tips for driving an automatic?

sms747

I had not driven for over 20 years and never an auto before trying out our car (new vios) and was surprised how poorly I did, it was like being a learner again. The main problem was I felt more that the car was in control of me rather than me the car. I was using two feet of course but the mrs kept nagging me to use one, that feels unnatural and not as quick. Should one foot really be used? is it a safety issue or a mechanical one? Any other advice? maybe I should take a few lessons?

Edited by sms747

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use both feet driving an automatic, especially in heavy traffic. I'm of the opinion that my reaction time is quicker since my left foot is already real close to the brake. I don't keep it on the brake pedal, but it can get to the brake pedal just about as quick as my right foot comes off the gas pedal.

Twice in my life, I have gone for the clutch on my automatic and found myself slowing down really quickly. But just twice in over a million miles of driving.

I've been told it's a bad habit, but it works well for me.

Left foot on the dashboard. smile.png It should never be used for driving with an automatic.

For most purpose they drive themselves. In mountains descending hills I prefer to drop to 3rd in a toyota vigo auto as that way you have some engine braking.

OP: Press the accelerator pedal (on the right in the foot well) and the car will move forward, the more you press the faster the car will go. Ease off the acc paddle and the car will slow down, sorry just being sarcastic. biggrin.png

I also only uses my right foot but no doubt the double foot system is quicker but you need a lot of practice (which should not be done on the road but on a race track or places with no traffic).

Before I moved to Thailand I had only driven manual transmission cars but I found it very easy to drive auto. Since I don't own a fast sports car I don't fell the need for manual trans (ever again).

Driving an auto with the right foot is better for normal diving conditions. Conventional autos with Torque converters take away a little control and response but the driver can adapt, anticipate and use the brakes more.

Left foot braking is good for some vehicles and some situations but it is not a good idea for drivers getting used to an auto. Some autos will drop out of gear if the brake and throttle are down at the same time.

I use both feet driving an automatic, especially in heavy traffic. I'm of the opinion that my reaction time is quicker since my left foot is already real close to the brake. I don't keep it on the brake pedal, but it can get to the brake pedal just about as quick as my right foot comes off the gas pedal.

Twice in my life, I have gone for the clutch on my automatic and found myself slowing down really quickly. But just twice in over a million miles of driving.

Bad advice imho...

What if you need to make an emergency stop and instead of release the accellerator and brake you push both?

My advice for a beginner: keep your left foot as far away from the pedals as possible and use right foot only!

Surely you are just as likely to do this in a manual car?

Left foot braking is good for some vehicles and some situations but it is not a good idea for drivers getting used to an auto.

It's the only way to get a decent launch in a standard low-stall torque converter though :P

Left foot braking is good for some vehicles and some situations but it is not a good idea for drivers getting used to an auto.

It's the only way to get a decent launch in a standard low-stall torque converter though tongue.png

Yep, loading up the torque converter for a quick launch is one of the situations I was thinking of. Does not work with autos with an interlock on engine speed but handbrake can be OK if it is strong enough.

Either technique is probably best left until reasonably experienced with automatics.

Edited by Jitar

Yep, loading up the torque converter for a quick launch is one of the situations I was thinking of.

Does not work with autos with an interlock on engine speed though. Handbrake can be OK if it is strong enough. Either technique is probably best left until reasonably experienced with automatics.

Haven't these young ones ever heard of heel and toe? smile.png

I could bake the tires off of my mom's '64 big-block Grand Prix power-braking it with one foot.

Keeping your left foot an the floor (or on the foot REST) provides better balance and control. If you truly think two feet is faster, sit down and see how fast you can pick both feet at the same time, and compare that to how fast and easy you can pick up just your right foot.

maybe I should take a few lessons?

Absolutely definitely if you haven't driven for 20 years. You will be so very rusty in many aspects of safe driving practice. Probably inparticular cockpit procedure before driving and mirror use.

As others have said, right foot only for driving an auto.

Which foot do you use to brake normally or in an emergency in a manual?

Same, same for an auto!

Tie a length of rope around your left ankle, give the other end to the passenger to hold tight so you can't move you're foot!

Lancashirelad. 25 years on the UK Approved Driving Instructors register.

Edited by Lancashirelad

• 1 month later...

Bad advice imho...

What if you need to make an emergency stop and instead of release the accellerator and brake you push both?

My advice for a beginner: keep your left foot as far away from the pedals as possible and use right foot only!

Surely you are just as likely to do this in a manual car?

Sorry, i didnt see this was a question to my comment.

In a manual car the left foot will go no farther than the clutch and the right foot will move away from the accellerator to hit the brake

Having is discussion at all means that a few driving lessons are a worthwhile investment

Bad advice imho...

Wrong. I always have used two feet in an auto. One foot for each pedal smile.png , why use one foot when you have two rolleyes.gif . Response time if a problem is far quicker when you have ''taught'' each tootsie it's job. Easy really, but if some here can't control each tootsie to do it's job, well, that is your problem. laugh.png

PS. My drag strip ride was auto, I used it on the street too where two feet were definitely needed. whistling.gif ......w00t.gif

Edited by transam
  • Like 1

Bad advice imho...

Wrong. I always have used two feet in an auto. One foot for each pedal smile.png , why use one foot when you have two rolleyes.gif . Response time if a problem is far quicker when you have ''taught'' each tootsie it's job. Easy really, but if some here can't control each tootsie to do it's job, well, that is your problem. laugh.png

The 'two foot' approach is for racing / rally drivers... heel and toe etc... that said there is no reason why the use of left-foot breaking can not be taken to street level. But not by inexperienced drivers.

Think of the amount of inexperienced motorcycle riders who lock up their front wheel when emergency breaking. Well, in an emergency situation in a car you would have inexperienced drivers hitting break and accelerator at the same time.

For this reason logic has prevailed and driving instructors everywhere teach that the break is only to be applied with the right foot.

Suggesting anything else to an inexperienced driver is a little daft IMO.

Bad advice imho...

The 'two foot' approach is for racing / rally drivers... heel and toe etc... that said there is no reason why the use of left-foot breaking can not be taken to street level. But not by inexperienced drivers.

Think of the amount of inexperienced motorcycle riders who lock up their front wheel when emergency breaking. Well, in an emergency situation in a car you would have inexperienced drivers hitting break and accelerator at the same time.

For this reason logic has prevailed and driving instructors everywhere teach that the break is only to be applied with the right foot.

Suggesting anything else to an inexperienced driver is a little daft IMO.

Just like they ''tell/teach'' you to hold the steering wheel at 10 minutes to 2, who does in real life? rolleyes.gif

Two feet on the pedals will get uncomfy after a while? And i wouldn´t say that it is more safe (faster) to use both feet. I would be afraid to mess up my two pedals in a stressy situation! But if you can handle that, why not, you´re in a free country. At least regarding the style of your driving.

I dind´t learn how to drive automatic cars in the german driving school back then. Standard is manual and if you want to drive auto then you have to apply for it. But theres a catch to it: the licencse will ONLY be valid for automatic cars. Because on thing is for sure, if you´re good with the stick biggrin.png an auto is easy to handle. But that doesn´t apply vice versa.

Yep, loading up the torque converter for a quick launch is one of the situations I was thinking of.

It's a Vios!

Now back to normal everyday driving,

I had not driven for over 20 years and never an auto before trying out our car (new vios) and was surprised how poorly I did, it was like being a learner again. The main problem was I felt more that the car was in control of me rather than me the car. I was using two feet of course but the mrs kept nagging me to use one, that feels unnatural and not as quick. Should one foot really be used? is it a safety issue or a mechanical one? Any other advice? maybe I should take a few lessons?

Use your right foot only. One pedal for go, one pedal for stop.

The difference is that

A there is no gearbox to worry about so the foot that did that job should be left on the rest provided for that purpose. If you not an ex kart racer don't start using a foot that was not used for braking before.

B Auto does not have as much engine braking as a manual, some almost none so in traffic it may be unnerving when you take your foot off the gas and nothing happens. So keep a little more distance at first.

C You have to have the vehicle in park, with foot on the brake to start the engine, It may start in drive but you'll still need your foot on the brake.

Also there is a small slot or button near the gear selector so that you can move the vehicle out of park if the battery fails or if you want to leave the vehicle in neutral in a Thai parking lot so it can be pushed around, Usually you stick the key in the slot (say Honda). I would buy a blank key and stick it in the glove box but...

That´s true facepalm.gif , most of the time i rest my clutch foot on the footrest as you´re not suppoes to leave it on the pedal anyway. But aren´t the pedals more close to each other than in a manual making it less comfortable? Gotta try that this evening.......

But if you drove a manual you might mistake the brake for the clutch one day if you use the two feet option. Just my opinion, every1 is free to decide how to drive. Maybe i´m just not used to the thought of using two feet in an auto, i made this mistake the first time i drove an auto and it felt wrong and i aslo messed up the braking.

Edited by I knew this would happen
  • Like 1