Why are we subjected to 90 reporting?

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand has some of the easiest immigration laws. At least the OP is allowed here, how many Thais are refused visas to the US etc.

Often for good reason.

Such as ?

High rate of visa overstay.

High rate of illegal working at legal jobs.

High rate of illegal working at illegal jobs.

Is that enough info?

Where is the evidence for what is alleged to be found ?

Same can be said for farangs living in LOS!

Depends on how you define high.

In equal measure at least, I strongly suspect. Look at all the posters who have come on this forum and bragged about overstaying for example! They may well just be the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by OJAS

I lived in Thailand from 1974 to 1980 and then came back in 1994 and have been here ever since. There was no 90 day reporting back in the 1970s. I think the law said one had to report but it was not enforced.

When I returned in 1994 I think for the first two years (94-95) I did not have to report. Then from 1996 onwards I had to. Some people I know were really caught out and copped massive fines at 200 baht/day. Imagine their surprise when they turned up to get their yearly visa and found out that they had not reported in at all for a whole year.

One of the reasons I took out PR.

The reason I have thought from my first one is to convey the constant message: who be the b-word and who be the Massuh. Don't you forget it.

Sorry but that's nonsense. In almost every other way the farang in Thailand appear to be the masters and Thais are serving them.

Who gets the best medical care and eats in the nice restaurants and gets to "buy" a night or more with some sexy boy/girl or buys imported food or puts their children in the (allegedly) better schools ... In so many ways, Thais are looked upon as both servants and subservient to the pampered farang.

As far as coming here to support a wife and children is concerned, that's a very self-serving gesture. If you want to play at being the great benefactor, stay home and send money to Oxfam.

I suppose some people would only feel comfortable if we reverted to the old colonial approach:

post-145917-0-05759100-1377757096_thumb.

post-145917-0-29822400-1377757112_thumb.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

The reason I have thought from my first one is to convey the constant message: who be the b-word and who be the Massuh. Don't you forget it.

Sorry but that's nonsense. In almost every other way the farang in Thailand appear to be the masters and Thais are serving them.

Who gets the best medical care and eats in the nice restaurants and gets to "buy" a night or more with some sexy boy/girl or buys imported food or puts their children in the (allegedly) better schools ... In so many ways, Thais are looked upon as both servants and subservient to the pampered farang.

I suppose some people would only feel comfortable if we reverted to the old colonial approach:

You've twisted my post's meaning. I never said servant.

Edited by Jingthing

Where is the evidence for what is alleged to be found ?

Contact the U.S. ambassador. Above my pay grade, mate.

Would not surprise me in the slightest were his Thai counterpart in Washington to say exactly the same thing about you Americans!

Has the requirement and process changed from when you arrived and extended, presume on basis of retirement or marriage? Perhaps it is you and your disposition that has changed, not the requirement.

At present, 90-reporting is one of a few hallmarks that we civilized, advanced people might equate to banana republics, 3rd/developing worlds, xenophia, etc.

I wonder what we'll call it when our own homelands (eventually) adopt same or similar policies? I would expect a massive round of applause for it in certain western countries at the moment, as the outcry for protectionist, nationalistic policies increase for multitude of reasons we already know, so I won't list them out.

Ironically then, very old Asian cultures may look on with vindicated smirks and say, "About time you kids figured it out".

• Like 1

So the 90 day reporting law came into effect in 2522,and like many Thai laws it

was not enforced for quiet a few years, BUT you did have to do a Tax clearance

thing before leaving the country,so they dropped that and now strictly enforce

the 90 day reporting.

Its not a big problem really,just make sure you enter the reporting date on a

big calender ,within easy view,so you don't forget to report ,as then its going

to cost you money.

We are just guests here and are obliged to follow whatever rules,laws the Govt

thinks up.

regards Worgeordie

you are not an immigrant if you have to report to immigration every 90 days and then beg every year for them to extend your right to stay)

Correct...and I would say 99.9% of foreigners in Thailand are not immigrants as much as they think they are and this is the key difference

((off-topic nonsense removed))

Edited by lopburi3

I was stationed in Thailand during the Vietnam war. I was there from 1972 until 1976 when the U.S. forces were leaving Thailand. The problem was, many GI's did not go home. Those that were eligible for retirement, retired and stayed in Thailand. Many just went to California and processed out of the military and came right back to Thailand. There were so many Americans still around, the Thai authorities didn't know who was there legally and who was not. After all the bases were closed down, the authorities looked around and saw so many foreigners were still living there. Most had overstayed any visas that they were on.

Then the Europeans showed up. To the Thai people the looked the same so they just figured they were still left overs.

Thailand had to move on. But, many of these Expats were living there with no income. They started a lot of bar business's with no permits. Many were drug addicts that knew they would not make it back home.

The Thai government had to do something. So, they began tracking these people. Those that were allowed to stay first were the one's supporting a Thai family. There was no retirement visa at the time. Everyone was doing visa runs. Many were fake or you just paid someone to do it for you.

To keep order and to know just who is living in the country legally or if someone has left, the 90 day reporting came into effect.

Now I may be wrong about some of the timeline, but you get the point.

I would love to have the same program in the USA, but that will never happen.

The short answer to the original post is that thems the rules.like it or not.In addition to that,you don't have to attend as it can be done by post.

"...you don't have to attend as it can be done by post."

It can not be done by mail in the region where I reside (see: TV thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/)

This just increases the daily chaos at this undersized and understaffed immigration office in one of Thailand largest cities that has an equally large expat community.

90 reporting by mail was an excellent idea. No wonder they decided to cancel the program -- my guess...it was too efficient.

Some great thinking there. I agree with most of what you write. The only response I would or could think of, is that

there is so much bad foreigners of all the kind and sorts possible coming here. And all of us normal guys had to suffer of course

because of their presence here!!....

Glegolo

Here I would disagree. Yes, in the resort towns, where no civilized person would live, there is a large number of misbehaving tourists - elsewhere, no problem.

It is the tourist that creates problems. It is the tourist that gives us a bad name. It is us, the permanent residents, who bring in the big bucks. You can estimate our support by using Thai figures (right or wrong), but a few years back, Thai Immigration reported that there were then 6 million foreigners on long term visas - work it out on minimum income requirement - we bring in 10 times more than the idiot tourists, yet there is a Ministry for Tourism and none for retirees..??

Governments everywhere in the world pass laws supposedly for the "benefit of the majority of the citizens" in their country.

Off topic, I know, but .....

Where's the sense of "benefit" for a Thai woman, getting-on in years, who suddenly finds that the foreign husband who's been with her a great many years & has supported her in every way in all that time, suddenly faces expulsion from the country because his fixed pension income no longer meets the requirements for renewal of an annual extension - maybe his 20th?

Husband returns to his country of origin and can no longer afford to support himself there AND support the wife he loves in Thailand. Result - two people who planned to live their final years together are separated through no fault of their own, just to satisfy some bureaucratic decision, and spend their old-age alone & unable to support themselves in the same way they could have if they'd been allowed to remain together.

OK, maybe they can both go to his country, but that's a different discussion.

Point of order:

@ Sustento Reply to Post No 5

I'm not speaking for America,but the UK allows Spouses into the Country on 2 year and 3 months Settlement Visas,and they never have to check in to the UKBA,Home Office,or Police,for the whole term,of residence,which in general leads on to permanent residence into the UK,whereby the nearest they will ever get to a Check in,is when they pick up their Citizenship Certificate,and later on British Passport Application Interview!

In answer to your question,providing the Immigration conditions are complied with,it's pretty straight forward,for most applicants to obtain a UK Visa.
IMHO excessive check ins,are xenophobic nonsense,!

Edit for spelling error!

Your information on UK settlement visas is out of date.

Initial visa; valid 33 months. Current fee £851.

After 30 months in UK apply for Further Leave to Remain; one of the requirements being proof of where you have been living for the entire period and that your British partner/spouse has been living there too. Current fee £578 by post or £953 in person

After a further 30 months (5 years in total) apply for Indefinite leave to Remain. Again proof of where you have been living, and that your British spouse/partner has been living there with you, for the entire period is required. Current fee £1051 by post or £1426 in person.

Financial requirement to be met at each stage; currently an income of at least £18,600 p.a (more if children are included in the application), cash savings of at least £62,500 (more if children are included in the application) (except at ILR where the minimum savings are currently £42,500, plus extra for children included in the application) or an acceptable combination of income and savings.

Don't forget the English test at the initial visa stage and the harder English and Life in the UK tests for ILR.

How many expats living in Thailand could still do so if they had to speak Thai, I wonder. Maybe that's why so few apply for PR?

And I do agree that at the end of the 5 years, that's it; unless you then move to live outside the UK. In which case the appropriate visa will be required to enter the UK again.

Unless you do naturalise as British; current cost £874.

But, as others have said, if you want to live in a foreign country then you have to abide by their rules.

• Like 1

Point of order:

@ Sustento Reply to Post No 5

I'm not speaking for America,but the UK allows Spouses into the Country on 2 year and 3 months Settlement Visas,and they never have to check in to the UKBA,Home Office,or Police,for the whole term,of residence,which in general leads on to permanent residence into the UK,whereby the nearest they will ever get to a Check in,is when they pick up their Citizenship Certificate,and later on British Passport Application Interview!

In answer to your question,providing the Immigration conditions are complied with,it's pretty straight forward,for most applicants to obtain a UK Visa.

IMHO excessive check ins,are xenophobic nonsense,!

Edit for spelling error!

Your information on UK settlement visas is out of date.

Initial visa; valid 33 months. Current fee £851.

After 30 months in UK apply for Further Leave to Remain; one of the requirements being proof of where you have been living for the entire period and that your British partner/spouse has been living there too. Current fee £578 by post or £953 in person

After a further 30 months (5 years in total) apply for Indefinite leave to Remain. Again proof of where you have been living, and that your British spouse/partner has been living there with you, for the entire period is required. Current fee £1051 by post or £1426 in person.

Financial requirement to be met at each stage; currently an income of at least £18,600 p.a (more if children are included in the application), cash savings of at least £62,500 (more if children are included in the application) (except at ILR where the minimum savings are currently £42,500, plus extra for children included in the application) or an acceptable combination of income and savings.

Don't forget the English test at the initial visa stage and the harder English and Life in the UK tests for ILR.

How many expats living in Thailand could still do so if they had to speak Thai, I wonder. Maybe that's why so few apply for PR?

And I do agree that at the end of the 5 years, that's it; unless you then move to live outside the UK. In which case the appropriate visa will be required to enter the UK again.

Unless you do naturalise as British; current cost £874.

But, as others have said, if you want to live in a foreign country then you have to abide by their rules.

Thanks for the update.

The thread is about 90 day check ins,which are not needed for those in the UK on a Spouse/Settlement Visa.

No, but they do, as I said, have to provide evidence of where they have been living at the FLR and ILR stages and evidence of meeting the financial requirement at every application stage.

Different countries, different rules; but foreigners wishing to live in any country have to abide by that countries rules.

If expats living in Thailand don't want to report every 90 days, then do the necessary to obtain PR.

Although I have heard there's a quota on that; or am I thinking of citizenship?

The short answer to the original post is that thems the rules.like it or not.In addition to that,you don't have to attend as it can be done by post.

"...you don't have to attend as it can be done by post."

It can not be done by mail in the region where I reside (see: TV thread at http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/557382-90-day-report-procedures/)

This just increases the daily chaos at this undersized and understaffed immigration office in one of Thailand largest cities that has an equally large expat community.

90 reporting by mail was an excellent idea. No wonder they decided to cancel the program -- my guess...it was too efficient.

I wonder what would happen if you mailed the TM.47 form just the same, since it is a right granted by the Immigration Act and an immigration office has no authority to overrule this law. The first time I would send it with a covering letter, in Thai language, saying something like this:

In compliance with section 37, paragraph 5 of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 and the information shown on the Immigration Bureau web page www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/en/base.php?page=90days I hereby enclose the following documents:

1. Photocopy of passport pages with following pages

- front page showing name / surname / Passport No., ect.

- current visa

- last entry stamp of immigration

- last extension of stay

2. Photocopy of departure card TM.6, front and back
  3. Receipt for last notification of staying over 90 days
  4. Completely filled in and signed notification form TM.47
  5. Envelope with 10 Baht stamp affixed and my return address for your office to send back the lower part of form TM. 47 after having received my notification.

Come to think about it, I would save that Thai covering letter on my computer and enclose it with every TM.47. I would make sure to send it always by registered letter and keep the postal receipt.

Here I would disagree. Yes, in the resort towns, where no civilized person would live, there is a large number of misbehaving tourists - elsewhere, no problem.

It is the tourist that creates problems. It is the tourist that gives us a bad name. It is us, the permanent residents, who bring in the big bucks. You can estimate our support by using Thai figures (right or wrong), but a few years back, Thai Immigration reported that there were then 6 million foreigners on long term visas - work it out on minimum income requirement - we bring in 10 times more than the idiot tourists, yet there is a Ministry for Tourism and none for retirees..??

Er tourists dont do 90 days reports, and if your here on an annual visa or extension your not a permanent resident either

so struggling to see how your comments even relate to 90 day reports

Everyone accuses Thai's of being xenophobic, but very apparant your showing "xenophobic" tendancies as well....blame someone else....Thai's blame farangs for all their problems, long term "tourists" in Thailand blame the short term tourists...whistling.gif

further you are overstating the "big bucks" contributed by "residents" in comparision with what comes in via tourism, and highly unlikely there are 6 million foreigners on long term visa's in Thailand, and even if their were even close to that number, not all are on retirement

Seems to me you have a bit of a chip on your shoulder...

• Like 1