Thailand leads in political families: study

webfact

Thailand leads in political families: study
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- THAILAND HAS the world's highest ratio of MPs who are heirs or relatives of big political clans and families, a study unveiled yesterday by an academic shows.

Satithorn Thananithichote, of the King Prajadhipok's Institute, said up to 42 per cent of members in the House of Representatives, who were elected in July 2011, came from big political families.

Thailand leads Mexico (40 per cent), the Philippines (37 per cent), Japan (33 per cent), Argentina (10 per cent) and the United States (6 per cent). Satithorn cited the Shinawatras as an example of a political family, which has successfully expanded its political power since 1997.

The academic said the foundations for political power of the Shinawatra family were laid by former Chiang Mai MP Lert Shinawatra - the father of former prime minister Thaksin. Lert was elected in 1969. His power was perpetuated by his brother Suraphan Shinawatra, who was elected in 1979, 1983, 1986 and 1988.

Satithorn said Thaksin came in to perpetuate the family's power in the 2001 general election, and had successfully passed power to his brother-in-law Somchai Wongsawat, a former PM, and the current premier Yingluck. Several other members of the family have also been elected, including Yaowapha Wongsawat and Chinnicha Wongsawat.

The study found that the ruling Pheu Thai Party had the highest number of political families. Some 19 political families currently have MPs in Pheu Thai Party, followed by the Democrats, with 17 political families. The Bhum Jai Thai and Chart Thai Pattana parties have four and three political families, while the Palang Chon Party and the Rak Prathet Thai has members from one political family each among its MPs.

In terms of the percentage of MPs from the same political families in comparison to all MPs of a party, the study found that the Chart Thai Pattana came top with 31.6 per cent. It is followed by the Palang Chon (28.6 per cent), Rak Prathet Thai (25 per cent), the Democrats (22 per cent), Bhum Jai Thai (17.6 per cent) and Pheu Thai (15.1 per cent).

The study found the influence of big political families in Thai politics had not dwindled but was more complex, resulting in election of new politicians who also had influence in areas outside the influence of their families.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-14

• Like 1

They OWN Thailand.

Well not quite. The Shinawatara Family are the 19th richest family in Thailand according to Forbes. You might want to check out the list. Politics is not the only way to make money and have influence in Thailand (and vica versa) Business can be just as dirty - some people seem to forget that in their efforts to demonise Thaksin and his Family.

Edited by fab4

They OWN Thailand.

Well not quite. The Shinawatara Family are the 19th richest family in Thailand according to Forbes. You might want to check out the list. Politics is not the only way to make money and have influence in Thailand (and vica versa) Business can be just as dirty - some people seem to forget that in their efforts to demonise Thaksin and his Family.

I agree though there could be a couple of Baht slipped down the back of the sofa or the odd few billion in offshore accounts. Forbes would know of that for sure?

• Like 1

They OWN Thailand.

How many leading businessmen, be they ever so corrupt, murder 3,500 "suspected drug dealers" and almost 300 southern Muslims?

• Like 1

They OWN Thailand.

There is no business and political separation in Thailand.. None

I didn't say that there was, hence my statement above - all this negative energy directed at the Shinawatra Family and the real culprits carry on as they have been doing.

• Like 1

Thailand is the land of politics ruled by a couple dozen rich and powerful families...modern day warlords. Very hard for a common person to make it in Thai politics, especially reaching any position of real power.

Thailand is the land of politics ruled by a couple dozen rich and powerful families...modern day warlords. Very hard for a common person to make it in Thai politics, especially reaching any position of real power.

But it is a global trend.....Thailand is just leading.

They OWN Thailand.

How many leading businessmen, be they ever so corrupt, murder 3,500 "suspected drug dealers" and almost 300 southern Muslims?

How many politicians do?

Have you turned up something that 3 seperate enquiries, one of them by the esteemed Abhisit, hasn't? Again the numbers of deaths in the so called drug wars are attributed to around 2000 and this by the emotional Asian Human Rights Commission who accused Thaksin of instigating the deaths. Perhaps they had evidence nobody else has?

ps there were 85 fatalities at Pattani, 2008, 11 fatalities at the Mosque in 2009, 96 total - murdered by a politician, really?

Nice try on deflecting from the thread but your emotive post doesn't even reach the serious "let's discuss this" level for me I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, back to the subject of the OP: Thailand leads in political families : study

• Like 1

They OWN Thailand.

How many politicians do?

Have you turned up something that 3 seperate enquiries, one of them by the esteemed Abhisit, hasn't? Again the numbers of deaths in the so called drug wars are attributed to around 2000 and this by the emotional Asian Human Rights Commission who accused Thaksin of instigating the deaths. Perhaps they had evidence nobody else has?

ps there were 85 fatalities at Pattani, 2008, 11 fatalities at the Mosque in 2009, 96 total - murdered by a politician, really?

Nice try on deflecting from the thread but your emotive post doesn't even reach the serious "let's discuss this" level for me I'm afraid.

Meanwhile, back to the subject of the OP: Thailand leads in political families : study

OK then - that still leaves Thailand leading the world at the top of a disgraceful table of corruption and nepotism.

• Like 2

How many politicians do?

OK then - that still leaves Thailand leading the world at the top of a disgraceful table of corruption and nepotism.

Nowhere even near the top of corruption tables, whatever table you choose. As for using Nepotism as a guide, well. Anything else you'd like a stab at?

How many politicians do?

Nowhere even near the top of corruption tables, whatever table you choose. As for using Nepotism as a guide, well. Anything else you'd like a stab at?

No thank you. There's no point in bandying words with unreconstructed Thaksinistas, and I'm sure you feel the same way about me in reverse, so let's not waste any more time.

How many politicians do?

No thank you. There's no point in bandying words with unreconstructed Thaksinistas, and I'm sure you feel the same way about me in reverse, so let's not waste any more time.

Well you've been wrong each time with your "facts", I thought I'd give you the chance to come up with something real.

I'm hardly an "unreconstructured Thaksinista", I just prefer to deal with truthful facts other than emotional hyperbole masquerading as "the truth". It's seems to be a trend, as soon as one supplies readily backed up facts about what actually happened, as opposed to what another thinks happened the labels come out. Really, just try a bit of research before quoting "facts"

So nothing has really changed then... The song remains the same.

Sadly, it's going to get worse with the proposed constitutional changes in the way Senators are elected; it will be even easier for family members of MPs to become Senators. You know, keep the whole country in the families pockets. Old amataya and new amataya split 50/50.