All Non O Visas from Hull now need 800K Bht in the bank

From the same web site the requirements for a single entry "o" visa seem to be as follows

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS :
The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.
Basic Documents requires by all types of Non-Immigrant Visa.
Visa application form completely filled out
Passport or travel document with validity not less than 6 months and its copy
Two (2) recent 2 x 2 inches photographs (taken within the past 6 months)
Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
Letter of acceptance from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Alien Occupational
Control Division, Department of Employment, Tel +662-245-2745, 245-3209, 617-6578, 617-6584
Fax: +662-6176576, 245-2593) *(Please see below)
Note: The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the rights to request for other additional documents, depending on the type of Non-Immigrant Visa

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From the same web site the requirements for a single entry "o" visa seem to be as follows

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS :
The applicants must submit the following relevant documents depending on the purpose of their visit.
Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)
Letter of acceptance from the Ministry of Labour and Social Welfare (Alien Occupational
Control Division, Department of Employment, Tel +662-245-2745, 245-3209, 617-6578, 617-6584
Note: The Royal Thai Embassy reserves the rights to request for other additional documents, depending on the type of Non-Immigrant Visa

Only the MULTI ENTRIES require the money but again this is only on Hulls and the Embassys site in London not on any other consulate site for the UK.

All applications for NON O are e mailed to LONDON first for approval.

I sent my application off last week FRIDAY from the UK for a MULTI NON O and after phoning BIRMINGHAM consulate they told me there was no need to show any money so "if" I get my MULTI NON O for marriage I will report back soon.

The woman at Birmingham said they had received no notification to do this and had been sending and getting back MULTI NON O's regularly.

We shall see soon??????

Edited by kannot

The following link is to the Thai Embassy website in London and there is no mention, for single entry to visit Thai spouse, of the requirement for 800,000 baht is says 20,000 baht/person or 40,000 baht/family. http://thaiembassyuk.org.uk/?q=node/49

The 800,000/65,000 baht is for a 1 year multiple entry application, etc.

Hull appears to be running their own show with different ideas! I have also checked with a friend of mine who has worked in the Thai Embassy for over 25 years and she has told me that there have been no changes.

A more careful examination of that web site would have revealed the following !

"Category "O" with multiple entries

Pension earners or Applicants over 50 years of age, following document is required;
- Pension statement if the applicant is a pension earner, or
- Proof of income with a minimum of £1,400.00 per month or
- Thai Spouse visa with a copy of marriage certificate and passport or Thai ID of spouse and (3 months bank statement showing monthly income of more than
£1,400.00 or £16,500 anuually for those who have been issue category O with multiple entries)"

The first line of my post says quite clearly " there is no mention, for single entry to visit Thai spouse, of the requirement for 800,000 baht is says 20,000 baht/person or 40,000 baht/family".

The line in the middle of my post says, "The 800,000/65,000 baht is for a 1 year multiple entry application, etc."

The issue here was about the same financial requirements for a Single Entry 'O' as for Retirement if you read the OP's. I was not discussing the other options That is not the case according to the Thai Embassy. With a more careful read of my post you can see that I have not discussed the other requirements only the financial aspect which would have a big impact if it was true.

Enclosed my email to Thai Embassy London. I suspect one of three outcomes;

1. No reply 10-1

2. Frogmarched to airport, black stamp on passport 15-1

3. Whoops, sorry, your right 100-1

After completing my O visa application to the Thai consulate Hull, and enclosing the paperwork as required, application guidelines Abb. I was surprised to receive this reply.

We have received your application for a one year visa but along with your marriage certificate we now have to also see a bank statement to show a lump sum of £16,000 or a monthly income of £1,300 a month this must be in a current account and not isa’s or investments, this is required by the Thai Embassy in London who now have to approve all one yea visa’s, please advise if you can forward a statement.

Regards

Pauline Murden

Royal Thai Consulate

On telephoning Ms Murden, I was informed that this was a new requirement, and the website had not been updated. My question is WHY? Surely The Thai Immigration dept should have informed ALL consulates/embassies before implementing this change to give them time to update the website?

I then emailed the required bank statements that I had downloaded showing that I met the required income. Also a copy of premium bond records totaling 17,200GBP investment. I thought I had met BOTH requirements. No one I can think of would be foolish enough to leave 16,000GBP in a current account and the money is immediately accessible to me.

I received this reply:

I have received the statements but not one of them show your address only your name we will not be able to accept these without an address on.

Regards

Pauline

Obviously had I been informed that an address was required, I would have complied. My flights had already been booked (17/9/13) Time was running out as my passport was with the consulate.I then sent further documentation, with my address on.

I received this reply:

Sorry but none of that information we would be able to send to the embassy for the visa, I will have to issue you the 3 x 60day tourist visa, I know it is not on our website yet because the embassy keep changing everything on a daily basis right now and until we have an understanding of the exact requirements we cannot put it on the website.

Regards

Pauline

In no way do I hold Ms Murden or the staff at the Hull consulate responsible for this. They are labouring under the mistaken belief that they work for a responsible Thai governmental dept, unfortunately.

I have been a long term O visa holder, 8 years. Married or living with my Thai wife who is a government employee of 32 years standing. Indeed the fault clearly rests with Thai immigration, who seem from the above unable to decide themselves what exactly they require.

To say that I am upset would be a major understatement. Even more insulting is the fact that after investigating these new requirements, it would appear that citizens from different countries are being subjected to differing requirements, can you confirm this? Is a civil marriage between a Thai and UK citizen any more or less valid?

How can you justify that I can marry one year and am able to enjoy my right to family life as guaranteed by the Hague Convention, and then alter the requirement so that this is denied or at the very least curtailed? Surely the regulations in force at the time of marriage are the only ones that should be applied to those in my position.

I await your reasoned reply to the points I have raised, something I strongly suspect you are unable or unwilling to give,

Regards,

Isn't it strange that Thai authorities, in their ''wisdom',' do not take into account that farangland takes care of their nationals when married to a farang in farangland. Nooooooo hoops.

To 4u2mad why don't you get an extension of stay from immigration based upon marriage. You only need 40k baht income or 400k in the bank.

Are you sure?

I went to my local immigration office yesterday to get details of extending my visa based on marriage. The leaflet they gave me, clearly states a 40k income AND 400k in a Thai Bank for 2 months prior to the application.

To 4u2mad why don't you get an extension of stay from immigration based upon marriage. You only need 40k baht income or 400k in the bank.

Are you sure?

I went to my local immigration office yesterday to get details of extending my visa based on marriage. The leaflet they gave me, clearly states a 40k income AND 400k in a Thai Bank for 2 months prior to the application.

It's either or

totster :)

3 months showing monthly income equivalent to THB65k or lump-sum
amount of THB800k.
READ THE POST PEOPLE!!! OR 65K A MONTH FOR 3 MONTHS ... THATS ONLY 1300 QUID A MONTH. SO NO YOU DONT NEED 800K AT ALL. SECONDLY THIS IS A SIMILAR AMOUNT THE UK GOVERNMENT WANT US TO EARN IF WE WANT A THAI SPOUSE TO COME OVER HERE. SO THE GOVERNMENTS VISA POLICIES ARE SIMILAR.
REMEMBER NOR 800K. JUST 1300 UK POUNDS FOR 3 MONTHS. EASY PEASY

the amount is pension or wages adding up to £1300..

no property income or any other income is allowed..

i earn £2500 a month was rejected..£1000 was pension..£1500 other income from property rental and self employed...

i have £10000 uk pounds in the bank...they did not take that in to consideration..

Im shocked to read this as my income, approved today (see above), was all bits and pieces, and 100% rental income. I even put my 'employment status' on the application form as semi-retired landlord. and in 'supporting evidence' I wrote 'last 3mths bank statements attached' and in brackets 'Income from rents'. Some was Housing benefit, some were different tenants paying in rents and rent top-ups, all this interspersed with transfers in from another interest earning account I have with another bank. Even if they thought the council HB payments were pension payments, they were nowhere near enough to cover the 1400 per month required! Mai Kao Jai!

Can you believe this? Hull have now just phoned me to say London have NOT approved my application, despite being told the opposite last Friday.............No reason given! Offered triple entry Tourist which I can live with. The spiders web of Thai lack of any logic whatsoever is now spreading throughout the UK! Tried to phone London Visa section for reason.....but continuous 'person not available' message. Have you noticed that the London phone # on the London website is back to front...........That says it all really, doesnt it?

• Like 1

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS :

Only the MULTI ENTRIES require the money but again this is only on Hulls and the Embassys site in London not on any other consulate site for the UK.

I sent my application off last week FRIDAY from the UK for a MULTI NON O and after phoning BIRMINGHAM consulate they told me there was no need to show any money so "if" I get my MULTI NON O for marriage I will report back soon.

The woman at Birmingham said they had received no notification to do this and had been sending and getting back MULTI NON O's regularly.

We shall see soon??????

A partial update, I sent off my passport for a NON O MULTI ENTRY ( marriage) using the special delivery return envelope last week on Friday the 20th of september , on the tracking of this letter today i seen it has been sent back to me so tomorrow I will be able to report if i got a MULTI NON O using Birminghams Consulate.

They have not contacted me at all so I am assuming they have done it?? Ill let everyone here know hopefully sometime tomorrow.

Im thinking they would call me is there had been any problem and no call.........but who knows??????

If it has been done then the system is very very foo**ed up as Hull wont and the Thai embassy wont etc etc yet no mention on Glasgow, Liverpool or Birminghams website of any money being needed as in the 800k for a multi non o marriage to Thai national

Indeed the fault clearly rests with Thai immigration, who seem from the above unable to decide themselves what exactly they require.

I would think it more likely that the fault lies with the Thai Embassy in London. I have had dealings with them going back more than 20 years. The ordinary staff are o.k. but the people in senior positions who have resided in the U.K. for a long time resent to some degree the unsavoury reputation Thailand has for sex tourism and have an axe to grind against the Hull consulate who in the past were famous for being a soft touch to all and sundry. This is a typical non confrontational Thai way of sticking the knife in someone you either want to get rid or knock down to size.

There are other consulates in Liverpool and Birmingham etc.....might be better to deal with them in future. Not necessarily easier but you might get a more straightforward answer and at least know where you stand.

Hell hath no fury like a Thai bureaucrat offended

Edited by Denim

I have just had this reply from a friend of mine at the Thai Embassy in London.

"I asked the officer at the consular section regarding the different requirements between Hull and The Royal Thai Embassy, London. Please ask your friend to contact the consular section, the Royal Thai Embassy, London directly to get some more information regarding this matter."

Hope this helps, I'll be interested in what they have to say.

Edited by Anon999
  • Like 1

Is disallowing rental property income a new thing? Seems a little strange. Income is income.

Income is income for the Immigration office for the one-year extension of stay, but apparently not for the Thai embassy in the UK. The simple fact is that the multiple-entry non-O visa was never intended for a foreigner to live long-term in Thailand but for the applicant to live in his home country and visit a family member in Thailand several times a year. These new, absurd visa requirements are probably the Thai way of not saying NO, ie of not refusing the visa outright, and of guiding the applicant in the direction of applying for one-year extensions of stay at his local immigration office.

• Like 2

REQUIRED DOCUMENTS :

We shall see soon??????

GOT THE VISA TODAY NO PROOF OF INCOME NON O MULTI ENTRY MARRIED TO A THAI!!!!!

Applied last Friday (20sep 2013) after phone call to the Birmingham Consulate to check. PHOTO ATTACHED

Non O Multi entry married to a Thai national...............for 7 years

So what does it all mean?? an error in the requirements to have £16k if married when its only £8k in Thailand or an attack on the Hull consulate?? or just the normal incompetence or the intermediate stage of this applying soon to all UK Consulates

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

Very pleased it worked out well for you smile.png

Me too but the real question is.....what the hell's going on??

The 800k requirement is the first problem, if married to a Thai it should be 400k, neither for me are a problem except I had kept 400k in a Thai bank acc for years in case of this happening, now I just stuck in another 500k so if next year I re apply in the UK I can show Thai bank book with 900k in....until they make it 1 million.

Very pleased it worked out well for you xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

The 800k requirement is the first problem, if married to a Thai it should be 400k, neither for me are a problem except I had kept 400k in a Thai bank acc for years in case of this happening, now I just stuck in another 500k so if next year I re apply in the UK I can show Thai bank book with 900k in....until they make it 1 million.

Why not just apply for an extension of stay ?

That cuts out whatever is going on in the UK

Very pleased it worked out well for you xsmile.png.pagespeed.ic.4tUibSscbZ.webp

I come back once a year to see parents, it was convenient and easy for me as never know where i will be or when, i will now change it to an extension of stay on this trip as i think what will happen is that this rule will be fully enforced soon and hopefully if i do the 400k extension in Thailand Ill be grandfathered in (THOUGH NOTHING SURE EVER HERE) as tying up 400 or 800k is a bit of a pain.

Very pleased it worked out well for you smile.png

I come back once a year to see parents, it was convenient and easy for me as never know where i will be or when, i will now change it to an extension of stay on this trip as i think what will happen is that this rule will be fully enforced soon and hopefully if i do the 400k extension in Thailand Ill be grandfathered in (THOUGH NOTHING SURE EVER HERE) as tying up 400 or 800k is a bit of a pain.

If you only return to the UK once a year then a single re-entry permit at 1000 bht would meet your need.

The other benefit of an extension of stay is an end to the need for border runs !smile.png

That'll deter a few yobs and wanke_rs from setting up in Thailand.

It's a good policy to keep out the riff-raff.

Perhaps yes, BUT, it also affects the genuine folk who have been taking care of Thai nationals for years. Perhaps places like Hull have been dishing out Visas purely for the financial gain. Have read that non UK EU folk were posting applications to Hull cos they were an easy touch.

Unfortunately it won't target any of the yobs and wank--er's you refer too because they don't apply for a proper visa and even if they did they won't be going forward, most of them arrive here on VOA and overstay at will, then when it becomes time to leave years later they get a 20k baht fine for overstay and off they go

As has been mentioned already on this thread these rules requirements are misguided and are not going to target the group of people intended

I can meet the requirements easily but unfortunately they implemented these changes 2 months before my trip home, not enough time for me to move money around my accounts to meet the 3 month requirement - they should have given 3 months notice or at least consider applicants that obviously meet the requirements if they show multiple bank statements in their name showing balances far exceeding what they want but just not all in a current account (who keeps 18k GBP in a current account ????)

IMO this implementation of rules has not been well thought out and if anything will force more people to do things the wrong way.

and Hull doesn't answer emails which is rather disappointing

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Without reading the whole 15 pages of outrage; I am assuming that with regard to the equivalent of 800k baht 'lump-sum' in a UK account, that does NOT have the same 'seasoning' stipulations that apply to Thai currency in a Thai bank account? It's a lot easier to wing extra funds into a non-Thai account (and out again) than tying up the funds while watching the clock in an account in LOS.

Without reading the whole 15 pages of outrage; I am assuming that with regard to the equivalent of 800k baht 'lump-sum' in a UK account, that does NOT have the same 'seasoning' stipulations that apply to Thai currency in a Thai bank account? It's a lot easier to wing extra funds into a non-Thai account (and out again) than tying up the funds while watching the clock in an account in LOS.

i have £2500 a month coming in...from pension and property rent..cash in bank not current .. i was rejected..

i have £2500 a month coming in...from pension and property rent..cash in bank not current .. i was rejected..
Rejected where?

Was your £2500/month for each of the last three months?

I thought pensions ONLY didn't have any minimum applied?

Maybe you should not have added things to it?

What do you mean by 'cash in bank not current'?

It pretty much states that the monthly minimum must be evidenced in the latest 3 months bank statements.

Anyway, I am chasing the ambiguity of how the lump sum requirement is worded. I read it as the monthly minimum method has to have a 3-month 'history' whereas the lump sum is just that, no need for seasoning.

Edit: Never mind, I read the thread and it was answered by VBF in post#283. The 800k baht equivalent in a UK account needs to be seasoned 3 months. Confirmed by phone with Hull.

Edited by NanLaew