Vientiane for Thai visa, how to get to Vientiane from Korat?

I'm taking the bus from where I live to Nakhon Ratchasima and then hopefully directly to Vientiane. I found some information on Google and here already, but it's somewhat dated. Can somebody tell me if there's a direct bus from Korat to Vientiane and if so what time it leaves? If there's no direct bus, what is the next best option? I'd prefer to avoid taxis/tuk-tuks if possible.

Korat? Don't know. You could always take a bus from Korat to Khon Kaen and get the Vientiane direct bus from the Air Con (smaller of the 2) bus station but you would need to have a visa for Lao in advance for the direct to Vientiane bus -- there is a Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen.

The bus leaves KK twice per day at about 8 AM and 2 PM very roughly.

Most buses going direct to Vientiane require you to have Lao visa.

Best would to get there be to get a bus to Nong Khai then a tuk tuk to the bridge from bus station. After clearing immigration you then get on shuttle bus across bridge. Then you can get a tuk tuk or taxi into town after getting Lao visa and entry stamp.

• Like 1

As I know there is also the opiton by train direct to Vientiane but I not know if you get the Visa also at the train station in Nong Kai where anyway you have to change the wagon. If you come by car or bus so you get the visa direct at the border no need stop in Khon Kaen. I read the train to Chiang Mai not work for a while because of many accidents, check first if the train to Vientiane still works. If you own a car this would be best solution but you have first to make a ITP (International Transport Document(violet bucklet) in the closesd Office for Land and Transport (as an passport for car). Cost approx. 400 THB

Edited by challenger99

You can go to Khon Kaen first. From the express bus station where leave the buses to BKK there is a direct bus to Vientiane, about 2 or 3 times per day. Note: This bus station is in the center of town. There are now also cheap flights from BKK Don Muang airport to Khon Kaen with Air Asia, starting in October. About 500 ThB only.

The Northeast train line is still running with all new ballast/road bed and concrete ties. Lao Immigration at the Nong Khai train SRT station is only available TTBOMK for trains originating in Bangkok i.e. not the local 3rd class between Khorat and Nong Khai and then once at the terminus on the Lao side you have to use taxis/tuk tuks.

The train station at Nong Khai -- if you take the train from Khorat -- is close enough to the bridge that you could walk if you so choose as I did many times just to exit/re-enter Thailand at the bridge. The bus station is a tuk tuk ride a ways away in town.

Edited by JLCrab

I have read that the Bangkok-Vientiane bus picks up passengers in Korat. Not sure what time it would get there, but as the Vientiane bus leaves Bangkok around 8pm? then probably 11pm or 11.30pm it would pick you up to go onto Vientiane, arriving in the morning.

What's your nationality? Swiss, Luxembourg and Russian citizens don't need a visa for Laos, most others can get it on arrival - however, as some posters have stated, they might not take you if you don't already have a visa. In this case, you could courier your passport down to Bangkok to get it there or stop off in Khon Kaen first, get the visa, then catch a direct Khon Kaen-Vientiane bus, which has at least 2 departures daily.

Edited by Tomtomtom69

So with that nice link from LucyLuke above there is an international bus once-a-day from Khorat to Vientiane at 9 AM BUT it requires that you already hold a visa to Laos if you are from a country for which one is required. Again, there is a Lao Consulate in Khon Kaen.

There are a total of 4 VIP/direct buses from Korat to Nong Khai - 2 in the morning (don't know the times) and 2 in the late evening/at night. It's a 5,5 hour journey.

From the bus station in Nong Khai, it's about a 10-15 minute tuk-tuk ride (Baht 50 per person) to the Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge. Once you've passed through the Thai and Laotian immigration, you can take either a shared tuk-tuk or a private taxi (approx. Baht 200) to anywhere in Vientiane.

It really is pretty easy and the fares for the tuk-tuks and taxis seem to apply to everybody and non-negotiable.

• Like 1

You can buy ticket to international bus just tell you will clear Lao border yourself and bus will not wait you after you pass Thai border and go to Lao immigration. Bus Bangkok - Vientiane stops @ Korat at midnight then @ Friendship bridge at 6 AM. Driver will guide whole bus to quick pass Thai border w/o waiting in main queue

Then, catch tuk tuk to Thai consulate in Vientiane after you pass Lao border.

What I do from udon is to catch a bus for 50 baht to Nong Khai. There, just offer 50 baht to the short ride to the border. Get a visa on arrival (10 minutes), then catch a songtaew on the Lao side to Vientiane. That can be negotiated. Bring crispy new 20 dollar bills and some large and small baht. The train is off schedule...and you may wait an hour or two past the scheduled time to catch it. Do not bother with that. And its slow anyways.

Take the train to Nong Khai and from the train station a tuk-tuk to the border. Alternatively you can take the bus from the main bus station that's located on the road that leads to Khon Kaen. I'd definitely take the train on the way back to Korat because the bus usually has several stops along the way which will make the bus journey considerably longer than the train ride and on the train you can eat, walk and smoke.

Personally, I am puzzled by the question. Forty years ago, speaking very little Thai, I was able to travel all over Thailand - YEP, even to Vientienne, Mae Sai, Aranyapratet and more.

My advice: examine a map then choose your mode of transportation. I ponder why you didn't take the train; cheaper and quite direct, food & beds on board, etc. I have done it, but buses are an extremely uncomfortable way to travel

For a better, more relaxed trip, I vote the train also. You'll get a parade of food and drink that'll keep it interesting. Just don't eat the uncooked sausages. And people will engage you in conversation if you look even halfway welcoming. Good luck whatever you choose.