Public Health Ministry to ask Thai govt to collect entry fees from foreigners

webfact

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will ad that perhaps some of that money will line the pockets of corrupt politicians, as in every country, however, it still is a great option for any tourist. I would prefer to pay 500 baht upon arrival for full health cover rather than 100-500k should I have an accident on a motor cycle or have a heart attack. This is a positive solution to an ongoing problem and I think most educated people would agree on this

Most educated people agree this is nothing but a rip-off scam to reap more money.

Most educated people would have health insurance

• Like 1

does anyone have anything objective to say and perhaps contribute to the topic in a positive way? Rather than put all of Thai society and culture down?

You're confusing "all of Thai society" with the crackpot Health Minister and his corrupt scam.

Ignoring the morals ,politics te practicalities will be interesting.

I am here long enough to recal distress at Don Muang when 500 Thai baht cash only was the exit tax.

Folks all checkin with $$s etc had to go back and change 500bahts to exit ,this has been added into to tickets at 700 per exit and is itemised on some airlines.Why not make ita grand 1000baht and pass on to MOH

Now the fee is small potatoes if you can afford to fly.

However can you imagine the queues explaining to all ages and language groups the fee.

What if you do not have any baht cash ,ATMs in arrivals ?

Will credit/visa debit cards or $ be acceptable,will receipts be issued cheesy.gif

If they wish to do it and who can blame them add it onto the exit tax,

This has the added benefit of those of us already in wont pay and nor anyone one else having the cheek to die before leaving.

Seriously this needs thinking through.

A corollary may be for low budget Asians and backpackers to fail to purchase adequate cover believing LOS will pay for them:bah:

Try Indonesia!!!

I will ad that perhaps some of that money will line the pockets of corrupt politicians, as in every country, however, it still is a great option for any tourist. I would prefer to pay 500 baht upon arrival for full health cover rather than 100-500k should I have an accident on a motor cycle or have a heart attack. This is a positive solution to an ongoing problem and I think most educated people would agree on this

Most educated people agree this is nothing but a rip-off scam to reap more money.

really? Prove it

I chatted to a few Thai's about the surcharge on foreigners, about knowingly charging any one of us more than the Thai's, wondering how this is possible in a culture so apparently sensitive to a faith where the foundation is on giving and receiving, on 'cause and effect' and the concept of what you put out there is what comes back to you.

Needless to say that their blatant focus on money, on "getting", simply affirms a lack of self acceptance. The response I got was some distorted idea that this is separate from their faith, that ' ..they see it as business, if you look like you are richer, they see it as business to charge you more than the other person ..."

You formulate this opinion by asking "a few Thais"? I doubt that any Thai person would say (re requesting furangsI pay for health care upon arrival) would say it's about "business"

My post was a general comment on overcharging. In that respect, yes, I ' formulated this opinion ' and yip a few Thai's I spoke to said just that, each in their own way - that this is business. Fascinating that you find that hard to believe?

As an educated man I do not formulate an opinion from the comments of a few individuals. Most educated Thais that I know would never say it's business, but "necessary", as the general consensus for Thai ppl now is, "why, as a tax-payer do I need to foot the bill for tourists health insurance?".

I have been married for almost 10 years to an educated Thai lady with 2 wonderful kids. Her opinion is important to me and she will not include something so trivial as corruption into a debate about a health insurance scheme that obviously benefits all. Thus, my opinion is objective not subjectively based on the opinions most of the parrots here

The examples you provide only support a subjective opinion. Objective opinion is based upon facts, that as far as I am aware have yet to be finalised and published in relation to this topic.

I worked with government and corporate world educated professionals for 30 years & not once did I ever hear the the term 'Bro" being used either in business or private conversations, even by US nationals. Out of curiosity I looked up the definition of Bro "An alpha male idiot" amongst other not so complimentary examples. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bro

I worked, I did, I experienced etc etc etc...."I do therefore I am right "bro". It's a nice definition that you googled but really only demonstrate banality on your part, since it's not even the correct definition by any means. You still haven't said anything "objective" since objective means to have an opinion based on research, not fact, in the sense that you understand the word? Never-the-less, I'm still calm and have no need to "shout out" my opinions without any proof

Just having a bit of fun pointing to some online definitions of 'Bro' that you may not be aware. Disagree on your interpretation of objective opinion, but nevermind...

Great, i agree unlimited medical coverage for 500 baht at any hospital you choose in Thailand......

there we go

I choose Bumrungrad hospital.

Do you really think they are going to provide unlimited medical coverage to me because I paid a 500 baht fee at the airport two months ago?

cheesy.gif

"most educated people"

biggrin.pnglaugh.png

"Most educated people would have health insurance"

What in the world does health insurance have to do with education? Should we also show our degrees as we pass through immigration?

This is not world first.

Many country have such law.

Some even force you to exchange x dollars per day to their currency.

Concrete examples please, genius.

The United states charges $14 entrance fee for 36 different countries. Laos charges on a sliding scale, with us Canucks paying the most $42 but in thai baht closer to $50. Argentina and Chili charge Americans and Canadians $160 to enter. Just google and a lot of countries charge. http://www.gate1travel.com/departure_tax.aspx

What in the world does health insurance have to do with education? Should we also show our degrees as we pass through immigration?

lol

This is not world first.

Concrete examples please, genius.

The United states charges $14 entrance fee for 36 different countries. Laos charges on a sliding scale, with us Canucks paying the most $42 but in thai baht closer to $50. Argentina and Chili charge Americans and Canadians $160 to enter. Just google and a lot of countries charge. http://www.gate1travel.com/departure_tax.aspx
and there we have it...

Great, i agree unlimited medical coverage for 500 baht at any hospital you choose in Thailand......

there we go
I choose Bumrungrad hospital.

Do you really think they are going to provide unlimited medical coverage to me because I paid a 500 baht fee at the airport two months ago?

cheesy.gif

"most educated people"

biggrin.pnglaugh.png

I do believe that if you're taken to hospital because you have been beaten senseless for banality and ignorance that you will receive 'adequate' care. You only need to read the stories on this forum to understand the amount of farung taken to hospital for for similar reasons. Do some research on this site and discover how many farung check into a hospital without paying the bill. In your home country will yon tolerate it? Again more banality

Says it all. Current cost to government THB 300 million, they will raiseTHB 10 billion with new tax.

I would not be so cynical if just a few THB found their way into country improvements such as repairing/constructing pavements, removing/stopping fly tipping of rubbish. A groundbreaking concept, which like the ostrich will never fly.

what am i missing? i have been in hospitals in thailand and always paid for the services. i thought the reason for demonstrating money in the bank or income was to ensure that foreigners had the means to take care of themselves.

i have been reading that thailand is paying for medical servises for tourists. why isn't the government demanding payment from the foreigners' health coverage or other sources?

confused.

That's fine if its for medical fees , cause if I don't use the hospitals the money will be returned ? yes ?

If not , then its not for medical fees .. just a SCANM tourist tax .. lol coffee1.gif

when I use thai hospitals I pay for treatment , then get it back through my insurance .. that's the point of

taking out insurance to cover medical emergency. or theft , whatever..

will the hospital services be free now ?

This is not world first.

Enlighten us Spare, where in the hell would that be?

The German Democratic Republic did that.

You had to change 20 Deutsch Mark into 20 Ostmark.....but that was a while ago!

He seems to have forgotten the 548 Billion Baht in revenue that tourists bing in (2012's figure).

Even discounting that the math doesnt add up

10 Billion revenue to cover 300 Million in fees????

I would even question the figure of 300 million baht, A short while ago there was a related thread regarding Farang unpaid bills for treatment in Phuket, if memory serves me correct, the figure quoted was 4 million baht.

Now considering that Phuket is a major destination for both Farang tourist and ex-pats, yet the figure there is only 4 million, so where in Thailand is the other 296 million not being collected?.

What are the similar figures for unpaid tourist treatment in other countries? I would suspect the amount not collected by the NHS in the UK for unpaid tourist treatment will be astronomical,including those incurred by Thai tourist and Thai ex-pats, although most Thai ex-pats in the UK would not be included, as they can easily obtain British citizenship, unlike the Brits here in Thailand.

That wouldn't impress your average bored out of his mind immigration official. He's probably got a degree as well...!

This is not world first.

Name them

Bhutan has one. $100 per day per person.

But the idea is to forcefully LIMIT tourism so the country isn't over run by them.

• Like 1

The original post I read must be distorted.

It does not mention 500 baht health insurance for foreigners.

It mentions a fee of 500 baht for foreigners to (possibly) help cover the shortfall in healthcare costs being borne by some hospitals due to foreigners not having sufficient funds.

Good luck if you think this gives you insurance for your stay here.

Other posts ramble on about how this crazy, can't be done etc. Well it is called the Rule of Law. Those who Rule can make the Laws. Simple really. Fair? Probably not but this is the world we choose to live in.

To the long term residents who are not leaving the country every 90 days or so, then the 500 Baht fee will not apply.

To the "Long Term Tourists" who stay in the country by any and all means, visa runs etc - you will pay and rightly so. You claim to be a tourist? Then pay.

This all assumes of course that the tax eventuates.

Edited by Mudcrab
  • Like 1