SYM... Having an "only in Thailand" moment...

RaysFan

Ok so Im in the market for a scooter, and SYM is currently leading the pack... So I'm checking the SYM website out to get some specifications, and I see they have a new EVO GTS out (or coming out, they dont specify) so Im thinking this scooter sounds AMAZING! So I get on the SYM Thailand website... and guess what... They have the old/current scooter model, but they are advertising all the specifications for the new/next year model.... WOW!!!!! They look completely different... The one they are currently selling in Thailand is actually shorter in length and height, and wider than they advertise, it has completely different breaks, a much smaller engine, has much less horsepower, torque, and fuel economy. Its just a completely different bike!!! They are actually selling the EVO 300, but they are advertising the EVO 300i... They literally dont know what they are selling, and the customers are buying something COMPLETELY different than they think they are. Seriously, if you compare the 3 sites, EVERYTHING is completely different... Have a look...

EVO 300, this is what they are selling on the Thai website

http://www.sym.com.tw/eng/showroom/index.php?mode=brand&tid=1&bid=53

EVO 300i, this is what they are advertising

http://www.sym.com.tw/eng/showroom/index.php?mode=brand&tid=1&bid=69

And here is the Thai SYM website... Completely misleading its customers...

http://www.sym-thailand.co.th/scooter/gts-300i-evo/

On another note... The new SYM 300 does look amazing, I dont know when it will make it here. 29 hp, 26 torque, big breaks, much more thin, much more fuel efficent, and has a usb port. I hope it arrives this fall...

THey all look pretty bland to me. The only one worth considering is the big 400....but then you can get a Forza for much less, and it's close to the 300 for output, why would you buy a SYM?

From reading the stats on both the SYM 300 and the Forza... The SYM just seems better in every way possible... And its (from what I have read) about 30k or 40k cheaper... Unless someone can prove the Forza is better, I think I will buy the SYM when I can find a real 300i. The only thing the Honda has going for it is this is Thailand, and anything made by Honda magically does not depreciate in value. I see people selling 1 year old PCXs for the same price as a new one all the time in the classifieds.

I wanted to buy Sym, but then Forza same out and choice was easy :)

While i still prefer the look of Sym, i think Forza has a better sound(engine and muffler) and most certainly easier to service and resell when i decide to change

There was a raft of Forza's around Pattaya when they were introduced. Maybe the old farts that bought them realised they were to much scooter......and they parked them in the shed and now borrow their GF's Fino or Scoopy! biggrin.png

There was a raft of Forza's around Pattaya when they were introduced. Maybe the old farts that bought them realised they were to much scooter......and they parked them in the shed and now borrow their GF's Fino or Scoopy! biggrin.png

I remember the thread, when everyone was getting one, but seems not too many ended up following through with it.

May be many after buying realized it eats little more gas than the fino and full gas tank is over 300 baht

I have mine and i absolutely love it :)

OP, what you think is wrong on the Thai-website? I know the horsepower is definitely wrong. They claim it has 17.2hp. Guess that should be kw, not hp. But they do not claim they sell the new model imo. AFAIK they sell the FI version in Thailand. Old and new model share the same name afaik.

Its sad they still sell the old model in Thailand. In other countries there is the new model sold for over one year now. The new model is much better. It has e.g. a redesigned, bigger engine.

But the Forza has ABS. I would prefer the Forza over the "old" GTS EVO 300(i?). I hope we get the MaxSYM with ABS one day. That would be a nice bike.

I am pretty sure, just 10 mins ago i saw brand new Sym Joymax 300i at Mityon on Pattaya Tai, i think its the newest model

That would be nice. Someone can make a picture and ask for the price please?

I think they are pretty close to the same weight, and both the new model and old model have more HP and torque than the Forza. The new model is pushing 29 HP and 26 torque if I remember correctly... And they also advertise about 80 MPG and comes with a 12v and usb sockets... Nice touches. Should greatly outperform the Forza in any situation. Also, the lights are just amazing.

As soon as I can get my hands on a new model here Im a buyer for sure... And with SYM building their presence here in Thailand, any worries about maintenance should go away.

I am pretty sure, just 10 mins ago i saw brand new Sym Joymax 300i at Mityon on Pattaya Tai, i think its the newest model

That would be nice. Someone can make a picture and ask for the price please?

If i am over that way, i will get the info, but i am sure it was joymax 300i, i was somewhat interested in the bike as i did not recognize it, the older one says Sym Evo 300i, this one was Joymax.

It looked like it was just delivered, because it was outside, covered in plastic with some wires all over the place

There are two different versions of the same scooter. Joymax is a bit more touring and the new one has wavy discs and Combined Braking System. GTS is more "sporty" but no CBS AFAIK. Joymax has a smaller "square" turn signal , GTS has a "swish" style elongated turn signal.

Yes there is a new version. The 250 has gone down a bit in capacity the 300 has gone up.

The info is similar to what happened with the old ford Focus, new one advertised in EU but Ford here still has old ones in the showroom.

Only way is to go to the showroom and see what they have.