What's your opinion of Thai's wearing gold?

Chittychangchang

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You've gotta love clowns.

Thnx mate.

smile.png

Was meant to be a little silly.

wink.png

Was referring to those who wear gold to show off.

I know mate.

smile.png

I reminds me of the times in the 80s back home when pretenders rented fancy cars and drank cider out of champagne glasses in the night clubs.

Gold is nice is suppose and if someone can afford it or not, it's purely a personal matter. When we die, the gold remains unaffected. The good we did is our legacy, not the amount of jewelry we wore or the fancy trappings we adorned ourselves with.

One day at a time.

• Like 1

Asked my wife, and she confirmed what I thought.

She used to wear it only to show off.

These days, she see no need in showing off, and also she is aware she makes herself a target by flashing the gold everywhere.

She only wears it to parties to look nice.

The correlation between wearing lots of gold and being wealthy just proves the old adage money doesn't buy class.

In my experience the real money ( both here and back home) don't flash what they've got. They don't need to. Everybody knows how minted they are. Last year at a function I was introduced to a bloke who's currently on the Forbes list of richest Thais. Quiet, unassuming, polite, dollar billionaire. I clocked he had a nice discrete Patek Philppe on his wrist, He didn't roll up like the bastard son of Jimmy Saville and Snoop Dogg or a Thai amulet trader/car tent owner.

Nothing of genuine value requires ads.

A really intelligent person will not show off.

A really wealthy person will not show off.

A really strong person will not show off.

I think French have something like 'nuove riche' term, often used derogatory. (PARDON MY FRENCH).

Any urge to show off, flaunt, make a statement is coming from insecurity, inferiority complex or desire to win by dazzling the stupid majority.

A really strong person will not show off cheesy.gif wonder what happens at strongman competitions.

A really intelligent person will not show off.. I wonder what are all those scientific prizes are for.

Rich... kinda depends some show others don't.

Come on, robblock, I'm sure you know what I mean.

A champion in boxing isn't likely to be picking fights with me, you, or any other weakling.

Einstein, Plank or Fermi wouldn't poke your nose into dirt for being an ignoramus.

Twain, Orwell or Hemingway wouldn't laugh publicly over your writings.

And any billionaire of today wouldn't put you down as a cheap charlie in public.

In the ring they will fight, between themselves they might say something of their equals, a scientist tries to beat others to discover something...

But putting down an average bloke I only see rarely in comments like yours.

Not saying successful comments laugh.pngcheesy.gif

• Like 1

I could not find one long enough anywhere, that would be well out of sight when worn. i.e. In our own country I didn't want to look like a Chav, Bogan or whatever. They don't make them long enough to be out of sight :-)

And second, I really wanted 18 ct Gold not 24. The 24 ct just looks too yellow and 'over the top'. Again, not available :-)

It seems the only bling you can buy is for show. Looks like I'll buy a long 18 ct chain online :-)

Surely it's the 18ct gold that's for show, as the 24ct is easier to buy and sell (without too much of a loss because of the spread between the bid and offer prices).

The other thing I heard is if the chain holds an amulet, it's bad luck to sell the gold (unless upgrading - i.e. from 3 baht to 5 baht), as the gold is really for the buddha/amulet.

In an historical context, I would say that Thai ladies collect and wear gold much as the Indians in the United States collected and wore scalps from their victories. The result is the same, rich, bald men paying for that. Of course, scalping was taught by the British. Another thorn in the cap !

I may be wrong, but wasn't it French who started paying Indeans for scalps?

As to the custom of sculping it existed long before Columbus times.

I may be wrong - too far back and hard to remember... giggle.gif

**** Off topic comments edited out ****

It is an unfair observation, as it was used to be like a Thai wearing gold. Thai's remembering the crash of 1997 opt to put their saving into gold as safer than, using and saving money in a bank, Thai women in my experience, wear their gold to village festivals and I would concur it was for show, much like westerners wear, diamond, Rolex watches, expensive sports cars, etc,, not a practice only in Thailand, but more so done in the west,

Cheers:wai2.gif

Edited by metisdead
Off topic obfuscation comments edited out of reply post.

I do see proportionately more Thai's covered in gold than any other population in the world, Is it a fashion statement?

Over to you.

What's your opinion?......back to you.

You should have seen Australia in the 80's and 90's, let alone Italy around the same time. Both men and women were dripping in the stuff.

I think the Thais are just entering the "Gold Phase" so what? Much better than being adorned with Tattoos. (At least you can take off the Bling.)

I have just one question ......"does it really matter?" Who actually cares about this, each to his own and there are much better things to be concerned about than who's got what.

As Clark Gable famously said "Quite frankly my dear, I dont give a damn"

Thai chavs, the poorer they are the more gold they wear.

Haha at 20,000 for 1 baht of Gold at the moment your post kinda makes you look a little silly LOL so if they are wearing 100 baht of Gold just like the Chav farang in this thread they are poor LOL. I think there might be a little jelously there chappie

The guy in the picture has 4 kilos of Gold in his collection and is a multi millionaire (you do the math, and anyone who can wear that kind of money aint broke neither are the thais that wear it, its a sign of wealth and face just like those driving Mercs etc even hi so thais wear lots of jewelry, only thing is they wear farang jewelry which is worth less than the 96% stuff that the low so's wear.

the only people saying what you are saying is those that cant afford to wear it LOL

In reality its a form of security for some of the villagers and that is where they keep the majority of their wealth (they wear it) it can instantly be cashed in and many in the provinces prefer it to banks.

To think that everyone that wears gold is a chav is a bit ignorant I know many thais that are minted and wear lots of gold and i know some that only have what they are wearing.

ITS THAI and most thais DONT LOOK DOWN on someone wearing lots of gold they look up to them

It is quite possible to have money and be a chav you know. I can only speak from personal experience but the genuinely wealthy Thai females that I have met do not dress like a cheap hooker who just won the lottery (and neither do their husbands :))

• Like 2

Since we are talking about Thai's wearing gold.

The necklaces can be dangerous.

Sister of the Thai gf, quiet street where most people know your neighbours.

Boy on a bike did a ride by, saw the chain, did a U-Turn can back and did a snatch.

Chain broke, but he got a fistfull of it ... 3/4s of it in fact.

She's a street-wise girl (not in that way) and still she got robbed.

Not just in Thailand.

Street robbery of Asian women is high in the U.K also as they are seen as easy targets with thousands of £ draped around there necks.

Mate of mine works with the police and reckons they are specifically being targeted because of the high price of gold.

CCC

Haha at 20,000 for 1 baht of Gold at the moment your post kinda makes you look a little silly LOL so if they are wearing 100 baht of Gold just like the Chav farang in this thread they are poor LOL. I think there might be a little jelously there chappie

The guy in the picture has 4 kilos of Gold in his collection and is a multi millionaire (you do the math, and anyone who can wear that kind of money aint broke neither are the thais that wear it, its a sign of wealth and face just like those driving Mercs etc even hi so thais wear lots of jewelry, only thing is they wear farang jewelry which is worth less than the 96% stuff that the low so's wear.

the only people saying what you are saying is those that cant afford to wear it LOL

In reality its a form of security for some of the villagers and that is where they keep the majority of their wealth (they wear it) it can instantly be cashed in and many in the provinces prefer it to banks.

To think that everyone that wears gold is a chav is a bit ignorant I know many thais that are minted and wear lots of gold and i know some that only have what they are wearing.

ITS THAI and most thais DONT LOOK DOWN on someone wearing lots of gold they look up to them

Living in Issan are we?

Too be honest I found them to be the worst, HiSo wannabes most of them.

You know nothing of my financial position, but I dont suffer from such low self esteem as to try and flaunt something I dont have, a quick glance at my protfolio is enough for me.

BTW, the question was, what do you think of Thais wearing gold, not farang.

These days, she see no need in showing off, and also she is aware she makes herself a target by flashing the gold everywhere.

You mean to show off biggrin.png

Living in Issan are we?

You know nothing of my financial position, but I dont suffer from such low self esteem as to try and flaunt something I dont have, a quick glance at my protfolio is enough for me.

Naaaa mate I live in Chiang Mai and not married to an Issan bird not that I stereotype women from there which it seems you do. :)

You mean to show off biggrin.png

Correct, but less than before.

wink.png

Just a few selected nice items.

• Like 1

Living in Issan are we?

Naaaa mate I live in Chiang Mai and not married to an Issan bird not that I stereotype women from there which it seems you do. smile.png

For the first two parts of your answer, good man.

For the third part, yes guilty as charged, I guess that comes from living here and seeing what happens, no excuse really for being so cynical I will admit.

• Like 1

In an historical context, I would say that Thai ladies collect and wear gold much as the Indians in the United States collected and wore scalps from their victories. The result is the same, rich, bald men paying for that. Of course, scalping was taught by the British. Another thorn in the cap !

It is an unfair observation, as it was used to be like a Thai wearing gold. Thai's remembering the crash of 1997 opt to put their saving into gold as safer than, using and saving money in a bank, Thai women in my experience, wear their gold to village festivals and I would concur it was for show, much like westerners wear, diamond, Rolex watches, expensive sports cars, etc,, not a practice only in Thailand, but more so done in the west,

Be it vanity, status or bad taste - any explanation works with me except an investment for a rainy day.

Gold as an investment can only come from Banks in a bullion bricks stamped .9999. These you buy and sell at a firm fluctuating market price.

Any gold product (chains, rings, bracelets) including stones lose around 60% value once you paid up and went through the door. Same goes for cars.

Real estate, land and Gold Bullion are the only 'safe' investment. Shares may be good, may be not. But definitely jewelry is not.

Instant face,

When they see you they see your gold, It's not like your going to hide it now is it.

Got to love living here in Thailand.

People with real money only buy it as an investment.

People with real money here in Thailand have developed an ugly and distasteful way to show off their wealth, which has penetrated into the court systems as well.

Be it vanity, status or bad taste - any explanation works with me except an investment for a rainy day.

Gold as an investment can only come from Banks in a bullion bricks stamped .9999. These you buy and sell at a firm fluctuating market price.

Any gold product (chains, rings, bracelets) including stones lose around 60% value once you paid up and went through the door. Same goes for cars.

Real estate, land and Gold Bullion are the only 'safe' investment. Shares may be good, may be not. But definitely jewelry is not.

You are entitled to your opinion, which I am also entitled to disagree with.

I purchased a three baht gold ring in 2001 for 22,500 baht when I first came to Thailand, I held on to it and when gold hit 24,000 for one baht gold, i sold it for 72,000 baht for the 3 baht ring, making a profit of 49,500 on the initial price I paid for the gold.on my investment. ( almost enough to buy a new motor bike, cash money)

The investment you are talking about is not for the man on the street in Thailand, any Thai can buy gold for investment when they have extra money and many do not want to take chances of leaving the money in banks. If the bank fails gold while it's price fluctuate on the world market, is a safer investment than the bank crash of 1997 here in Thailand. Gold prices for 99% pure gold is worth the same price if it in a pure gold Thai necklace or in a Gold brick out of Ft. Knox,.

What you are referring to is the type of Investment Carlos Slim or Bill Gates would make, two different situation.

Just my opinion,

Edited by kikoman
  • Like 1

It's all about 'face'. 'Look at me, look how much gold I have, look how rich I am !' When you see someone covered in gold you are supposed to instantly respect them because they have more money than you do. Stupid I know but that's the way it is here...

+1...to each their own. Not my style but if they want to show their money, then who cares. Also can be dangerous.

Sounds more like the foreigners are afraid they have to provide their GF's with gold so they act like they don't like it. I really have no opinion about it its up to them. I wear a gold necklace too, normal European gold that I got when I was 16 for a graduation. Its strong, and it has sentimental value for me. I almost never take it off. If someone want to wear it let them be.

Rather see someone wearing gold then sporting a big gut and singlets. Talk about class.

I honestly have never cared for gold. I have always preferred silver, but that is probably mostly because I think it looks better on me. I hardly wear anything like that anymore, though. I also understand some of the addiction to gold, which is really throughout Asia. Especially here in Thailand and also in places like China, it is a way for them to store wealth that they might need to use later. I have no problems when my wife buys gold after running into some money. It means she is less likely to spend it until she really needs it, at which point, she sells the gold to finance whatever she needs.

Gold prices for 99% pure gold is worth the same price if it in a pure gold Thai necklace or in a Gold brick out of Ft. Knox,

an incorrect assumption Kikoman. the purchase price for 24k gold jewelry is higher than a 24k gold bar and the selling price for that piece of jewelry is lower.

it's all about face... not my style... i would never... ugly and distasteful... hi-so Thais wear lots... silver looks better... pure gold too yellow... looks like a complete idiot... skanked out bar girls are covered in the stuff... real money don't flash... by people from a previous poor background... lack of real culture and values... too much gold makes women look cheap... bla-bla-bla... bla-bla-bla... bla-bla-bla... bla-bla-bla...

cheesy.gif

guitar%20monkey.gif