally or by drawing a map, and Thai friends have expressed amazement to me at the way foreigners read maps and can go to places they've never been based on one. The Thai norm is that the first time you go somewhere, someone else has to bring you.

The first time I visited my ex wife's home, leaving from Khon Kaen and going near Ubon, I had studied a map and knew how to get close to her home (of course, the last few miles, dirt roads and so on were not on the map). Anyway, as we approached the first major turn, I was already prepared and she was on the phone. So, the "family" plan was for my ex-wife to call her Uncle (a truck driver) many times along the way to find out what to do next. My ex was amazed that I could find the way by using a map (of course, in my experience, it's the last couple of km that will get you every time). I did teach my ex to read a map and we could get around very well - until the last few km which seemed to always be challange.

This topic amuses me because it is so true. It really surprised me when I showed a tuk-tuk driver a map written in Thai, and I knew exactly where I wanted to go, but didn't want to walk. The driver didn't have a clue how to read a simple map, even when written in Thai. Eventually I just had to tell him somewhere that I knew was close to where I wanted to go and I just walked from there.

I've drawn a simple map to show Thai friends where I live and they didn't understand. Obviously, rural Thais are not taught about maps in school and when they move to the city they still don't understand. That does not mean they are dumb. They just haven't learned the concept. It is like a farang raised in a city being put in the wilderness and expecting them to survive.

We can all read and write.

Many lower class Thais can't read and write.

Tuk tuk, m/c taxi, all the bottom of the pile, hardly any of them can read and write so that includes maps.

Not only the maps, but they can't read road names or shop names either.

Edited by AnotherOneAmerican
  • Like 1

it takes them 20 minutes to say "go down the road and turn left at the next street", they simply cannot explain things, dont know why but I am yet to find anyone here that doesnt prattle on giving a heap of useless info and not getting around to the simple directions needed.

Like most things I now say to my Wife before starting to ask anything "just give me a YES NO OR DONT KNOW answer"

She still can't help telling me useless information for example.

"Go down the main road and you come to road 11 it has a noodle stand outside with an old man serving, you dont need this road"?????

So why tell me all the crap I dont need to know? must be a Thai thing or a "my Wife thing" but have seen other Thais do this.

In case anyone is old enough to remember this is the sort of useless information delivery I liked, before the Young Ones and Bottom there was "Kevin Turvey" I reckon Thais model themselves on Kevin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84XbjYS3XLc

• Like 2

Tuk tuk, m/c taxi, all the bottom of the pile, hardly any of them can read and write so that includes maps.

That probably explains why I see a great number of taxi drivers reading newspapers while waiting for a fare. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Today i asked someone to meet me at MRT Asoke in Thai..she said she knew where it was..later she called me and said she was waiting for me at McDonalds at Robinsons, about 200 meters away..it took forever to get her to find MRT Asoke..it turns out that she did not know where MRT Asoke was even though she had told me she did..Thais just dont seem to know the most basic phrase "I dont know"

Took my wife back home and she was amazed that I could drive across the country without getting lost while relying solely on road signs or the odd question about direction from a local, which was invariably accurately answered. She lost sleep when she discovered we were going to areas that I had never been to before, or where there were no friends or relatives to call on for directions.

Well said.

My wife can sorta read maps now but it took years and near divorce a couple of times.

The worst was when my parents and one kid were in the car in the hot season. The air condition didn't work. The hour trip to Ayuttaya from Bangkok took 5 hours. After 2 hours we ended up in Nontaburi!

However, when going places we've already been, she can't understand my bad directions/memory. She'll say things like "remember there's pink house after this turn"

Don't even bother showing a map to a Tuk Tuk or Taxi driver.

The worst one I had picked my up at Bangkok hospital and didn't know how to go to Sukhumvit 49.

That probably explains why I see a great number of taxi drivers reading newspapers while waiting for a fare. coffee1.gif

Nah just looking at the pictures mate..........works for me cheesy.gif

Well said.

My wife can sorta read maps now but it took years and near divorce a couple of times.

The worst was when my parents and one kid were in the car in the hot season. The air condition didn't work. The hour trip to Ayuttaya from Bangkok took 5 hours. After 2 hours we ended up in Nontaburi!

However, when going places we've already been, she can't understand my bad directions/memory. She'll say things like "remember there's pink house after this turn"

Don't even bother showing a map to a Tuk Tuk or Taxi driver.

The worst one I had picked my up at Bangkok hospital and didn't know how to go to Sukhumvit 49.

Actually Ive found that even landmarks dont register with my Wife, quite often she will tell someone how to find us and never think to say "Right next to the Nissan garage" which would be so easy for them.

Can't really be sure as to why, perhaps a fictional estimate is favoured over the loss of face that comes with "I don't know' I've been driving here for more than three decades and the only people I ask for directions are Motorcycle taxis! Never had a wrong one yet!

Education is a wonderful thing.

It also helps if you don't expect alcoholics to be able to converse with you or see a map clearly.

Edit: and people who need glasses but can't afford them/don't realise they need them to see small maps.

Edited by arthurwait

I lived in Mexico for 10 yrs. and it seemed to be a matter of loosing face when answering questions on direction. They made up false directions to appear knowledgeable. In Costa Rica they are converting the postal system giving each address a street name and number. It will no longer be go to the blah blah turn right for a 100 metres

I have asked some Thais which way North is. It is surprising how many will point straight up to the sky. Not much wonder they can't read a map. Give it a try. Could also explain why when you do show them a map they will always spin it around and around trying to figure it out.

• Like 1

People have different life skills in different parts of the world - When you grow up in a small village, things like reading maps are not that important. And in small town America, I have seen similar deficiencies in giving directions to strangers - - "Well, if you go abt a mile down the road to where Billy Jo Bob's barn used to be before the fire..."

But when you think about it, some of the differences that drive people crazy here can also be connected to what they like about being here - the laid back attitude of the people etc.. some of these things cause minor delays and really, are not very important in the scheme of things. If they are, surely you will find a way around it - hire and train your own McD delivery boy - pay well and he will figure it out. If you are retired here nad not rushing off to work - relax and go with the easy attitude. if everything here were exactly like your home town, you would not have moved in the first place -

• Like 2

Education is a wonderful thing.

It also helps if you don't expect alcoholics to be able to converse with you or see a map clearly.

Edit: and people who need glasses but can't afford them/don't realise they need them to see small maps.

There not taught there left from their right at school.

But the Government says it will start to change this in........16 years time!

As others said: some of the lowerclass people have problems with reading at all.

Map reading: never heard of.

Even better educated children (8th grade) will have problems pointing to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Phuket on a Thailand map.

They simply did not learn to read maps. They haven't seen a globe, a world map. . .

I told them about road numbers and milestones (very useful when they are well readable).

They didn't know what I was talking about until I pointed to milestone 73 where we turn right.

Unbelievable for us!

My familiy was so sceptical and full of fear learning that I would drive more than 500km and find my target.

Another problem: Farang and Thai use different names for city streets, saying Farangs use their "own" names (often nicknames).

What the hell is "Wireless Road" to a Thai?

Though most will probably have heard of "Bangkok" (if you pronounce it right) biggrin.png

Adresses are worthless for finding a house (different to Germany e.g.).

The house numbers are assigned chronically.

We live in 340, next house is 8 blink.png

There seems to be no electronic database of the house numbers, unlike Germany where you can type an adress to the map program and it will point to the house.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

Today i asked someone to meet me at MRT Asoke in Thai..she said she knew where it was..later she called me and said she was waiting for me at McDonalds at Robinsons, about 200 meters away..it took forever to get her to find MRT Asoke..it turns out that she did not know where MRT Asoke was even though she had told me she did..Thais just dont seem to know the most basic phrase "I dont know"

They cannot say they don't know any more than it was my fault, to do so means loss of face. We ordered food from a place 8 kilometers away (not fast food) stayed in all day only to have them ring at six pm to ask where it was as they thought it was sukhumvit and that's where they were, but we live over 30 k away. Took them another 2 hours and three more phone calls, his excuse was it's not his route. Clear instructions were given the day before to the office and as far as I know they only have one delivery man!

• Like 1