A Vietnamese pianist is seeking a job in Bangkok

Hello everybody!

I wanna live in Thailand and just moved to BKK around 2 weeks and wanna find a work as a piano player at hotels's lobby, coffee shop or singer for any bands which play for clubs, bars...in Bangkok. Do i post here, right?

My troubles are:

1. Should i get a job 1st, then get a non - visa and work permit? or they just rent me when i have work permit already?

2. Is there any job site where i can offer my ability or they are seeking a pianist there?

Thanks for yr reading and hope to get your feedback soon!

You might also consider some of the nicer hospitals. I was stunned to see a near full-time pianist playing at one near where I live.

And perhaps another member can expand, but don't many of the malls employ same?

Chuc may man! (Good luck! (Mods))

You might also consider some of the nicer hospitals. I was stunned to see a near full-time pianist playing at one near where I live.

And perhaps another member can expand, but don't many of the malls employ same?

Chuc may man! (Good luck! (Mods))

Thanks for ur recommend. I have heared about those hospitals but i dont know much about BKK indeed, so could you tell me a few names of hospitals, then i can search on google to come to offer myself?

P/s: lol u can type Vietnamese so good, hi hi

Honestly, I don't really think any thai establishment will be interested in hiring a foreign pianist (unless he brings something to the table a thai pianist can't), local talent is a plenty here and much cheaper to hire, without the hassle of applying work permits etc.

Your only hope is to build a relationship with someone who does need a pianist or knows someone who does and can hook you up with a job. So basically networking. As the poster above mentioned, these piano jobs are given to Thais, and since it is such a niche job, it would generally be a friend of a friend who has a son/uncle who plays.

Thanks for your all recommentions, Im following those ways which u advice, and hope will get it asap. Yes its not easy indeed for a foreigner but im still giving it a try.

So do u know any sites for offering my abilities which the employer normally search when they wanna find any candidates?

Thanks u all once again!

As I said earlier. Nearly Zero chances for a thai establishment to legally employ a foreign pianist, unless he brings something to the table a thai pianist can't. Your only option is to try and work illegally by offerring to work for lower than what a thai pianist get, but the pay is too low, not enough to make ends meet and definitely not worth the risk being caught by police. You are much better off try to establish a career back home in Vietnam.

Let's be honest. Your chance is very slim. You have to compete not with only the locals but also a lot of Philippine artists here. I talked to few of them whom I found really talented but nobody offers them a permanent job with a work permit.

Re your questions:

1. You need a full time job before you can apply for a work permit.

2. try normal websites for job hunting like http://th.jobsdb.com/th or even craigslist.

Lastly, I think if you still want to be here, teaching is a better option. If you speak decent English and offering a very low price, you will be able to find students. I looked for a piano tutor last year and the cheapest I could find was around 600baht/hour which is much more expensive than in Vietnam.

Thanks for your all advises

To Ducnguyen

You r Vietnamese, arent u? How long have u stayed here? Can i get your email to communicate more? (mine is [email protected])

Thanks for ur recommention but actually im not interested in teaching indeed tho i have been a teacher for almost 8 years in Viet Nam, then finally i've realized that i just found myself on stage, lol

Im still trying different ways as: from my colleagues ( they are Philipino artists here), by offer with managers of a few hotels and i maybe start playing for a hotel in September...

But i need to extend my visa before i could get a work permit, so my question is:

- Should a Vietnamese go to Combodia or Lao to extend visa and how many days available get more? Or go to Thai immagration?...

- If i wanna buy a 2nd motor, do i must change my Vietnam driving lisence?

Hope to hear ur feedback soon (or from anyone who could give me a recomention)

Thanks one again to u all.!

Let's be honest. Your chance is very slim. You have to compete not with only the locals but also a lot of Philippine artists here. I talked to few of them whom I found really talented but nobody offers them a permanent job with a work permit.

Re your questions:

1. You need a full time job before you can apply for a work permit.

2. try normal websites for job hunting like http://th.jobsdb.com/th or even craigslist.

Lastly, I think if you still want to be here, teaching is a better option. If you speak decent English and offering a very low price, you will be able to find students. I looked for a piano tutor last year and the cheapest I could find was around 600baht/hour which is much more expensive than in Vietnam.

Do you have a music degree? If not, are you able to get one in Vietnam? The free movement of labor is only a couple years away in ASEAN. It will require some kind of professional certification for whatever profession your looking to compete in the other country for. If you don't have it then you are automatically disqualified for this program. With 600 million ASEAN citizens, it benefits you to get an education prior to going abroad.

Do you have a music degree? If not, are you able to get one in Vietnam? The free movement of labor is only a couple years away in ASEAN. It will require some kind of professional certification for whatever profession your looking to compete in the other country for. If you don't have it then you are automatically disqualified for this program. With 600 million ASEAN citizens, it benefits you to get an education prior to going abroad.

Thanks, i have studied 12 years for 3 instrument and be a music teacher also at the Univercity of art In Viet Nam, so obviously i have B.C in music. All that i need now is a chance to prove my skills and experiences, even what i didnt be trained at school, lol.