Thailand denies paying Tony Blair over US$640,000 fee to attend unity forum

webfact

Thailand denies paying Tony Blair £410,000 fee to attend unity forum
Blair to attend on 'pro bono basis' forum Thai opposition says costs too much and fears may be used to rewrite constitution
Kate Hodal in Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- The Thai deputy prime minister has denied paying Tony Blair 20m baht (£410,000) for participating in a reconciliation forum next month in Bangkok, despite a local news report claiming that the latter's attendance would cost that much in fees and expenses.

Blair will instead see only his travel and accommodation costs covered, Thailand's ministry of foreign affairs told the Guardian, in keeping with most other speakers.

The former British prime minister is one of a number of high-profile leaders to be invited to discuss peace and negotiation at the Uniting for the Future forum in September. Joining him on stage will be Priscilla Hayner, an expert in truth commissions and transitional justice, and Martti Ahtisaari, the former Finnish president and Nobel laureate who is noted for his international peace work. The former UN secretary general Kofi Annan declined the invitation.

The Thai prime minister, Yingluck Shinawatra, has said the forum, which is to include local and foreign leaders, could help "introduce a positive and forward-looking climate" to Thailand, which deeply divided between those who support her government and those who fear her party is merely attempting to bring back her brother and former premier Thaksin.

Thaksin is a deeply divisive figure who has been living in self-imposed exile since he was ousted in a military coup in 2006 and charged with conflict of interest. A recent amnesty bill absolving those arrested, charged and prosecuted for any political activities after the coup triggered thousands to protest in the streets in Bangkok last week, amid fears that the legislation would pave the way for Thaksin's return.

Next month's forum has been condemned by Thailand's opposition party, which claims it is costing too much money and may be used to rewrite the constitution.

Full story: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/aug/16/thailand-denies-paying-tony-blair-fee-forum

-- The Guardian 2013-08-17

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sure it would be fairly easy to assess how much he would get paid: Here are a couple of options, and this is dependent on Blair not doing it out of the goodness of his heart:

1) Ask him (although he has been known to fabricate things)

2) Find out how much he was paid recently to go to the World Economic Forum in Myanmar(i may be wrong but i think i have actually read it somewhere)

3) Wait until the Daily Mail raise hell about it

4) Wait for him to file a tax return

Of course he's being paid....his regular fee would be in the vicinity of $500K for a talk....$8900/hour as reported in the int. press last night....

If the media here have the nerve to ask him about it he will dodge the issue or completely deny it but as soon as he opens his mouth ... !

• Like 1

Drop a zero off any of these numbers and your get a typical appearance fee.

So 50,000 £ would be about right for a long travel related.

Bush the lesser gets $50,000-75,000 speaking or appearance fees, same for Clinton.

Other cabinet or retired senator types get in the $25-35k range.

But adding that zero, only implies it is a distasteful dias to sit on and is an 'embarrassment fee',

and one the hosts would not want known; ie They desperately want legitimacy,

so are paying much extra moolah to get it at their table.

Appearances before all else being a Thai thing most westerners don't get.

Even Robert Mugabe, can't spend enough to get most people to sit with him.

But some will, like Thaksin, so I imagine that Kuhn T would back exorbitant embarrassment fees,

so he can appear to make face and legitimacy for his spurious arguments.

Edited by animatic
  • Like 1

Bush the lesser gets $50,000-75,000 speaking or appearance fees, same for Clinton.

But adding that zero, only implies it is a distasteful dias to sit on and is an 'embarrassment fee',

But some will, like Thaksin, so I imagine that Kuhn T would back exorbitant embarrassment fees,

I think you need to put the Zero's back on.

• Like 1

Maybe I missed it, but who is the deputy prime minister who is denying that Blair is being paid 410,000 pounds? The last government spokesman mentioned cost to get Blair to speak, would include transport, security, expenses while here, etc.

This government says many things that are not a answer to the real question, but a lot of muttering to a topic that does not relate to the realist/real cost of their various programs/scams.

What is the total cost to get Blair to attend and return him home, to the Thai government? As has been noted time and again, "make it simple". Granted I left out 'stupid' but not sure which party it should apply to, maybe all three.

Is that all this is about... if its the fear that the Yingluck government is wanting to bring Thaksin back then just issue a statement that states

i) the government has no plans or desires to bring Thaksin back

ii) the exception to this would be to serve his jail term for his conviction

iii) to demonstrate this his passport and visa's are cancelled and we have requested formal extradition proceedings begin.

iv) he is no longer welcome nor will be sought out to participate via skype or any other media on party policy

Simple.. why have a conference to try and stem the divide just issue a statement and act on it.

How much is a private jet to get him to Thailand and back? +Super Luxery accommodation, high cost restaurants, etc. He will likely travel with a P.A., then we need to include security etc.. Me thinks 640k is not completely unfathomable. I guess his actual "fee" is somewhere around 200k, assuming a couple days "work".

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

For Bush the lesser, but more double the fee top I mentioned.

"$100,000 and $150,000, and Bush has delivered almost 140 paid talks since leaving the Oval Office, the Center for Public Integrity reported.

"I find it puzzling," Stanford University historian Robert Dallek told the center's iWatch News.

"He says he wants to keep a low profile. What is he doing except enriching himself?

"It sounds like it's self-serving," he added. "It's following the good old American adage to make as much as you can."

Bush told GQ magazine in 2007 that he planned on hitting the speaker circuit,

just like his old man, who he said made more than $50,000 to $75,000 a speech.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/george-w-bush-rakes-15-million-speaking-fees-leaving-office-report-article-1.143215#ixzz2cC1oiMIZ "

His father is square in the ball park I mention.

Bill Clinton still runs high paid speeches averaging $189,000 per event.

But he is the most recent Dem Ex-Pres and a master speech maker.

Hillary may be making 200K a speech, but she is currently a presidential front runner for 2013

" Al Gore, former vice president — $156,000

A half-hour lecture at a fundraiser held in London’s Royal Courts of Justice brought the former VP $156,000, according to MSN. His speaker’s contract from 2007 with the Harry Walker agency, which also represents another former vice president Dick Cheney, requires a payment of “$100,000, plus travel, hotel, security, and per diem expenses.” "

Still pretty clear Cheney is in the 75k range

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/11/hillary-clinton-isnt-alone-former-politicians-rake-it-in-on-speaker-circuit/

For Bush the lesser, but more double the fee top I mentioned.

"$100,000 and $150,000, and Bush has delivered almost 140 paid talks since leaving the Oval Office, the Center for Public Integrity reported.

"I find it puzzling," Stanford University historian Robert Dallek told the center's iWatch News.

"He says he wants to keep a low profile. What is he doing except enriching himself?

"It sounds like it's self-serving," he added. "It's following the good old American adage to make as much as you can."

Bush told GQ magazine in 2007 that he planned on hitting the speaker circuit,

just like his old man, who he said made more than $50,000 to $75,000 a speech.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/george-w-bush-rakes-15-million-speaking-fees-leaving-office-report-article-1.143215#ixzz2cC1oiMIZ "

His father is square in the ball park I mention.

Bill Clinton still runs high paid speeches averaging $189,000 per event.

But he is the most recent Dem Ex-Pres and a master speech maker.

Hillary may be making 200K a speech, but she is currently a presidential front runner for 2013

" Al Gore, former vice president — $156,000

A half-hour lecture at a fundraiser held in London’s Royal Courts of Justice brought the former VP $156,000, according to MSN. His speaker’s contract from 2007 with the Harry Walker agency, which also represents another former vice president Dick Cheney, requires a payment of “$100,000, plus travel, hotel, security, and per diem expenses.” "

Still pretty clear Cheney is in the 75k range

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/07/11/hillary-clinton-isnt-alone-former-politicians-rake-it-in-on-speaker-circuit/

But no matter how you cut it 410,000£ / $627,368. for Blair is deeply into fantasyland.

So Thailand picks a person that has been charged and found guilty of war crimes as a speaker for democracy. What a class act!

Obviously the Thai government has an agenda and it won't be for the benefit of the country.

Here's your money and here's what we want you to say. khap khun maak!

• Like 2

I wouldn't put it past Blair trying to charge that kind of money, he wrecked the country then wandered out the door to make himself a multi millionaire leaving the rest of us with the bills.

He and his horrible grasping wife were a blight on Britain, I can't believe anyone takes him seriously.

dont worry bleth.it wont happen here its rumoured he's off to bagdad first.cheesy.gif

The man who ruined England with its immigration policies and absurd political correctness will never do anything out of the goodness of his heart. Of course he gets paid!!!

He is just a typical moneygrabbing lying hypocritical UK politician. You will recognise him as a liar as soon as his mouth opens.