Thai Transport Minister: No taxi fare hike

webfact

out here in the boondocks (Phutthamonthon), I already pay inflated taxi fares just to get back home. It's okay going into the city. Just get a taxi to Wongwian Yai BTS. But taking bags OUT from the city means a taxi is a must. Go to Central World and they'll just refuse you--unless you offer at least 500 baht. And late at night they will not even take that. Best bet is the taxi line at Paragon, where the taxis are boxed in and the guy calling them out on a loudspeaker sort of coerces them to take you. But that means waiting in that taxi line, which is always long and takes forever. I've gotten where I hate to go into central Bangkok.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Increasing the fares of taxi is fair, because price for many things increases. Drive a taxi yourself and you know how they work and live, don't just complaint blindly. They have family like all of you who complain the fares is high, the taxi stinks and blah blah blah.

Increasing the fares of taxi is fair, because price for many things increases. Drive a taxi yourself and you know how they work and live, don't just complaint blindly. They have family like all of you who complain the fares is high, the taxi stinks and blah blah blah.

You're missing the point. I doubt that few people on this forum would oppose a fare increase. As I pointed out, in effect, I'm already paying much more than the meter in many instance anyway. And, yes, I usually do tip these guys, especially if they give me an honest trip or ask me if they can take an alternate route in order to avoid traffic. What irks us mostly is that taxi drivers simply continue to refuse fares. I've ridden in smelly taxis with ripped seats and a malfunctioning air conditioner and have not minded at all, because I'm just happy to get back home alive and without a samurai sword sticking out of my neck.

Meantime Phuket residents would be THRILLED if they had a taxi service what was 1/10 as good as the service and prices provided in Bangkok...

Whine on BKK Taxi Bashers or count your blessings you're not in Phuket where a junky piece of crap no a/c tuk tuk mafia wants 200 baht to drive you 200 meters.

Great decision. Way too many taxis, in fact, seems they create most of the dental Bangkok traffic jams!

I talked with many taxi drivers, the ones that do not try to over charge, and they still pocket close to Baht 1000/day in average - that is the reason there are so many taxis! Increasing the fare will just bring MORE taxis.

As for the ones wanting special rates, and no meter, an increase in fares would not change a thing there.

cheers!

I am all for increasing taxi fares. Current rates are super cheap and not keeping up with inflation.

In the same breath I say improve public transit. The BTS and MRT are fine but the Busses and Railway suck big time. Ideally more people should move to mass transit, Mass Transit should be the most cost effective and the most affordable. So while getting in a cab cost less than BTS and MRT then there is no real incentive. Somehow I feel that the MRT and BTS are overpriced for the average citizen. Now it seems that there is a social divide. Those commuters who have money can travel in comfort and a free of traffic jams, and those who do not are relegated to suffer on the streets, in shabby cabs, relic trains and archaic busses trapped for hours in the traffic and heat. ...So... increase the cost of a cab sure, and lower the fees for MRT and BTS.

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Tipping, isn't that some weird American custom? You pay them to provide a service and then you pay them again for accepting payment. In Australia we pay once.

Thats why service sucks in australia

The US has the best customer service in the world because of tipping

Didn't you know that there, crocodile dundee?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What <deleted> ! I'm not an Ausatralian but I've traveled the world for long enough to know that the U.S. does not offer the best service on the planet by far. Try Norway, Sweden, Germany plus a few others and Japan where service is always good and they don't expect crazy tipping.

Do you seriously believe service levels will improve in Thailand if you tip more ? They just think you are a muscle bound idiot with way too much money !

• Like 2

out here in the boondocks (Phutthamonthon), I already pay inflated taxi fares just to get back home. It's okay going into the city. Just get a taxi to Wongwian Yai BTS. But taking bags OUT from the city means a taxi is a must. Go to Central World and they'll just refuse you--unless you offer at least 500 baht. And late at night they will not even take that. Best bet is the taxi line at Paragon, where the taxis are boxed in and the guy calling them out on a loudspeaker sort of coerces them to take you. But that means waiting in that taxi line, which is always long and takes forever. I've gotten where I hate to go into central Bangkok.

I know exactly how you feel. We live in Taling Chan and I now hate going into town because of the major problem of getting home in the evening. I live in hope that when the Sky Train is finished on Ratchapreuk Road that it will be a lot easier to get a taxi. At the moment catching the train back to Wongwian Yai and then trying to get a taxi home is virtually impossible due to either no taxis or refusal.

As someone else mentioned it is not a problem solely farangs experience. Thai's have as much problem as we do. Yesterday afternoon I was parked at the local market and numerous taxis refused to take two thais where ever they wanted to go.

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Tipping, isn't that some weird American custom?  You pay them to provide a service and then you pay them again for accepting payment.  In Australia we pay once.

What <deleted> !   I'm not an Ausatralian but I've traveled the world for long enough to know that the U.S. does not offer the best service on the planet by far.   Try Norway, Sweden, Germany plus a few others and Japan where service is always good and they don't expect crazy tipping.

Do you seriously believe service levels will improve in Thailand if you tip more ?   They just think you are a muscle bound idiot with way too much money !

Nice try buy perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to how much income tax is paid in Germany and Sweden as well as free social services?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Soon the Taxi drivers will take to the streets demanding fare hikes. Why not everybody else wants something. Populist policies backfire!

I doubt it. The taxi drivers will do what they do now, quote a flat fare that they think is reasonable. The meter is just a yard stick for short journeys.

I know exactly how you feel. We live in Taling Chan and I now hate going into town because of the major problem of getting home in the evening. I live in hope that when the Sky Train is finished on Ratchapreuk Road that it will be a lot easier to get a taxi. At the moment catching the train back to Wongwian Yai and then trying to get a taxi home is virtually impossible due to either no taxis or refusal.

As someone else mentioned it is not a problem solely farangs experience. Thai's have as much problem as we do. Yesterday afternoon I was parked at the local market and numerous taxis refused to take two thais where ever they wanted to go.

Some good news, at least as far as shopping. You're already fairly near Central Pinklao and they are starting construction on a new Central, Central Salaya, right now. Just keep going west on Borom. It will be around Sai 5. To be honest, except for an occasional trip to Villa or CW's deli to get things like pepperoni sticks, there is less and less need for me to go into central Bangkok--unless it's business related. But we need to be careful out here, too. Borom is being built up like crazy, especially since the flood. Used to be almost empty and now the traffic is starting to resemble everything else around Bangkok. Still, taxis are okay as long as you use them between Pinklao and just over into Nakhon Pathom. I've only been cheated badly once in this local area.

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Tipping, isn't that some weird American custom? You pay them to provide a service and then you pay them again for accepting payment. In Australia we pay once.

"The US has the best customer service in the world because of tipping".

Well perhaps you could mention that to the totally obnoxious check-in lady at American Airlines in Houston. She would hands down win the award for the most in-your-face rude / most totally unhelpful / most obnoxious service person in the world.

Mentioning, with a small apology, that I wasn't from the US and I wasn't aware of a slightly different check-in procedure just sparked a further tirade.

Then one step down the cabin attendants on the same flight. Close to abusive to the passengers.

Or do you mean that if I want good / pleasant service I should put a tip on the check-in desk immediately I arrive there, and hand every hostess a tip immediately I step inside the aircraft?

Edited by scorecard

#

I am in complete agreement with this. Fares were last increased around five years ago, since when everything else has risen considerably. To peg fares for even longer is absurd and displays a lack of understanding of the problems facing taxi drivers.

The longer fares are pegged, the less they will earn and the more scams we will experience.

I always tip now, and if the taxi has been caught up in a traffic jam I will tip quite well. If these guys aren't earning a decent hourly rate they can't maintain the vehicle, let alone earn a living.

Most taxi drivers are from up north, and supported the TRT , PPP and PTP. Not they are being treated like intelligent step child. Over the last two years all prices have increased and the government has refused to allow the taxi drivers to increase the fare, this is one of the reasons the drivers do not want to use the meter. If they follow the law they lose money, these drivers have families also, they have children to go school. Some times the government equates to " the dog that bites the hand that feeds them " coffee1.gif

"40%" of taxis riding around empty? Stop refusing fares. Having been in the transportation industry years ago you take the good with the bad and who is to say when you drop off that one fare you didn't want you won't get a "bone"(reference in the industry to an easy,high fare ride)

Taxi stands and queue's thru-out the city is a good start, although even then they still pick and choose the fares they want. (ie Paragon, MBK)

Enforcement on taxis is lacking by the department responsible for allowing them to operate. If taxi drivers had the fear of being held accountable for their actions at any minute then they just might be a bit more rider-friendly and law abiding.

The obvious violations I encounter almost daily are:

Refused fares

Obstructed id's, other drivers id's or no id's at all.

Flat rates, "meter not working" as they say

Unsafe driving, numerous infractions, talking on mobile (not sure if this is illegal yet)

Also they could be more courteous, assist with luggage or bags, open a door, assist with handicap people as they are the first reflection on Thailand which could leave a lasting impression.

Be required to take a maps course to know Bangkok and popular destinations, learn english as a basic 2nd language to at least minimally communicate with tourist, travelers, foreigners or not be allowed or found to be operating within the city limits of Bangkok or other major cities in Thailand (Chiang Mai, Phuket, Pattaya and all airport/train locations)

As other posters said its the "stupid farang" fault for allowing this, all costs for everything else have risen in the last decade so fares should be increased, if fares were raised maybe taxi drivers would have more integrity.

*As far as "stupid farang" goes, I disagree as most people are here on holiday, just for a short time and just don't know all the tricks of the trade. You must admit, being here in Thailand certainly sharpens up your street smarts and other awareness skills to not be taken advantage of or be targeted. Certainly not a stress you want to deal with while trying to be on a relaxing vacation.

*Fares should be raised with everything else in the last decade. I've been coming to Thailand for the last 7 years (not 10 yet) and I noticed an increase from 31thb to 35thb so thats about a 12% increase. Even the minimum wage has increased in the last 7 years. Also lets not kid ourselves, most fares flagged on the street are under 2kilometers anyways.

*Raising fares might increase integrity, I disagree. Rewarding bad behavior is not the solution nor putting that cost on travelers. How about raising taxes on locals, nationals, business/home owners to fund a special enforcement department.

Although TAT doesn't hesitate to advertise their gains and proposed profits, so at least someone is making out on this whole deal.

The image of Thailand is being hurt and forever scarred by the first impressions of the Taxis. If tourist dollars are important then some thriving government department should step forward.

And dare compare the fares to other cities/countries thru-out the world because in those countries you can't get a healthy meal for under $1.50USD (45THB) or less, or pay rents under $400 (12000THB) and some places even less.

I am YeaBiGgiEs and I have spoken on this day.

• Like 1

.... I'm already paying much more than the meter in many instance anyway. And, yes, I usually do tip these guys, especially if they give me an honest trip or ask me if they can take an alternate route in order to avoid traffic. What irks us mostly is that taxi drivers simply continue to refuse fares. ...

This is also what has helped create the "set fare" fiasco. Many drivers will pass Thais by, simply because they know they do not tip drivers. They also know that Thais will very, very rarely settle on a set fare.

I always tip the driver anyway. I'm not really bothered by the taxi smelling bad, you expect that in hot countries especially where everyone eats garlic. I do have concerns about the safety of taxis, especially the no-seatbelts problem and the way some taxis just stop running suddenly. I would sooner pay higher fares and have well-maintained vehicle engines, and with seatbelts in them. But the prices are okay, at least where I live they always run a fair meter and so I always tip them because relative to my income the fares are dirt cheap, and I'm an honoured guest in this great nation so I am thankful for that and always tip for services not just taxis.

Tipping, isn't that some weird American custom?  You pay them to provide a service and then you pay them again for accepting payment.  In Australia we pay once.

"The US has the best customer service in the world because of tipping".

Well perhaps you could mention that to the totally obnoxious check-in lady at American Airlines in Houston. She would hands down win the award for the most in-your-face rude / most totally unhelpful / most obnoxious service person in the world.

Mentioning, with a small apology, that I wasn't from the US and I wasn't aware of a slightly different check-in procedure just sparked a further tirade. 

Then one step down the cabin attendants on the same flight. Close to abusive to the passengers.

Or do you mean that if I want good / pleasant service I should put a tip on the check-in desk immediately I arrive there, and hand every hostess a tip immediately I step inside the aircraft? 

I agree with you, I have had problems with airlines employees all over the world

Im talking about waitstaff and other service sectors where tipping is the norm

Has anyone ever seen the documentary on what it takes to become a Taxi driver in London? They have to know every nook and crannie of the city, short cuts, backways, multiple alternate routes and take a lengthy exam. Here in Thailand I think a heartbeat and weapon are the only requirements.

.... I'm already paying much more than the meter in many instance anyway. And, yes, I usually do tip these guys, especially if they give me an honest trip or ask me if they can take an alternate route in order to avoid traffic. What irks us mostly is that taxi drivers simply continue to refuse fares. ...

This is also what has helped create the "set fare" fiasco. Many drivers will pass Thais by, simply because they know they do not tip drivers. They also know that Thais will very, very rarely settle on a set fare.

Which is why I try to do most of my shopping these days out, here, on the western fringes of Bangkok. No need to go "off meter", as there is to get from central Bangkok back home. And a 15-20 baht tip usually gets the taxi driver to step out and carry bags up inside the gate. Just a lot better dealing with taxis on this side of the river.

The current 35 baht is ridiculously low and should of course be increased to 50 baht.

Most of my trips in Bnagkok come in under 50-60 baht and I can't see how these guys can make a decent living driving around for a €1-1.50 euro fare.

I always drop a minimum of B20 anyway but in nearly every single case there is no acknowledgement. Once at Swampy I gave the driver a B500 note for a B230 fare. Of course...he had no change and started to walk off!! What a hoot!

KT,

Yep it can be good....... but America should pay their staff properly and not leave it to us to take up the slack. I was told the servers get $6 an hour and the rest is up to them. America....pay your damm staff.

I just hate that robotic, rehearsed, insincere;

"HI THERE (yes shouting) My name is sweetie pie, welcome to xxxx, I am your server tonight, here are the menus, we have some specials tonight , blah, blah, blah, what can I get you guys to drink, just ask me if you need anything....etc, etc..."...but don't ask because if anything goes wriong they can't handle it and the robot becomes a pretty nasty person. They need therapy if they feel stressd.

The standard tip in the States now is expected at 18-22% !!

• Like 1

Do people really believe that taxi drivers only turn down fares or request flat rates from farangs? Stop feeling persecuted, you see this happen to Thai people as well. Additionally, how many people have actually asked taxi drivers about this? Right, when the opportunity arises; do people talk to them?

If you do, you'll hear the same reason for rejecting fares over and over again. Example: Someone will want to go to a location that's kind of far away. The driver doesn't want to go. It may be a decent 200 plus Baht fare so the customer thinks "<deleted>, this is a good fare, what's wrong with this guy?"

Let's say you're on maybe Silom and you want to go to Lad Phrao. A good meter fare. But...but...the driver will take 30-45 minutes to get there (depending on traffic) and then, chances are he will have to come back empty. This takes up a lot of time and negates much of the fare's value. Most taxi drivers work certain areas of town and look for fares that won't take them too far away. And fares that will take them where they can hopefully pick up another customer. Discuss the matter with taxi drivers and you'll hear this explanation all the time. They're not making it up.

Granted, there are jerk taxi drivers, unfriendly taxi drivers, unreliable taxi drivers, scams, mafia exclusion zones, etc etc. But there are also guys who are just trying to earn a living. Given the absurdly low meter rates and the vast numbers of taxis this can be hard to do. Not all taxi drivers are evil demonic beings trying to rip you off. Most are fairly normal; try talking to them.

Edited by marell

The current 35 baht is ridiculously low and should of course be increased to 50 baht.

Most of my trips in Bnagkok come in under 50-60 baht and I can't see how these guys can make a decent living driving around for a €1-1.50 euro fare.

I always drop a minimum of B20 anyway but in nearly every single case there is no acknowledgement. Once at Swampy I gave the driver a B500 note for a B230 fare. Of course...he had no change and started to walk off!! What a hoot!

A "decent living" (by your Western, relatively affluent, 500-baht-note-dropping standards) for a laborer (and even above) in Thailand!? Now, that's a hoot!

It is said that Thailand is a "developing" country. Exactly what is "developing" remains to be seen.

Edited by MaxYakov

It would be better news if they came out with something like. We will allow a small increase BUT....If a taxi refuses a fare or to turn its meter on, the car will be crushed without notice.

With the driver still in it!!!!

These rates have been set for over a decade.

The last taxi fare increase in BKK was in July 2008.

12% up from the previous fare.

Tell us what part of the fare was increased, the base fare of 35 baht has been in affect since 1998 that I know of.

moe666, on 08 Sept 2013 - 11:33, said:

rheinwiese, on 07 Sept 2013 - 10:11, said:

The last taxi fare increase in BKK was in July 2008.

12% up from the previous fare.

Tell us what part of the fare was increased, the base fare of 35 baht has been in affect since 1998 that I know of.

It used to be that the first two kilometers were covered by 35 baht. In 2008 it was changed to be only one kilometer covered for 35 baht. The fares per kilometer also went up at the same time.

These rates have been set for over a decade. The cost of everything else has risen substantially.

Possibly, if given a better rate, they might have a little more integrity.

Get off the beaten path and the "set fare" and refused fares, aren't so common. It's really only common in areas where the stupid farang will oblige.

First I am not farang. I am a westerner. Second if you took taxis in BKK you would change your tune. Perhaps you have a car and driver. I don't think Ratchaprarop, Petchaburi, Sukhumvit and Silom are off the beaten path where I frequently get taxi drivers refusing to drive to the Ratchatewi area where I live. The people who are paying these scoundrel taxi divers are most probably tourist. I hope they don't come back. There are places more friendly to tourists than Thailand and in my experience, only Africa has taxi drivers as rude and unscrupulous as Thailand. BTW Malaysia is the number 1 tourist destination is SE Asia.

Nice try buy perhaps you would care to enlighten us as to how much income tax is paid in Germany and Sweden as well as free social services?

I'm Swedish, and my Grandfather was senior violinist in the Royal Academy of Music, he also was in the King's Orchestra and other prominent things such as the daily classical radio broadcasts. He paid 87% tax on his wages, from the 1930s to the 1990s, when he retired in poverty, having never taken a holiday in his life. People who say things like "look at wonderful Sweden!" should get bucket of cold fjord water tipped on their hot little heads.

Re; tipping in general and the flames I got for my post. I don't say "you should tip", I say "I do tip." It is my personal choice. I don't worship money and I have no expensive habits, so I'm happy to tip if I feel its right, which is 95% of the time. I also tip heavily if the service has been excellant and friendly. Driving a taxi all day in Bangkok heat and smog, is bad for the driver's health, the pay is crap and the stress-level and occupational risk level are both high. I tip them because they are doing a job I personally could not do, and they are usually cheerful about it, and because the meter fare is not enough imo.

I also support a rate increase, as there is an annual inflation of around 3% per year, which means the cost of living has risen 15% and more since the last price hike (2008).

If the government controls the price, they should adjust it to the inflation.

About riding around without a passenger, yes it's very common, in sukumvit you sometimes see 5 taxis in a row, all empty.

What the government can do, besides a price increase, is encourage the taxis to switch to more fuel efficient cars, as in the past few years there are very efficient small cars in the market.

Another thing they can do is use something like GetTaxi, so they can stay in one spot, and only move when there is an order.