Advice needed in buying a helmet

Hi Everyone,

I plan to purchase a helmet, because mine got nicked. Iam looking at a range of 4-5k. Do you have any recommendations? I went to helmet2home website and currently sway between these ones:

Shark S600

FF396.3 FT2 SINGLE MONO

BIlmola Explorer (this one is 4100 at bigwing CM) with discount it comes out to something like 3600.

I have never tried the flip-up helmet before, but I really like the idea of it in case I need a quick snack or a drink so I dont have to take the bleeding thing off every time. What I do not like on bilmola is the actual lock it doesn't look durable at all.

Also I measured up my head which came out to M size (right to the very last cm on a chart) I had REAL helmet M, and it felt like a clamp on my head very tight. Is it okay to go for a slightly larger size?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is nothing wrong with flip up helmets. There maybe a problem with poor quality helmets.

These websites might help you decide

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm ( There is a wide range of helmets reviewed)

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/ This is a British Government test site. The tests obviously do not include the overall finish and fit/comfort of the helmet.

If nothing else, these sites might give you an idea of what to look out for in a helmet.

I differ from Rubbersidedown and would go for the larger size helmet. This is very much a personal decision based on the shape of the helmet and ones head. The Web Bike World reviews makes it clear.

One thing I would go for is the best ventilation you can get with a helmet allowing plenty of air through.

You might like to consider importing your helmet instead of buying a local brand. I have always used a German company that has very good prices and is reliable on shipping.

• Like 1

the old saying is

if you have a $10 head then get a $10 helmet

being a motorcycle tech for 45 years I know what helmets are the best

top of the range helmets are Aria..Bell..shark ...carbon fibre...

all depends what you ride...... big bike or commuter

1000cc 600cc 250cc or the thai average 100-150cc

bigger the bike then better the quality helmet

I have always had a helmet that is tightfitting because after a while the padding inside molds to the shape of your head

this is why we do not lend our helmets

• Like 2

I own two Bell helmets in your price range.

One is an EVO Revolver with an articulated mandibular section (Modular Design). It is DOT certified.

The second is a Vortex Full Face, it is DOT and Snell certified.

There is no such thing as a Snell certified Modular Helmet.

If you drive very fast or your driving style is akin to our Thai brethren, Snell certified is the way to go.

Short trips around town and minimal highway driving... a DOT certification should be fine for that usage.

Fit is a personal comfort thing, it should be snug but not vice-like in it's grip. Who wants to end every long ride with a headache? As one poster mentioned the foam will eventually compress some but maybe not enough to make an actual size difference. Look at the heels of your running shoes for example.

I get great service from both of these helmets and the flip down sun shade on the EVO is a nice feature if you start your ride in the sun and finish at night. The linings are also removable for cleaning, a good thing in this climate. You could also opt for a Transitions face shield that will darken or lighten based on the amount of sunlight. Great addition, but it will amost double the price of your helmet.

F1

• Like 1

My advice is avoid the cheap, local made helmets. They are no better then balancing a plastic soup bowl on your head and people buy them just to avoid the police fines not to protect themselves. I have 2 helmets and both are Shark. I think they are made in Thailand but they are a well respected French brand and are high quality, it is very noticeable as well when you pick them up. They might be a little more expensive but your head is worth it. Also, you may want to consider one with detachable liners, it's hot here and you are probably going to sweat a little, the last thing you want is to stick a stinking lid on your head. I bung mine in the washing machine after just a few days use to keep them clean.

Any helmets in Thailand are likely to be dodgy in regards safety specs, even if they appear to be real and not copies. That aside IMO I agree that ventilation is very important otherwise it gets very hot and uncomfortable quickly. A helmet should be a snug fit but not so tight that it causes you a headache.... you will learn this lesson quickly if you go for long rides.

Some helmets do loosen a bit but In the past I have found that they dont loosen or stretch enough if the helmet was to small or tight to start with.

And as one previous post stated.....be careful if its an expensive helmet. Dont leave it hanging on your bike as it will get swiped. Happened to me in the Philippines, and yes they just cut the straps. What really pissed me off was that I parked the bike no more than 10 feet away from and in front of the security guard! When I questioned him, he suddenly didnt understand or speak English. Typical?

Anyways, good luck with your new helmet (and get the one that fits best, flip tops are good too...I like)

• Like 2

I like the idea of a full face helmet but current use an open face one as I feel I have better awareness of traffic around me.

Suggestions/comments?

( Best purchase I made was a pair of light-industrial plain safety glasses, worn in the later afternoon and evening in place of normal sunglasses; keeps the bugs and road grit out of my eyes. )

The only way to buy a helmet is to try it on first.

If you are buying over the internet, find a shop that sells them & try them for size there.

A helmet needs to be firm but not too tight.

Found this prior post that has good information on helmet fitting - http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=108576

David

• Like 1

Whats is a problem with a full face flip up helmets? Iam sure they would have not made them if they were not safe.

THe only problem at the moments I cant afford a 15-20k helmet. Another issue Iam having in Chiang Rai I cannot find any decent shop with helmets to try them on. I tried bilmola at BigWing it was bulky, been to a few more shops in Chiang Mai they are always either dont have in stock what I want or just have Thai REAL brand helmets.

I cant try those that are on the internet neither i can be sure that it will fit properly.

BKK sure have plenty but I cant go there until October.

BTW I ride CBR500r

Iam puzzled by size Chart Iam sure my head was 62cm and the helmet that I tried L was too big I had to go for M. I wonder if its thai sized, because it was REAL brand

Edited by sup3r1or

I have bought the Real CJ-603 helmet open face and I am really happy with it :

http://www.real-helmets.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&vmcchk=1&Itemid=4

1300 bath and DOT certified. In town, it's a very pleasant helmet and you are not too much scare about someone stealing it while you do some shoping..

But for longer trip maybe I will purchase the full face Gforce. I tried the Gforce and it is quite confortable and look safe. Many bikers do think it's a decent helmet...

I ride a 200cc chinese bike biggrin.png

Edited by DrAzTiK

My advice is avoid the cheap, local made helmets.

All Bimola helmets are constructed to meet European (ECE R22.05) and American (DOT, Snell) safety standards.

http://www.bilmola.com/about/

I would not by a helmet on-line unless it was a direct replacement for a helmet I already had, like buying shoes on-line.

So buy the one from CM bigbike that fits the best, should fit snugly and you should not be able to rotate the helmet from side-to-side. ( Imagine what will happen if you are doing 100+kph and look to the side of the road!)

Initially you may have to pull on the straps to spread the helmet to get it on. There are only three colours. White, black and matt black.

If the one that fits snugly doesn't seem correct you may not have a "Bimola head" and you will need to look for an alternate make of helmet.

Flip ups are Ok but always ride with the helmet-front down. BTW Explorer has built in flip down sun glasses as a bonus.

I read somewhere Bimola are sold in Europe as Velmar.

• Like 1

I own two Bell helmets in your price range.

One is an EVO Revolver with an articulated mandibular section (Modular Design). It is DOT certified.

The second is a Vortex Full Face, it is DOT and Snell certified.

There is no such thing as a Snell certified Modular Helmet.

If you drive very fast or your driving style is akin to our Thai brethren, Snell certified is the way to go.

Short trips around town and minimal highway driving... a DOT certification should be fine for that usage.

Fit is a personal comfort thing, it should be snug but not vice-like in it's grip. Who wants to end every long ride with a headache? As one poster mentioned the foam will eventually compress some but maybe not enough to make an actual size difference. Look at the heels of your running shoes for example.

I get great service from both of these helmets and the flip down sun shade on the EVO is a nice feature if you start your ride in the sun and finish at night. The linings are also removable for cleaning, a good thing in this climate. You could also opt for a Transitions face shield that will darken or lighten based on the amount of sunlight. Great addition, but it will amost double the price of your helmet.

F1

If by 'Modular' you mean a flip up then you might like to have a look at web bike world, I think you might find there are Snell certified flip ups

No, don't buy a helmet online, you have to try it on and see if it fits. Whenever I buy a helmet, I usually try a lot of them and not many I find comfortable. some are the right size but don't sit right, some are very comfy but don't have my size. I have 3 full head helmets (one of which is modular) sizes XL-XXXL depending on a model and brand and one pot-type helmet (had no problems fitting this one). Like others said, unless yo're buying exactly the same brand and model as you already own(ed), you'd have to try it.

It is your HEAD that you are trying to protect...so IMO not a place to skimp on cost.

Full Face for sure...and a name brand. Shoei makes an excellent helmet...it's what I wear.

Good luck.

Edited by 87LtdT

Most helmets in thailand with the exception of the higher end helmets are sized by the removable foam padding.

Meaning that, if its too big or small you can just swap out the removable foam part to a different size...runs around 300 baht.

If you can afford it, id order an OGK FF4 from ebay...free shipping and are $279 USD.

I noticed that a lot of people seem to be thinking about scooter helmets with glass front when I mention flip-up. I definitely wouldn't ride in one of those. by flip-up I mean a full-face helmet that comes up . 1638950.jpgs