Import gym equipment from China

kiwitezza

Why would you want to import the Gym equipment from China?

Is the equipment not available in Thailand?

If you import this from China you will have to pay a high percentage tax, which would be the CIF (or C&F) value, which would mean that as well as being taxed on the goods you would also be taxed on the shipping charges.

You say home gym equipment, if the equipment that you need is a multi-gym then the tax alone could cost almost the same buying the equipment in Thailand.

If it is other gym equipment, please advise us of what you are after and maybe someone on the board would be able to advise you of where to buy it locally.

Regards,

Tiger.

Thanks Tiger. That is why I am asking about import taxes etc. If you say is true, then I will buy locally. I am based in Phuket and the gym equipment on sale is not so good and expensive etc.

Where in Thailand would I be able to find a good shop that would sell descent gym equipment?

I'm thinking Bangkok.

Most major shopping malls have a sports store that sell gym equipment and multi gyms.

There are also shops/stands that sell only multi gyms.

When I bought my multi gym (about 2 years ago) I paid Baht 20,000 but the prices started at about Baht 14,000 upwards.

The previous multi gym that i bought in Thailand lasted me around 10 years and averaged out over these 10 years, I would say that I used it around 3 to 4 times a week and then I donated it to the Thai in laws only because i was upgrading.

The quality might not be as good as in the west but I have been happy with mine (they do what they are supposed to) and were probably much cheaper than if I would have bought them in my home country.

I don't think one bought from China would be better in quality than what is available locally.

Just as a pointer, I bought my 2 multi gyms from Seacon Square.

Regards,

Tiger.

Most major shopping malls have a sports store that sell gym equipment and multi gyms.

When I bought my multi gym (about 2 years ago) I paid Baht 20,000 but the prices started at about Baht 14,000 upwards.

The previous multi gym that i bought in Thailand lasted me around 10 years and averaged out over these 10 years, I would say that I used it around 3 to 4 times a week and then I donated it to the Thai in laws only because i was upgrading.

The quality might not be as good as in the west but I have been happy with mine (they do what they are supposed to) and were probably much cheaper than if I would have bought them in my home country.

I don't think one bought from China would be better in quality than what is available locally.

Regards,

Tiger.

Seacon Square is in BKK?

Regards,

Tiger.

Seacon Square is in BKK?

Just about.

It is on the border of Bangkok and Sumautprakarn (on the Srinakarin Road) and near to the Bang Na area.

Regards,

Tiger.

Seacon Square is in BKK?

Just about.

It is on the border of Bangkok and Sumautprakarn (on the Srinakarin Road) and near to the Bang Na area.

Interesting..the China importer told me to check out the Thailand Import Tariffs web site.. says there that the import Tax is 10%.

I agree that the official import duty to import exercise equipment into Thailand is 10% but this is calculated against the total cost of getting the item into Thailand, which includes cost & freight.

On top of this you will also have to pay 7% for VAT.

However, Thai customs officers have a nasty habit of changing the custom tariff that the goods fall into and also charging the duty/VAT on their estimated cost of the goods (even if you have proof of price).

Also I would not trust the quality of goods coming out of China.

The seller can tell you how good the product is but when it actually arrives ………….. (Caveat emptor).

Whichever way you choose to go, I hope that you do not find too may problems.

There is good equipment in BKK and the guy selling it travels. But you pay for good equipment. I have once imported stuff from USA because it was not available here. I was hit for 10% and 7% over the value plus shipping.

If you want more details about gym equipment PM me, id say the best thing for a gym is a powerrack and an bench.

How much for a good Elyptical machine that costs $50000 in US ?

You don't even want to think about that. Prices here are inflated, i did import a concept 2 model D rowing machine. Best rower money can buy and on par with the machine you are talking about. I mean real gym grade smooth equipment. It was 55K or inclusive taxes and shipping.

I got royally screwed for importing iron-master quick-lock dumbbells 120lbs (total 290lbs inclusive stand). I knew the price knew the shipping cost and knew it would be 10% and over that 7% vat. However the ........ at customs decided that they had to recalculate the shipping costs based on weight. I was furious of course as it added an other 13.000 baht to the total sum. However they are the best dumbbells I have ever used and much better as spin lock ones. So quality comes at a price.

• 9 years later...
On 8/29/2013 at 9:57 AM, kiwitezza said:

Thanks Tiger. That is why I am asking about import taxes etc. If you say is true, then I will buy locally. I am based in Phuket and the gym equipment on sale is not so good and expensive etc.

Where in Thailand would I be able to find a good shop that would sell descent gym equipment?

I'm thinking Bangkok.

There are some good quality / price options here. I bought online from this company Maxxfit 3 years ago, when the local gyms all closed due to C-19. All the equipment I bought (Half-cage, bench, 20kg barbell, plates, dumbells etc,) still in perfect condition.