US Embassy in Bangkok still open despite US's shutdown

webfact

Congratulations Federal workers who voted for Obama. See how well your president is shining Now. He is doing such a wonderful job of administering the country. Wow with someone at the helm like this who would want someone else

You are so lucky to have someone who is soooo concerned about his job that he does not care about yours

Good luck FEDERAL WORKERS

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HAHA You actually watch Communist News Network? then use it to source your facts? lmao

RT and Aljazeera is what you need to watch.

Khun Sayonarax,

You have quite a way of expressing yourself and distrust of mainstream media sources. By U.S. law, U.S. Consulates are predominately funded from user fees. Nothing really unique about that as some other some govt agencies/operations fall into the same category. Here is link to the U.S. State Department, which consulates fall under, providing Guidance on Operations During Lapse of Appropriations. Regarding the Consulate operations, here's a cut and paste from the document basically saying continue on as long as your users fees pays the bills. Give google a try regarding U.S. Consulates funding...I'm sure you will find some sources even you will trust.

C. Consular Operations Domestically and Overseas: Consular operations domestically and overseas will remain 100% operational as long as there are sufficient fees to support operations. However, if a passport agency is located in a government building affected by a lapse in appropriations, the facility may become unsupported. The continuance of consular operations in such instances will be treated on a case-by-case basis by the Under Secretary for Management.

What a mess in the States, this yearly power play between both political spectrums. Makes Thai politics look sane almost!

I agree. Tell that to the posters who take opportunity to bash Thailand as if the rest of their world is perfect. I'm from the US and things are confusing there, hence why I live here.

• Like 1

Phew! Thank God for that.

[/sarcasm]

My thoughts as well, I was a bit worried that the world might end.

Actually the world might be a better place if the US did imploded.

It well might be on its way. Then the anti-American zealots can turn their attention on the next bad guy in line.

It's never a winning proposition to have more than your neighbor who hates and envies at the same time.

When the US implodes, who will the world turn to when the next Hitler shows up on your doorstep? Be careful what you wish for. It may just come true.

E Pluribus Unum

• Like 2

I seem to recall that the US tried extremely hard not become involved in WW2 and anyway most of the major powers are in a much better position today should another Hitler stick his nose-out

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Close down the country is a GOOD idea. Their contribution to previous damage (agent orange, pondering of the plain of jars and Attapeu) is flat zero. It's proven now that they cannot even take care of themselves. Pathetic, that everyone is creeping up their a....s on a worldwide level.
And if we are it, why dont tell the Germans and the Japanese to no longer honour the USD; there is no justification whatsoever in keeping the USD as the benchmark-currency for oil, precious metals and grains.
Even the THB is better for such purposes!

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Except the us hasn't run out of money (or rather, people willing to lend them money), just disagreement on where the money should go. But hey, continue to sprout out your ignorance to the world. Btw I find it ironic that you call CNN communist but cite Russia Today as a credible news source when they literally have not reported a single news item which paints russia inca negative light and have been calling for a US collapse since 2008

Well, having to borrow money every month to fund your outgoings, would seem to fullfill the entire concept of the meaning of "run out of money" to me. Not all debt is bad, but reality is, the amount of debt that the USA has, is essentially unfundable, without massive devaluation.

• Like 1

<snip>

When the US implodes, who will the world turn to when the next Hitler shows up on your doorstep? Be careful what you wish for. It may just come true.

E Pluribus Unum

Don't worry, the Japs (or maybe the Koreans) will come to our aid and wake up the colonials, just like last time. smile.png

Nil Illigitimi Carborundum.

• Like 1

I seem to recall that the US tried extremely hard not become involved in WW2 and anyway most of the major powers are in a much better position today should another Hitler stick his nose-out

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Yes, the US did have an isolationist policy after WWI and didn't enter the war until attacked by Japan and after which Germany declared war on the US. We did enter the war which is the main point, which most like would have turned out much differently if we had not. Who knows.

From recent history, the "Major Powers" have demonstrated that they do not have the conventional military resources to embark on a sustained, major military campaign nor the resolve to do so. Appeasement did not die with Nevil Chamberlain and his promises from the likes of Uncle Adolfo.

Unfortunately, there are countries and people in the world that would like to seperate our heads from our shoulders and impose their ideology on the world. The recent events in Kenya and elsewhere are examples.

I hope America falls flat on her face like the USSR...

How can you not afford to keep your government open, but have enough cash to fight false flag wars?

coffee1.gifviolin.gif.pagespeed.ce.8MK3fN8NTC.gif

Except the us hasn't run out of money (or rather, people willing to lend them money), just disagreement on where the money should go. But hey, continue to sprout out your ignorance to the world. Btw I find it ironic that you call CNN communist but cite Russia Today as a credible news source when they literally have not reported a single news item which paints russia inca negative light and have been calling for a US collapse since 2008

Well, having to borrow money every month to fund your outgoings, would seem to fullfill the entire concept of the meaning of "run out of money" to me. Not all debt is bad, but reality is, the amount of debt that the USA has, is essentially unfundable, without massive devaluation.

So true. I have a budget and live with it. Unfortunately for my country, the budget and deficit is out of control and an economic meltdown is a possibility. For the worlds largest economy to tumble, even our enemies will be caught up in the ensuing financial tsunami.

Close down the country is a GOOD idea. Their contribution to previous damage (agent orange, pondering of the plain of jars and Attapeu) is flat zero. It's proven now that they cannot even take care of themselves. Pathetic, that everyone is creeping up their a....s on a worldwide level.

And if we are it, why dont tell the Germans and the Japanese to no longer honour the USD; there is no justification whatsoever in keeping the USD as the benchmark-currency for oil, precious metals and grains.

I agree and I'm from the USA. The world would be much better off relying on China or Russia to replace America. They certainly know how to play fair, take care of their citizens and help their neighbors.

Then US is vilified and a lot of it is certainly justified, however, it's collapse would put you and the rest of the world into a place where Agent Orange is replaced by Sarin, the Plain of Jars is replaced by the slaughter at Halabja or the Katyn Massacre.

No country that I can think of is free from past acts that would shock us today. The US just happens to,have the most resources and tries to impose Democracy on those that don't want it, couldn't make it work or would turn it into a killing machine.

I support the US as my native country, but it's time we gave the nay sayers their turn to deal with the despots that would have our heads on a spike if given the chance.

• Like 1

Of course they won't close this particular embassy with over +4,000 (!) US & local staff. It is more intelligence centre for SEA than Visa business.

Got a source for that 4000 number other than your arce.

This is what we get when know-nothing Tea party dickheads, financed by evil entities like the Koch Crime family, are voted in by Fox News addicts. Pitiful.

Sad Days watching my country morph into a Banana Republic

It has been a well orchestrated banana republic for years. When JFK was cut short, the globalists and NWO took over, it is well documented. Accepting the facts and state of affairs is indeed the hardest thing.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

I take offense at the USA being called a "banana republic". We don't have all that many bananas, like to import from countries Dole dominates. Better to call us a "potato republic". Rolls off the tongue easier, too.

I take offense at the USA being called a "banana republic". We don't have all that many bananas, like to import from countries Dole dominates. Better to call us a "potato republic". Rolls off the tongue easier, too.

More accurately:

High-fructose corn syrup Republic ...

• Like 1

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

Are you saying that the salaries for everyone stationed there and locals, security, benefits, perqs, and t & e for dinners, cocktail parties, travel..etc are covered by "user fees?" That's a preposterous consideration.

I agree with this. I don't know about the embassy in BKK but certainly the one here in Laos isn't generating enough user fees to wean itself off of the treasuries teats.

U.S. Consulates are primarily funded through user fees versus appropriations from Congress so the govt shutdown will probably have little affect on most of their operations. And any consulate folks who may be funded by direct appropriations are probably exempted (i.e, considered essential) and must continue to work as normal...no furloughs or missed paychecks for them.

Are you saying that the salaries for everyone stationed there and locals, security, benefits, perqs, and t & e for dinners, cocktail parties, travel..etc are covered by "user fees?" That's a preposterous consideration.

I agree with this. I don't know about the embassy in BKK but certainly the one here in Laos isn't generating enough user fees to wean itself off of the treasuries teats.

How do you know what the consulate fee revenue is unless maybe you work there? Plus, since the fees are the same for all consulates worldwide, whether it's fees collected from American citizens or foriegn nationals, I expect you have some consulates who operate at a profit, some at a loss, but the worldwide fee total breaks even and are consolidated into one big U.S. State Dept pot which funds "all" the consulates/allows all to stay open. By U.S. law the consulates are predominately funded from users fees and access to appropriated funds is limited. Guess this funding approach definitely works good to minimize impacts on foreign nationals and U.S. expats needing to get some document issued whether or not a budget food fight is occurring in D.C. Also allows foreign nationals, like when they are getting a visa to enter the U.S., to fund part of the operational costs with U.S. expats picking up the rest of the cost.

Sent from my Onda V971 tablet

Edited by Pib

One senior Republican familiar with the talks argued that the effort may be small now, but it is expanding, and will grow as more Republicans hear from constituents back home that are hurting from the shutdown.

"It's Day 2 of the shutdown -- we went from six or seven (members) to over 20 today," the senior Republican told Pig Whistle News

Ok this might be over quicker than we thought - Once people get mad, they'll be the gang rush from the sinking ship

Of course they won't close this particular embassy with over +4,000 (!) US & local staff. It is more intelligence centre for SEA than Visa business.

Can you provide your source for this claim? Or is this merely your opinion?

I agree and I'm from the USA. The world would be much better off relying on China or Russia to replace America. They certainly know how to play fair, take care of their citizens and help their neighbors.

Then US is vilified and a lot of it is certainly justified, however, it's collapse would put you and the rest of the world into a place where Agent Orange is replaced by Sarin, the Plain of Jars is replaced by the slaughter at Halabja or the Katyn Massacre.

No country that I can think of is free from past acts that would shock us today. The US just happens to,have the most resources and tries to impose Democracy on those that don't want it, couldn't make it work or would turn it into a killing machine.

I support the US as my native country, but it's time we gave the nay sayers their turn to deal with the despots that would have our heads on a spike if given the chance.

+1. Maybe it IS better that Russia or China took over, that way all these idiots complaining about the US can be quickly shipped of to the gulags they so love and adore.