buying used, dealer insists no registration book for a month ?

It would be for me as the green book should already exist, unless the bike is only a couple of weeks old. Should be a quick trip to Dept of Land and Transport to make the transfer, no way will it take a month.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

if it has a white plate the book exists, i'd at least ask for proof, photo copy at least. Without the book the vehicle is worth a lot less

If it has a white plate, a plate exists.

Anyone can fit any plate to any bike.

Ask for a copy of the book. No copy of the book no money, even not a deposit.

• Like 1

Can you post what bike it's about.

There are a few dealers that are well known for pulling this trick.

If you post the name of the dealer maybe many could tell you right away if you should here alarm bells ringing.

Dealers always take a long time to do the transfer .Its 3 months with a new bike ,which is a joke .

But with a new bike the time frame is depending on many factors like the manufacturer sending the documents, then the DLT taking it's time.

With a used bike it's a matter of does it have a book or not.If they can't show a copy it means there is no book.

Without providing more details, even a look into the crystal ball won't clear it up...

Three possible scenarios.

1. the bike is imported in parts, dodgy papers and plate, no book exists.
  2. The bike is from another province, so it needs time to transfer ownership. (It's not done with a "quick trip to the DLT", that's "superficial knowledge" and just BS in this case). Maybe also missing/incomplete documents from the previous owner can cause a delay.
  3. The bike is/was on finance and the book is "locked" by the "Finance Company". They won't hand it out, until full money has been paid!
    It's the same, when you buy a bike at an auction. The book needs two/three weeks to arrive!

However, in case of 2+3 a copy of the book should definitely exist.

Edited by Turkleton
  • Like 2

Please give more info. I bought a second hand bike from a dealer and it took about 3 weeks for the book to arrive. I had a photo copy of the book so i wasn't worried about it. Without the book its worth a lot less than with a book.

Without providing more details, even a look into the crystal ball won't clear it up...

Three possible scenarios.

1. the bike is imported in parts, dodgy papers and plate, no book exists.
  2. The bike is from another province, so it needs time to transfer ownership. (It's not done with a "quick trip to the DLT", that's "superficial knowledge" and just BS in this case). Maybe also missing/incomplete documents from the previous owner can cause a delay.
  3. The bike is/was on finance and the book is "locked" by the "Finance Company". They won't hand it out, until full money has been paid!

It's the same, when you buy a bike at an auction. The book needs two/three weeks to arrive!

However, in case of 2+3 a copy of the book should definitely exist.

2. it only takes about a week to transfer ownership from another province If you have the green book. Did this in Chiang Mai no problem. Me and the girlfriend went to the motorcycle registration office in Hong Noi filled out the paper work paid the fees told to come back in one week, went back all done. Then we had to do the registration into my name in Chiang Mai they do not do it in one process.

2. it only takes about a week to transfer ownership from another province If you have the green book. Did this in Chiang Mai no problem. Me and the girlfriend went to the motorcycle registration office in Hong Noi filled out the paper work paid the fees told to come back in one week, went back all done. Then we had to do the registration into my name in Chiang Mai they do not do it in one process.

That's what I meant, it's not done with a "quick trip"

I don't know, how the DLT works in other provinces.

But in Pattaya e.g., you have to visit the DLT CHONBURI three times, if the bike is from another province.

All in all ~10-12 days if you do it yourself and all documents are complete and correct...otherwise....facepalm.gif.pagespeed.ce.EuN79TyYk_.gif!

But the "average somchai dealer", will use an "office/agency" for these purposes.

This can easily double/triple the waiting period, because the "office/agency" collects some books/customer first, before they start the process.

Edited by Turkleton

You would be lucky to get it back in one month. Trust the dealer. When I bought my used bike a year ago, I was given the GreenBook. The dealer and I went to the DLT office together, and completed all of the paperwork. The GreenBook was finally changed over into my name, and I received the book in 7 weeks. The DLT operates just as the DMV does in the states. Slow. Look how long people have to drive on their red plates before they ever get their permanent plate. Again, trust your dealer. It will get done. Not his fault it takes time.

Why are all of the posters assuming that no book even exists, and the dealer is a crook? The OP I think is just saying he was told it would take one month before he got the book in his name. People should stop trying to make this into a huge criminal enterprise.

Edited by stoli
  • Like 1

You would be lucky to get it back in one month. Trust the dealer. When I bought my used bike a year ago, I was given the GreenBook. The dealer and I went to the DLT office together, and completed all of the paperwork. The GreenBook was finally changed over into my name, and I received the book in 7 weeks. The DLT operates just as the DMV does in the states. Slow. Look how long people have to drive on their red plates before they ever get their permanent plate. Again, trust your dealer. It will get done. Not his fault it takes time.

Why are all of the posters assuming that no book even exists, and the dealer is a crook? The OP I think is just saying he was told it would take one month before he got the book in his name. People should stop trying to make this into a huge criminal enterprise.

To clarify, the dealer cannot/will not produce the book or copy.

The Yamaha Fino is not a very unique scooter, even at 8 months old I'm sure you can find them everywhere. Sometimes it seems that every dealer who sells secondhand motorcycles/scooters has some Yamaha Fino's on stock...

So don't waist your time on a motorcycle/scooter shop who doesn't want to show he's a honest seller... If you buy from this shop, somewhere down the line you get again into trouble...