Why are we subjected to 90 reporting?

Today was my 90 day reporting day. Off to immigration to let the government of Thailand know that I still reside at the same address with my wife and son. Same address I've been at for years. Great.

But today, as I sat in the 1 hour queue to pass in my 4 pages of documentation and my passport, I did some thinking:

What if I just lied about where I lived? Honestly, for all the bureaucracy involved, I seriously doubt if any of these address reports are followed up -- unless, we have a Criminal Foreigner among us. And how often is that compare to Thai criminality and the recent spat of Thai on foreigner violent (and consequential death of the foreign victims). Perhaps all Thai males should have to register with the government every 90 days so that it is easier to track down criminality in Thai community -- especially that directed toward foreigners.

Truthfully, I just don't understand why foreigners who are residing in the country, supporting a family or supporting the local community with their retirement funds -- why are we singled out?

In comparison, in America, in the State of Georgia, a convicted Sexual Offender must report to the state every 90 days after that individual has been paroled. So -- you and I and countless other honest, financially solvent, foreigners who add a significant amount of support to the local communities that we reside in, are comparatively equal to a Sex Offender from the State of Georgia in the United States.

Think about that?

• Like 1

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great thinking there. I agree with most of what you write. The only response I would or could think of, is that

there is so much bad foreigners of all the kind and sorts possible coming here. And all of us normal guys had to suffer of course

because of their presence here!!....

Glegolo

Ah diddums...

I'm assuming you want sources?

http://www.arbeslaw.com/how-parole-works.html

No - I'm just continually amazed that anyone expects the law to be the same in a foreign land as it is in their own. How easy do you think it would for your average Thai male to live legally in the USA?

Here, noooooooooooo farang gets handouts, not a single baht. We only put in. Different story for foreigners who go to farangland.

Don't you think taking care of a Thai national and perhaps family, providing a house and schooling for the kids with farang money is enough. ?

• Like 2

Ah diddums...

No - I'm just continually amazed that anyone expects the law to be the same in a foreign land as it is in their own. How easy do you think it would for your average Thai male to live legally in the USA?

Here, noooooooooooo farang gets handouts, not a single baht. We only put in. Different story for foreigners who go to farangland.

Don't you think taking care of a Thai national and perhaps family, providing a house and schooling for the kids with farang money is enough. ?

Apparently not.

Hoop jumping is also required.

• Like 2

Ah diddums...

Don't you think taking care of a Thai national and perhaps family, providing a house  and schooling for the kids with farang money is enough. ?

Apparently not.

Hoop jumping is also required.

And a steadily increasing number of foreigners has to comply, and does. So it is not a deterrant.

Why should they change it? They just want to keep track of foreigners in their country. I see nothing wrong with that.

Sent from my I-405 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Ah diddums...

The question I asked was: How easy do you think it would be for your average Thai man to get a visa to live in the USA (or in the UK for that matter)?

• Like 1

And if the law required you to wear an arm band in public so that everyone could see you were a foreigner you would do that as well, because it's the law. The laws don't make sense, nor have they ever helped catch any criminals (criminals don't give their address to the people that are after them). This law is either a relic for from the long distant past or an indication thailand is more similiar to North Korea than people want to admit.

• Like 2

Immigration Act B.E. 2522
5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office... In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General
You start to change the law you may get the changes you want and maybe changes you don't want.
Edited by JLCrab
  • Like 2

Perhaps we should be required to wear a 'Star' sewn to our outer garments.

But they don't require anything extraordinary from Sexual Offenders in Georgia other than to report to the government every 90 days just like foreigners must do in Thailand.

And if the law required you to wear an arm band in public so that everyone could see you were a foreigner you would do that as well, because it's the law. The laws don't make sense, nor have they ever helped catch any criminals (criminals don't give their address to the people that are after them). This law is either a relic for from the long distant past or an indication thailand is more similiar to North Korea than people want to admit.

Does the law actually require you to wear an armband? If and when it does then you may have a point. If you want the Thai authorities to change the immigration laws you ought be careful what you wish for. You may get much worse that the requirement to pop into Immigration or write a letter every 3 months.

• Like 1

Immigration Act B.E. 2522
5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office... In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General
You start to change the law you may get the changes you want and maybe changes you don't want.

It wouldn't be so bad if that law (and maybe others) was applied consistently.

Notably, I am referring to reporting by post - not acceptable in some offices. Yet the 'law' is 100% clear.

Based on the reports here about tightening of Visa application procedures in US and UK it would seems that changes or amendments to the Immigration Act 2522 might just as likely be stricter rather than more lenient.

Today was my 90 day reporting day.  Off to immigration to let the government of Thailand know that I still reside at the same address with my wife and son.  Same address I've been at for years.   Great. ..

Look at the title of the form you submitted. The indication of your address was merely incidental to your notification of staying in Thailand longer than 90 days since your last arrival or your last notification.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Could always just go with the .... its their country and if we want to live here as guests, then we follow their laws and whatever hoops they want us jump. We are all free to go back to our own countries.

Yeah, yeah, of course we jump the hoops but that doesn't preclude KVETCHING about it!

post-37101-0-65394800-1377724033_thumb.j

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

@ Sustento Reply to Post No 5

I'm not speaking for America,but the UK allows Spouses into the Country on 2 year and 3 months Settlement Visas,and they never have to check in to the UKBA,Home Office,or Police,for the whole term,of residence,which in general leads on to permanent residence into the UK,whereby the nearest they will ever get to a Check in,is when they pick up their Citizenship Certificate,and later on British Passport Application Interview!

In answer to your question,providing the Immigration conditions are complied with,it's pretty straight forward,for most applicants to obtain a UK Visa.
IMHO excessive check ins,are xenophobic nonsense,!

Edit for spelling error!

Edited by metisdead
Turn off the bold font button when posting.
  • Like 2

so you're a smart person getting to live the expat life? aparently :)

so you wanna follow a stupid rule? up to you!

ever though what happened if you dont report every 90 days? umm for one you could travel out of the magic kingdom within 90 days of your yearly permit to stay extension which would give you a nice breath of fresh air :) you could even report a false address and feel like the late 007 :P

ohh no they will catch you bad boy...if they dont find you at your wrongly reported address they will definitely catch you next time you do 90day reporting no? 555555555555555555+

ever heard of the german police reports? probably a result of some 1930s brilliant idea and I suspect most local residents DO report their new addresses in person on paper as of 2013 :D

thanks for this brilliant post!

<deleted>! Hands up those who are quite happy to be referred to as "The Alien" ? and please don't tell tell me it's a Thai term of affection!

'Alien' is a legal term for a person in a country who is not a citizen of that country. That's all. It's not something from Star Trek.

In the UK an 'alien' is someone who is not a British citizen.

In the USA an 'alien' is 'anyone who is not a citizen or a national' of the United States.

http://www.diffen.com/difference/Alien_vs_Immigrant

Edited by sustento
  • Like 2