'Father of tourism' slams Phuket greed

webfact

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't claim to understand all that is involved in deciding how taxis work in the various provinces and towns.

Howerver I do know that Chiang Rai had only songtaeows and tuk tuks for many years. While they are still there and provide a generally decent service none of them had meters or posted prices. Then one day a couple of years ago suddenly FIFTY nice brand new Toyota taxis with meters appeared. Naturally the tuk tuk guys complained but some pointed out that the samlors...tuk tuk with pedal power and no engine also complained when the motorized tuk tuks had appeared years before.

Now in Chiang Rai we have a very nice taxi service that has expanded already to more than sixty new cars and so far in my experience they all USE the meters and run a good operation. The only hassle is that the CR airport still allows some private car monopoly and they do not allow the metered taxis to pick up at the airport...but..the taxis can and do sit just outside the airport entrance....and yes we still have all the tuk tuks and songtaeows who still seem busy as well.

So...the point is that somehow someone brought in an entire fleet of taxis in one day and runs it properly with nice clean new a/c taxis with meters. The customers are almost all Thai who seem to enjoy being able to take a metered taxi rather than a songtaeow especially in rainy/hot weather after shopping etc.

How is it that a small town like CR can control the taxis but a big "important" place like Phuket continues to allow the tuk tuk mafia to run rampant creating horrible problems, horrible press, and rip off prices higher than a NYC taxi? Maybe the powers that be should look to little rural Chiang Rai to learn a few things?

• Like 2

“Central to fixing Phuket’s woes, he said in the interview, “is cleaning up the messiness along the island’s beaches.

Can't agree that this is central. There are plenty of decent beach areas around the island.

Key problems are the tuk tuk, taxi and jet ski scams and ripoffs. Add to these increasing violence and criminality and you have far greater threats to tourism than a messy beach.

• Like 1

I'm not sure about getting rid of the discos... That is a huge draw for people.

But keeping the beach clean and slamming the tuk-tuk mafia scum bags is a must.

The best part, he didn't spout a bunch of cover-up bullshit about foreign (russian) businesses taking money away from Thai. I like this guy.

As someone who has written about sustainable tourism development around the world for many years, I find Khun Wichit's words a very welcone breath of fresh air, and his mention of the total lack of planning was music to my ears. What Thailand needs to do is to understand they are killing the fatted calf through short-sighted policies, and that clients will go elsewhere unless things improve. Official denials of obvious realities do not fool industry professionals or potential clients. Would be great for Thailand if Khun Wichit became Tourism Mnister, because he is just what is needed!smile.png

Writing about tourism development would seem to endow one with a desire to research thoroughly before advocating a man for tourism minister based on a single interview--which is more of a press release than an interview--where he appears not to have been asked any insightful or qualifying questions.

Perhaps you are so certain he is "just what is needed" based on your thorough research so let's hear why with your self proclaimed mantel of expertise you have reached this conclusion about his abilities.

He offered nothing substantive beyond the beach as core attraction is losing its attractiveness, and all he did was complain without a single proposed course of action.

If you approached a private- or public-sector tourism client advocating this man to spearhead a tourism program as the father of Phuket tourism, and the client then visited Phuket to evaluate the destination of this man you advocate, do you actually believe the client would want the father of what Phuket has become to parent his destination?

This man has had generations as a key influence as a primary destination stakeholder with an elite family heritage and the best he can do is issue a press release saying the beach is getting dirty? Not the kind of executive that any DMCs or Tourism Ministers worth their salt would engage.

Hes been running tourist businesses since year dor. Its him and his ilk that are part of the problem. Its only now its hurting his pocket he mentions it

Amen! Clear-headed observation always welcome! You may find that eventually the beaches at his hotels have finally gotten shoddy and he wants somebody to clean them for him rather than him paying for it.

Respect to Khun Wichit indeed !

Finally admitting the mess caused by greed!

FINALLY some self critic!!

Way to go...

In my very humble opinion, Phuket is THE example (like Patthaya) how to destruct a paradise spot by "human GREED"!

Money...

Even though this sounds like a good start and a glimmer of hope for Phuket, I read between the lines that the core and most pressing issues, like Tuk Tuk and taxi mafia, the parking situations, IMPACT of LOCALS on TOURISTS (i.e. bludgeoning, stabbing, beating, head-on collisioning them to death), safety, water, waste, etc. will remain virtually ignored. It takes a little more than beach cleanups, whining about people's greed and pointing out previous achievements to clean up and reinvent Phuket and restore confidence not only in Phuket as a tourism destination but Thailand as a whole.

Excellent post and identification of the real issues. Cleaning the beaches is so far down the list of real priorities but he can say this as it is directed at no one in particular.

Thank you very much, Halion!

Up to 1983 the mantra was that we will never build higher than the coconut trees in Patong.
Sometime after this the local powers that be, decided to throw this informal code out of the window.
They know who they are, and so do a few others, my question is today do they now wish to save Patong, and in turn Phuket.
The way things have been heading anybody would have thought that Patong's role model was Pattaya, but now the tables have turned, with Pattaya's role model being Patong.

Phuket's issues have been created by the people of Phuket, nobody can seriously expect Bangkok at this late stage to interfere let alone resolve them.

Where there's a will there's a way.
The first objective is to establish a will.
Is Phuket worth saving?
Can Phuket save itself?
How bad does Phuket have to become, before it's too late and sinks below the tourist horizon.

“Central to fixing Phuket’s woes, he said in the interview, “is cleaning up the messiness along the island’s beaches.

Can't agree that this is central. There are plenty of decent beach areas around the island.

Key problems are the tuk tuk, taxi and jet ski scams and ripoffs. Add to these increasing violence and criminality and you have far greater threats to tourism than a messy beach.

I agree, but fixing the beach creates an orderly atmosphere. I'm sure you've heard of the broken window theory, which says if a window is broke and remains so, it looks as though people don't care and sets a precedent for people to break other windows.

Cleaning up the beaches will help demonstrate that the rule of law is in effect.

Nobody is listening and they wont. Asean is just around the corner imagine all the filipinos coming in and taking the good jobs because they can. A they speak English B They are nearer home its going to be INTERESTING!!!!!!!!

Edited by McFarang

He must be well connected to issue criticism of the powers that be on Phuket whilst simultaneously running some big businesses there.

He runs big businesses, and is therefore well connected and able to issue criticisms.

Agreed with your comment, just not its order. laugh.png wai2.gif

Phuket's success as a tin mining centre and the islands wealth is in part do to the Na- Ranong family and Phuket's economy. The name is originally Khaw and immigrants from China. Na-Ranong is a noble title given from the King of Siam after the death of Khaw Sim Bee which there is a statue of on top of Khao Rang Hill.

If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed.

Taking that into consideration, the question begs to be asked, "What does a greedy man do when he finds himself on the outside looking in at all the other people eating large portions of the pie?"

• Like 1

If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed.

Taking that into consideration, the question begs to be asked, "What does a greedy man do when he finds himself on the outside looking in at all the other people eating large portions of the pie?"

Spot on!

"If he is the father of Thai tourism, and by my own belief Thais are greedy, then logic dictates that he is also the father of greed."

That may be your belief,and you're entitled to that, but that doesn't automatically make it logical or factual in any way.

To be a successful businessman doesn't automatically or logically make him greedy IMO.

He obviously didn't get to where he is by not being smart, and as a smart businessman he can see the potential disaster looming for Phuket and is speaking out about it,and being a smart businessman entails making an attempt to rectify the situation ..sure its for his own good as well as others, but greedy???

Edited by andreandre
  • Like 2

I don't want to poor scorn on what this bloke says as I agree with most of it, but...

But people's greed has grown, which has resulted in their good-heartedness shrivelling and criminality growing.

According to the owners of the supermarket that is up on the left in soi Cokmakham in Rawai (the soi opposite Nikita's restaurant on the beach), the land opposite the supermarket - on the east side of the soi - is owned by this man. And all that land has now been fenced off. So no parking there any more while visiting the supermarket and almost impossible to turn around in the soi. A lot of premises in that soi with wide access have now put down items to stop vehicles turning round.

The supermarket owners said they offered to rent some land opposite their supermarket as a car park, but he wasn't interested.

Yes, I know it's his land and he can do what he wants with it. Flame on!

In Thailand, once you let people in, it can be very difficult to get them out again!

Like what he has said but its like this everywhere these day in Thailand ....

The beach here in Chiang Mai is OK,

What gets me is all these experts on what is wrong with Thailand who have never set foot out of a tourist zone. As far as greed goes what is the difference between them and the Thai. They took every nickel they could get from their employer irregardless of his feelings.

Now the shoe is on the other foot they are the employer and bitching about the Thai doing the same thing they do at work or when they were working.

Unlike the Thai many of them were/are spineless and got a union to do it for them.

Flame away.

• Like 1

"general disorganisation, with deteriorating environment: dirty and unorganised beach area, airport congestion, traffic jams, negative impact on local people and other problems." Nice try, but no cigar. As others have pointed out, it is the total rip off, mafia, criminal police, scam and/or steal all you can from the visitors or residents that is the problem. What he is talking about is akin to "face": all surface appearances. What needs to be fixed is "heart": the feeling of welcome, caring, and treating a stranger as a friend. I have been to many places that had poor infrastructure, but the people had heart. I would go to those places again, in spite of any material shortcomings. But here.... they just don't get it, and won't or can't listen. They can't fix a problem if they won't acknowledge it exists.

Like what he has said but its like this everywhere these day in Thailand ....

I was told that using algebra you could logically prove 1+1=1

He is indeed a wise man he knows that if you clean up the crime and Mafias on the Island but let the beaches continually deteriorate the tourists will stop coming.

Clean up the beaches and the tourists will keep coming and more than likely increase. This would result in more money to put into eliminating Mafia related actions.Which of course will never be entirely eliminated there or any other place in the world but they could lesson it. Build a decent infrastructure for getting around the Island. A reliable inexpensive transit system.

But the first thing they have to do is keep the tourists coming. That will give employment to many honest hard working Thais. No tourists no work for a large percentage of the population on the island. It is not rocket science.

"general disorganisation, with deteriorating environment: dirty and unorganised beach area, airport congestion, traffic jams, negative impact on local people and other problems." Nice try, but no cigar. As others have pointed out, it is the total rip off, mafia, criminal police, scam and/or steal all you can from the visitors or residents that is the problem. What he is talking about is akin to "face": all surface appearances. What needs to be fixed is "heart": the feeling of welcome, caring, and treating a stranger as a friend. I have been to many places that had poor infrastructure, but the people had heart. I would go to those places again, in spite of any material shortcomings. But here.... they just don't get it, and won't or can't listen. They can't fix a problem if they won't acknowledge it exists.

Well I like your post it does have heart. Which would indeed help matters. But you overlook the fact that all you say is true and needs work on.

In my opinion what you said here "general disorganization, with deteriorating environment: dirty and unorganized beach area, airport congestion"

Are the most important things. Left with out attention they are what will kill the tourism in Phuket. The vary fact that the airport is congested proves that the tourists are coming in large numbers.