Where are the seagulls?

2planes3towers

I have wondered that too, but havent come up with a good answer. There is food here, so I dont think that is really the reason, but I wouldnt doubt that they have been eaten. Everything else seems to be on the menu. I feel sorry for the poor lizards that are in the bushes, along the road, always someone hunting them.

you want Gulls..?

Bang Poo, Samut Prakarn... just south of Bangkok. thumbsup.gif

numbers in the 1000's

They're terns, not gulls.

gulp ! ...obviously not a birder coffee1.gif(yes they are ..wink.png )

Yes, a few Brown-headed gulls visit, but, they are not resident. Yes, there are gulls in Thailand, but not a large amount. Vastly outnumbered by terns.

you want Gulls..?

numbers in the 1000's

gulp ! ...obviously not a birder coffee1.gif(yes they are ..wink.png )

Yes, a few Brown-headed gulls visit, but, they are not resident. Yes, there are gulls in Thailand, but not a large amount. Vastly outnumbered by terns.

quite wrong there buddy. smile.png

edit: clarification point

Edited by Goshawk

I am a birder, see my avatar:-) Not many gulls in the tropics in general, too far South or North for them. Gulls prefer temperate climates though I do not think it has anything to do with the availability of food. Gulls will eat pretty much anything and there sure is enough garbage in Thailand to sustain them.

you want Gulls..?

numbers in the 1000's

Same-same but different. For the benefit of any birders here, I've occasionally seen sea eagles at the islands off Pattaya.

I am a birder, see my avatar:-) Not many gulls in the tropics in general, too far South or North for them. Gulls prefer temperate climates though I do not think it has anything to do with the availability of food. Gulls will eat pretty much anything and there sure is enough garbage in Thailand to sustain them.

They were all over the place in Mexico. Plenty hot there, esp. in the summer months.

Then too, there were pelicans, magnificent frigate birds, and some kind of duck hanging with the seagulls. It was bird city.

Fairly entertaining too.

They were all over the place in Mexico. Plenty hot there, esp. in the summer months.

Then too, there were pelicans, magnificent frigate birds, and some kind of duck hanging with the seagulls. It was bird city.

Fairly entertaining too.

I'll rephrase that: in SE Asia and Africa gulls tend to stick to the north and south. Plenty of shorebirds in Thailand during migration so I do not think absence of food is an issue.

And some gulls do winter in Tahiland(and not just Brown-headed).

They have all been eaten by the Thais biggrin.png

Was that the 'funniest' thing that you could come up with, it doesn't even make any sense?

Its funny for me,

Thais are not much different than the Chinese and it is a saying,

=Chinese (Thais) eat everything in a Restaurant, except, tables and chairs!= wink.png

With enough MSG and spicy even Seagulls! blink.png

Here in Isaan, no wildlife anymore! Rats, frogs and toads. Thats it!

Edited by ALFREDO

Ladyboys keep them in a secret gaviarybiggrin.png . They mix the guano with crystal meth and use it as a rejuvenating facialtongue.png mask. Side effects include kleptomania, violent outbursts, talking like a sodomized smurf, and baldness.laugh.png

"talking like a sodomized smurf," Excellent, describes the voice exactly. clap2.gif

I can't help smiling every time I read that.

• Like 1

Back to seaguls. I found a map that shows their habitat range. They apparently do not like Thailand but are in southern China. One poster said terns are over here, which are related to seaguls. If terns are near Bangkok, why do I not see them in Pattaya-Jomtien? Do they know something we do not know about water pollution here? I would think not because the closer you get to Bangkok the more polluted the water is. Nuff said.

Ladyboys keep them in a secret gaviarybiggrin.png . They mix the guano with crystal meth and use it as a rejuvenating facialtongue.png mask. Side effects include kleptomania, violent outbursts, talking like a sodomized smurf, and baldness.laugh.png

"talking like a sodomized smurf," Excellent, describes the voice exactly. clap2.gif

I can't help smiling every time I read that.

The gift of a small mind no doubt.

It wont take long, before there are no fish here either. If it moves, eat it!

You're not wrong there fakey.

There's some very serious over fishing going on with even the smallest being taken now in an industrial scale & turned into meal for feeding farm animals & as fertilizer.

A fair bit of what we eat at the local restaurants is farmed fish & that includes a lot of shellfish

On the whole, seagulls live in cooler climates. Cold water seas have much more life. Tropical seas are virtual deserts in comparison.

I work at sea and haven't seen any gulls in SE Asia at all.

Right and the reason for this is that the solubility of gases like oxygen in water increases with decreasing temperature for chemical ( Le Chateliers Principle ) and physical ( cold water traps O2 in hydrogen bonded 'cages'. So cold water supports more sea life.

Edited by morrobay