Just received this from Hull. Another door slams shut..

Post with misinformation removed.

can you kindly share what the misinformation was so everyone will understand including me, not being funny or being critical of your moderation skills - I really would like to know.

I have always thought that getting a Thai driving licence or opening a bank account cannot be done with a tourist visa

Wrong on both counts.

There is no law or regulation that says you a cannot get either.

Click on documents required on this webpage you will see tourist visa listed.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank/PersonalBanking/SpecialServices/ForeignCustomers/Pages/Openinganaccountnew.aspx

For getting a drivers license the hang up comes with getting a certificate of residence. Many immigration offices will not issue them but you can get one from your embassy.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have now spoken to Alex - a knowledgeable Thai lady in the Hull consulate. I told her I was 63 years old and have previously applied for multiple non-O's in person at Hull providing a copy of my wife's passport or ID, together with copies of the marriage certificate documentation. "So what is different this time, please?" She advised the following:

1. All applications for this category of visa (maybe others too - I can only address my own circumstances here so you should only use it as guidance in similar circumstances) must now be faxed by Hull to the Thai embassy, who will give their approval within 2 or 3 working days. Hull will call me back if they get my approval and I can drive to Hull to pick up the passport and visa. Since my time in the UK is short I may have to make two trips - one to deliver application and one to collect, with say 3 working days dividing them.
  2. Copy passport or ID plus copy marriage certs (I always take originals too of the marriage documents, just in case, but have always been told specifically on enquiry that copies are sufficient - and those copies do not need to be countersigned by my wife in the case of passport/id/marriage cert)
  3. As we now know, there is now a financial evidence requirement. For me that will be:
    * copy bank statements for the last 3 months from any bank worldwide, including Thailand of course, that show a 'regular monthly income' of at least ThB 55,000 a month (she quoted GBP 1,300 a month first but then added that the UK equivalent will change form time to time depending on current exchange rates; I took it that the 55,000 baht remains constant for now; or
    * bank statements for the 3 months from any bank worldwide that show a continuing balance of at least ThB 800,000, or its GBP equivalent (currently GBP 16,000); or
    * some combination of the two - I did not enquire into the algorithm for combining a lower balance plus lower monthly income to achieve a passable level
    * the bank account must be a current account. A savings account will not comply and she said that the embassy have been rejecting 'a lot of applications' on this point alone. I commented that Thai deposit savings accounts have balances that allow significant withdrawals on demand over the counter. "I know, but I don't make the rules" was the answer
    * the bank account statements must show your address (ie most internet-printed statements are non-compliant. Again she was very specific on this point and kept repeating it, saying that applications have been refused if it does not. Damn- I forgot to ask her if a UK address is ok given that my only current accounts lie in the UK. She commented that it is easy to get a bank statement over the counter from your bank. I informed her that the bank I use (HSBC) print out statements over the counter that do not have addresses on them (I know - I tried to get one for other emergency ID purposes when applying to renew my UK driving license at a Post Office earlier this month when last in the UK). I told her that my bank will only post a full statement and normally with a few working days delay and second class which now takes anything up to 4 days and that I may have problems organising receipt of one within time (hopefully not if I call them now). 'Oh - sorry was the response'laugh.png . There was little point in commenting that financial institutions and government agencies in the UK require bank statements that show only the sort code and account number. Just give me the rules and bu$$er the logic is the best approach to take to keep your sanity, I find.
    * If going down the proof of regular income approach you do not need a pension letter to prove what the source of income was. She stopped to discuss my age and the fact I was not 65. Perhaps you do need a pension letter in addition if you are over 65? Sorry - I may have introduced a red-herring that someone else will need to clear up on that specific point.

So, at least now I can plan. I am not to be drawn into the merits or logic of all this. Clearly it makes getting a non-O multiple that much less easy so that many people will now opt for the extension route (as being no longer significantly more onerous). I wonder if Alex realises that her job is now that much less secure!

• Like 1

OK - now I've had a pee and a sip or two of tea and I'm bluddy angry with the stupidity of introducing these new rules with no notice. I could quite imagine being unable to comply with these requirements. My income goes directly into a UK bank savings account. My Thai accounts are all savings accounts that allow sufficient withdrawals to fund the family Thai bank account that is in my wife's name. I am a good money manager so I would normally have little cash lying around in a current account - it just so happens that I have kept a lump in my HSBC UK current account to comply with their HSBC Premier minimum balances and because rates on deposit accounts in the UK are so cr@P anyway.

So potentially I could easily have been in a real bind, not being able to prove financial resources. And I am wealthy and liquid, by anyone's standards w00t.gif

OK - now I've had a pee and a sip or two of tea and I'm bluddy angry with the stupidity of introducing these new rules with no notice. I could quite imagine being unable to comply with these requirements. My income goes directly into a UK bank savings account. My Thai accounts are all savings accounts that allow sufficient withdrawals to fund the family Thai bank account that is in my wife's name. I am a good money manager so I would normally have little cash lying around in a current account - it just so happens that I have kept a lump in my HSBC UK current account to comply with their HSBC Premier minimum balances and because rates on deposit accounts in the UK are so cr@P anyway.

So potentially I could easily have been in a real bind, not being able to prove financial resources. And I am wealthy and liquid, by anyone's standards w00t.gif

Welcome to the land of no officials understand anything. sad.png

There is an easy solution.

Forget Hull and go to Savannakhet and get your visa with no financial proof needed when you get back.

Or just bite the bullet and get an extension.

You are both right of course. Keep sanity - there will always be a way, even if Savannakeht were to 'do a Hull' as I was travelling up there and even though I have no time to get an extension before I have to go back to the UK in two days time with an expired visa. Presumably the next fall back would be to get a one shot tourist from Hull and extend it when I get back here. Painful and could be expensive to keep getting a re-entry permit every time I leave the country though.

And if it all gets too much, I like Cambodia and everyone is so grateful for any help there (and they deserve it more!)

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 2

As posted earlier........ I sent off a few emails in the last 10 days, well 2 more replies today......Both were more or less the same, No they no longer able to issue the 1 year Non Imm '0' .. cut and paste from the Email 'You need to show proof of at least 400,000baht in Thailand bank account to get single entry 90days Non O'.

So looks like other places are doing the same, not just Hull

Bit puzzled.. thought the idea to get a Visa NON '0' was money did not have to be in a Thai Bank ? that is why some go to get Visa and not just get an extension at Immigration..

There is an easy solution.

Forget Hull and go to Savannakhet and get your visa with no financial proof needed when you get back.

Or just bite the bullet and get an extension.

You are both right of course. Keep sanity - there will always be a way, even if Savannakeht were to 'do a Hull' as I was travelling up there and even though I have no time to get an extension before I have to go back to the UK in two days time with an expired visa. Presumably the next fall back would be to get a one shot tourist from Hull and extend it when I get back here. Painful and could be expensive to keep getting a re-entry permit every time I leave the country though.

And if it all gets too much, I like Cambodia and everyone is so grateful for any help there (and they deserve it more!)

Get a single entry O no financials needed instead of tourist visa. Then get 1 year extension or even a 60 day to visit your wife. Edited by ubonjoe

As I suspected HSBC send statements by mail 'within 5 working days'. When I explained why that gave me an issue they said they would send to my local branch within 3 working days. With a couple of days head start by phoning them today, should just about work with enough margin for error on my 10 day trip back to the UK.

If you are 63 why are you asking for a visa to visit friends.

You can get a multiple O in Perth or Brisbane for retirement. No financial proof needed.

Just an update, have phoned both Perth and Brisbane this morning, the answer is NO the new regulations even a '0' now must have 800.000 in Bank and letter confirming you have this account...

Did ask requirements if married to a Thai, both said, also now needs money in Bank..

Hate the idea but try to get another double TR Visa ? then just under 2 years overstay appears to be the only option ?. or get another new Passport and keep trying TR Visa route

so doors slams shut everywhere ?

Just noticed going back to Savannakhet website,,,,,, now say's Type NON immigrant Visa Discontinued ....... says Tourist Visa's or Non 'B' and 'ED' Visa's .. not seen that before ? lots did go there for there married to a Thai NON '0'

If you are 63 why are you asking for a visa to visit friends.

You can get a multiple O in Perth or Brisbane for retirement. No financial proof needed.

Just an update, have phoned both Perth and Brisbane this morning, the answer is NO the new regulations even a '0' now must have 800.000 in Bank and letter confirming you have this account...

Did ask requirements if married to a Thai, both said, also now needs money in Bank..

Hate the idea but try to get another double TR Visa ? then just under 2 years overstay appears to be the only option ?. or get another new Passport and keep trying TR Visa route

so doors slams shut everywhere ?

I think the message is getting through and the third option is NOT staying in Thailand if you don't have enough money.

• Like 1

Been following this closely, and it seems consulates around the world are all catching up with the new rule. Personally I am here married to my Thai wife and get extensions each year after attending the demeaning annual application process with many false smiles.

I am now 52, married 4 years, with one Brit/Thai son from our marriage. My Non Imm O was issued in Hull 4 years ago. I perminently have 400k baht on deposit. This last extension (July) I was told it would be better if they could see the 400k being utilised, and I was to show other money coming in to prove I was supporting the family. Fortunately I have an armed forces pension and I could show Thailand executed monthly ATM withdrawals from UK bank using online UK bank statements. I am now saving the ATM slips for next years evidence.

Immigration were quite clear that the 400k lump sum which I never touch was not ideal in showing that I supported my Thai family !!! The Baht 10m investment in our family home and a condominium counts for nothing!

I have taken early retirement and spend my days raising our son. My Thai wife works. My Pension currently equates to GBP 10,000 gross, but is taxable. The net figure is GBP 800 per month which is UNDER 40k baht per month.

I have to be honest I never envisaged the 69 baht £ would fall to 46 baht £, but, I can still survive handsomely on joint earnings with my wife of baht £50k monthly. What will be a disaster for me is if they change the rules and I cannot meet the new rules. There must be thousands of expats in the same boat.

So from this July 2013 extension experience it seems to me that the rules might be changed in the near future. Conceivably they will want to see the 400k baht in the Thai bank, plus a regular income stream to demonstrate you are supporting the family. Just speculating.

If the changes are significant I would have to do some serious restructuring financially, for example, sell my condo.

My question to those of experience; those who have been here considerably longer than me is:

If there is a change in the rules pertaining to extension on marriage, how much notice will we get?

The last time they were is change was around 10 years ago. The main reason for that change was to adjust for the devaluation of the baht back in 97. The baht was about 40 to the dollar then.

I personally I don't think there will be any changes real soon. And if they do make any changes those on extensions now should be grandfathered.

• Like 1

So even Savannaket is out now!

Is KL's required proof still 100k in a Thai bank for ''marriage'' non imm multi O?

I'm nearly 63, don't have a UK address for my UK bank, don't get statements and am under 40k a month

from my 2 private pensions yet my Thai wife and I have lived here with 2 fully paid-up houses very happily for 12 years!

I am probably one of the 'poor farang' that YL /TS want shot of as we contribute nothing to Thailand.

Please remind me of the requirements for marriage extension at imm in Thailand, are they :-

400k in Thai bank for 3 month prior to app, map to house, photo's of both in and around house, wife ID & Tabien Baan, marriage and Kor Ror 2 cert, 2 photo's and 2/3 copies signed of each, or is there more?

.....my head hurts w00t.gifblink.png

The last time they were is change was around 10 years ago. The main reason for that change was to adjust for the devaluation of the baht back in 97. The baht was about 40 to the dollar then.

I personally I don't think there will be any changes real soon. And if they do make any changes those on extensions now should be grandfathered.

Hoping you would post, thanks for the reply, and hoping you are correct!

Is KL's required proof still 100k in a Thai bank for ''marriage'' non imm multi O?

I'm nearly 63, don't have a UK address for my UK bank, don't get statements and am under 40k a month

from my 2 private pensions yet my Thai wife and I have lived here with 2 fully paid-up houses very happily for 12 years!

I am probably one of the 'poor farang' that YL /TS want shot of as we contribute nothing to Thailand.

If the govt were to review and radically overhaul their ridiculous stance (laws) on us legally assisting educational institutions, and business, with English conversation and other life long international experience then you and I and thousands of others would be able to make a significant contribution!

No changes for Savannakeht that I know of.

And long may it continue, at least until next May when mine is due.

Meanwhile I'll carry on trying to scrabble together the 400k!

Still want confirmation of what's needed for an extension based on marriage apart

from

400k in my Thai bank 2/3 months, pix of us around house, map from imm to house,

2 photo's, marriage + Kor Ror 2 cert's and copies of all signed by us.....

what else?

Please remind me of the requirements for marriage extension at imm in Thailand, are they :-

400k in Thai bank for 3 month prior to app, map to house, photo's of both in and around house, wife ID & Tabien Baan, marriage and Kor Ror 2 cert, 2 photo's and 2/3 copies signed of each, or is there more?

.....my head hurts w00t.gifblink.png

Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but you would appear to be "one of those Farangs" that don't meet the minimum financial requirements (as set by immigration authorities/police orders) to live in Thailand.

I think that is the bottom line really and local consulates have now been told to enforce those requirements in the issue of visas.

• Like 2

So when my current visa expires in approx. August of next year, I'm off to Cambo? Seems non-o's - my only realistic visa option - won't be available to me, or am I panicking for nothing?

Sent from my GT-N7000B

You don't say what your visa is based upon.

So it is impossible to answer question.

So when my current visa expires in approx. August of next year, I'm off to Cambo? Seems non-o's - my only realistic visa option - won't be available to me, or am I panicking for nothing?

Sent from my GT-N7000B

See posts 111 and 113 and it is easy to answer. He cannot prove income for his visa based on marriage so he will be buggered if Savannaket is brought into line with other embassies.

We are rapidly approaching the point of no evidence of income/bank balance = no visa.

Unless you are a UK OAP then you can show any amount of state pension income and you qualify.

And long may it continue, at least until next May when mine is due.

Meanwhile I'll carry on trying to scrabble together the 400k!

Still want confirmation of what's needed for an extension based on marriage apart

from

400k in my Thai bank 2/3 months, pix of us around house, map from imm to house,

2 photo's, marriage + Kor Ror 2 cert's and copies of all signed by us.....

what else?

Money is 2 months with letter from bank and bank book.

Wife's house book and ID.

Two copies of everything and 2 TM7 forms.

Map is from nearest major road or highway.

If not living in house shown in wife's house book a rental contract is needed.

Kor Ror 2 needs to be recently issued.

I think that's it but some thing depend upon what your immigration office wants.

Edit: Passport valid for at least one year and copies of visas and entry stamp.

Copies of TM6 card.

Edited by ubonjoe

Sent from my GT-N7000B

See posts 111 and 113 and it is easy to answer. He cannot prove income for his visa based on marriage so he will be buggered if Savannaket is brought into line with other embassies.

We are rapidly approaching the point of no evidence of income/bank balance = no visa.

Unless you are a UK OAP then you can show any amount of state pension income and you qualify.

OK just didn't feel like going back through all 146 posts again. Or checking his posting record.

So far so good for Savan or possibly Penang.

• Like 1

KL has been 400k for some time now,

I thought someone stated earlier in this thread that they had something on their website indicating changes - either no M type O or finances required of 800k

what bothers me about all this is they are targeting the wrong people, I know lots of people come here without a visa and stay for months or years doing all sorts of s&&t most of it illegal then leaving and paying 20k overstay while I'm having to jump through hoops to do the right thing - maybe if they put people in jail for a year with more than 2 months overstay and blacklist them for 10 years I'd feel happier about it

And there's the biggest mystery of them all - over 65 130 quid a week - visa no problem

Young and healthy 50yo needs to show pension income of over 300 quid a week - w-- is that all about ?

unless they have some sort of agreement with the British Government it's beyond understanding