Grace period ignored by immigration

[attachment=223460:ImageUploadedByThaivisa Connect Thailand1373176703.946057.jpg

This is the paper that Jomtien Immigration puts in your passport. It says nothing about a grace period. Also, when applying for a Certificate of Residency, Jomtien charges ฿300 and will not give you a receipt.

This is from the Thai Immigration website:

Notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days

Procedure and notification

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

Some of what it says on the immigration website is wrong. It says you can report by post, but that is no allowed in some areas. So you can't believe everything you read there. Don't report late and you won't have this problem. I know some people may have to occasionally, but many people are just too lax.

The issue is whether the 7 days grace period is true or not. All indications I have is that it is. As I said earlier, I was given a printed copy advising me about the 7 days grace, so unless immigration has changed their policy without actually advising anyone, I'll continue to believe it's true. However, when I do my next 90 days I'll try and get something in writing.

7 day grace period? I was 7 days late in reporting to Bangkok immigration for my 90 day extension and got hit with a 3500bt fine, I have the receipt. So, I would suggest it doesn't exist or depends on the mood of the officials.

That would have been an overstay of 7 days not late 90 day reporting which the fine is set at 2,000 baht for reporting or 4,000 baht for arrest.

If a foreigner staying in the kingdom over 90 days without notifying the Immigration Bureau or notifying the Immigration Bureau later than the set period, a fine of 2,000.- Baht will be collected. If a foreigner who did not make the notification of staying over 90 days is arrested, he will be fined 4,000.- Baht.

Bangkok immigration web site

The notification must be made within 15 days before or after 7 days the period of 90 days expires.

http://bangkok.immigration.go.th/en/base.php?page=90days

Thailand immigration web site

http://www.immigration.go.th/

7 day grace period? I was 7 days late in reporting to Bangkok immigration for my 90 day extension and got hit with a 3500bt fine, I have the receipt. So, I would suggest it doesn't exist or depends on the mood of the officials.

It does exist and their website clearly states so. I don't know what possible excuse or reason an immigration official would have for over-riding their policy. I would certainly be asking to speak to a higher authority if someone tried to extort money from me for being within that 7 day grace period.

The police order quoted above is quite specific about the 15 days early and 7 days late. No room for interpretation or discretion.

Indeed, Keeniau, but there are always people who aren't able to read, or people for whom there is another immigration-law.