Pattaya Police bust Lithuanian 'ATM-scamming' gang

webfact

Police Bust Lithuanian 'ATM-Scamming' Gang

By Khaosod Online

lut.jpg

PATTAYA: -- Four Lithuanian nationals have been arrested in Pattaya on suspicion of cheating 5 million baht from ATMs with fake ATM cards.

The police gave the names of the suspects, transcribed from Thai text, as Mr. Raimontus Wisulis, 19; Mr. Kintaras Kaposus, 21; Mr. Paulus Rascaucas, 19; and Mr. Jilius Petraska, 19.

Officers also confiscated an ATM passcode reader machine along with 450 counterfeit ATM and credit cards.

Pol.Col. Suwan Chiaonawintawat said the police had received complaint from Siam Commercial Bank that it has lost large amount of money to individuals scamming the cash out of ATMs in Pattaya in recent days, so the police deployed detectives and informants around many potential crime scenes.

By the afternoon of 12 October, Pol.Col. Suwan said, the police were informed that the four Lithuanians could be seen acting suspiciously around an ATM in front of Good Inn Hotel.

The four were later arrested and confessed that they had been cashing ATMs with their fake cards, claiming that a German national had provided them with the necessary equipments in exchange with 5% cuts from the amount of money they had earned.

The suspects said they often fled to Bangkok and laid low for a while before returning to Pattaya in order to commit the crimes again. They had reportedly earned 5 million bahts with their scheme.

Police say they are searching for other suspects in connection with the four individuals.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1UWTNNekU1TWc9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-14

• Like 2

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the technology available today, they can't put some technology in ATM's to stop this? How is it possible?

They could at least put CCTV cameras around every ATM machine, so the bib immediately know who to look for.

We don´t need an ATM machine outside of every shop or in every dark alley! Allow the shops to pay out extra cash on credit/debit cards on any purchase (like up to THB 1,000). Gather the ATM machines from different banks in safe rooms built of concrete and armored glass (like in the movie ATM) and keep the suspects locked inside the room, until the local bib shows up and check, if they are in possession of any illegal equipment or stolen credit cards. A valid credit or debit card should be used to access the rooms. The rooms could be placed in connection to 7 eleven shops, which are open 24 hours and widely spread all over Thailand.

Edited by Xonax

With the technology available today, they can't put some technology in ATM's to stop this? How is it possible?

They could at least put CCTV cameras around every ATM machine, so the bib immediately know who to look for.

We don´t need an ATM machine outside of every shop or in every dark alley! Allow the shops to pay out extra cash on credit/debit cards on any purchase (like up to THB 1,000). Gather the ATM machines from different banks in safe rooms built of concrete and armored glass (like in the movie ATM) and keep the suspects locked inside the room, until the local bib shows up and check, if they are in possession of any illegal equipment or stolen credit cards. A valid credit or debit card should be used to access the rooms. The rooms could be placed in connection to 7 eleven shops, which are open 24 hours and widely spread all over Thailand.

Not really sure what your point is...all ATMs already have small cameras in them (ever notice that mirror thingy...it's not for ladies to touch up their makeup you know). As for the standalone ATMs everywhere, I agree these should be avoided as its easier for criminals to attach card readers to them. It's best practice to only use ATMs in or adjacent to bank branches or busy locations like inside shopping centers or supermarkets.

• Like 1

the article didn't say how they got caught!

i am intrigued to know how the Thai police managed to ever catch them....

if they are using fake cards on many ATM's around Pattaya, surely they have already committed the crime before the police are notified.

I'm puzzled how they got caught!

it would have made the read more interesting...

- Despite making fun of their lack of enthusiasm to uphold the law, I often admire how the Thai Police actually manage to catch so many criminals.

(or perhaps its just from tip-offs,,, therefore meaning that they actually didnt do much work to catch criminals after all!!)

anyway... how the thai police caught them would have made the story much more interesting, I think.

Firstly, congratulations to the B.I.B --at least some of them are detecting crime instead of the usual we have to endure. Secondly I agree with Xonax, why does there have to be so many ATM machines ? They are everywhere you look. Maybe that is why Thailand is seen as such a soft target for this type of criminal activity. Thirdly, yes, put ATM machines in a kind of safe room. In the UK., a lot of banks have enclosed their entrances and you must use your card to gain access. However, as shown on TV several years ago, this is not without it's problems -- I think it was at a branch of the Midland Bank ( tell me if I'm wrong ) someone actually stuck a card reader on the outside wall of the entrance just below the ' official ' one. Most people having swiped their card and the doors not opening, simply swiped the other reader. One reader opened the doors, the other recorded their card details. It was several days before anyone questioned as to why there were two card readers at the bank...and it was also on CCTV. So simple and obviously so very effective.

I know it's a pain but the best way is to go into the bank. Despite the usual queues, it is safer.

the article didn't say how they got caught!

i am intrigued to know how the Thai police managed to ever catch them....

if they are using fake cards on many ATM's around Pattaya, surely they have already committed the crime before the police are notified.

I'm puzzled how they got caught!

it would have made the read more interesting...

- Despite making fun of their lack of enthusiasm to uphold the law, I often admire how the Thai Police actually manage to catch so many criminals.

(or perhaps its just from tip-offs,,, therefore meaning that they actually didnt do much work to catch criminals after all!!)

anyway... how the thai police caught them would have made the story much more interesting, I think.

Read the story by the OP and you will find out.

"Pol.Col. Suwan Chiaonawintawat said the police had received complaint from Siam Commercial Bank that it has lost large amount of money to individuals scamming the cash out of ATMs in Pattaya in recent days, so the police deployed detectives and informants around many potential crime scenes.

By the afternoon of 12 October, Pol.Col. Suwan said, the police were informed that the four Lithuanians could be seen acting suspiciously around an ATM in front of Good Inn Hotel.

The four were later arrested and confessed that they had been cashing ATMs with their fake cards, claiming that a German national had provided them with the necessary equipments in exchange with 5% cuts from the amount of money they had earned."

Edited by rhodie

Same thing has been happening in England with these "Eastern Bloc" Scum

I had a card "cloned" at a fuel station, they got themselves jobs as cashiers, then repositioned the security camera to view the "pin number" machine....

I hope that the Thai authorities "don't" send them back, but give them 10 years in jail, feed them plain rice, and let them drink rain water....

It won't happen in England.....of course.... There they will be fined a small amount of money (which they will pay from the hand-outs we stupid English give them)

But I doubt that they will be sent back to where they come from

We Westeners are "SAPS"

Same here in OZ. They probably get a slap on the wrists and some money to get home.

Firstly, congratulations to the B.I.B --at least some of them are detecting crime instead of the usual we have to endure. Secondly I agree with Xonax, why does there have to be so many ATM machines ? They are everywhere you look. Maybe that is why Thailand is seen as such a soft target for this type of criminal activity. Thirdly, yes, put ATM machines in a kind of safe room. In the UK., a lot of banks have enclosed their entrances and you must use your card to gain access. However, as shown on TV several years ago, this is not without it's problems -- I think it was at a branch of the Midland Bank ( tell me if I'm wrong ) someone actually stuck a card reader on the outside wall of the entrance just below the ' official ' one. Most people having swiped their card and the doors not opening, simply swiped the other reader. One reader opened the doors, the other recorded their card details. It was several days before anyone questioned as to why there were two card readers at the bank...and it was also on CCTV. So simple and obviously so very effective.

I know it's a pain but the best way is to go into the bank. Despite the usual queues, it is safer.

Oh please...most of us don't need or want the nanny state. Just use best practices when using an ATM and avoid the standalone ones located down dark sois. Most don't need the big hand of government guiding us every time we use one of these new modern marvels called ATMs. If one feels overwhelmed using them, just use the tellers like we all used to do 25 years ago.

• Like 1

Same thing has been happening in England with these "Eastern Bloc" Scum

I had a card "cloned" at a fuel station, they got themselves jobs as cashiers, then repositioned the security camera to view the "pin number" machine....

I hope that the Thai authorities "don't" send them back, but give them 10 years in jail, feed them plain rice, and let them drink rain water....

It won't happen in England.....of course.... There they will be fined a small amount of money (which they will pay from the hand-outs we stupid English give them)

But I doubt that they will be sent back to where they come from

We Westeners are "SAPS"

Same here in OZ. They probably get a slap on the wrists and some money to get home.

Try British instead of English old chap.

• Like 1

It must be very lucrative and low risk coming to Thailand and committing these crimes,

otherwise why are they keep coming and committing these crime with impunity with

almost no fear of repercussions? and they said that crime doesn't pay.... I beg to differ.

These types of crimes are worldwide per FBI data. There are numerous foreigners in Thai jails, so let that be a warning tht crime doesn't pay every payday in the LOS.

By the way, good job BIB. I'm just waiting for the negative nabobs of negativism to criticize the police performance on this bust.

• Like 1

Make them sit up for the camera. No point in a photo of the top of there head.facepalm.gif

It's not about the crims. The photo is to show everybody how clever and perspicacious BIB are. Instead of acting like film stars/celbrities I'd be happier if the cops were out on the street catching more bad guys.

Because the crooks and scammers are always one-step ahead of the technology.

Same goes for computer hackers. The anti-virus folks are adding new virus signatures to their application after they detect them (viruses) in use. Two-step authentication came after single step authentication was easily defeated. Stronger encryption (128 bit, 256 bit) and newer algorithms happen after weaker encryption methods were found lacking. And on and on.

It must be very lucrative and low risk coming to Thailand and committing these crimes,

otherwise why are they keep coming and committing these crime with impunity with

almost no fear of repercussions? and they said that crime doesn't pay.... I beg to differ.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.